PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose: It's not about this year

Rose'sACL
11-11-2014, 06:16 PM
"I'm thinking about long term. I'm thinking about after I'm done with basketball. Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don't want to be in my meetings all sore or be at my son's graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. [I'm] just learning and being smart."
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/11860080/derrick-rose-chicago-bulls-acknowledges-concerns-long-term-health

Great to see that he can see the big picture.

Mr. Jabbar
11-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Ain't got the killer instinct. Not the chosen one. you are a good human being rose but we will have to wait for the next kobe

Haymaker
11-11-2014, 06:19 PM
So, seems like he's kinda giving up. Hard to blame him, it must be frustrating to see your own body breaking down when you have so much talent.

outbreak
11-11-2014, 06:23 PM
As much as he is right that players should be worried about their post career health at the same time that sounds like he should have never become a basketballer. He's been paid an insane amount of money to give it 100% and to put his body on the line. Soldiers can't sign up, go to war, then say **** it I don't want to get hurt and just cruise through a campaign.

ihoopallday
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
As much as he is right that players should be worried about their post career health at the same time that sounds like he should have never become a basketballer. He's been paid an insane amount of money to give it 100% and to put his body on the line. Soldiers can't sign up, go to war, then say **** it I don't want to get hurt and just cruise through a campaign.

Spot on :applause:

chazzy
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Nice username, OP

The_Pharcyde
11-11-2014, 06:32 PM

nor is Rose risking getting a bullet through his head

idiotic comment

this guy just had 2 major knee surgeries that held him out from age 23-26....
I expect him to be thinking big picture
and Rose giving his 100% effort is never a problem
this is a guy who would be in tears after losing an AAU game

outbreak
11-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Spot on :applause:

It's one thing if the doctors are rushing him back but if it's himself worrying about how he will feel when he's old than he picked the wrong profession.

Haymaker
11-11-2014, 06:42 PM
It's one thing if the doctors are rushing him back but if it's himself worrying about how he will feel when he's old than he picked the wrong profession.

This. So much contrast between what he just said and what Steve Nash said the other day. You become a basketball player to leave everything on the floor, even your post retirement health.

STATUTORY
11-11-2014, 06:45 PM
:facepalm this dude cannot seriously be a chitown product with that talk

Pointguard
11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Rose plays hard all the time and stills drives as much as any player, and still does harder cuts than any player. If he is playing conservative, and still going as much as _________ (said player) then what is it saying about the league.

I<3NBA
11-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Derrick Rose aint about that life

Nash
11-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Rose is set though. He signed that max contract and that big Adidas contract as well. MVP trophy in the bag. He has made his money, he can play basketball on his own terms now.

Fire Colangelo
11-11-2014, 09:07 PM
The ****?

How many injuries did Kobe play through? How many injuries did Iverson play through? Nash's had back injuries throughout his career and he gave everything he had until he was like 40 years old. Wtf did Rose do? Sit on the bench and watch his team get eliminated from the playoffs because he has muscle memory problems?

Remember when Yao injured his leg and begged his coach to let him play? Hell, he was practicing free throws in a ****ing wheel chair when he went down. That's love and passion for the game.

This ****ing guy.

:facepalm

If he doesn't wanna get injured again, he can change his play style. Work on his 3, working on his mid range jumper, work on his passing, instead of whining like a over-privileged bitch.

Elosha
11-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Rose plays hard all the time and stills drives as much as any player, and still does harder cuts than any player. If he is playing conservative, and still going as much as _________ (said player) then what is it saying about the league.

This. Even though I don't particularly like the sentiment of Rose's comments, I don't see him slacking off in his play on the court. As long as the effort is there on the court - and he doesn't sit out of games for any run of the mill ache or pain - I don't care what he says. Actions speak louder than words. I'd rather have Rose healthy and playing hard now. This is the Bulls year, if everyone stays healthy and jells, they've got a great opportunity to win it all.

Undisputed
11-11-2014, 11:12 PM
So people are saying Rose isn't "leaving everything on the floor" now? hahah. I thought the thing was, "Rose goes too hard and it's going to end his career early" for a while there. Oh sports fans, the bipolar is strong with you.

Rose can never be accused of not trying to win when he's physically capable. He just went through quite the mental and physical ordeal with his knee injuries. What you're seeing is a man who believed himself invincible coming to terms with his vulnerability. What he's saying is that he will not risk putting himself out there when he shouldn't even be playing basketball, lest he pay for it with something permanently debilitating.

Budadiiii
11-11-2014, 11:16 PM
So people are saying Rose isn't "leaving everything on the floor" now? hahah. I thought the thing was, "Rose goes too hard and it's going to end his career early" for a while there. Oh sports fans, the bipolar is strong with you.

Rose can never be accused of not trying to win when he's physically capable. He just went through quite the mental and physical ordeal with his knee injuries. What you're seeing is a man who believed himself invincible coming to terms with his vulnerability. What he's saying is that he will not risk putting himself out there when he shouldn't even be playing basketball, lest he pay for it with something permanently debilitating.
He's a bum and his contract is the biggest joke in the history of sports.

Rose is a very very very fragile human, physically and especially mentally. He's just not meant for the jungle of the NBA.

The weak don't survive. RIP Derrick.... your 2011 campaign was the highlight of your career and your life.

nathanjizzle
11-11-2014, 11:17 PM
people are being to critical of rose. Hes misunderstood here, or he misspoke. all he is saying is that hes looking to stay healthy long term than just to go all out for the year because he knows he doesnt have any longevity with that kind of all out style of play.

Undisputed
11-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Rose is a very very very fragile human, physically and especially mentally. He's just not meant for the jungle of the NBA.

The weak don't survive. RIP Derrick.... your 2011 campaign was the highlight of your career and your life.
I disagree. For obvious reasons. There will be more to come from Rose. :rockon:

JT123
11-12-2014, 12:10 AM
:facepalm How this guy has any fans at all is beyond me. Can you imagine if Lebron had said something like this? :oldlol: This thread would already by 25 pages long, but since Rose is irrelevant nobody cares.

ballinhun8
11-12-2014, 12:22 AM
:facepalm How this guy has any fans at all is beyond me. Can you imagine if Lebron had said something like this? :oldlol: This thread would already by 25 pages long, but since Rose is irrelevant nobody cares.

He's not irrelevant. That's what probably urkes you so much.

He's one of the most popular players in the league. One that gets MVP chants in a ton of arenas. One that gets the oohs and aahs no matter where he's playing. But stay sad and parhetic. Its what you do best troll.

Pointguard
11-12-2014, 01:37 AM

Its the Lion that wakes up one day and says I'm going to prove myself as the youngest ever, most valuable piece in the jungle and then does it. Its the sheep that resents it.

How this guy has any fans at all is beyond me. Can you imagine if Lebron had said something like this? This thread would already by 25 pages long, but since Rose is irrelevant nobody cares.
Its pretty obvious why Lebron would get more attention if he said that... Its because Lebron had twice quit on his team when totally healthy.

Chrono90
11-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Mamba mentality: every year, every game counts

TheMan
11-12-2014, 02:16 AM
The jimmies rustled is strong with this one

MMM
11-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Not even a rose guy but playing through injuries is probably what cost him his acl injury. He had a ton of small nagging injuries in 2011-12, mostly hamstrings iirc but Rose is a guy that shouldn't play out of alignment in general. He is a gifted athlete and his play style is too aggressive to go out with minor hiccups because they can develop into major issues down the road.

MMM
11-12-2014, 02:24 AM
Bulls fan can key into this more than me but I'm 99% sure that all his lower leg injuries in 2011-12 contributed to his ACL injury.

oarabbus
11-12-2014, 02:25 AM
people are being to critical of rose. Hes misunderstood here, or he misspoke. all he is saying is that hes looking to stay healthy long term than just to go all out for the year because he knows he doesnt have any longevity with that kind of all out style of play.

This. Like you said either he misspoke or was misunderstood, but For him saying he's "being smart", it surely wasn't very smart to say this. These words will be taken out of context and criticized.

Honestly it's a shitty situation. On one hand, I don't blame the guy, no one asks for injuries and Rose has god-given talent that few have. If anyone doesn't believe he'd rather be out there uninjured, tearing up the league, they're crazy. But there is life after sports and if you're 43 and can hardly walk due to bad knees, no one gives a **** about you and your former pro career for the most part.

At the same time I can empathize with Chicago fans that this guy has been paid tons of money to put his body on the line, for better or worse.

MMM
11-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Going through his injury history he was mainly healthy until 2012. Then was hit with multiple lower body injuries and apparently he was rushed back from his first injury. He than went on to having toe, groin and back issues before blowing his ACL. Not sure but i remember him having hamstring issues as well.

YaoArizaClutch
11-12-2014, 02:34 AM
thiss n*gga aint from chiraq BRUH
BITCH ASS NIKKA DAWG

BigBoss
11-12-2014, 02:41 AM
You don't live forever D-Rose. What are you saving it for.? You're in the prime of your life to find success and provide for your family. Your a professional athlete the injuries come with the territory. Smarten up. Or man up for that matter.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Beta

russwest0
11-12-2014, 03:32 AM
Give this kid Westbrook's heart and mentality and it'd be game over for the rest of the NBA.

Sad.

russwest0
11-12-2014, 03:34 AM
The ****?

How many injuries did Kobe play through? How many injuries did Iverson play through? Nash's had back injuries throughout his career and he gave everything he had until he was like 40 years old. Wtf did Rose do? Sit on the bench and watch his team get eliminated from the playoffs because he has muscle memory problems?

Remember when Yao injured his leg and begged his coach to let him play? Hell, he was practicing free throws in a ****ing wheel chair when he went down. That's love and passion for the game.

This ****ing guy.

:facepalm

If he doesn't wanna get injured again, he can change his play style. Work on his 3, working on his mid range jumper, work on his passing, instead of whining like a over-privileged bitch.

Yup.

There are stories of John Stockton's ankle swelling up to the size of a softball, and he'd still hide it from trainers so that he could play.

Meanwhile Rose gets a short, insignificant ankle injury and is thinking about meetings in the future and a bunch of other dumb shit :facepalm