PDA

View Full Version : I'm having problems with a Professor at school. Need ISH's advice

BigBoss
11-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Alright this is the first time in my life that i've ever had a problem with a teacher/professor. I'm doing a masters degree right now so i'm dealing with a guy who has a PhD.

Here's the deal with this class that bugs me

1. It's his first time teaching the course. He skips around and the class is not very organized. He'll jump from Chapter 1, into 15, then back to 2. Then he just repeats himself and confuses the section of the course.
2. He switched up the entire breakdown for the course. I don't know WHEN i'm being tested, HOW i'm being tested, or in WHAT format. He's literally just doing it on the fly and giving you 48 hour advance notice " Oh and you have a exam in 2 days on this topic" :biggums:
3. He doesn't respond to ANY of my e-mails. He's ignored the last 3 I sent when I asked for clarification on exams.
4. We had an online quiz thats worth 10% that was posted last Friday. It didn't work. I e-mailed him about it. No response. Monday lecture--he says it's resolved now. I attempt the quiz. I get locked out by mistake. Now I can't complete the quiz and I got a zero :biggums: I e-mailed the prof about it. He doesn't reply again :biggums:
5. I got up and walked out of his class half way into lecture the other day. And he e-mails this to everyone this

When you come late or leave class early it's a good habit to nod, or even better to tell your professor before the class begins. Occassionally, we are all late or have to leave early.

I left out a few other things, but this guy is just ****ing around and not doing his job right. What should I do ISH?

dilley
11-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Not reading, poison his coffee.

BigBoss
11-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Not reading, poison his coffee.

He said first day of class with a pedo smile. Come to my office if you need help i have chocolate. :biggums:

ZeN
11-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Ask yourself: What would Zach Morris do?

DeuceWallaces
11-12-2014, 12:52 AM
If it's a grad course he can mostly do what he wants. Skipping around in the book is not a sin. The order is the order he/she chooses. Coursework during graduate work is kind of bullshit anyway.

If you're truly working on your masters you should probably just learn to do with it; you should have more important things to worry about.

ace23
11-12-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm doing a masters degree right now so i'm dealing with a guy who has a PhD.
What does that have to do with you doing a master's?

DeuceWallaces
11-12-2014, 01:01 AM

Maybe he's doing his masters at a community college and wants us to know that he only takes classes from the top dogs, but he's having trouble adjusting.

BigBoss
11-12-2014, 01:14 AM

Why are you so mad? LOL

ace23
11-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Why are you so mad? LOL
Idk

BigBoss
11-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Idk

Then why did you post dummy. Don't forget to take your medication tonight ya stanky angry person

NBAplayoffs2001
11-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Welcome to higher education in America

oarabbus
11-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Alright this is the first time in my life that i've ever had a problem with a teacher/professor. I'm doing a masters degree right now so i'm dealing with a guy who has a PhD.

1. It's his first time teaching the course. He skips around and the class is not very organized. He'll jump from Chapter 1, into 15, then back to 2. Then he just repeats himself and confuses the section of the course.
2. He switched up the entire breakdown for the course. I don't know WHEN i'm being tested, HOW i'm being tested, or in WHAT format. He's literally just doing it on the fly and giving you 48 hour advance notice " Oh and you have a exam in 2 days on this topic" :biggums:
3. He doesn't respond to ANY of my e-mails. He's ignored the last 3 I sent when I asked for clarification on exams.
4. We had an online quiz thats worth 10% that was posted last Friday. It didn't work. I e-mailed him about it. No response. Monday lecture--he says it's resolved now. I attempt the quiz. I get locked out by mistake. Now I can't complete the quiz and I got a zero :biggums: I e-mailed the prof about it. He doesn't reply again :biggums:
5. I got up and walked out of his class half way into lecture the other day. And he e-mails this to everyone this

I left out a few other things, but this guy is just ****ing around and not doing his job right. What should I do ISH?

If you're in your Masters' program you're basically out of luck like DeuceWallaces said. If it's an elective class especially the prof has free reign to do whatever the **** they want.

The only thing is #2, I'm pretty sure any respectable university has a course syllabus rule that states that every class must have the course exam dates set at the beginning of the course and only moved when necessary, and the students need sufficient time (more than a week certainly). You can bring it up with the administration if you're willing to do so.

tomtucker
11-12-2014, 03:43 AM
problem is, that you are teasing him..........suck his big dick and get it over with, you will feel better afterwards

Bandito
11-12-2014, 05:46 AM
What is your masters ?

Dresta
11-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Just tell him that you think his subject and the material he teaches is a whole load of shit. It's pretty much what i did with most of my Undergrad assignments, alongside never going, because the reality is that most lecturers are poor at what they do, rigid academics incapable of thinking for themselves or of questioning the conventional wisdom of their disciplines. If you stop caring you'll feel better, and University isn't really worth caring all that much about, because it's just school 2.0 these days. In many cases you can get a better education on your own, without the huge financial expenditure (not had to deal with this as i never went in the US), so it's a shame people still care about those worthless bits of paper being catapulted out of Universities in exchange for $60,000 or something. The system is just a complete disgrace, and it's gradually corroding all around the world (and will only get worse).

5 years in further education education, and I only really had 2 teachers who i actually respected and whose opinions i valued, and i've been to 3 highly rated institutions.

9erempiree
11-12-2014, 06:33 AM

It is a graduate course and you are at an age where you should be mastering what you are taught. They should not have to tell you in advance of an exam. 2 days is ample time since you are suppose to be mastering the course with homework and by studying. Being a master should mean full understanding of the subject when questioned randomly. I am pretty sure you know a lot about basketball.

Not answering emails is unacceptable because this particular professor I have has a daytime job and she still answers them in real time. Which I sort of hate because that means nothing gets lost through communication.

Also, if he has a syllabus, it is a binding contract between professor and student. Like I said, it is on you to master the course even if he had a syllabus with dates subject to change.

Shitty unorganized professor and for being a shitty student is recipe for disaster.

9erempiree
11-12-2014, 06:39 AM
The only thing is #2, I'm pretty sure any respectable university has a course syllabus rule that states that every class must have the course exam dates set at the beginning of the course and only moved when necessary, and the students need sufficient time (more than a week certainly). You can bring it up with the administration if you're willing to do so.

Liberal Art Majors.:facepalm

GimmeThat
11-12-2014, 07:09 AM
you've only had problems with one professor your entire life up to now

lucky you

Bourne
11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't understand the negative responses in this thread. This guy is coming here with a legit problem and is seeking to deal with it in a responsible way, and most of you are acting like ignorant 12 year olds. Whatever the reasons for that behaviour are, you should never be like that outside of your own head. Grow up.

OP, are you able to drop by the professor's office? If you establish a relationship with him it will get your foot in the door to resolve the issues you are having. Not saying you should confront him or even raise the issues in a friendly way, but just go talk to the guy about something in the course and that can make all the difference.

GimmeThat
11-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't understand the negative responses in this thread. This guy is coming here with a legit problem and is seeking to deal with it in a responsible way, and most of you are acting like ignorant 12 year olds. Whatever the reasons for that behaviour are, you should never be like that outside of your own head. Grow up.

OP, are you able to drop by the professor's office? If you establish a relationship with him it will get your foot in the door to resolve the issues you are having. Not saying you should confront him or even raise the issues in a friendly way, but just go talk to the guy about something in the course and that can make all the difference.

in the game of "you weren't there for me"

the winner usually goes to

"if you can't find me at the coffee shop, or if you can't find me at my home, then I'm probably on my way between the coffee shop and home"

DukeDelonte13
11-12-2014, 09:18 AM
you need to email him again about that 10% quiz.. that's unacceptable if what you are saying is true, but i'd have a hard time believing it if you are the only one out of the class that f*cked that quiz up.

The rest of what you are saying doesn't matter. Sometimes you get a great professor, sometimes you get a sh*thead.

My rule of thumb for higher education was always choose the professor first rather than the class.

DeuceWallaces
11-12-2014, 11:31 AM
If you're in your Masters' program you're basically out of luck like DeuceWallaces said. If it's an elective class especially the prof has free reign to do whatever the **** they want.

Most every syllabus will have a small clause in there that all things are subject to change. It's a nice fail-safe that protects them from everything.

Seriously though, at that stage of education you really shouldn't be bitching about this stuff.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-12-2014, 07:58 PM
you need to email him again about that 10% quiz.. that's unacceptable if what you are saying is true, but i'd have a hard time believing it if you are the only one out of the class that f*cked that quiz up.

The rest of what you are saying doesn't matter. Sometimes you get a great professor, sometimes you get a sh*thead.

My rule of thumb for higher education was always choose the professor first rather than the class.

I would rep you if I could :applause:

waseem780
11-12-2014, 08:36 PM
without the knowledge to lead you just follow the sheep OP

oh the horror
11-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Well are we all at least in agreement that the professor should be responding to emails?

NBAplayoffs2001
11-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Well are we all at least in agreement that the professor should be responding to emails?

one professor I had did this to the whole class. Didn't respond to emails and by the last week of the term, he realized his mistake. We ended up getting a huge extension that forced him to grade the papers within two nights. Was a very difficult paper, I ended up doing decent on it but that extra time and the fact he looked over it once helped.

But occasionally, some professors forget to respond. They read your email but forget to do so which sometimes is understandable if it's not a major issue.

But in this case OP, your professor should be emailing you back. I would talk to someone like the department head about this specific professor.

oarabbus
11-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Liberal Art Majors.:facepalm

Try engineering jackass. Yeah keep talking shit, you clearly have never taken an engineering test.

Most every syllabus will have a small clause in there that all things are subject to change. It's a nice fail-safe that protects them from everything.

Seriously though, at that stage of education you really shouldn't be bitching about this stuff.

True, true, they technically can get away with basically whatever they want, which is what I originally stated to OP. I'm doing my masters as well and for a quick second was wondering if OP was a classmate of mine :oldlol: I have a professor similar to OPs, but yup. At this point in your academic career you need to put up or shut up. The material is more difficult and in depth but I've found undergrad was more harsh regarding grading.