PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler - The best perimeter defender in the league and MIP candidate

poido123
11-14-2014, 09:31 AM
His season so far has elevated to near all star level.

His offense has improved, he is keeping very good offensive players quiet, and his defense is nasty.

So good at competing to the end of the play. Even if the man beats him, he will quickly recover and contest the shot, often resulting in a block. He's also crazy good at picking off steals in the passing lanes.

If he isn't the best perimeter defender now, I'd say he's pretty damn close. Allen is good, but I think Jimmy is right there with him now.

Wait til Cavs meet the bulls again. I predict lebron goes for less than 20.

F.CK I messed up the title. Stupid auto correct.

Should be MIP candidate sorry

r15mohd
11-14-2014, 10:04 AM
MIP is likely going into Bosh's trophy case...that is definitely out of the question for Butler.

him and Allen are a toss up for defenders IMO, both shine

poido123
11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
MIP is likely going into Bosh's trophy case...that is definitely out of the question for Butler.

him and Allen are a toss up for defenders IMO, both shine

But has Bosh really Improved?

He's always been a 20 and 10 player, but his role was reduced with lebron around.

Butler has genuinely made a leap.

r15mohd
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM

He's always been a 20 and 10 player, but his role was reduced with lebron around.

they won't factor in a diminished roll IMO...it'll be by stats and impact from previous year(s)

Jlamb47
11-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I think Butler has a better chance of getting MIP than Bosh. Bosh didnt reduce his play Lebron did. The best perimeter defender is Leonard though. Butler is top 5 though.

poido123
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I think Butler has a better chance of getting MIP than Bosh. Bosh didnt reduce his play Lebron did. The best perimeter defender is Leonard though. Butler is top 5 though.

I don't know man.

I disagree but it's a homer thing for both of us here :lol

Dragic4Life
11-14-2014, 10:43 AM

can't help yourself but mention Lebron eh?:oldlol: :facepalm

ffs even in your own thread.

TheMan
11-14-2014, 10:47 AM
His season so far has elevated to near all star level.

His offense has improved, he is keeping very good offensive players quiet, and his defense is nasty.

So good at competing to the end of the play. Even if the man beats him, he will quickly recover and contest the shot, often resulting in a block. He's also crazy good at picking off steals in the passing lanes.

If he isn't the best perimeter defender now, I'd say he's pretty damn close. Allen is good, but I think Jimmy is right there with him now.

Wait til Cavs meet the bulls again. I predict lebron goes for less than 20.

F.CK I messed up the title. Stupid auto correct.

Should be MIP candidate sorry
:applause:

Jimmy Buckets has pleasantly surprised me, I thought he could be a 16-18 pts per game defensive stud but the way he's improving on the offensive side of the ball, 22-24 isn't out of the question (he's averaging 20 right now) as I think he's going to keep improving on his shooting, especially beyond the three point line. He's a nice slasher and has a natural knack of drawing fouls. He's going to only get better, boderline All Star potential. We need to sign him long term ASAP.

Magic731
11-14-2014, 10:49 AM
can't help yourself but mention Lebron eh?:oldlol: :facepalm

ffs even in your own thread.
I don't see how you can possibly dispute what he said. It's not even a knock on Lebron.

plowking
11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Jimmy ain't close to being the best defender in the league. He has a big security blanket, and has his entire career with two big 7 footers behind him.

He plays defense the same way Kobe used to, and the way Paul George does with Hibbert behind him. He is over aggressive and funnels the ball into the bigs. Half the time he is simply over aggressive and not even meaning to do it, but due to having a great defensive big behind him, it works out.

He isn't close fundamentally on the defensive side to someone like Draymond Green or even Leonard, who is slightly overrated himself.

All Net
11-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Add me to the Jimmy fan club..Love what I'm seeing this year. It means bulls don't need rose playing non stop to get a top record.

Jlamb47
11-14-2014, 11:37 AM
I heard he didnt take Bulls last offer, i wonder if hes trying to leave for a bigger contract.

Dengness9
11-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Jimmy ain't close to being the best defender in the league. He has a big security blanket, and has his entire career with two big 7 footers behind him.

He plays defense the same way Kobe used to, and the way Paul George does with Hibbert behind him. He is over aggressive and funnels the ball into the bigs. Half the time he is simply over aggressive and not even meaning to do it, but due to having a great defensive big behind him, it works out.

He isn't close fundamentally on the defensive side to someone like Draymond Green or even Leonard, who is slightly overrated himself.

He made all nba 2nd team defense, so Ill take that as a better representation of his defensive skills as opposed to your statement about him not "being close".

Im not saying hes the best defender, but hes in the top tier of perimeter defenders in the league, and saying hes not is false based off his award recognition and from watching him play. He's strong and makes his defender work for almost everything, hes a doberman out there.

Jimmy was the last pick in the 1st round when he came out and was suppose to be a 2nd round pick. His offense is only now coming around, but this guy has made a name for himself by playing some of the grittiest D in the L. Ill take that over someone completely discrediting him on a message board.

dontgetchoked
11-14-2014, 12:44 PM
He made all nba 2nd team defense, so Ill take that as a better representation of his defensive skills as opposed to your statement about him not "being close".

Im not saying hes the best defender, but hes in the top tier of perimeter defenders in the league, and saying hes not is false based off his award recognition and from watching him play. He's strong and makes his defender work for almost everything, hes a doberman out there.

Jimmy was the last pick in the 1st round when he came out and was suppose to be a 2nd round pick. His offense is only now coming around, but this guy has made a name for himself by playing some of the grittiest D in the L. Ill take that over someone completely discrediting him on a message board.
And he's held lebron to 24 points on 44% in the playoffs.
http://footbasket.com/nba/stats-show-lebron-james-struggles-against-bulls-jimmy-butler/

andremiller07
11-14-2014, 06:01 PM
He's Wes Matthews on roids (Wes got him in 3 point shooting), I love Jimmy Buckets game dude has zero fear and he reminds me of Mike Tyson for some reason.

poido123
11-14-2014, 06:28 PM
I heard he didnt take Bulls last offer, i wonder if hes trying to leave for a bigger contract.

I heard bulls negotiated up to 11.5 mil, but jimmys agent wanted 12 to 12.5 mil a year, but bulls management wanted a hometown discount.

Parties set to renegotiate in the summer. Jimmy has gone on record saying he will remain a bull and this is his home. Says that he is confident that the contract will sort itself out.

poido123
11-14-2014, 06:33 PM

You don't watch enough bulls games bro.

Jimmy consistently defends his direct opponent without the need for secondary help. He is the elite man defender that you think LeBron is from our previous conversations.

This has to be one of your most inaccurate posts that I've seen.

JonatanRey
11-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Yes, he is the best perimeter defender in the game, but I think guys like Draymond Green are Tony Wroten are over him in the race for MIP.

fpliii
11-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Was going to write up a rebuttal, but my man Iggy looks bad this year. :facepalm

I think Butler might be the guy this season TBH. We'll see.

BIZARRO
11-14-2014, 07:08 PM
For me and most of my friends in Chicago, Jimmy Butler is our favorite player. Just SICK on the defensive end, and is such a great guy/teammate.

Now that he's adding 20 ppg to the equation, there aren't too many players I'd take over him. I wonder if I could find 25 players I'd take over him. Probably not.

Meticode
11-14-2014, 07:13 PM
If Butler keeps these numbers out I think he'll beat Bosh out. Last season Butler averaged 13.1 PPG, 40% FG%, 28% 3P%, 4.9 RPG, 2.6 APG. This season he's doing 19.7 PPG, 52% FG%, 38% FG%, 6.3 RPG, 3.8 APG.

I think that beats out what Bosh is doing.

JonatanRey
11-14-2014, 07:13 PM
there aren't too many players I'd take over him. I wonder if I could find 25 players I'd take over him. Probably not.

Wait, you are putting him on the Al Jefferson-Kyrie Irving conversation... Ok... you are right ;-)

poido123
11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Yes, he is the best perimeter defender in the game, but I think guys like Draymond Green are Tony Wroten are over him in the race for MIP.

Wrotens numbers and role will shrink with the return of MCW.

I like Draymond green a lot and I think he has a good case so far.

BIZARRO
11-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Wait, you are putting him on the Al Jefferson-Kyrie Irving conversation... Ok... you are right ;-)

Not sure what part of your comment is serious or a joke. And I wouldn't put somebody on a conversation, I would put them in a conversation.

Not comparing him to anybody in particular, just saying that there probably aren't 25 players I would take over Jimmy Butler right now, with his total floor impact considered. And I fully stand by that.

OG LeeTSkeeT
11-14-2014, 07:30 PM
he should get MIP based off his hot mom.

JonatanRey
11-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure what part of your comment is serious or a joke. And I wouldn't put somebody on a conversation, I would put them in a conversation.

Not comparing him to anybody in particular, just saying that there probably aren't 25 players I would take over Jimmy Butler right now, with his total floor impact considered. And I fully stand by that.

No joke. Most people would say Al Jefferson or Irving are way over him but I think his impact in the game is comparable to both.

plowking
11-14-2014, 08:20 PM
You don't watch enough bulls games bro.

Jimmy consistently defends his direct opponent without the need for secondary help. He is the elite man defender that you think LeBron is from our previous conversations.

This has to be one of your most inaccurate posts that I've seen.

Lebron his first two years in Miami was a better defender than Jimmy is, and will ever be more than likely. Irrelevant though in regards to your topic.

The whole Bulls defense is predicated on the perimeter being aggressive and forcing rushed shots as the ball is forced into the interior. Why do you think they play a strong side overload? Thibs is the coach that essentially invented and refined it to a point of perfection. He made it what it is when he was an assistant at the Celtics. That whole defense is all about secondary help and funneling.

He is a good defender, as seen by his 2nd team all defense, but he isn't the best, nor does the defensive system require him to be.

poido123
11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Lebron his first two years in Miami was a better defender than Jimmy is, and will ever be more than likely. Irrelevant though in regards to your topic.

The whole Bulls defense is predicated on the perimeter being aggressive and forcing rushed shots as the ball is forced into the interior. Why do you think they play a strong side overload? Thibs is the coach that essentially invented and refined it to a point of perfection. He made it what it is when he was an assistant at the Celtics. That whole defense is all about secondary help and funneling.

He is a good defender, as seen by his 2nd team all defense, but he isn't the best, nor does the defensive system require him to be.

No version of Lebron has ever been better than current Butler on defense.

What you say about Thibs is correct, however the funnelling and secondary help is in place for not so good perimeter defenders to be helped, guys who lose their man routinely.

If butler is passed off the dribble he will recover and either block the shot or contest it. That goes against what you are saying about leaning on secondary help and funnelling, he is good enough to hold his direct opponent.

You are so way off reality here, there really isn't a common ground to discuss.

eeeeeebro
11-14-2014, 09:24 PM
He is the definition of an all-star right now.. HE was drafted into the league as a great defender in college.. IF you look at his body (not gay) but dude is ripped so physicaly he is capably of anything anybody else is doing. To add to that he is knocking shots down and he is playing with high IQ dude is now Dwane wade level.

nathanjizzle
11-14-2014, 09:27 PM
butler is a stud on defense.

Twiens
11-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Am I alone in thinking Jimmy has been the Bulls best player this year? Phenomenal for my fantasy team too

JohnFreeman
11-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Am I alone in thinking Jimmy has been the Bulls best player this year? Phenomenal for my fantasy team too
Gasol

Twiens
11-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Gasol

Maybe, I prefer Jimmy's 2-way game i guess

G-train
11-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Bosh won't win MIP lol
Either will Butler when he settles into 45% fg and 16-17ppg

fsvr54
11-14-2014, 10:17 PM
He is NOT a better defender than Tony Allen.

All Net
11-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Maybe, I prefer Jimmy's 2-way game i guess

Think they have been pretty even