PDA

View Full Version : MJ 37 pts & Gamewinner vs Hawks (1998)

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-15-2014, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTcrzofcjg

Steve Smith getting free lessons form Yoda Mike. Damn :oldlol:

The no-look, layup towards the end of the vid is one I don't think I've seen (surprisingly). Great game and finish.

SamuraiSWISH
11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
No Hops.

Bad Wrist.

No Pippen for 1/2 a season.

Broken down Rodman.

Most reliable players? Jason Caffey, Randy Brown.

Ever inconsistent Toni Kukoc.

@ 35 years old ... SMH, he carried a heavy load for us. 62 wins. Especially considering the weight of expectations of a back to back team that won 72, and 69 games.

All 82 games, 3x years in a row.

MVP.

Yoda Mike.
Fadeaway Jordan.

GOAT was GOATIN

Kobe is 36, just a year older going 1 for 14 on a team that can't win games to save their life. Puts things into perspective.

sportjames23
11-15-2014, 08:35 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ImKobe
11-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Lebron bout to do the same

ImKobe
11-15-2014, 08:37 PM
No Hops.

Bad Wrist.

Broken down Rodman.

@ 35 years old ... SMH, he carried a heavy load for us. 62 wins. Especially considering the weight of expectations of a back to back team that won 72, and 69 games.

MVP.

Yoda Mike.
Fadeaway Jordan.

GOAT was GOATIN

Kobe is 36, just a year older going 1 for 14 on a team that can't win games to save their life. Puts things into perspective.

Yes, MJ at 35 is comparable to a 36-yr-old Kobe, who's coming off two major injuries. MJ at 35 played in his 12th NBA season and basically had 2 seasons of rest (the stint at the end of the 94-95 season was him just getting back in shape).. There's a big difference.

MJ at 35 is comparable to 2012/2013 Kobe.

3ball
11-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Yes, MJ at 35 is comparable to a 36-yr-old Kobe, who's coming off two major injuries. MJ at 35 played in his 12th NBA season and basically had 2 seasons of rest (the stint at the end of the 94-95 season was him just getting back in shape).. There's a big difference.

haha... not even close... by the time january rolls around, kobe will be just like jordan was as a wizard - broken down and needing a couple weeks off....

jordan's numbers through 50 games in his first wizards season were better than kobe's are now, but his body broke down after that.

but when jordan was 35, he put up a 28.1 PER in the playoffs, which is insane and a record for a 35 year-old (it would be 5th highest of lebron's career, same as his 2013, only WITH goat clutch and fearlessness)...

regarding goat clutch - jordan had the goat clutch plays in 1998... jordan basically still had IT that year.... kobe doesn't, but still has the skills to get by (sure, kobe can still average 20ppg+, but for kobe, that's still a letdown.. i feel for you but get used to it kobe fans).

T_L_P
11-16-2014, 04:31 AM
The greatest basketball player to ever live.

c5terror
11-16-2014, 06:11 AM
No Hops.

Bad Wrist.

Broken down Rodman.

MVP.

Yoda Mike.
Fadeaway Jordan.

GOAT was GOATIN

Can't resist to dis kobe don't we?

Bless Mathews
11-16-2014, 06:26 AM
The greatest basketball player to ever live.

Poast of the decade.

No doubt about it. Anyone that thinks other, don't know basketball from badminton.

9erempiree
11-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Damn...his game reminds me of Kobe's.

:bowdown:

Dragonyeuw
11-16-2014, 08:14 AM

This MJ vs Kobe from age 1-100 debate is really getting ridiculous. Their careers didn't have the same trajectory age by age, each of them have had little gaps in play ( MJ's second season and 'retirements', Kobe pretty much missing the past year until this season). MJ carried a much higher burden from the time he entered the league, and was an iron man in his own right with several 80+ game seasons in addition to long playoff runs; Kobe was a bench player the first 3 seasons, and didn't really carry too much of a burden till his 4th year, and even then he was playing next to a 28 year old Shaq putting up 30/13/4/3. Let's not also forget that in addition to MJ carrying a higher burden from the beginning of his NBA career, he was also playing 3 seasons of college basketball. Now, who would have 'more mileage' on their body; MJ's 3 college seasons or Kobe's first 3 NBA seasons, the first of which he averaged 8 minutes a night?, the second averaging 26 but didn't have to carry much weight with Shaq, Eddie Jones, and Van Exel on the team. Kobe didn't play any meaningful basketball in terms of both impact on the success of the team, big minutes and production, until his 4th year.

The reality is, both Kobe and MJ have GOAT level longevity for perimeter guards aided by their extremely high skill levels. Comparing them age by age is a really simplistic and flawed way to measure them as players.

Dragonyeuw
11-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Any kind of athletic competition takes it's toll on the body. Not selectively just basketball. Or even more selectively, strictly NBA basketball.

Bingo.

ImKobe
11-16-2014, 08:26 AM
This MJ vs Kobe from age 1-100 debate is really getting ridiculous. Their careers didn't have the same trajectory age by age, each of them have had little gaps in play ( MJ's second season and 'retirements', Kobe pretty much missing the past year until this season). MJ carried a much higher burden from the time he entered the league, and was an iron man in his own right with several 80+ game seasons in addition to long playoff runs; Kobe was a bench player the first 3 seasons, and didn't really carry too much of a burden till his 4th year, and even then he was playing next to a 28 year old Shaq putting up 30/13/4/3. Let's not also forget that in addition to MJ carrying a higher burden from the beginning of his NBA career, he was also playing 3 seasons of college basketball. Now, who would have 'more mileage' on their body; MJ's 3 college seasons or Kobe's first 3 NBA seasons, the first of which he averaged 8 minutes a night?, the second averaging 26 but didn't have to carry much weight with Shaq, Eddie Jones, and Van Exel on the team. Kobe didn't play any meaningful basketball in terms of both impact on the success of the team, big minutes and production, until his 4th year.

The reality is, both Kobe and MJ have GOAT level longevity for perimeter guards aided by their extremely high skill levels. Comparing them age by age is a really simplistic and flawed way to measure them as players.

Which is why I made my post. Nikkas here comparing them age by age :facepalm, thanks for explaining my point further.

Dragonyeuw
11-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Which is why I made my post. Nikkas here comparing them age by age :facepalm, thanks for explaining my point further.

One thing I will give Kobe, and this is not in comparison to MJ or anyone for that matter, he has an incredibly high threshold of pain and ability to play through it, adjust his game accordingly, and remain effective. I think that is more impressive than this arbitrary method of comparing him age by age, season by season, with other greats.

Modern science is allowing players to play longer nowadays than before. 30-40 years ago, you were pretty much done as a player by 35 years old but look at guys like Duncan and Dirk, still all-star caliber at 36 and 38. KG was still pretty damn good right through to 36 when he suddenly fell off a cliff in Brooklyn. But overall, players are playing longer and better at advanced ages compared to years past. The main difference is, as far as guards go age impacts them differently since so much of their games are based on mobility and quickness, this is where Kobe's skill level comes through( and MJ's).