PDA

View Full Version : Should the post-Stern NBA re-evaluate the role of fighting?

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 07:04 PM
We're officially not in the Stern era anymore. So, I'm thinking fighting needs to be a re-evaluated part of the game of basketball. NBA basketball used to have an element of fighting in it for the first 40 or 50 years of its existence and fighting had been a staple of pro basketball long before that. Much like Hockey, in a good competitive game of basketball it would not be unusual to witness a fight.

Now of course Malice in the palace changed things a bit because fans got involved, so how about add a clear plexi-glass wall (a-la Hockey) to keep players and fans separated. So if players get in a scuffle they can exchange some blows, be slapped on the wrist with a fine maybe even the league could entertain the idea of a time out box like Hockey, that way there are still deterrents in place to keep trivial fights from starting. The sport re-gains its "physical" label it once had, fake-tough guys are weeded out, and the game has a new dimension of big enforcers actually being able to, you know, enforce again.

Discuss.

FKAri
11-15-2014, 07:15 PM
They should allow the fighting but there should be some kind of barrier in place between the fans and the players. We don't want another malice in the palace. Maybe erect a fence around the court? The players should also be required to be properly protected from harm by having to wear gloves. And so it does not descend into chaos they should only allow 2 opposing players on the court at the same time and a buzzer signalling when the contest is over.

IncarceratedBob
11-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Im afraid your idea would add a 'zoo' element to the NBA arenas. And knowing how sensitive black people are they would make sure this idea never got off the ground. There's no place for fighting in a professional NBA game, wanna see people fight? Watch MMA or boxing

navy
11-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Your delusional if you think this will happen.

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Your delusional if you think this will happen.
I'm a regular ISH poster, of course I'm delusional. We all are :D

navy
11-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm a regular ISH poster, of course I'm delusional. We all are :D
The nba is a predominately african american sport. You really letting the "thugs" fight could help anyone at all? Who would benefit from this? The truth is people talk about physically and wanting to see it but when it happens suddenly the perpetrators are in the wrong. (And they are)

Richard Sherman cant even yell at Michael Crabtree without being called a thug. And you think the NBA should take a look at it's fighting rules?

You've got the wrong idea.

BasedTom
11-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Adding the glass would kind of suck. Part of the fun is when players dive for the ball into the first row, or when a block sends the ball flying. Not to mention that it's like you're right there in the middle of the action

A Penalty box would be cool though...No more of that HOLD ME BACK foolishness

NoGunzJustSkillz
11-15-2014, 07:32 PM
The nba is a predominately african american sport. You really letting the "thugs" fight could help anyone at all? Who would benefit from this? The truth is people talk about physically and wanting to see it but when it happens suddenly the perpetrators are in the wrong. (And they are)

Richard Sherman cant even yell at Michael Crabtree without being called a thug. And you think the NBA should take a look at it's fighting rules?

:lol

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 07:33 PM
:lol
What he' saying is, only allow the white players to fight

BasedTom
11-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Sherman was desperately trying to become a household name...and it worked. But now he's been exposed this year and his 15 minutes of fame are coming to an end. (TY BASED MADDEN CURSE)

In a couple of years you'll be seeing the dumb prick delivering pizzas and scrubbing toilets

Real Men Wear Green
11-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Hypothetical: With fighting now legal, for some reason 5 out of the 7 games in the Thunder/Warriors series Kendrick Perkins and Steph Curry traded blows. I can't fathom why. Guess they just don't like each other.

We don't want to have a situation where you can send in a less important player to rough up a more important player. It can already kind of happen when stars fall for some agitators antics and get double-techs.

Adding in the fact that there's no benefit to permitting fighting? Silver isn't going to consider this at all.

red1
11-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Hypothetical: With fighting now legal, for some reason 5 out of the 7 games in the Thunder/Warriors series Kendrick Perkins and Steph Curry traded blows. I can't fathom why. Guess they just don't like each other.

We don't want to have a situation where you can send in a less important player to rough up a more important player. It can already kind of happen when stars fall for some agitators antics and get double-techs.

Adding in the fact that there's no benefit to permitting fighting? Silver isn't going to consider this at all.
derrick rose would get injured just watching two other players fight

tpols
11-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Thats why the stars need their enforcers.. like in hockey. You touch the superstar your 'star' gets hit back.. or you personally. Charles Oakley, Ron Artest, Anthony Mason type players.

Mr Exlax
11-15-2014, 07:53 PM
I would be all for fighting again. Let's be honest though, 3/4 of these hoes won't swing anyway. I do feel that it's needed in the nba. Would make the games more competitive and get us out of this friendly shit.

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 07:55 PM

That honestly used to be a variable of the game. Pests and enforcers used to try and start fights or finish them against better players. Not sure of any stories where the better players ever lost their cool or lost a fight to a point that it cost them anything. So I'm not sure that would become a huge problem, these things have a way of balancing themselves out.

Real Men Wear Green
11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Thats why the stars need their enforcers.. like in hockey. You touch the superstar your 'star' gets hit back.. or you personally. Charles Oakley, Ron Artest, Anthony Mason type players.
That would be how teams dealt with the issue but it's easier to simply have no issue.

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 07:58 PM
That would be how teams dealt with the issue but it's easier to simply have no issue.
True ...albeit slightly less entertaining

Real Men Wear Green
11-15-2014, 07:58 PM
That honestly used to be a variable of the game. Pests and enforcers used to try and start fights or finish them against better players. Not sure of any stories where the better players ever lost their cool or lost a fight to a point that it cost them anything.
NBA players aren't skilled fighters but plenty of them are big, strong, and thus capable of dealing damage. Enough hits to the head and someone is bound to get a concussion, broken nose, lose teeth, black eyes, etc. And for what benefit? The NBA has no reason to bring fighting back. It makes no sense.

navy
11-15-2014, 07:59 PM
What he' saying is, only allow the white players to fight
What Im saying is fighting would have the counter effect you are looking for. Only leaving room for ostracizing.

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2014, 08:05 PM
What Im saying is fighting would have the counter effect you are looking for. Only leaving room for ostracizing.
I was kidding. You're probably right in that in our world of prejudice a league of 70% black American players allowed to fight would put said black Americans under unfair scrutiny even though everyone should know better that fighting would happen (if allowed) no matter what the majority demographic the league was. The thing is though, the league has already been 70% black Americans with fighting allowed (1980's, early 90's). I'm not aware of any racial uproar about it, but maybe I'm ignorant to it.

AboutBuckets
11-15-2014, 08:14 PM
The thing is though, the league has already been 70% black Americans with fighting allowed (1980's, early 90's). I'm not aware of any racial uproar about it, but maybe I'm ignorant to it.

Problem is that was the era before social media and the pussification of our culture.

navy
11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I was kidding. You're probably right in that in our world of prejudice a league of 70% black American players allowed to fight would put said black Americans under unfair scrutiny even though everyone should know better that fighting would happen (if allowed) no matter what the majority demographic the league was. The thing is though, the league has already been 70% black Americans with fighting allowed (1980's, early 90's). I'm not aware of any racial uproar about it, but maybe I'm ignorant to it.
Different era. This is more of a 90s/post 90s stigma that African Americans deal with. The Malice in the Palice and the desire to force an nba dress code right around that time period clearly had racial undertones. The nba suffered from that period and they know it.

I dont see who would benefit from letting the players thug it out on the court. You really think it would be okay if players started throwing punches when the got mad at each other? At least in hockey they are white. Not being serious. They are padded.