PDA

View Full Version : Brandan Wright is shooting 77.4% from the field

RRR3
11-16-2014, 01:05 PM
After shooting 67.7% last year.

Discuss. Anyone watch him play? Thoughts?

DMAVS41
11-16-2014, 01:10 PM
All of his baskets come on pick and roll flashes to the rim/lobs.

He does have a nice touch around the paint though as well, but it's mainly due to excellent pick and roll play by him and the Mavs guards...spacing of the offense...and his freakish athleticism and long arms.

Hard to take that away when you have Ellis, Dirk, Parsons...etc. just waiting to kill you if you shift over too much.

Edit...he also just has amazing chemistry with Devin Harris. They rarely don't read a play perfectly and almost always play together.

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Dunks/hooks and fouls. Pretty much his game.

JohnMax
11-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Kobe is jealous

Akrazotile
11-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Kobe is missing 77% from the field.

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Not yet.

dunksby
11-16-2014, 01:18 PM

He does have a nice touch around the paint though as well, but it's mainly due to excellent pick and roll play by him and the Mavs guards...spacing of the offense...and his freakish athleticism and long arms.

Hard to take that away when you have Ellis, Dirk, Parsons...etc. just waiting to kill you if you shift over too much.

Edit...he also just has amazing chemistry with Devin Harris. They rarely don't read a play perfectly and almost always play together.
So basically he is a very smart player who knows his own strengths and weaknesses. Perfect role player.

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
So basically he is a very smart player who knows his own strengths and weaknesses. Perfect role player.

Yep, very much in the Birdman mould on offense.

pastis
11-16-2014, 01:24 PM
nearly 95% of his buckets are made when he is completly open and max. 2 feet from the basket

he is a scrub on defense, cant stand anything, give me birdman all day over wright. all day.

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:26 PM
nearly 95% of his buckets are made when he is completly open and max. 2 feet from the basket

he is a scrub on defense, cant stand anything, give me birdman all day over wright. all day.

The point was on offense, I agree birdman is a far superior on the defensive end.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Hes the same impact player as Deandre Jordan. Get all their points on lobs/dunks and is overrated defensively when all he has are his physical tools/athleticism

Kblaze8855
11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Once Deandre Jordan hits the career minimum for FGA for the league to count him I believe he will have the highest career shooting percentage of all time. Hes over 65% in over 400 games. He shot 63 and 64% in his two worst seasons of the last 5 years. 73% this season. Hes had multiple years over 67%.

Current all time leader? Tyson Chandler.

These role player dunkers.....

Darryl Dawkins was like that for a while...but he had a jumper too.

DMAVS41
11-16-2014, 01:39 PM

On offense? Absolutely...especially in the regular season.

Defensively? Ugh...he gets lost a lot and he's very frail so he gets pushed around a lot. If he can get his defense right by the playoffs...it would be huge for us.

There is a reason Rick only played him like 15 mpg last year against the Spurs...with Dalembert at center.

STATUTORY
11-16-2014, 01:40 PM
wow according to the statheads here if we let him take 30 shots per game he would make 25 of them

new wilt?

dunksby
11-16-2014, 01:45 PM
On offense? Absolutely...especially in the regular season.

Defensively? Ugh...he gets lost a lot and he's very frail so he gets pushed around a lot. If he can get his defense right by the playoffs...it would be huge for us.

There is a reason Rick only played him like 15 mpg last year against the Spurs...with Dalembert at center.
But do you think he can get it right on defense as well? Chandler could be a great mentor for him if Wright has the tools.

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:48 PM
But do you think he can get it right on defense as well? Chandler could be a great mentor for him if Wright has the tools.

No, he can't. He doesn't possess the physical qualities to be a great defender in the NBA, he could be a net zero with some tutelage from Tyson.

DMAVS41
11-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Sure...it's possible, but he's not that young anymore and he kind of is who he is I would imagine.

But I hope so...would be huge if he could give us 20 to 25 minutes of his offense and at least even defense in the playoffs. Would make life on Dirk/Chandler a lot easier in a playoff series or potential run (if we get there)...

Hey Yo
11-16-2014, 01:51 PM

So he's basically just a Chandler jr.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-16-2014, 01:54 PM
So he's basically just a Chandler jr.
Chandler is elite defensively so no
Deandre Jordan is a better comparison

ImKobe
11-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Wright > Kobe, right? :roll:

VengefulAngel
11-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Wright > Kobe, right? :roll:

Possibly, at this point Kobe is one of the worst players in the NBA ( A bit of an exaggeration) .All advanced metrics actually show Wright has more of impact towards winning basketball games.

ImKobe
11-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Possibly, at this point Kobe is one of the worst players in the NBA. All advanced metrics actually show Wright has more of impact towards winning basketball games.

Don't get banned.

Hey Yo
11-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Chandler is elite defensively so no
Deandre Jordan is a better comparison
Elite is a stretch at this point, but my fault for not specifying "offense" in my last post.

Chandler has wasted his career by never learning how to dribble the ball so he can post up. A center who's 7-1 and avg. less than 4fta a game is ridiculous. Basically no chance of getting other C's in foul trouble when you have no go to moves cause you can't dribble or shoot

15mil for a rim protector, who's short tempered, is quite the price to pay.

dunksby
11-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Sure...it's possible, but he's not that young anymore and he kind of is who he is I would imagine.

But I hope so...would be huge if he could give us 20 to 25 minutes of his offense and at least even defense in the playoffs. Would make life on Dirk/Chandler a lot easier in a playoff series or potential run (if we get there)...
Any pro basketball player can make a difference on defense in my opinion, as long as they try, let alone someone who plays regularly in the NBA.

eklip
11-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Elite is a stretch at this point, but my fault for not specifying "offense" in my last post.

Chandler has wasted his career by never learning how to dribble the ball so he can post up. A center who's 7-1 and avg. less than 4fta a game is ridiculous. Basically no chance of getting other C's in foul trouble when you have no go to moves cause you can't dribble or shoot

15mil for a rim protector, who's short tempered, is quite the price to pay.

On offense Chandler is much better at setting screens, but Wright is (much) better at finishing around the rim. He has a bigger range and a softer touch.

RRR3
11-16-2014, 03:15 PM
wow according to the statheads here if we let him take 30 shots per game he would make 25 of them

new wilt?
No one is saying that. If he was capable of that, he'd be starting and a featured option. But he is extremely efficient at what he does, obviously knows his limits. I need to get a laptop so I can actually watch some damn games :mad:

DMAVS41
11-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Any pro basketball player can make a difference on defense in my opinion, as long as they try, let alone someone who plays regularly in the NBA.

At guard or wing? Yea...I'd probably agree with that outside a couple exceptions.

At center? No...so much of it has to do with things beyond effort. Wright just gets muscled around so much...and it's a bit unfair because we ask him to do things way outside of his comfort zone.

Dirk...even at this point in his career....is a better defender than Wright. Or at least he was last year...I haven't seen enough to make that statement this year I guess.

andremiller07
11-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Great energy big man off the bench and he's got the master of lay up/lob passes to play with in Jameer great fit for both.