PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission

QUIZZLE
11-17-2014, 07:26 PM
How long did it take you to learn it? My car of five years is about to shit the bed, and I found the car I've been looking for at a great price but it's a stick shift.

I'm not going to go in there and buy the thing without knowing how to drive it, but was just wondering if you guys think it's something one could get down in a short period of time.

iTare
11-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Took me a few days to be able to get around town without stalling all the time
I was however learning in a 420 hp car with a short shifter, a stage 2 clutch and turbo.

I love driving stick , yes homo. It makes driving more enjoyable, IMO. Like when you have to beat a yellow light and you drop a gear, so fun. You feel way more in control of your car and also the gas mileage is generally better.

Give it a try, you wont regret it.

fiddy
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Muricans talking about manual transmission like its rocket science :roll::roll::roll: Its fun, you will get used to it within a week

Trollsmasher
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Muricans talking about manual transmission like its rocket science :roll::roll::roll: Its fun, you will get used to it within a week
:lol

QUIZZLE
11-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Can you buy Fudge Rounds in Bulgaria?

Stay in Bulgaria.

Shave your ballhairya.

fiddy
11-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Can you buy Fudge Rounds in Bulgaria?

Stay in Bulgaria.

Shave your ballhairya. Why so salty? Because driving a car with a manual transmission is "too much footwork" for you? :oldlol:

PHX_Phan
11-17-2014, 08:04 PM
It's not hard at all. I was thrown into the fire and put in the driver seat on a main road. I think I stalled it twice and had the idea down after a few blocks.

I prefer manuals to autos.

QUIZZLE
11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Why so salty? Because driving a car with a manual transmission is "too much foorwork" for you? :oldlol:

Yeah, too much foorwork. Too much work of the foor. I can't work my foors or foor my work. Dammit.

ihoopallday
11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Honestly took me like half a day on some open roads in the country to learn the basics. Only thing that took me a while to get used to is reversing. Stalled a lot when I first started. Once you find that sweet spot on your clutch though, it's all good from there. Good luck!

Crown&Coke
11-17-2014, 08:44 PM
It's easy to learn. It's like riding a bike, getting over the fear of it is the only hard part. Once you realize how cake it is you will be smooth sailing.

I learned in a day. I taught my brother in 15 minutes, while I was drunk off my ass (he took a cab to pick me up but I was too faded to remember he couldn't drive my car)

The hardest part is going to be going up hills. Save trying to learn that shit for later

Get out of first and you are good. And getting out of first is all about balance in your footwork

Traffic will be a bitch tho, only downside for me

DwnShft2Xcelr8
11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Really easy to learn. It took me a couple days to get it down right. I even taught a couple people how to drive manual transmission after teaching myself.
Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission. Really fun to drive. Only time it sucks is when you're in stop 'n go traffic, but I don't mind it too much.

theballerFKA Ace
11-17-2014, 10:48 PM
I remember back in the day TMac had his Lamborghini converted to automatic because he was too stupid to figure it out. I have had 3 cars and Toyota pickup with manual trannys. I miss them dearly except in heavy traffic.

ihoopallday
11-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Really easy to learn. It took me a couple days to get it down right. I even taught a couple people how to drive manual transmission after teaching myself.
Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission. Really fun to drive. Only time it sucks is when you're in stop 'n go traffic, but I don't mind it too much.

I was in downtown LA about two years ago and wondered how the heck people there can drive stick on a daily basis. :oldlol: My knee would be on fire from using the clutch

pauk
11-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Are you saying in America its not obligatory to learn & drive a manual shifter to get a license? :biggums:

Dude, learn manual shift immediately, so much more fun to drive, especially if its a sports car. I hate automatic, especially if its on a car with much bhp, what a god damn bottleneck.

b1imtf
11-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Pretty easy tbh. Yesterday I drove a smart for the first time and I had a tough time at the beginning. So used to my clutch.

MadeFromDust
11-18-2014, 01:53 AM
OP loves trannies and their stick shifts

TheGreatBlaze
11-18-2014, 02:01 AM
How long did it take you to learn it? My car of five years is about to shit the bed, and I found the car I've been looking for at a great price but it's a stick shift.

I'm not going to go in there and buy the thing without knowing how to drive it, but was just wondering if you guys think it's something one could get down in a short period of time.
It's like riding a bike once you know how to do it. Took me less than a half an hour to learn. I like driving manual over automatic, plus you get better gas mileage.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
11-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Are you saying in America its not obligatory to learn & drive a manual shifter to get a license? :biggums:

Dude, learn manual shift immediately, so much more fun to drive, especially if its a sports car. I hate automatic, especially if its on a car with much bhp, what a god damn bottleneck.

Most ppl in the USA don't know how to drive stick. Someone correct me if I am wrong but i remember hearing that Ferrari no longer makes stick shift cars, only paddle shifters and automatics.
Most ppl here are too fat. They can't eat their mcdonalds and shift at the same time, so its automatic tranny mode.
I'm too lazy to look it up but i remember reading an article a few years back that said only 7% of new cars sold in America per year are manual transmission.

magic chiongson
11-18-2014, 09:28 AM
i first learned how to drive manual before auto. i haven't been driving manual for almost 10 years when i went overseas earlier this year and had to drive a manual car..it wasn't so bad. you get used to it in a few minutes and i only got the engine killed less than 5 times over about 8 hours of driving (usually when trying to park). sucks when you get stuck in stop and go heavy traffic under very hot conditions

Dresta
11-18-2014, 09:38 AM
It's easy. After a few days practice you won't even think about it. Though probably makes sense to practice starting on hills and stuff like that when you haven't got another car on your bumper.

n00bie
11-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Took me a few days to be able to get around town without stalling all the time
I was however learning in a 420 hp car with a short shifter, a stage 2 clutch and turbo.

I love driving stick , yes homo. It makes driving more enjoyable, IMO. Like when you have to beat a yellow light and you drop a gear, so fun. You feel way more in control of your car and also the gas mileage is generally better.

Give it a try, you wont regret it.

More info on the car?

dunksby
11-18-2014, 10:51 AM
My dad's car was a stick and I learned driving on it, had to drive a stick to get my license anyway so driving an automatic has always been secondary. That said driving manual is unnecessary unless you drive a sports car but it's much more fun than an automatic.

alenleomessi
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
about 2 hours

DukeDelonte13
11-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Most ppl in the USA don't know how to drive stick. Someone correct me if I am wrong but i remember hearing that Ferrari no longer makes stick shift cars, only paddle shifters and automatics.
Most ppl here are too fat. They can't eat their mcdonalds and shift at the same time, so its automatic tranny mode.
I'm too lazy to look it up but i remember reading an article a few years back that said only 7% of new cars sold in America per year are manual transmission.

something like 2% of all cars sold in the states are manual. Ferrari uses it's paddle shifters because they actually shift faster than a standard manual.

But for OP it won't take you long at all. It's easy, anybody can do it.