PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is averaging 8 assist opportunities per game

Jacks3
11-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Which is more than any non-PG in the entire league outside of Harden, Wade, Evans, Hayward, and Batum.

B-b-b-b I thought he never passed?!

He's also Kob is #57 in the league in terms of touches per game and #38 in terms of time possession. Not even the leader on his own team in either of those stats.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/passing/
http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/possessions/

:oldlol:

STATUTORY
11-19-2014, 01:47 AM
shade of michael plus shade of magic

this is something special we are witnessing this sesaon

SugarHill
11-19-2014, 01:48 AM
assist opportunities? lol

9erempiree
Kobe's greatness is unparalleled. Only MJ can match him.

LoneyROY7
:facepalm

Jacks3
11-19-2014, 01:51 AM
assist opportunities? lol
That's right. Not his fault his teammates are missing WIDE OPEN shots off his passes.

SugarHill
11-19-2014, 01:51 AM
lmao assist opportunities. bbbut if they scored doe

aj1987
11-19-2014, 01:53 AM
:facepalm :facepalm

AnaheimLakers24
11-19-2014, 01:53 AM
lmao assist opportunities. bbbut if they scored doe
hey if people use garbage stats like per 48 :lol than let him use this

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Kobe turning all his teammates into spot up shooters :facepalm:

PsychoBe
11-19-2014, 01:55 AM

this nikka :roll: :roll: :roll:

Burgz V2
11-19-2014, 02:04 AM
assist opportunities: the stat created by Kobe stans.

kingsfan
11-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Look up his points opportunity too.

Droid101
11-19-2014, 02:07 AM
irony alert

Genaro
11-19-2014, 02:15 AM
You guys don't use tracking stats? I thought everyone look them once in a while.
A stat that I like is the rebounding without no one close by. Its good to combat some good rebounder myth.

SugarHill
11-19-2014, 02:16 AM
:roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2014, 02:17 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cocaine80s
11-19-2014, 02:18 AM
Assist opportunities? lmao

is this how far kobe has fallen where fans have to resort to this?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Seriously though, all this tells me is that he puts his teammates in a tough position to score when he passes to them.

6 for 24
11-19-2014, 02:47 AM
OP, I believe you are either mistaken or not up to par with the current statistical standards. Kobe is averaging 15.2 Kobe-assist-opportunities alone per game! I'm sure if you include his non-Kobe-assist-opportunties, the total is more like 16.2! I don't know where you came up with 8.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye

Smoke117
11-19-2014, 02:57 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

Kvnzhangyay
11-19-2014, 02:59 AM

:lebronamazed: :lebronamazed: :lebronamazed: :lebronamazed:

sportjames23
11-19-2014, 03:06 AM
That's right. Not his fault his teammates are missing WIDE OPEN shots off his passes.

Maybe they're not used to passes coming from Kobe? :confusedshrug:

AirFederer
11-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Assist opportunities?
Is this what his "defence" has come to?
Lol

Nice game vs Hawks, doe. Team game!

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2014, 05:18 AM
Which is more than any non-PG in the entire league outside of Harden, Wade, Evans, Hayward, and Batum.

He's also Kob is #57 in the league in terms of touches per game and #38 in terms of time possession. Not even the leader on his own team in either of those stats.

Actually it's not. Tyreke, LeBron, Lance, Bledsoe (depending on what you consider him), and Oladipo are all higher as well.

coin24
11-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Seriously though, all this tells me is that he puts his teammates in a tough position to score when he passes to them.

They're bricking wide open shots... Legit no defense in sight:oldlol:

Wow you spend a lot of time on here posting about Kobe and the Lakers, like seriously all day and night.. How is Kobe living rent free in your head this badly???:lol :lol :lol You must lead an exciting life to meltdown this bad

J Shuttlesworth
11-19-2014, 06:06 AM
But I thought LeBron stans are the ones who bring up useless stats all the time :coleman:

Bandito
11-19-2014, 06:15 AM
But I thought LeBron stans are the ones who bring up useless stats all the time :coleman:
They are.

ImKobe
11-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Actually it's not. Tyreke, LeBron, Lance, Bledsoe (depending on what you consider him), and Oladipo are all higher as well.

So what? Point is that Kobe passes the ball every game, not a single 0 assist game so far this season.

Andrei89
11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Assist opportunities? LOLZ

Dragic4Life
11-19-2014, 08:46 AM

DrunkenDave
11-19-2014, 09:04 AM
He averages 3.7 assists, while averaging 7.8 "assist opportunities". That means his teammates convert at a 47.4% rate after a Kobe assist opportunity. 47%>>>39%, therefore Kobe should pass more. Thanks for clearing that up OP.

SpanishACB
11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
He averages 3.7 assists, while averaging 7.8 "assist opportunities". That means his teammates convert at a 47.4% rate after a Kobe assist opportunity. 47%>>>39%, therefore Kobe should pass more. Thanks for clearing that up OP.

the above quoted sounds like a troll attempt but it's pure basketball logic.

Something Kobe doesn't seem to grasp.

Nash
11-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Kobe should actually lead this category. All of his bricks should be considered assist opportunities.

Dave3
11-19-2014, 09:32 AM

There's a certain someone missing from that statement...

Kblaze8855
11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
This is one of those things that makes me question what some are watching....

Forget Kobe for a moment...

All stars pass to teammates. The issue is....are they being properly setup to score or being begrudgingly passed the ball a couple seconds after they should be...and in poor position to be effective.

If you could track it I doubt there is a massive difference in how much someone like Mark Jackson passed the ball and someone like Steve Francis. The difference is one is a playmaker...the other dribbles into bad situations and hesitates to give it up until he has no choice.

They might both result in a good number of passes to somewhat open teammates but that doesn't mean they are creating equally good chances for the right teammate to score in the way that teammate is best used.

Coaches, HOF players, current teammates, and longtime fans don't all make comments about a lack of trust and questionable decisions over nothing.

We all know Kobe is a hesitant passer....especially when he feels his team is in a rough patch. He mentioned it himself. He feels its his duty to keep the team in the game. And even when hes in that mode....he still technically passes...often to a teammate who shoots.

But there is a massive difference between an under pressure hesitant dumpoff to Jordan Hill at 19 feet who doesn't want to shoot but cant exactly pass up the wide open look and creating a shot offenses look to generate. You can get Jordan Hill a midrange jumper all day and teams wont really try to stop you.

Handling the ball vs a team that knows you want to shoot and waiting until that is your best option because after the trap everyone but his man retreated to prevent the kickout may well be generating an assist....chance.

That doesn't make it the right thing to do.

You wouldn't have multiple vets talking about trust and an excess of Kobe aggression...and coaches talking about finding better balance...and guys with 40 years in the game mentioning the lack of ball movement when he gets it....if he were doing a good job getting others going and getting them shots they want/are effective taking.

Virtually everyone in the NBA can score....the "scrubs" might wet 75-100 in a row in practice. They aren't just...bad basketball players.

A huge number of missed assist chances...often just means the players aren't being used to their strengths.

Kobe was never a playmaker in that....generate the shots my less talented teammates thrive on way.

Hes a playmaker in that...drive and kick....pass out of the double...quick dropoff to the bigman when his man moves to close off the lane...playmaker.

Most great scorers are. But he takes it another step a lot of times.

Kobe is one of the most "He passed...but he didn't want to" players ive ever seen. Which doesn't mean he isn't great....better players than him have been the same way(Jordan for most of his career).

But it is what it is.

You cant compare those guys to players who just move the ball...when it should be moved.

There is a big difference in how an offense functions when the best player passes when he must....vs passing because its the right thing to do. Even if both guys have about the same number of assists.

kentatm
11-19-2014, 11:43 AM
:biggums: :facepalm :roll:

damn.... these Kobe-stans really can't handle that their golden god has caused himself to be in this shitty situation.

G0ATbe
11-19-2014, 11:44 AM
GOAT gonna GOAT:applause: .

retaxis
11-19-2014, 11:59 AM
You guys don't use tracking stats? I thought everyone look them once in a while.
A stat that I like is the rebounding without no one close by. Its good to combat some good rebounder myth.
stats don't matter when you start playing on the court. You either win with hustle or you lose. If I start throwing elbows and growling at people, Im going to get rebounds more often with no one close by. All these stats just put the game in a different light, a false light.

deja vu
11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Holy shit... :roll:

OP slayed.

ArbitraryWater
11-19-2014, 12:16 PM
They are.

I like Jacks, but he brings this shit too far...

I still remember this:

http://i.gyazo.com/c7aecf7187d2c3d3e758243d1a173121.png

"adjusted for league average"

classic

Demitri98
11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
This kind of stuff is fcuking stupid. If those guys are non-PGs averaging more, then he ISN'T averaging the most of non-PGs. You can't just omit some players from stats in order to prop up another.

By this logic, LeBron James has scored the most points in NBA history outside of Kareem, Malone, MJ, Kobe, Wilt, Shaq, Moses, Hayes, Dirk, Hakeem, Oscar, Dominique, KG, Reggie Miller, Jerry West, Pierce, Duncan, Ewing, Ray Allen, AI and Barkley.OP is a fcuking idiot.

riseagainst
11-19-2014, 12:27 PM
I like Jacks, but he brings this shit too far...

I still remember this:

http://i.gyazo.com/c7aecf7187d2c3d3e758243d1a173121.png

"adjusted for league average"

classic

should've adjusted everything to league average.

kurple
11-19-2014, 12:32 PM
isnt every pass an assist opportunity?

so kobe averages 8 passes a game. higher than i thought it would be

jzek
11-19-2014, 12:44 PM
not even real assists but assist opportunities! lmao! :roll:

you guys are reaching way too hard...

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2014, 12:46 PM
finally a stat that makes up for kobes lack of a competent cast :applause:

f0und
11-19-2014, 12:55 PM

#57 in touches, but far and away #1 in chucks

DJ Leon Smith
11-19-2014, 01:00 PM
finally a stat that makes up for kobes lack of a competent cast :applause:

If only this stat existed in 2004 when Kobe lost in the NBA Finals to Chauncey Billups.

Or in 2005-2006 when he didn't make the playoffs in the powerhouse West while a team with Vlad Rad as their third highest scorer had HCA.

Or in 2008 when he gave up a 24-point half-time lead at home in the NBA Finals. And then lost in a deciding game by 39-points.

Or in 2015 when he put up Allen Iverson shooting percentage numbers leading his team to a bottom-three NBA record.

But yes bring up his lack of a competent cast for his first three years in the league when he couldn't score but shot airballs in the playoffs but every Kobe stan shines a spotlight on when showing his sub-par shooting percentages early in his career.

P.S. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

P.P.S. Please make this more difficult next time. I actually like Kobe more than LeBron and would rather annihilate LBJ stans.

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2014, 01:04 PM
If only this stat existed in 2004 when Kobe lost in the NBA Finals to Chauncey Billups.

Or in 2005-2006 when he didn't make the playoffs in the powerhouse West while a team with Vlad Rad as their third highest scorer had HCA.

Or in 2008 when he gave up a 24-point half-time lead at home in the NBA Finals. And then lost in a deciding game by 39-points.

Or in 2015 when he put up Allen Iverson shooting percentage numbers leading his team to a bottom-three NBA record.

But yes bring up his lack of a competent cast for his first three years in the league when he couldn't score but shot airballs in the playoffs but every Kobe stan shines a spotlight on when showing his sub-par shooting percentages early in his career.

P.S. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

P.P.S. Please make this more difficult next time. I actually like Kobe more than LeBron and would rather annihilate LBJ stans.

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/thumbnails/Bad-day-sign-300x300.jpg

HOoopCityJones
11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Lmao at all these Bron fans scoffing at this when half the shit they use to prop up LBJ (including PER) or anyone else for that matter are made up by some biased analytic "expert".

But when they start doing it for Kobe, aka "Kobe assist" or even OP's admittedly half baked excuse for Kobe's high volume of shot attempts, it's completely fraudulent.

riseagainst
11-19-2014, 01:47 PM
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/thumbnails/Bad-day-sign-300x300.jpg

ballup
11-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Kobe averages only 28 passes per game. Those other guys you mentioned made at least 40 passes per game up to 55 passes per game.

ballup
11-19-2014, 02:23 PM
To put that in perspective, there are 158 players who make more passes per game than Kobe does.

SugarHill
11-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Lmao at all these Bron fans scoffing at this when half the shit they use to prop up LBJ (including PER) or anyone else for that matter are made up by some biased analytic "expert".

But when they start doing it for Kobe, aka "Kobe assist" or even OP's admittedly half baked excuse for Kobe's high volume of shot attempts, it's completely fraudulent.

doing it for "kobe"

You can do it for anyone. It doesn't make him look better than any other player. It's ridiculous and you're ridiculous for trying to defend it. :rolleyes:

Hey Yo
11-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Questions from Baxter Holmes to Lakers Ed Davis recently:

Holmes caught up with Davis on Tuesday afternoon to ask him why he can't seem to get on the same page with Bryant.

"We're still trying to figure it out," Davis said. "This is a new team. A lot of us haven't played with each other before."

That may be true. But Davis' other new teammates like Jordan Clarkson and Ronnie Price have had no trouble finding him. Perhaps defenses are playing Davis differently when Bryant is on the floor?

"Most definitely," Davis said. "When he's out there, the defense is more alert and everybody is trying to focus in and key in on him and stuff like that. Then when he's not out there, they play more loose. It's just a different feel, a different game."

For Davis, it's not just a matter of getting open. The looks have been there.

"A lot of the time, my man is the one that's helping, going to double Kobe," Davis said.

Davis may be referring to moments like this one that happened in Sunday's game. Bryant ran a pick-and-roll with Davis and Green went to go trap Bryant.

http://a.espncdn.com/graphics/2014/1119/insider_lakersscreenshot_md_576x324.jpg

What happened next? Bryant coughed up the ball and Andre Iguodala easily dunked the other way. This has been a big problem for the Lakers in the early going, Bryant trying to go 1-on-5 rather than making the smart pass. He was better about this in Tuesday's win over Atlanta, feeding Young late in the game on a brilliant pass for a crucial 3-point foul call in the left corner.

But if the Lakers were smart, they'd try to pump up Davis' trade value and possibly get a future pick in return rather than watch him walk this summer. Turns out, having Davis play with Bryant may not have been the best idea.

Hey Yo
11-19-2014, 03:31 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/graphics/2014/1119/insider_kobeshotchart_md_576x324.jpg

CJ Mustard
11-19-2014, 04:20 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Haymaker
11-19-2014, 04:38 PM

This :oldlol:

jstern
11-19-2014, 11:45 PM
So what exactly does this stat tell you?

SpecialQue
11-20-2014, 12:02 AM

Reminds me of when Pauk tried to make "missed triple doubles" a thing.