PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite NBA move to imitate when you play?

ralph_i_el
11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Self explanatory. Whose game do you copy?

I gotta say, I love going triple-threat like Kobe. I like it when he drives to the hoop off the triple threat and changes up the lengths of his strides to confuse the defensive help. I'm a bad 3 point shooter, so focusing on the triple threat within 18ft prevents me from jacking up shots outside my reliable range.

I also go for baseline reverses a lot and I like to imagine AI when I go for it. How he'd jump and compact his body to take contact, and then put the ball off the glass with so much spin:bowdown:

Everybody hates an over-dribbler on their squad, so when I take someone off the dribble I try to limit it to working off the Tim Hardaway two-step. Between the legs to the left hand, hesitate, and then drive left or cross right into a drive.

My favorite pet move is the Steve Nash left handed bounce pass. I'm a righty and that confuses the heck out of defenders on the fastbreak.

I wish I could be out there right now putting in work but my car got rammed and my back is still sore:(

So yeah, who do YOU imitate? I'll look for .gifs of mine when I get off work

SpanishACB
11-19-2014, 12:20 PM
the kobrick

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
My go-to face-up dribble move in the half-court is an in-and-out to cross. That's my killer in terms of freezing a defender, particularly if I get a little bit of a wind-up so I can approach the defense going slightly downhill.

I originally derived the move from Tim Hardaway's play against Hakeem Olajuwon (from the NBA Jam Session VHS), but I tend to do it with a little more urgency, as opposed to his butter smooth approach (and I don't do the spin and floater thereafter): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQmIy1rZB0

This probably more closely represents the move I've lived on for years:

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/MJInAndOut-546cbbd3f03b5.gif

riseagainst
11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
turnaround fadeaway 3's from half court.

HALLandOATES
11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Parker/nash no jump/wrong foot layup

Dirk wrong foot fader

Parker teardrop

ralph_i_el
11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
turnaround fadeaway 3's from half court.

Its a bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

For real through, I played pick up with my dad once and this dude could do nothing but 30 ft pull up 3's. Never tried to drive or create. If he had daylight behind the line, he was launching them...and making a decent amount.

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Its a bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

For real through, I played pick up with my dad once and this dude could do nothing but 30 ft pull up 3's. Never tried to drive or create. If he had daylight behind the line, he was launching them...and making a decent amount.There's a lot of gunners out there like that. There's been a 6'6'' or 6'7'' 270lbs. guy in his mid-40's playing around our way for the past few years. He was a big man in DII then played some pro ball in South America. All he does now is rain from 25ft.+, whether he has daylight or not.

ralph_i_el
11-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Parker/nash no jump/wrong foot layup

Dirk wrong foot fader

Parker teardrop
I think the wrong foot layup is a white boy thing. I end up doing it all the time because I'm not a good leaper anyways so the jump doesn't matter much. I have long arms and big hands so i'll go off the wrong foot and just do a little scoop+finger roll without gathering the ball with both hands.

Le Shaqtus
11-19-2014, 12:37 PM
The patented LeBron forearm push off offensive foul to the basket.

Aptly named "The Barrel"

Or the Kobe 30 pump fakes draw foul maneuver.

People loving playing with me.

Genaro
11-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Kobe's fadeaway. As I'm not very good at it I don't use too much of it, I usually go more often to the bank shot from mid rang like Wade or Pippen.

Mr. Jabbar
11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
dribble-dribble pump fake-fade away 3; SWISH

ralph_i_el
11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
The patented LeBron forearm push off offensive foul to the basket.

Aptly named "The Barrel"

Or the Kobe 30 pump fakes draw foul maneuver.

People loving playing with me.
Hahaha and after the game you sneak up behind them like bosh?

fpliii
11-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Parker teardrop
This. :applause:

iznogood
11-19-2014, 12:41 PM
My go-to face-up dribble move in the half-court is an in-and-out to cross. That's my killer in terms of freezing a defender, particularly if I get a little bit of a wind-up so I can approach the defense going slightly downhill.

:cheers:
I do this same move very often as well and I find it to be pretty effective as long as I'm not trying to pull it off too quick. I actually find out most of my dribble moves work better when I do it I bit slower then I could and give the defender some time to react to the first fake.

Proctor
11-19-2014, 12:43 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2665195/pg3.gif

Le Shaqtus
11-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Hahaha and after the game you sneak up behind them like bosh?

It's my go to.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1577137/Bosh-Lebron.gif

ralph_i_el
11-19-2014, 12:47 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2665195/pg3.gif
I actually like playing with dudes who have a quick trigger behind the line. I'm perfectly happy passing and setting a quick screen as long as the guy is going to make a decisive move with the ball. I'm not working to get someone open if they're just going to ISO for 10 seconds and let the D reset. Shoot, pass, or drive....but do it within 3 seconds please

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Back in the late 90's, I developed the perception of how I thought Grant Hill and Latrell Sprewell attacked in the open floor and have also mimicked that in my game ever since as well.

I used to be weak on the left side of the floor in fast break situations, knowing I jumped much worse off my right (weak) foot, leading to significantly weaker left hand attempts. So after seeing enough Spree and Hill, I noticed they often seemed to charge up, sprint like hell, and square the retreating defense head on, not afraid to keep the ball in their strong hand (and jump off their strong foot).

So, I guess that's one of my basic go-to tenets as well. In the open floor, I'll square and attack defenders as a means of cutting down their space, then I'll move to where I see fit, using my strong hand and jumping leg whenever I can.

Kind of a lame, dated example of how I'd go straight at the defender, then not - pre Euro-Rake:

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/DefenderSquare-546cc18a51533.gif

MP.Trey
11-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm a good ball handler and passer but I am unnecessarily fancy with the ball. My favorite moves are probably the Shamgod and when I'm on the break I love to use the fake behind the back pass/dribble ala Baron Davis. Ya'll should know what I'm talking about, if not I'll find a vid/gif later but I broke so many fools with that move and it's guaranteed to get ooh's and ahh's from anyone watching. Which is music to my ears.

KobesFinger
11-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Hesitations and step back jumper. I was gonna name myself step back on here but somebody else has that name.

I wanna get the Shammgod down, shits nasty

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm a good ball handler and passer but I am unnecessarily fancy with the ball. My favorite moves are probably the Shamgod and when I'm on the break I love to use the fake behind the back pass/dribble ala Baron Davis. Ya'll should know what I'm talking about, if not I'll find a vid/gif later but I broke so many fools with that move and it's guaranteed to get ooh's and ahh's from anyone watching. Which is music to my ears.Both of those have been works in progress for me for the past couple of years. I'll get motivated to go hard and develop them, then often wonder if the payoff was worth it (they seem awfully situational for me, with other established options seemingly already doing the trick).

My Shammgod is okay but nothing to write home about. I still haven't found the right way to consistently pull off a convincing Baron behind-the-back. Too often it just looks like I'm completing a behind-the-back dribble, as opposed to it looking like a fake behind-the-back pass to oneself.

I've surmised that the best idea with the Davis move is to wrap the ball all the way back to the initial hand, yes? So, whereas a behind-the-back dribble would be a right-handed bounce to the left hand, the Baron would be a right-handed wrap bounce back to the front right side of the body, right?

MP.Trey
11-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Both of those have been works in progress for me for the past couple of years. I'll get motivated to go hard and develop them, then often wonder if the payoff was worth it (they seem awfully situational for me, with other established options seemingly already doing the trick).

My Shammgod is okay but nothing to write home about. I still haven't found the right way to consistently pull off a convincing Baron behind-the-back. Too often it just looks like I'm completing a behind-the-back dribble, as opposed to it looking like a fake behind-the-back pass to oneself.

I've surmised that the best idea with the Davis move is to wrap the ball all the way back to the initial hand, yes? So, whereas a behind-the-back dribble would be a right-handed bounce to the left hand, the Baron would be a right-handed wrap bounce back to the front right side of the body, right?
Yes you got it exactly. I used to like to do the Rondo type fake where you stop your dribble but I realized my hands aren't large enough to properly use it and I ended up losing he ball or getting stripped. I have the dribble move down pat though, my long arms help create the illusion a bit but you've got the basics and technically it's probably a carry but I've used it since High School and have never seen it called as such.

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes you got it exactly. I used to like to do the Rondo type fake where you stop your dribble but I realized my hands aren't large enough to properly use it and I ended up losing he ball or getting stripped. I have the dribble move down pat though, my long arms help create the illusion a bit but you've got the basics and technically it's probably a carry but I've used it since High School and have never seen it called as such.Good stuff. At least I'm on the right track.

:cheers:
I do this same move very often as well and I find it to be pretty effective as long as I'm not trying to pull it off too quick. I actually find out most of my dribble moves work better when I do it I bit slower then I could and give the defender some time to react to the first fake.I'm kind of the opposite. That's one of the few moves that automatically makes me get my dribble really low and allows me to super-explode. It's kind of a spasmic reaction. Really quick shimmy shake with the in-and-out to cross. We all probably have our pet moves that are most likely to evoke an impressive response from others. That would be mine.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-19-2014, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jTaT3pYFE

Akrazotile
11-19-2014, 02:07 PM
My go-to move is the Reggie Evans testicle squeeze. I use it on offense and on defense, and also in the locker room after the game.

3peated
11-19-2014, 03:52 PM
nick young celebration on a miss

imdaman99
11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
The Olajuwon, MJ, Kobe, KG dream shake fade aways. It's a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I'm only 5'9, can barely post up on anyone :lol

I'll have to go with a Reggie/Ray Allen coming off a screen and hitting a game winning 3 :rockon:

Ramza
11-19-2014, 04:20 PM
The Durant rip-through move.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-19-2014, 04:28 PM
The Olajuwon, MJ, Kobe, KG dream shake fade aways. It's a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I'm only 5'9, can barely post up on anyone :lol

I'll have to go with a Reggie/Ray Allen coming off a screen and hitting a game winning 3 :rockon:

I tried the same last night and got blocked 6 times by a guy whose also my height :lol

JellyBean
11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
In the low post, Kareem

In the mid and high post, Hakeem

On the wing, Kobe

At the top of the key, Magic

Milbuck
11-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Tried to model my game off Tony Parker (and Rondo), considering my jumper really isn't that great past midrange. I use it less when I'm playing against random people, but when it's just me and friends I tend to use a TP-like spin move a lot, often with a floater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16I0wKgC-q8

Prometheus
11-19-2014, 05:56 PM
All I'm good for on offense is moving without the ball and hitting midrange jumpers. Too short to post up, not good enough dribbling with my off hand to handle the ball much. I'm a short, white, YMCA-tier Rip Hamilton. Clutch as f-k though, I demand to shoot potential game-winners and I make them.

LEFT4DEAD
11-19-2014, 06:28 PM
My go-to move is the Reggie Evans testicle squeeze. I use it on offense and on defense, and also in the locker room after the game.
:coleman:

kurple
11-19-2014, 06:47 PM
jab step

Q.E.C
11-19-2014, 06:51 PM
http://i.giphy.com/5fBH6zc7vO1FWLc95OU.gif

http://i.giphy.com/LdZC1VIPxtCO4.gif

JimmyMcAdocious
11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
The only way I could really score in the paint was with a floater and I modeled my game after Ed Cota so... Cota Floata.

After Cota, as well, I go behind the back in traffic and on the break way more than I should. But it's so comfortable to do and if the guy is hugging me on the way down, I go right to left behind the back, then left to right crossover back to my strong hand, and that almost always gives me enough space to do whatever the hell I want, leaving the defender a little off balanced. Unless I'm playing someone who actually knows how to d up.

And of course what 20-something year old didn't learn the UTEP 2-Step when he was younger? And Euro-step, now.

Also modeled a lot after Nash with age, since my knees pretty ****ed up. Kind of got that one legged runner down. For the life of me I can't make a scoop layup against actual defense. I still have no idea how Nash consistently made that shot against NBA players. Dude is amazing.

Actually just reminded me since I was primarily thinking to score. But Kidd's behind the back dribble handoff I used to do on a lot teams. But it tough in random pickup games because some people don't have the awareness to grab the ball, or just don't know your tendencies.

kshutts1
11-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Never consciously modeled my game after anyone.

Current style of play is current Kobe... I used to be a really good shooter, so that's all I do, even now, missing most of them. My mind knows I'm not good, but my instincts tell me I can still pull up on anyone, blow by anyone, block anyone. Now I just look like a sad old man out there that has not yet realized he lost his two true edges over the competition, in athleticism and shooting.

Particularly at Rake though, mainly because I trust you'll give an honest answer..
just how good are you? I remember your shooting video, and that was lights out. But your athleticism seemed to be VERY subpar (unless I have the poster mixed up, in which case I apologize).

G0ATbe
11-19-2014, 07:02 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2183379/kobereturns.gif
http://33.media.tumblr.com/fb7cda7af67162ff51b05829f44301f8/tumblr_n14euzsAHI1qcmnsoo2_400.gif

chips93
11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
jump stop layups like rose or wade, two footed floater like tony parker, and eurostep like wade.

my game is like poor mans tony parker. quick, fast and good handles, but i only shoot mid range, and my hops are pretty bad.

Smook A.
11-19-2014, 07:12 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1154841/rondolayup.gif

I alway try this Rajon Rondo move, where he ball-fakes then lays it in. 95% of the time, I either turn the ball over or I miss the layup. My teammates always give me the WTF look after I do it :oldlol:

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Particularly at Rake though, mainly because I trust you'll give an honest answer..
just how good are you? I remember your shooting video, and that was lights out. But your athleticism seemed to be VERY subpar (unless I have the poster mixed up, in which case I apologize).Haha, I think I am both flattered and offended....

But seriously, that's a tough question to answer without somehow coming off like a pompous jerk. I am worse than many, but better than a lot. I suppose the same would go for my athleticism. I hovered around a 35'' max vert and was officially measured with a 29.5'' standard vert, so I always thought I was pretty solid on the athleticism front, but I suppose that it's all relative.

I guess I'd have to see which clips of my athletic ability you were looking at in order for me to properly deflect my imperfections and failings though, haha.

kshutts1
11-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Haha, I think I am both flattered and offended....

But seriously, that's a tough question to answer without somehow coming off like a pompous jerk. I am worse than many, but better than a lot. I suppose the same would go for my athleticism. I hovered around a 35'' max vert and was officially measured with a 29.5'' standard vert, so I always thought I was pretty solid on the athleticism front, but I suppose that it's all relative.

I guess I'd have to see which clips of my athletic ability you were looking at in order for me to properly deflect my imperfections and failings though, haha.
ISH 100 shot challenge thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZ8XJkYvMc

You don't do anything to shot off athleticism, just look to have a normal athletic ability, and an obviously well above average skill set.
But being smaller and with an (assumed) average athletic ability, is the skill set enough to make you a solid to good HS or college player? What level do you play?

Edit: and on watching your video a second time, your athleticism was not bad, as I remembered. So I apologize for saying "VERY subpar". More just average for a person, not average for an athlete.

thefatmiral
11-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I try to be mini hakeem.

Asukal
11-19-2014, 07:55 PM
I emulate Magic Johnson. Pinpoint passing, baby hooks, mid range shots. :D

PsychoBe
11-19-2014, 08:00 PM
my favorite move is the no-look bullet pass. i also like to make exaggerated gestures after passing like mark jackson :oldlol:

Rake2204
11-19-2014, 08:41 PM
ISH 100 shot challenge thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZ8XJkYvMc

You don't do anything to shot off athleticism, just look to have a normal athletic ability, and an obviously well above average skill set.
But being smaller and with an (assumed) average athletic ability, is the skill set enough to make you a solid to good HS or college player? What level do you play?Ha, yeah, that Sean Elliott-inspired jumper isn't exactly an ultra-athletic marvel, huh?

There's no way I can say any of this without sounding unbecoming, but I had a solid high school career. Went in just wanting to top my brother's single game career high one time (his high was 13). Instead, I ended up averaging more than that. I was a unanimous choice All-Conference selection (along with two other teammates) and I had some small college looks (nothing crazy like DI).

My size worked against me a little in terms of college looks, as I played out of position for all of my high school career (I was masquerading as a 6'3'' 165lbs. power forward). I still played the position like a guard, but my game was a little more restricted than normal as a result.

Ultimately, in lieu of college ball, I tried out for a point guard opening with a minor league IBL club a number of years ago, but no dice. Hung pretty well, but those little fellers were quick. In hindsight, I would have been better off pushing myself out as a 2 or 3.

Anywho, here's some random gifs for reference, if it helps:

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Layup2-546d25df478b5.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Layup1-546d2558a4bd0.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Block3-546d24ea89fc2.gif

kshutts1
11-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Just good to hear the real story :cheers:

Rake2204
11-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Just good to hear the real story :cheers:Glad I could oblige.

Eric Cartman
11-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Tony Parker's floater.

Slim_Slugga
11-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Tim Duncan face up jab step, bank shot/drive to the hole.