PDA

View Full Version : 76er fans; Corrosion in team?

Dr.J4ever
11-21-2014, 12:01 PM
I have to admit it. I partially agree with Cooney's article.

At the beginning of the year, I though Hinkie needed to provide our key players, MCW, Noel, KJ, some other pieces to work with. MCW needed to have an assist when he drives the lane, and kicks out to a 3 point shooter.

Noel needed to have another bulky veteran big who could help him battle stronger interior players in the lane. If this results in a few more wins, but our players feel happy about their stats and their development, isn't this a good price to pay?

Cooney's article is devastating.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20141121_Culture_of_corrosion.html

"I hear it all the time from the patient Sixers fans who litter the city: "What difference does it make if they lose now. It's part of the plan. If it gets you high draft picks, what does it matter?"

It matters a ton. Maybe even more than that.

While dismissing a couple, or maybe even three, predominantly losing seasons is easy to do from afar, it is gut-wrenching and energy-sapping when you're in its grasp.

The signs have been so obvious already. Noel is simply lost right now, not knowing how his game fits into this league. With every loss his confidence is drained a little more, like a gas tank slowly approaching empty. A good individual performance could boost the needle a little bit, but that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. A win would certainly enhance morale, but that may realistically not come until, well, who knows?"

sfballa13
11-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Shut up no one cares about the 76ers

They are an embarrassment to basketball and the NBA

tanks1
11-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Noel has played 25 college games and 11 pro games. He is a raw rookie who is learning how to play.

Springsteen
11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I've said it before, it doesn't matter if you've assembled a starting 5 of top 3 picks. If you've established a losing mentality to get to that spot, how can you expect that starting 5 to perform to their ability or even want to stay on the team?

russwest0
11-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I've said it before, it doesn't matter if you've assembled a starting 5 of top 3 picks. If you've established a losing mentality to get to that spot, how can you expect that starting 5 to perform to their ability or even want to stay on the team?

okc thunder pulled it off pretty well.

R.I.P.
11-21-2014, 12:52 PM
okc thunder pulled it off pretty well.

First year Durant had Collison, Wally S., A. Griffin and D. Marshall for veteran help. Then they also had C. Atkins, M. Rose, J. Smith in year two. They didn

chocolatethunder
11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I have to admit it. I partially agree with Cooney's article.

At the beginning of the year, I though Hinkie needed to provide our key players, MCW, Noel, KJ, some other pieces to work with. MCW needed to have an assist when he drives the lane, and kicks out to a 3 point shooter.

Noel needed to have another bulky veteran big who could help him battle stronger interior players in the lane. If this results in a few more wins, but our players feel happy about their stats and their development, isn't this a good price to pay?

Cooney's article is devastating.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20141121_Culture_of_corrosion.html

"I hear it all the time from the patient Sixers fans who litter the city: "What difference does it make if they lose now. It's part of the plan. If it gets you high draft picks, what does it matter?"

It matters a ton. Maybe even more than that.

While dismissing a couple, or maybe even three, predominantly losing seasons is easy to do from afar, it is gut-wrenching and energy-sapping when you're in its grasp.

The signs have been so obvious already. Noel is simply lost right now, not knowing how his game fits into this league. With every loss his confidence is drained a little more, like a gas tank slowly approaching empty. A good individual performance could boost the needle a little bit, but that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. A win would certainly enhance morale, but that may realistically not come until, well, who knows?"
I don't agree with it all. It's a bunch of bullshit. He's writing that because there's nothing else to write about because the team is awful. My friend was on their summer league team this past summer and didn't make any mention of anything like that. He said everyone was cool and hung out and worked their asses off and said Brett Brown was great and would work with him and Noel and not just leave that to their bigman coach (who was Greg Foster at the time but he has since left for the Bucks). So no, I don't believe any of that bullshit article. No one likes losing but they are building something and this is the last year that it will be awful like this. I'm happy as shit that they suck because I know that they'll be so much better down the line. They pretty much had no choice to do this with the awful contracts they inherited from the lady regime. I'm on board 100%.

chocolatethunder
11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Because you know nothing of what goes on in practice or what kind of mentality they've instilled. On 610 today Ike Reese said that's a bunch of bullshit and as a player that doesn't matter. The guys are playing hard they just really suck. They know that they are building for the future this isn't a case of a team that's a laughing stock because they are mismanaged. So no, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

swagga
11-21-2014, 02:19 PM
I think the only underrated aspect is that players will get bad habits... not fighting on defense, iso offense, entitlement since some of them will get to put up many shots. They'll put up stats, but it can seriously stunt their growth as players.
Stacked young teams usually get bad habits that are very hard to correct.

Let's take OKC as an example, another team built through draft stacking. They have plenty of bad habits examples:
- russell westbrook monkeyballing, wasn't groomed as a pg properly (imo)...hopefully they'll put him at sg and be done with it
- okc lacking a locker room leader even if they are loaded with talent.
- okc's players not pressuring management to sack a horrible coach or at least change something. Brooks cost them at least a couple of big series, but he'll stay because he lets westbrook/durant get many shots.
- harden's chucking when he got the starting role in HOU ... since that's what he craved before he went to the rockets... the bad side of being a stacked YOUNG team -> not getting enough touches in favor of other dudes he considered lesser/equal talents -> chucking without mercy when he get the shots.

All those things are here to stay. Harden will stay a chucker. Westbrook will stay a loose cannon. Durant will not be an outspoken leader. OKC's staying with brooks. and nobody talks about them as being related things.

UtahJazzFan88
11-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Exactly... the 76ers are an ABOMINATION right now... tanking for a special player MIGHT work, but fact is, they have a culture of losing right now.

Dr.J4ever
11-21-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't agree with it all. It's a bunch of bullshit. He's writing that because there's nothing else to write about because the team is awful. My friend was on their summer league team this past summer and didn't make any mention of anything like that. He said everyone was cool and hung out and worked their asses off and said Brett Brown was great and would work with him and Noel and not just leave that to their bigman coach (who was Greg Foster at the time but he has since left for the Bucks). So no, I don't believe any of that bullshit article. No one likes losing but they are building something and this is the last year that it will be awful like this. I'm happy as shit that they suck because I know that they'll be so much better down the line. They pretty much had no choice to do this with the awful contracts they inherited from the lady regime. I'm on board 100%.

Man, I hope you're right. I really do.

My faith is sagging and I feel weak with all this losing. I'm really more worried for the players developing bad habits. As I said, if MCW thinks he has no one to pass the ball out to and make the "right" basketball play, maybe he develops in a way that will not serve him later on when we really need him.

chocolatethunder
11-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Man, I hope you're right. I really do.

My faith is sagging and I feel weak with all this losing. I'm really more worried for the players developing bad habits. As I said, if MCW thinks he has no one to pass the ball out to and make the "right" basketball play, maybe he develops in a way that will not serve him later on when we really need him.
How would they feel bad about it? They know what the plan is and they know that there are only a few NBA players on the roster. I know I'm right about what my friend said about how practices were and how Brett Brown is. You have the head coach working one on one with players. That's uncommon and really good. They know what the situation is on that team. There's no dysfunction, there's a plan. This is the last year of this. Who cares if they're losing? They weren't gonna win anyway. I think MCW will look different when he has some other talent on the team. He's never gonna be a perennial all star but he'll be solid. I'm not worried at all. All this "culture of losing" stuff is just bullshit. It's people wanting to make a story where there is none because the team sucks. In two years no one will care about this. Next year they will be better and the year after that they will be considerably better.

gasolina
11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
No need to look further than the Cavs. All that losing must've created this "don't care if we lose" atmosphere which gave Kyrie & Co some pretty terrible habits.

You can see in their games the lack of discipline in various parts of the game which already cost them a few wins.

FireDavidKahn
11-21-2014, 07:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7dySNvn.gif