PDA

View Full Version : If you're the Cavs, do you trade Irving for Rondo?

Cone
11-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Not mentioning salaries or other players as throw in's, just as if it was a straight up trade. Would you?

Celtics do it because it would seem like Rondo would be shipped eventually, or may walk in free agency and Irving would be getting back some great value. Young All-Star PG.

Cavs do it because it vastly improves their D, and a pass first PG who wouldn't take shots away from LeBron and Love.

I think its a solid trade for both teams. Thoughts? :cheers:

BigBoss
11-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Congratulations you just won dumbest thread of the day. Thank you for your contribution to inside hoops and good luck with life.

kamil
11-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Yeah.... Rondo would just love to play with LeBron*.... laff.

KyrieTheFuture
11-23-2014, 08:39 PM
It would need to involve another player, Rondo is much older. Either way though, Irving and LeBron have been fine together offensively. The BIG problem for this team, and I've called it since day one, is rim protection. Adding another solid perimeter defender will do nothing to prevent the black hole that is our interior defense.

Also Rondo would murder LBJ after one practice.

FatComputerNerd
11-23-2014, 08:40 PM
No.

Rondo can't shoot. That's not a good fit for a PG playing next to a point-forward like Lebron.

Irving is also much younger, and much more potent offensively. His D has also looked greatly improved even through this losing streak we're on.

Cone
11-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Congratulations you just won dumbest thread of the day. Thank you for your contribution to inside hoops and good luck with life.

???

KobesFinger
11-23-2014, 08:42 PM
What good is Rondo as a spot up shooter?

Nuff Said
11-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Not a cavs fan but Irving needs to take shots away from lebron and love. I'm not watching closely but he seems to be the most consistent scorer and he can get his own shot better than anyone else on the team. It's Lebron who needs to realize he's regressing and play more off ball.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Rondo has a jumpshot like a center. Hes gonna be way worse as a spotup shooter who cant hold the ball to make plays
they get a bit better on defense but they lose alot of the shotmaking and offense Kyrie brought

outbreak
11-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Rondo next to Lebron is a horrible pairing

Blue&Orange
11-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Not mentioning salaries or other players as throw in's, just as if it was a straight up trade. Would you?

Celtics do it because it would seem like Rondo would be shipped eventually, or may walk in free agency and Irving would be getting back some great value. Young All-Star PG.

Cavs do it because it vastly improves their D, and a pass first PG who wouldn't take shots away from LeBron and Love.

I think its a solid trade for both teams. Thoughts? :cheers:
:roll: :roll:

The only shots Lebron wants to take is fastbreak layups

Derka
11-23-2014, 08:58 PM
If Rondo was something closer to Mario Chalmers and could hit open 3s at a somewhat reasonable clip, maybe?

As it is, Lebron keeps the ball in his hands. Without the ball in his hands, Rondo is useless. That alone makes this a very bad idea.

finchyyy
11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Cavs should try and get Avery Bradley

FatComputerNerd
11-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Irving isn't going anywhere.

G0ATbe
11-23-2014, 09:17 PM
No way. I'd trade LeBald though.

Mr.Kite
11-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Who's going to shoot in the 4th?

poido123
11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Irving isn't the problem. He isn't going anywhere :oldlol:

Cavs just signed him to a multimillion/year dollar deal, they don't do that unless they think he is staying a while.

Their problem is Waiters stupidity and selfishness, loves low impact play and lebrons inconsistency and lack of leadership/toughness. Then you add the all round poor defense and you start to see that this team is seriously flawed.

Cavalier
11-23-2014, 09:24 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8046/8142828980_af412ecca0.jpg

Eric Cartman
11-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Rondo next to Klay Thompson and Korver would be sick.

FatComputerNerd
11-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm still not convinced that there is a problem.

It's very early in the season, with a new coach and revamped roster.

Wrinkles tend to have a way of ironing themselves out, and I'm far from worried yet.

RoseCity07
11-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I was imaging this team if they traded Love for Bosh, and the Irving for Rondo and a draft pick.

That's be two serious defenders. A point guard that will keep Bosh involved. And a pretty good pick from Boston as they'll still be pretty bad.

Cleveland would be in the Finals with that team.

Miami probably says no to trading Bosh for Love.

They have to get rid of Irving or Love. You can't have two bad defenders like that an be in the Finals.

poido123
11-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm still not convinced that there is a problem.

It's very early in the season, with a new coach and revamped roster.

Wrinkles tend to have a way of ironing themselves out, and I'm far from worried yet.

What parts of the Cavs play do you see Improving?

Love is a role player on this team, cannot defend.

Waiters is a selfish, game flow killer. Shoots long 2s early in the shot clock.

Irving cannot stay in front of quick guards or even attempt to keep with them.

Lebron sulks and gives up and shows bad leadership qualities when the team needs him most.

The bench has little to no impact and a bunch of geriatrics.

The coach let's opposing teams go on large scoring runs and fails to call timeouts. The offense looks worse than where it should be.

At this point, I have more faith in the Raptors or wizards making noise.

Bandito
11-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I was imaging this team if they traded Love for Bosh, and the Irving for Rondo and a draft pick.

That's be two serious defenders. A point guard that will keep Bosh involved. And a pretty good pick from Boston as they'll still be pretty bad.

Cleveland would be in the Finals with that team.

Miami probably says no to trading Bosh for Love.

They have to get rid of Irving or Love. You can't have two bad defenders like that an be in the Finals.
What about your offense though? Lebron cannot play offball good and ROndo needs the ball to be effective...

FatComputerNerd
11-23-2014, 10:49 PM

Lebron sulks and gives up and shows bad leadership qualities when the team needs him most.

The coach let's opposing teams go on large scoring runs and fails to call timeouts. The offense looks worse than where it should be.

I'll try to address the rest of your post later, but obv. the raptors and wiz are both very good teams. The east is much stronger than it used to be.

livingby3's
11-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Irving isn't the problem. He isn't going anywhere :oldlol:

Cavs just signed him to a multimillion/year dollar deal, they don't do that unless they think he is staying a while.

Their problem is Waiters stupidity and selfishness, loves low impact play and lebrons inconsistency and lack of leadership/toughness. Then you add the all round poor defense and you start to see that this team is seriously flawed.

This. They are better off just swapping Waiters for a 3 and D guy who knows his role.

Magic 32
11-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Let's just trade every player for Lebron benefit.

And the coach.

DMAVS41
11-23-2014, 11:53 PM
No, Rondo doesn't fit well imo.

I'd do some version of Waiters, Thompson, first rounder, and filler for Bradley and Olynk though.

This Cavs team needs two things badly:

1. Rim protection
2. Guard defense

While Olynk and Bradley don't impact rim protection obviously, Bradley helps on the guard/wing defense hugely. He's also a very good spot up 3 point shooter as well.

I've grown to like Thompson as a player after watching him this year, but I don't think the Cavs need him...and don't think he'll be worth what they will have to pay him. Nothing I've seen out of Waiters makes me think any differently than I have for a while...just not a good fit on a team like this where he'll be the 4th option at best.

nerds
11-24-2014, 01:27 AM
As a Celtics fan, no!

From a Cavs prospective, get it done

Cavs need a floor general and they don't need to trade for another scoring point guard so that's why Rondo fits

Whether it happens or not that's another story (I'm sure DA would role the dice), but Rondo would get the whole team involved and Love would especially benefit as he flourished playing with a pass first point guard in Rubio!

nerds
11-24-2014, 01:32 AM
No, Rondo doesn't fit well imo.

I'd do some version of Waiters, Thompson, first rounder, and filler for Bradley and Olynk though.

This Cavs team needs two things badly:

1. Rim protection
2. Guard defense

While Olynk and Bradley don't impact rim protection obviously, Bradley helps on the guard/wing defense hugely. He's also a very good spot up 3 point shooter as well.

I've grown to like Thompson as a player after watching him this year, but I don't think the Cavs need him...and don't think he'll be worth what they will have to pay him. Nothing I've seen out of Waiters makes me think any differently than I have for a while...just not a good fit on a team like this where he'll be the 4th option at best.

Every game TT comes off the bench it's affecting his next contract

If his agent is doing his job properly he would be exploring all avenues to get him out of Cleveland and onto a team that will give him a starting spot and 35 minutes per game...

Apart from feed passes from Lebron, TT hardly sees the ball from his shot happy guards...

KyrieTheFuture
11-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Every game TT comes off the bench it's affecting his next contract

If his agent is doing his job properly he would be exploring all avenues to get him out of Cleveland and onto a team that will give him a starting spot and 35 minutes per game...

Apart from feed passes from Lebron, TT hardly sees the ball from his shot happy guards...
No his agent doing his job properly is using the fact that he also represents LBJ to get TT a huge payday in Cleveland.

NZStreetBaller
11-24-2014, 02:04 AM

1st world problems in cleveland geeez.
2 all star mvps
4 time mvp 2 time nba champion
3 point shooting contest winner
3 all stars
the best 3 point shooting power forward in the game.
Young fresh legs
no injuries
arguebly the best ball handler in the game
and arguebly the best player in the game

Yes cavs have it so bad.
yes we should be talking about potential trades:rolleyes:

Rolando
11-24-2014, 02:24 AM
2 all star mvps
3 all stars
Young fresh legs
no injuries

Yes cavs have it so bad.

:applause: Well said.

The Cavs problem is more about expectations than anything else. Lebron is also suffering from burnout. He should actually take a year off and play football or something.

nerds
11-24-2014, 02:37 AM
No his agent doing his job properly is using the fact that he also represents LBJ to get TT a huge payday in Cleveland.

Valid points for sure and I agree however there is only so much money to hand over ie Irving just got the max, Lebron and Love will want the max, AV just got an extension for $10m which doesn't leave much left

TT would flourish on teams like the Suns who need a starting PF who can do all the dirty work and someone who can protect their point guards as their current front court doesn't strike fear, Knicks, well enough said there, Utah (I think a Kanter for TT has merits for both teams), and maybe a Denver deal involving McGee (I'm sure the nuggets was out of his contract and the Cavs are desperate size) and JJ Hickson who would probably flourish if he returned

kamil
11-24-2014, 03:09 AM
2 all star mvps
3 all stars
Young fresh legs
no injuries

Yes cavs have it so bad.

Cavs fans are showing feelings of entitlement like Lakers fans.

livingby3's
11-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Valid points for sure and I agree however there is only so much money to hand over ie Irving just got the max, Lebron and Love will want the max, AV just got an extension for $10m which doesn't leave much left

TT would flourish on teams like the Suns who need a starting PF who can do all the dirty work and someone who can protect their point guards as their current front court doesn't strike fear, Knicks, well enough said there, Utah (I think a Kanter for TT has merits for both teams), and maybe a Denver deal involving McGee (I'm sure the nuggets was out of his contract and the Cavs are desperate size) and JJ Hickson who would probably flourish if he returned

Lets do a Gerald Green for Tristan Thompson straight up. The cavs can get rid of Waiters from there.

NZStreetBaller
11-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Cavs fans are showing feelings of entitlement like Lakers fans.

Lol atleast laker fans have plenty of legit reasons why they suck.

kamil
11-24-2014, 03:41 AM
Lol atleast laker fans have plenty of legit reasons why they suck.

True.

This is going to be a great year for basketball.

MixedUp
11-24-2014, 03:43 AM
I would do this trade, helps ball movement plus removes one big ego from the team.

I.R.Beast
11-24-2014, 03:54 AM
Cavs should try and get Avery Bradley
I was thinking about this trade today actually bradley for waiters... great trade for both teams. we get a starting 2 that can create his own shot at will, make some plays with all star upside..and cavs get a lock down defender that can hit spot up 3s light out and knows how to move without the ball....perfect fit for lebron and kyrie

I.R.Beast
11-24-2014, 03:58 AM
As a Celtics fan, no!

From a Cavs prospective, get it done

Cavs need a floor general and they don't need to trade for another scoring point guard so that's why Rondo fits

Whether it happens or not that's another story (I'm sure DA would role the dice), but Rondo would get the whole team involved and Love would especially benefit as he flourished playing with a pass first point guard in Rubio!
As a celtic fans Yes..the hell are you talking about...?... If they actually offered this trade to us Management would have rondo shipped out in 2 seconds..

nerds
11-24-2014, 08:32 AM
As a celtic fans Yes..the hell are you talking about...?... If they actually offered this trade to us Management would have rondo shipped out in 2 seconds..

Yeah I know but I'm sentimental, and I still think Paul Pierce is walking through that door!

Agreed this would probably be too hard to resist and Irving fits the Celtics youth movement

n00bie
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM
rondo is not going to fit well with a lebron James team. He needs a player like curry. Can you imagine all the open 3s? :rockon:

hawksdreamfan44
11-24-2014, 10:27 AM
People are way too quick to try to find problems with the Cavs roster right now. They just need time to gel. Kyrie is better than Rajon already, and he is younger. Plus, his shooting ability makes him a better fit for LeBron.