PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson's post moves are the best in NBA history

Eric Cartman
11-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Aside from Olajuwon and McHale of course.

Gotta love that old man game.

iTare
11-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Inb4 wilt stans

Fudge
11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
:facepalm

Duncan? Kareem?

JohnnySic
11-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Big Al is a magician in the post.

Optimus Prime
11-24-2014, 02:34 PM
In the current NBA? Yes.

In NBA history?

oarabbus
11-24-2014, 02:35 PM
In the current NBA? Yes.

In NBA history?

His post moves are really damn good. If you think he would get shown up on the block at any point in NBA history you are mistaken. Top 8 post moves all time easily

T_L_P
11-24-2014, 02:44 PM
McHale
Hakeem
Duncan
Kareem

All better.

Optimus Prime
11-24-2014, 02:46 PM
McHale
Hakeem
Duncan
Kareem

All better.

And that's just the beginning of the list. To say Big Al is "Top 5 all-time" in the post is ridiculous. Kids got no perspective.

:kobe:

SHAQisGOAT
11-24-2014, 02:49 PM
:biggums:

Really like to watch him do his thing on the block, he has some really good skills in the post, no doubt about it but... seriously???
:coleman: :facepalm

Mass Debator
11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't find this ridiculous at all. Maybe he isn't the most effective because he didn't score big time like the big men in history did, but who's the last big men who averaged or can 23 ppg scoring probably like 3/4 of his shots in the post? Probably only Duncan. Al's post moves are way up there.

If you watch him, he'll remind you a lot of Duncan; you know I'd say even better. It's just that he's isn't that good of a passer which lessens his effectiveness, but one-on-one, he'd kill anyone on the block.

Mass Debator
11-24-2014, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTB6zWUa63g

T_L_P
11-24-2014, 03:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB7XD8km7L0

When I watch Big Al I don't see that kind of cerebral play. :confusedshrug:

He has great post moves though. Definitely deserves a mention. But he isn't in that McHale/Kareem/Hakeem/Duncan tier. Not to mention, defenders are clueless when it comes to the post these days.

ImKobe
11-24-2014, 03:27 PM

He has great post moves though. Definitely deserves a mention. But he isn't in that McHale/Kareem/Hakeem/Duncan tier. Not to mention, defenders are clueless when it comes to the post these days.

Damn, you are exactly like us Kobe stans :oldlol:

SHAQisGOAT
11-24-2014, 03:31 PM

:applause: Still remember when Timmy entered the league... and after like 17 years, he's still balling :applause:

T_L_P
11-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Damn, you are exactly like us Kobe stans :oldlol:

Nah, I base my arguments on cold, hard evidence...not hyperbole or 'alphaness'

La Frescobaldi
11-24-2014, 06:28 PM
And that's just the beginning of the list. To say Big Al is "Top 5 all-time" in the post is ridiculous. Kids got no perspective.

:kobe:

True enough.

Still, the fact that guys are throwing around lists of elite guys to compare him with is a real sweet compliment..... and yeah he may not be better than those guys, or a McAdoo or whoever it is.... we're still looking at Jefferson going "wow he really is something else!!"

navy
11-24-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't find this ridiculous at all. Maybe he isn't the most effective because he didn't score big time like the big men in history did, but who's the last big men who averaged or can 23 ppg scoring probably like 3/4 of his shots in the post? Probably only Duncan. Al's post moves are way up there.

If you watch him, he'll remind you a lot of Duncan; you know I'd say even better. It's just that he's isn't that good of a passer which lessens his effectiveness, but one-on-one, he'd kill anyone on the block.
All time though? Bruh.

Mass Debator
11-24-2014, 07:52 PM
All time though? Bruh.
I don't know man...my opinion though...sometimes it's like...you see something so good, it's really hard to imagine something much better at all. It's like Kyrie's ball handling. Of course there's gonna be players who have height, strength, and athleticism gifts/advantages but for Big Al, he's just damn good with his moves. Like what are you seeing that is not making him an all-time great at post moves? People saw this early and drafted him out of high school. He's got the footwork, the fakes, and the soft touch. I'm not gonna say he's the best but he's "up there" and I don't know why that's so hard for people to accept an opinion based on continual examples of greatness being displayed. Al Jeff can't even blow by people or even dunk and he's scoring at will through doubles and defensive fronting with a very limited passing game and rarely ever getting offensive put backs...not even that tall too. That's pretty awesome of a post game. Too bad he isn't good on defense to put his name more on the map but this is about post moves.

Would've been cool to see him paired up with KG though.

tontoz
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I'll tell you a guy who's post moves were very underrated. Shaq. People dont give him credit because of his size but he had very good footwork, mobility and touch from 5-10 feet. Used the glass very well.

Barkley deserved top 5 mention, if not top 3. He was unguardable in his prime. Al isn't even in the same zip code as Barkley.

Eric Cartman
11-24-2014, 08:37 PM
After seeing the post here and doing a bit of research while thinking about this shit, I've come to the conclusion that Duncan DOES NOT have better post moves than BigGayAl, never has and never will.

Duncan owns him in so many other aspects, like basketball iq, passing, sick mid range game, clutch, defense etc.

But on strictly post moves, I can't put him ahead of BigGayAl.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-24-2014, 08:41 PM
:lol :lol

Hakeem
Mchale
Dirk
Bird
KAJ
Timmy
Dantley
Shaq
KG (had a great variety of post moves, handles and passes, but usually faced up since he is one of the GOAT midrange shooters for bigs)
Lanier
Sabonis

fpliii
11-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Depends what you mean by best.

Most effective? Most versatile? Most aesthetic? Etc.

Though by any measure, he has to be up there you'd figure.

SHAQisGOAT
11-24-2014, 09:13 PM
:lol :lol

Hakeem
Mchale
Dirk
Bird
KAJ
Timmy
Dantley
Shaq
KG (had a great variety of post moves, handles and passes, but usually faced up since he is one of the GOAT midrange shooters for bigs)
Lanier
Sabonis

Great list :applause: And I'm sure there's some more. Not to downplay Big Al because he has some really good post skills, but c'mon now...

BTW loved the Dantley mention.

La Frescobaldi
11-24-2014, 09:33 PM
I'll tell you a guy who's post moves were very underrated. Shaq. People dont give him credit because of his size but he had very good footwork, mobility and touch from 5-10 feet. Used the glass very well.

Barkley deserved top 5 mention, if not top 3. He was unguardable in his prime. Al isn't even in the same zip code as Barkley.

Man in the late '90s early '00s I would watch Shaq's footwork on the block and I would just think "man, he looks like Ali right now."

So quick, so subtle, absolutely practiced and drilled-to-a-polished-perfection of correctness, yet always the animal grace and all building towards that end result of explosive, devastating power.

Burgz V2
11-24-2014, 09:34 PM
cavaliersFTW essay in 3, 2, 1 ...

plowking
11-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Why are people so caught up in aesthetics over effectiveness? This guy can have 100 moves, and another 100 counters, but if he isn't scoring efficiently, then who cares?

Big Al has never been efficient, and he isn't that great of a finisher around the rim, with or without contact, which adds to it.

Burgz V2
11-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Why are people so caught up in aesthetics over effectiveness? This guy can have 100 moves, and another 100 counters, but if he isn't scoring efficiently, then who cares?

Big Al has never been efficient, and he isn't that great of a finisher around the rim, with or without contact, which adds to it.

Dude what are you smoking

iamgine
11-24-2014, 11:33 PM

It's not aesthetics though. Big Al's moves are very effective. Maybe it's his other game that's not as effective.

RRR3
11-25-2014, 02:54 AM

To be fair to OP, he said "best post MOVES", not "best post scorer" so aesthetics would be a big part of determining this.

MMM
11-25-2014, 03:04 AM

love the Suns home court at the time much better than how dull it looks now.

Quizno
11-25-2014, 05:03 AM
big al definitely has better post moves than timmy. timmy's a better player of course, offensively and defensively, but big al definitely has more variety and effective shots. we can argue efficiency vs aesthetics or quantity of unique scoring moves, but i think big al is actually really efficient in iso situations, maybe even moreso than shaq but i don't remember the numbers. once big al gets you one on one on the left block, it's pretty much over. teams double big al a lot. he just doesn't get any points on alleyoops or pnrs like a lot of other bigs do. that's just how the hornets offense is and maybe because big al gets tired fast.

watch big al play for a whole game and look how often the hornets go to him in iso situations, it's more than probably any other player in the league. every opposing defense knows what's coming and they still can't stop him. he's getting his 20 points at around 50% every night based strictly on isos, no easy buckets

deja vu
11-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Misleading title.

hawksdogsbraves
11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
big al definitely has better post moves than timmy. timmy's a better player of course, offensively and defensively, but big al definitely has more variety and effective shots. we can argue efficiency vs aesthetics or quantity of unique scoring moves, but i think big al is actually really efficient in iso situations, maybe even moreso than shaq but i don't remember the numbers. once big al gets you one on one on the left block, it's pretty much over. teams double big al a lot. he just doesn't get any points on alleyoops or pnrs like a lot of other bigs do. that's just how the hornets offense is and maybe because big al gets tired fast.

watch big al play for a whole game and look how often the hornets go to him in iso situations, it's more than probably any other player in the league. every opposing defense knows what's coming and they still can't stop him. he's getting his 20 points at around 50% every night based strictly on isos, no easy buckets

And yet it's not leading to wins, nor has it at any point in his career really.

The problem is that dumping the ball in to somebody on the low post only works well if the big in question is a willing and good passer. Somebody who demands a double team, but can then find the open cutter or shooter when doubled. Al Jefferson has never been able to do that, which is why even though he can give you 20ppg on 50% shooting, he's not all that valuable.

Guys like Duncan or Shaq were great passers. If you have a big like that who has a good post game but can also pass, you can run the whole offense through him. Pau Gasol is another example of that. If your big can't pass, then you're not really running an offense, you're just dumping it in and hoping he scores. That's the reason that the Bobcats offense blows chunks even with an efficient 20ppg big man leading the way for them.

Al's defense also drags him down, but that's not the point here.

Eric Cartman
11-25-2014, 01:50 PM
And yet it's not leading to wins, nor has it at any point in his career really.

The problem is that dumping the ball in to somebody on the low post only works well if the big in question is a willing and good passer. Somebody who demands a double team, but can then find the open cutter or shooter when doubled. Al Jefferson has never been able to do that, which is why even though he can give you 20ppg on 50% shooting, he's not all that valuable.

Guys like Duncan or Shaq were great passers. If you have a big like that who has a good post game but can also pass, you can run the whole offense through him. Pau Gasol is another example of that. If your big can't pass, then you're not really running an offense, you're just dumping it in and hoping he scores. That's the reason that the Bobcats offense blows chunks even with an efficient 20ppg big man leading the way for them.

Al's defense also drags him down, but that's not the point here.

Couldn't have said it better myself :applause:

Dude is a black hole on offense and one of the worst defenders atm.

Ramza
11-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Dwight honorable mention? :confusedshrug:

Eric Cartman
12-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Dwight honorable mention? :confusedshrug:

:roll:

MiseryCityTexas
12-07-2014, 02:38 AM
Even better than Shaq and Hakeem the Dream? SMH

Eric Cartman
12-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Even better than Shaq and Hakeem the Dream? SMH

Both are way better, I admit my wrong.

MiseryCityTexas
12-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Both are way better, I admit my wrong.

In today's game though, hell yeah he is one of the best.

Eric Cartman
12-07-2014, 02:53 AM
In today's game though, hell yeah he is one of the best.

His shot fake is pure filth.

MiseryCityTexas
12-07-2014, 02:54 AM
I remember when Al dropped 40 on prime Yao Ming.