PDA

View Full Version : Has Harden Improved Defensively?

AirTupac
11-25-2014, 02:11 AM
No.

No he hasn't.

http://giant.gfycat.com/BarrenFormalGalah.gif

SouBeachTalents
11-25-2014, 02:12 AM
:facepalm That's just outrageous

coin24
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
:oldlol:

Milbuck
11-25-2014, 02:14 AM
B-b-b-but he's one of the league leaders in defense WS and DRTG!

dontgetchoked
11-25-2014, 02:16 AM
lol that was bad. I wouldn't say he hasnt improved at all, there has been some improvement, but he hasnt improved as much as houston fans would try to have us believe. i would say he's still a below average to average defender at this point. Which is an improvement from Godawful like he was last season.

AirTupac
11-25-2014, 02:17 AM
lol that was bad. I wouldn't say he hasnt improved at all, there has been some improvement, but he hasnt improved as much as houston fans would try to have us believe. i would say he's still a below average to average defender at this point. Which is an improvement from Godawful like he was last season.

You're 100% right. He has gotten better but he's not the defender that these Rocket fans are trying to make it seem like.

JohnFreeman
11-25-2014, 02:17 AM
That was kinda disgusting

SugarHill
11-25-2014, 02:19 AM
And they say his game isn't entertaining

fsvr54
11-25-2014, 02:27 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Legit laughed out loud

rezznor
11-25-2014, 02:31 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/23/7271125/james-harden-defense-improvement-houston-rockets

The Rockets have one of the league's best defenses, and James Harden leads the league in defensive win shares (not a typo).

Making fun of James Harden's defense is easy. He's been comically bad on many occasions. It's so easy to make fun of Harden's defense that even Harden himself does it.

But something funny is happening this season: Harden is leading the league in defensive win shares. At 1.04, he's ahead of Tim Duncan (1.03) and Kawhi Leonard, Marc Gasol and Trevor Ariza (all at 0.93).

Harden isn't having as prolific of a scoring season as he had in recent years. His scoring average is down from 25.9 in 2012-13 and 25.4 in 2013-14 to 24.4 this season. He's shooting 39.1 percent from the floor, down from 45.6 percent last year. But the Rockets are 10-3, good enough for third best in the West, and Harden's defense is a factor -- this time, for the right reasons.

Defensive win shares estimate the number of wins a player produces thanks to defensive ability. Last season, Harden had 2.7 defensive win shares. That was in 73 games. Through just 13 games this year, he's already at 1.04. And his defensive rating, an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions, is also much improved. In his first five seasons in the league, Harden's defensive rating was 108, 107, 106, 105 and 104 respectively. This season, it's 97.

Harden told the Houston Chronicle he has stepped up his focus on the defensive end. "I have been able to anticipate what's next and I have been able to lock in," he said. "A lot of credit to my teammates and coaches. They have done a good job scheming and communicating."

Harden has stepped up and so has Houston, which leads the league in defensive efficiency as a team at 94.5 points per 100 possessions. Having Trevor Ariza (tied for third in the league in defensive win shares) on the team has certainly helped Harden, who has also seen an uptick in his rebounding, up to 6.4 per game from 4.7 last season.

"You have to score the ball and play offense and you have to be able to be able to play defense as well," Harden told the Chronicle. "I feel like I have the offensive part down pretty well. It's a matter of me focusing and being able to do both parts at a high level."

So far this season, Harden has done that. All jokes aside, Harden is improved on the defensive end.

dilley
11-25-2014, 02:32 AM
welp, i didn't see that coming..wtf :biggums:

J Shuttlesworth
In his defense,

Fudge
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bruuuuuuuuuuh

UK2K
11-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Technically he did exactly what he was supposed to do, which is, force the ball handler to make a pass.

After that, well, he took himself out of the play. But in all fairness, Harden did force the ball out of the middle of the floor.

I supposed he could have retreated to stop the 3 on 1, but... Its the NBA.

dontgetchoked
11-25-2014, 02:44 AM
Who's getting defensive? I'm not defensive. I'm never defensive. No one calls me defensive.

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 02:44 AM
11-3

Best defense in the NBA. Spamming gifs won't change reality. Harden stays winning. :oldlol:

el_locoteee
11-25-2014, 02:46 AM
And finish with 3 steals and one block shoot.

10-3 Best defense in the NBA :banana: :djparty

oarabbus
11-25-2014, 02:47 AM
And finish with 3 steals and one block shoot.

10-3 Best defense in the NBA :banana: :djparty

That easy schedule though

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 02:49 AM

Houston has had one of the toughest schedules so far and have been hit with a ton of injuries. No excuses.

Genaro
11-25-2014, 02:50 AM
Lol this one has to go to the defensive juggernaut 2014-15 edition

SugarHill
11-25-2014, 02:51 AM
Houston has had one of the toughest schedules so far and have been hit with a ton of injuries. No excuses.

Who says no excuses after listing excuses a sentence before?

RRR3
11-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Harden could win DPOY and you guys would still say he sucked.

el_locoteee

No Dwight, no Jones, No Beverly.

And held the 140 Dallas Mavericks the night before best scoring team in the NBA to a 92 points with the best defensive center out of the game.

Only 2 time they have allow more than 100 points.

:banana:

YouGotServed
Who says no excuses after listing excuses a sentence before?

:biggums:

noob cake
11-25-2014, 02:53 AM
Harden defense must be pretty great seeing how this is the first (?) GIF this season? As we are all aware, Harden haters can upload a defensive lapse within seconds of it happening.

I'll take #1 in DWS + #1 team defense + 10-3 record any day. Suck it Haters.

:roll:

oarabbus
11-25-2014, 03:04 AM

Over half their games have been against weak teams. Knicks x2, Lakers x2, Thunder, Sixers, Twolves, Celtics, Jazz. Real tough schedule :rolleyes:

Heavincent
11-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Best defense in the NBA.

Warriors, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Bulls are better.

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 03:22 AM
Wait so we're punishing Houston for winning ball games now? :oldlol: They don't get to choose who to play next. How is them doing their job a negative?

We can speculate what would happen if the schedule were different but that's all it is, speculation. I'll stick to facts and facts say Houston is easily one of the best teams in the NBA. Facts and empirical evidence also say Houston, led by Harden, is one of the best defensive teams in the NBA.

You clowns can continue to speculate what would happen in an alternate universe were the Rockets aren't good and don't play defense.

I'll stick to reality doe.

11-3. Best defense in the NBA.

Inferno
11-25-2014, 03:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

28th in SOS

B-b-b-ut one of the hardest schedules doe!!

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 03:29 AM

28th in SOS

Rent free.

Fudge
11-25-2014, 03:32 AM

28th in SOS

:lol :lol

Inferno fire blast!!!

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-25-2014, 03:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/s60NAbe.png

Milbuck
11-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Guys, lay off the Rockets. They're taking care of business.

It's not like they're getting assrammed by 25+ points by real contenders like, say, Memphis. When your teams can beat such juggernauts as the Lakers, Jazz, Celtics, Sixers TWICE, Twolves, etc...then talk shit.

Until then, just sit back and embrace the greatness that is James Harden.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5opMCgS5P5Q/U1Sr0AZXUoI/AAAAAAAAFaU/HFvYz3nr8wY/s1600/4.gif

http://shandyfiles.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/images/body/thefumble/ku-xlarge.gif

Droid101
11-25-2014, 03:44 AM
Wait so we're punishing Houston for winning ball games now? :.
You are literal shit, as is Harden on defense.

Smook A.
11-25-2014, 04:02 AM
Lol, some of you guys don't know when to give credit when its due, and its honestly becoming disgusting. Nobody in the NBA is a perfect defender. Even the best defenders won't play the best defense ever single play. Now im not saying Harden is a great defender. I'm just trying to say that the majority of all you guys look at the negatives. Most of you fail to realize how much Harden has improved on the defensive end. Keep bringing up the old retarded jokes about how he's the worst defender the game has ever seen and keep calling him "Haren" or any other stupid name. Joking around is fun, but holy shit some of you overuse the jokes so much to the point where I don't even wanna read your posts. It's the same old recycled stuff.

Anyway, if you actually watched a little Harden this season (I don't give a f*ck how boring you think he is) then you'll notice that he is actually giving effort on playing defense. He's more focused and is actually trying to stay in front of his man. Good part is, he's doing a good job at it. Where the hell are you guys when Harden makes good defensive plays? Where were the idiots when Harden made that key defensive play vs Dallas a couple nights ago to seal the game? You guys only come out when something negative happens. Hey let's try something new for a change! Look at the positives instead of the small negative mistakes.

Every single player in this league plays bad defense at some point, but noooo. It HAS to be Mr. James Harden who gets picked on. Tons of shitty defenders in this league and I always see the same guy getting exposed. Someone should really make a compilation of Harden's defensive effort this season. He's been decent and that's a huge step he took. Give the guy some f*cking credit for once instead of always taking a big pile of shit on him. I don't care if you hate him, but you gotta respect the effort he's been putting on defense this season.

@Milbuck: Find some new material bro.

Dragic4Life
11-25-2014, 04:23 AM
James Harden turns into a gargoyle on transition defense. (http://gfycat.com/BarrenFormalGalah)

UK2K
11-25-2014, 04:24 AM
Lol, some of you guys don't know when to give credit when its due, and its honestly becoming disgusting. Nobody in the NBA is a perfect defender. Even the best defenders won't play the best defense ever single play. Now im not saying Harden is a great defender. I'm just trying to say that the majority of all you guys look at the negatives. Most of you fail to realize how much Harden has improved on the defensive end. Keep bringing up the old retarded jokes about how he's the worst defender the game has ever seen and keep calling him "Haren" or any other stupid name. Joking around is fun, but holy shit some of you overuse the jokes so much to the point where I don't even wanna read your posts. It's the same old recycled stuff.

Anyway, if you actually watched a little Harden this season (I don't give a f*ck how boring you think he is) then you'll notice that he is actually giving effort on playing defense. He's more focused and is actually trying to stay in front of his man. Good part is, he's doing a good job at it. Where the hell are you guys when Harden makes good defensive plays? Where were the idiots when Harden made that key defensive play vs Dallas a couple nights ago to seal the game? You guys only come out when something negative happens. Hey let's try something new for a change! Look at the positives instead of the small negative mistakes.

Every single player in this league plays bad defense at some point, but noooo. It HAS to be Mr. James Harden who gets picked on. Tons of shitty defenders in this league and I always see the same guy getting exposed. Someone should really make a compilation of Harden's defensive effort this season. He's been decent and that's a huge step he took. Give the guy some f*cking credit for once instead of always taking a big pile of shit on him. I don't care if you hate him, but you gotta respect the effort he's been putting on defense this season.

Houston team defense:

Opp FG% - #2 (.416%)
Opp 3Pt FG% - #1 (.273%)
Opp PPS - #1 (1.11)
Opp PPG - #2 (91.7)
Opp TO - #9 (15.1)

People can complain and hate all they want about defense and who doesn't do what, but the numbers dont lie.

And to the bolded part above, someone on Clutchfans edited a video to make Harden look like a defensive juggernaut. You can probably find it on youtube if you look. Just goes to show you can edit a seasons worth of plays into a 10 minute video to make anything look like whatever you want.

Milbuck
11-25-2014, 04:25 AM

No you don't.

It's like a dude expecting a pat on the back for not going to prison.

The dude is supposedly a franchise player, the best player at his position, a top 10 player, future HOFer....if the expectations for him are to just put forth some semblance of effort...that's ****ing pathetic. And it's not like he's 50 year old JJ Barea physically with the brain of Javale McGee after 10 years of glue huffing. He's got the physical tools and IQ to be a terrific defender, not just good, but one of the best in the league..and we've seen that in play before he became this hyped up pseudo-superstar who feels he's better than that end of the floor. To act like him now merely "giving a shit" is some praiseworthy act, is pretty damn depressing. My ****ing goodness has the shooting guard position gone to shit.

If he and Rockets fans need that pat on the back so desperately, whatever. Don't bitch and moan when in April, your embarrassingly low expectations for your "superstar" lead to him coming short.....again :oldlol:

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 04:28 AM
You are literal shit, as is Harden on defense.

I have no idea who you are. But, rent free.

KingPush
11-25-2014, 04:28 AM
No you don't.

The dude is supposedly a franchise player, the best player at his position, a top 10 player, future HOFer....if the expectations for him are to just put forth some semblance of effort...that's ****ing pathetic. And it's not like he's 50 year old JJ Barea physically with the brain of Javale McGee after 10 years of glue huffing. He's got the physical tools and IQ to be a terrific defender, not just good, but one of the best in the league..and we've seen that in play before he became this hyped up pseudo-superstar who feels he's better than that end of the floor. To act like him now merely "giving a shit" is some praiseworthy act, is pretty damn depressing. My ****ing goodness has the shooting guard position gone to shit.

If he and Rockets fans need that pat on the back so desperately, whatever. Don't bitch and moan when in April, your embarrassingly low expectations for your "superstar" lead to him coming short.....again :oldlol:
lmfao

stop hating on harden tho :coleman:

Biggyd81
11-25-2014, 04:40 AM
You plebs need some new material :sleeping

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 04:45 AM
Guys, the only reason Milbuck makes fun of Harden so much is because he knows James has the talent to be great. You don't see him bashing guys like Thompson or Ellis, those guys have a limited ceiling. Harden has legit superstar potential. This Milbuck-Harden relationship is so cute. Underneath of all the hate and jokes there's a die hard Harden fan who just wants to see him succeed.

I'm with you Milby, push that n!gga to the max. Harden is better than that. This "layup or 3 pointer" system is butt. Morey needs to cut the BS and hire a real coach who runs real plays.

spiegel
11-25-2014, 04:47 AM
No you don't.

you a salty lin fan

Milbuck
11-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Guys, the only reason Milbuck makes fun of Harden so much is because he knows James has the talent to be great. You don't see him bashing guys like Thompson or Ellis, those guys have a limited ceiling. Harden has legit superstar potential. This Milbuck-Harden relationship is so cute. Underneath of all the hate and jokes there's a die hard Harden fan who just wants to see him succeed.

I'm with you Milby, push that n!gga to the max. Harden is better than that. This "layup or 3 pointer" system is butt. Morey needs to cut the BS and hire a real coach who runs real plays.
Honestly you're not that far off. Anyone who can't see that I'm ~75% joking and extensively exaggerating with this stuff is pants on head retarded.

I really do dislike him and his bullshit game, but I also do think he could be one of the greats. But he just as easily could end his career being the Mitch Richmond of this era legacy-wise, the guy 20 years from now everyone says "hey remember that guy? We need to talk about him more"...because he didn't do jack shit to reach the next level when he was actually in the league.

brantonli
11-25-2014, 05:00 AM
I can't believe some people are taking YGS seriously about the strength of schedule, of course hte Rockets have been playing a very easy schedule so far, that's why our record is so good.

On the flip side, that one play doesn't invalidate Harden's obvious improvement on the defensive end either, he is focusing far more on that end, but since nobody watches the full games, and relies on these GIFs, they still think he's w terrible defender all the time.

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 05:05 AM
I'm with you. Harden needs to develop the midrange, post up game, pull up 2 etc etc. I get that. This all starts with Morey tho. Harden shoots so many 3s partly because of the system McHale has developed in Houston. No midrange game? The f*ck is that? Does that even work in the playoffs? Legitimately asking. Harden can expand his repertoire all he wants, it'll be pretty much useless if your coach tells you not to shoot 2s.

Fire McHale and hire a coach who will maximize everyone's potential.

I can't believe some people are taking YGS seriously about the strength of schedule, of course hte Rockets have been playing a very easy schedule so far, that's why our record is so good.

On the flip side, that one play doesn't invalidate Harden's obvious improvement on the defensive end either, he is focusing far more on that end, but since nobody watches the full games, and relies on these GIFs, they still think he's w terrible defender all the time.

:lol I didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

el_locoteee
11-25-2014, 05:09 AM
I'm with you. Harden needs to develop the midrange, post up game, pull up 2 etc etc. I get that. This all starts with Morey tho. Harden shoots so many 3s partly because of the system McHale has developed in Houston. No midrange game? The f*ck is that? Does that even work in the playoffs? Legitimately asking. Harden can expand his repertoire all he wants, it'll be pretty much useless if your coach tells you not to shoot 2s.

Fire McHale and hire a coach who will maximize everyone's potential.

:lol I didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

Harden have a nice crossover step back mid range shoot that's a beauty.

YouGotServed
11-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Harden have a nice crossover step back mid range shoot that's a beauty.

Agreed! His step back to the right is legit. He has the touch and range. Remember, only reason Morey implemented this no midrange game is because Houston did not have a go-to guy back then. Everyone had to move the ball. Drive and kick. That should have changed when we signed Harden and later Howard.

Not saying the 3 ptr isn't important. It is, San Antonio just won a title partly because of how efficient they were from behind the arc. I'm saying, expand your game. Run plays every now and then. For instance, when Houston went down 0-2 last season, McHale realized the "Morey system" wasn't working. So he started running plays, specifically the Dwight Harden pick and roll. Money. Either Harden drives, pulls up for 2, lobs it to Howard or kicks it out. Pretty basic/simple play. I don't think I've seen the Dwight Harden pick and roll this year. Not once.

lololol

el_locoteee
11-25-2014, 05:38 AM
Agreed! His step back to the right is legit. He has the touch and range. Remember, only reason Morey implemented this no midrange game is because Houston did not have a go-to guy back then. Everyone had to move the ball. Drive and kick. That should have changed when we signed Harden and later Howard.

Not saying the 3 ptr isn't important. It is, San Antonio just won a title partly because of how efficient they were from behind the arc. I'm saying, expand your game. Run plays every now and then. For instance, when Houston went down 0-2 last season, McHale realized the "Morey system" wasn't working. So he started running plays, specifically the Dwight Harden pick and roll. Money. Either Harden drives, pulls up for 2, lobs it to Howard or kicks it out. Pretty basic/simple play. I don't think I've seen the Dwight Harden pick and roll this year. Not once.

lololol

They done the P&R multiple times resulting in a lot of dunks by Howard but the truth is they haven play enough due to injuries this season, and when they did Houston was stroking it from 3 most of the games.

I think P&R are fine later on the game as a 2 man game to close the deal, early even if is effective won't involve other players, so moving the ball and drive and kick is the best for the team to start.

The true is that Houston have not played with an entire starting rotation for a while now and have to be basically just trying to win with what you have. So far what we saw vs bad teams and a fully healthy team was a beautiful and efficient offense blowing the weak opposition.

UK2K
11-25-2014, 06:12 AM
They done the P&R multiple times resulting in a lot of dunks by Howard but the truth is they haven play enough due to injuries this season, and when they did Houston was stroking it from 3 most of the games.

I think P&R are fine later on the game as a 2 man game to close the deal, early even if is effective won't involve other players, so moving the ball and drive and kick is the best for the team to start.

The true is that Houston have not played with an entire starting rotation for a while now and have to be basically just trying to win with what you have. So far what we saw vs bad teams and a fully healthy team was a beautiful and efficient offense blowing the weak opposition.
This.

Houston hasn't had a full roster since opening night. Some nights, they have Harden, Ariza, and a bunch of D league players.

The offense we've seen so far isn't indicative of the offense we'll see with a healthy roster.

Chicago Brawls
11-25-2014, 06:30 AM
James Haren has no D.

ElPigto
11-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Schedule has definitely been very good to the Rockets, especially with all these injuries to the starters. I'll take the wins every day, but lets not get crazy here. Lets see how we do once our schedule starts getting tougher. Remember the Blazers last year? Started out like 25-4 or some shit like that, and then were scrambling to stay in the playoff picture towards the end of the season.

In regards to Harden's D, it's definitely improved a lot. You guys can find gifs all you want, but if you watch the whole game, you would realize how amazing Harden's defense has been. Why is no one posting a gif of the last minute versus Dallas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4hq_TuPhc#t=145