PDA

View Full Version : 8 Years Ago Gilbert Arenas...

Vman23
12-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Went into a prime Kobe Bryant's building and dropped 60/8/8/2, and the most points ever scored in overtime. Its important to note that Kobe had a strong game also and tried to outduel Gilbert, but in this specific moment of time, nobody, not even Kobe, had more swagger than Gilbert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrLrD6_8-o

Smoke117
12-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Product of the rule change.

Vman23
12-01-2014, 11:45 PM

Really? I think of Gilbert's Arenas offensive arsenal, and the guy literally had no weaknesses outside of shot selection. Had probably the most range in nba history, midrange game, could get by any defender at will, good mid range game, and could post up smaller guards. His biggest weakness was that he was dumb as a rock and had shitty shot selection, but when focused? Total offensive package.

chocolatethunder
12-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Went into a prime Kobe Bryant's building and dropped 60/8/8/2, and the most points ever scored in overtime. Its important to note that Kobe had a strong game also and tried to outduel Gilbert, but in this specific moment of time, nobody, not even Kobe, had more swagger than Gilbert.

Man I didn't realize it was his swagger that caused him to drop 60. I guess players these days need more swagger.

inclinerator
12-01-2014, 11:52 PM
gilbert said no 1 worked harder than him except maybe kobe during that time

Heavincent
12-01-2014, 11:54 PM
And he's still getting paid 8 years later.

Vman23
12-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Odd Fact: Gilbert Arenas is 13th all time in career +-, and among point guards is #3 all time behind Magic Johnson and Steve Nash. So even with all the chucking, he had the third biggest impact on his teams offense among all point guards. Also, his 13.6 win shares in 06 is better than a lot of guys career best such as Derick Rose, Paul Pierce, Carmello Anthony, basically its better than most border line Hall of Famers. That said, he basically had a career ending injury at 25 years old when Gerald Wallace fell on his knee.

sick_brah07
12-02-2014, 12:09 AM
One of my fav players of all time i absolutely loved his confidence and attitude ... and that buzzer beater three where he turns and raises his arms before it goes in has to be my favourite shot of all time

SHAQisGOAT
12-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Damn, that long already...

sick_brah07
12-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Odd Fact: Gilbert Arenas is 13th all time in career +-, and among point guards is #3 all time behind Magic Johnson and Steve Nash. So even with all the chucking, he had the third biggest impact on his teams offense among all point guards. Also, his 13.6 win shares in 06 is better than a lot of guys career best such as Derick Rose, Paul Pierce, Carmello Anthony, basically its better than most border line Hall of Famers. That said, he basically had a career ending injury at 25 years old when Gerald Wallace fell on his knee.

I know wallace didnt do it on purpose but ill forever hate him for it ... his style of play is reckless and dumb

imnew09
12-02-2014, 12:17 AM
That Lakers D tho :bowdown:

L.Kizzle
12-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Really? I think of Gilbert's Arenas offensive arsenal, and the guy literally had no weaknesses outside of shot selection. Had probably the most range in nba history, midrange game, could get by any defender at will, good mid range game, and could post up smaller guards. His biggest weakness was that he was dumb as a rock and had shitty shot selection, but when focused? Total offensive package.
Arenas was on his way to a Hall of Fame career, before being injured by Gerald Wallace.

You have to realize Gilbert would probably be at the tail end of his prime right now, if things had worked out in his favor.

Noob Saibot
12-02-2014, 12:54 AM
that game was a classic...the man was an offensive juggernaut that one year. Kobe doing everything to keep up with Gilbert's scoring and it didn't matter. :bowdown:

ROCSteady
12-02-2014, 01:06 AM
I somewhat forgot he did that on the Smush-Kwame-Vlad Rad-Sasha-Walton-Kobe Lakers LMFAO

ralph_i_el
12-02-2014, 01:09 AM
I miss Gilbert :( people just think about the gun stuff, but before his knee injury he was a legit star

Akrazotile
12-02-2014, 01:23 AM

Swagger is definitely a priority over playoff success.

Its all about the swag.

Vman23
12-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Swagger is definitely a priority over playoff success.

Its all about the swag.

In his first playoff series, Gilbert's team fell down 0-2 to the Chicago Bulls. As underdogs, they were written off. Gilbert led the Wizards to four straight wins, and in game 5? He hit a buzzer beater over two defenders, helping to lead the Wizards to their first playoff series win in 20 years.

The next year, he dueled Lebron James in a 6 game series in which he averaged 34/6/6 on 46% shooting.

Both these years, his team had the third and fourth worst defense in the entire NBA.

During the 07 year, Gilbert led his team to the best record in the Eastern Conference at the All-Star break, people forget that Wizards head coach Eddie Jordan was the Eastern Conference All-Stars Head Coach. Eddie Jordan is out of the league now btw.

gts
12-02-2014, 01:41 AM
Odd Fact: Gilbert Arenas is 13th all time in career +-, and among point guards is #3 all time behind Magic Johnson and Steve Nash. .It's not a stat for comparing players on different teams in different systems across different eras... it's for comparing players on the same team.

sick_brah07
12-02-2014, 02:23 AM
In his first playoff series, Gilbert's team fell down 0-2 to the Chicago Bulls. As underdogs, they were written off. Gilbert led the Wizards to four straight wins, and in game 5? He hit a buzzer beater over two defenders, helping to lead the Wizards to their first playoff series win in 20 years.

The next year, he dueled Lebron James in a 6 game series in which he averaged 34/6/6 on 46% shooting.

Both these years, his team had the third and fourth worst defense in the entire NBA.

During the 07 year, Gilbert led his team to the best record in the Eastern Conference at the All-Star break, people forget that Wizards head coach Eddie Jordan was the Eastern Conference All-Stars Head Coach. Eddie Jordan is out of the league now btw.

Gilbert was a legit superstar and its a shame how quickly people forget

ImKobe
12-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Gilbert was a legit superstar and its a shame how quickly people forget

:applause:

one of the most underrated players of all-time.

Droid101
12-02-2014, 02:46 AM
Yup. Weak east plus his natural talent is all time stuff.

shadow
12-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Man I was at that game. Till the 4th quarter Kobe kept up. IN OT it was all Gilbo. At the time it was a huge bummer, being a laker fan and all, but it's cool to look back at it and realize, yeah I saw a player drop 60 and out shoot Kobe while doing it.

airchibundo507
12-02-2014, 09:55 AM
****ing Gerald Wallace

http://youtu.be/xZZwCMggYgc

reckless POS

sportjames23
12-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Damn, Kobe got BODIED. On his own home court, too. :oldlol:

swagga
12-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Yup. Weak east plus his natural talent is all time stuff.

can't believe i'm actually agreeging with one of the biggest idiots on this board but yes his offensive talent was HOF level.

Random_Guy
12-02-2014, 10:23 AM
well his 3pt turnaround gamewinner will forever be in my mind, just like tmacs 13 in 33 secs

BurningHammer
12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
He is only 32, but why he hasn't had a team to play this year yet?

coin24
12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
He didn't look that bad when he played for the Grizzlies 2 seasons ago, wonder what he's up to now:confusedshrug:

agent zero was a beast:rockon:

GimmeThat
12-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Mike Bibby pure beast mode

Im Still Ballin
12-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Mike Bibby pure beast mode
:applause:

HomieWeMajor
12-02-2014, 11:55 AM
I loved watching prime Hitachi :applause:

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
It's Hibachi. I'm sure you were a big fan.

DCL
12-02-2014, 12:28 PM
when you drop 60 in the nba, people will still talk about you 8 years later.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Here's some more odd facts he averaged 5.3 assists to 3.2 turnovers for his career. He shot 42% for his career and 35% from 3. In his two highest scoring years he took 20.9 shots to get 29 and 28 ppg. So cherry picking a plus minus rating to show how much of an impact he had on offense is misleading at best. He was a point guard in name only. He was a guy who looked for his shot first second and third and then maybe he would give up the rock. He was exciting and had some great games and was awesome for a second rounder but he was what he was, a chucker with awful shot selection that would never win you a championship in a million years. He was a nice guy and smart but he had one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't think that he had anywhere near the most range in NBA history he just had no conscience and would jack up a shot at any time. This has to be one of the more absurd things said on ISH in a while.

Here's some stats on his great mid range game.

in shots 3-10 ft he never shot above .353 for a full season and shot .271 for his career

in shots 10-16 ft he shot .458 one time AFTER he was hurt. He never shot above .411 before that and averaged .394 for his career

shots <16 ft he never shot above .431 and shot .408 for his career

Bernard King shot .518 for his career and barely shot any 3s. That's a midrange game.

kurple
12-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Here's some more odd facts he averaged 5.3 assists to 3.2 turnovers for his career. He shot 42% for his career and 35% from 3. In his two highest scoring years he took 20.9 shots to get 29 and 28 ppg. So cherry picking a plus minus rating to show how much of an impact he had on offense is misleading at best. He was a point guard in name only. He was a guy who looked for his shot first second and third and then maybe he would give up the rock. He was exciting and had some great games and was awesome for a second rounder but he was what he was, a chucker with awful shot selection that would never win you a championship in a million years. He was a nice guy and smart but he had one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen.
OMG turnovers and FG%

ISH :facepalm

Pair him with Prime Shaq (ala Kobe) and watch the two of them 3peat

Element
12-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Bernard King was a completely different style of mid-range jumpshooter than Gilbert. He was mostly taking turnarounds and rarely stepped outside 17 ft to shoot. Now I do agree that Bernard King clearly was a better mid-range shooter than Arenas, but the comparison is pretty dumb

With that being said Arenas definitely had a nice mid-range game but random ass shot selection.

Proctor
12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
One of the most entertaining players ever. Dude was borderline automatic from 30-35 feet. :lol Absolutely loved watching him play and wish he was still in the league.

kurple
12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Bernard King was a completely different style of mid-range jumpshooter than Gilbert. He was mostly taking turnarounds and rarely stepped outside 17 ft to shoot. Now I do agree that Bernard King clearly was a better mid-range shooter than Arenas, but the comparison is pretty dumb

With that being said Arenas definitely had a nice mid-range game but random ass shot selection.
yeah, is there anyone that has ever said Gil had better midrange game than King

Fudge
12-02-2014, 01:12 PM
:roll:

My niga.

Hey Yo
12-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I remember watching him do an interview and the situation they were talking about, Gilbert referred to it as a "double headed sword"

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 01:46 PM
yeah, is there anyone that has ever said Gil had better midrange game than King
I used him because this guy said how great Gil's midrange game was, which I refuted with evidence and told him what a good midrange game looked like. NO but him or someone else had the nerve to say that Gil had the best range ever for a player which is absolutely absurd. Someone also called him a hall of famer.

Yes, I used FG% and Assists/Turnover because this dude was raving about how great a PG Arenas was. So yeah, showing things like efficiency is a normal thing when talking about a PG. He cherry picked a +/- stat that was totally misleading so I used other stats to help show more of what kind of player he was. Arenas would not have meshed with Shaq and Kobe because there would not be enough balls. Kobe clashed with Shaq when they were together could you imagine how Arenas would have fit on that team? He wouldn't have. Look at Irving with Lebron and Love, he's still not giving it up and he's half the player Arenas was and 1/4 of Kobe. Throwing random players who are good together on the same team doesn't work. Arenas was a good player when he was hot and for as many awesome unbelievable shots he would make, he would make just as many boneheaded ones. He was exciting for sure and he was good for the league. All of this romanticizing about him because he's gone has to be a little more realistic. Also, he was an absolutely horrible defender but I'm sure everyone forgot that and thinks he was one of the best in the league.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I remember watching him do an interview and the situation they were talking about, Gilbert referred to it as a "double headed sword"
haha ok that's a good one. Not as good as Hitachi but still pretty good.

Lebron23
12-02-2014, 01:53 PM

"Hibachi". I'd take Prime Gilbo over Westbrook.

Fudge
12-02-2014, 01:54 PM
"Hibachi". I'd take Prime Gilbo over Westbrook.
http://www.egotripland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/russell-westbrook.jpg

Vman23
12-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I used him because this guy said how great Gil's midrange game was, which I refuted with evidence and told him what a good midrange game looked like. NO but him or someone else had the nerve to say that Gil had the best range ever for a player which is absolutely absurd. Someone also called him a hall of famer.

Yes, I used FG% and Assists/Turnover because this dude was raving about how great a PG Arenas was. So yeah, showing things like efficiency is a normal thing when talking about a PG. He cherry picked a +/- stat that was totally misleading so I used other stats to help show more of what kind of player he was. Arenas would not have meshed with Shaq and Kobe because there would not be enough balls. Kobe clashed with Shaq when they were together could you imagine how Arenas would have fit on that team? He wouldn't have. Look at Irving with Lebron and Love, he's still not giving it up and he's half the player Arenas was and 1/4 of Kobe. Throwing random players who are good together on the same team doesn't work. Arenas was a good player when he was hot and for as many awesome unbelievable shots he would make, he would make just as many boneheaded ones. He was exciting for sure and he was good for the league. All of this romanticizing about him because he's gone has to be a little more realistic. Also, he was an absolutely horrible defender but I'm sure everyone forgot that and thinks he was one of the best in the league.

By range I meant shots over 30 feet. I believe Arenas while active was hitting more shots from further distance than anyone in the league. Why does that make you angry lol? You don't think a player that at 25 was coming off two straight 29ppg/6 assists/5 rebound seasons and 3 straight All-NBA teams was a potential Hall of Famer? He's not HOF now, but he was on pace given his age and popularity to potentially be in the running.

As far a fg%, have you heard of TS smart guy? Arenas scored 29ppg on 58% TS, which is pretty damn good.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 02:53 PM
By range I meant shots over 30 feet. I believe Arenas while active was hitting more shots from further distance than anyone in the league. Why does that make you angry lol? You don't think a player that at 25 was coming off two straight 29ppg/6 assists/5 rebound seasons and 3 straight All-NBA teams was a potential Hall of Famer? He's not HOF now, but he was on pace given his age and popularity to potentially be in the running.

As far a fg%, have you heard of TS smart guy? Arenas scored 29ppg on 58% TS, which is pretty damn good.
Doesn't make me angry at all. Again, many players have that range he was one of the few stupid enough to take that shot. If you think that's a good shot then good for you.
As far as PG have you heard of assist/turnover ratio smart guy? He is way at the bottom for his career. But because that stat doesn't fit your narrative of how great he was, you just dismiss that?

Arenas was a great scorer, I'm not taking that away from him at all. But, he had an awful shot selection and was far from a good PG. He was one of the best scorers of his era but he wasn't efficient and didn't do a lot to get his teammates involved. If you read what I said, I said that I liked him and he was good for the league and fun to watch. His brand of basketball wasn't going to win anyone a championship.

He also was a shit defender but no one seems to care about that. Not only was he a shit defender but he barely even tried on defense.

The OP cherry picked a stat and compared Gil to Magic and Nash. That's why I said that stuff about assist/turnover ratio because that is a PG stat. In addition anyone who watches basketball would never compare Nash and Magic to Arenas.

It's interesting that I'm angry because I don't agree with something someone said but yeah man I'm mad.

RedBlackAttack
12-02-2014, 03:16 PM
We can sit here and debate where Gilbo belongs in the hierarchy of guards over the last 30 years, but wherever you think he falls on that list I think we can all agree that he was a uniquely talented scorer. These days, Arenas' name is used as more of a punchline or a cautionary tale about bloated contracts than what he really was... a damn good player.

He may not have had a long career or a prime that stretched for a decade-plus, but at his best, he was as great a scorer as we had in the league. And, regardless of his shot selection or off-court quirks, he was an incredibly entertaining player. I wish there was a little more recognition for his game and a little less on his contract/issues.

I will always remember him as a completely worthy LeBron James opponent/foil in two of the most entertaining series of the last 10 years. He went toe-to-toe against those Cavs teams and I never felt totally confident with him on that roster.

Underrated team and a very scary guy to go against in his prime.

HylianNightmare
12-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I remember that. agent 0 was a delight to watch. like it's been said, his offensive game was very diverse

Vman23
12-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Arenas was a great scorer, I'm not taking that away from him at all. But, he had an awful shot selection and was far from a good PG. He was one of the best scorers of his era but he wasn't efficient and didn't do a lot to get his teammates involved. I

The OP cherry picked a stat and compared Gil to Magic and Nash. That's why I said that stuff about assist/turnover ratio because that is a PG stat. In addition anyone who watches basketball would never compare Nash and Magic to Arenas.

Don't want to derail the thread, but I am not advocating that Gilbert was a great textbook point guard. Assist/turnover ratio is a great stat for pure point guards but Gilbert was not used as a pure point guard nor was that an expectation. The Wizards ran a modified version of the Princeton offense, Gilbert was used primarily as a scorer first and a passer second. That was the offense designed by the coach to take advantage of his scoring ability.

But, his +- shows he had a huge positive impact on his teams offense, and that is all I was stating with my post. He did get his teammates involved. In fact, many players had career years playing next to Gilbert. Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Larry Hughes, Brendan Haywood, they all had their best numbers with Gilbert.

L.Kizzle
12-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Bernard Kimg came into a league with no 3-point line. That makes your game totally different.

chocolatethunder
12-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Don't want to derail the thread, but I am not advocating that Gilbert was a great textbook point guard. Assist/turnover ratio is a great stat for pure point guards but Gilbert was not used as a pure point guard nor was that an expectation. The Wizards ran a modified version of the Princeton offense, Gilbert was used primarily as a scorer first and a passer second. That was the offense designed by the coach to take advantage of his scoring ability.

But, his +- shows he had a huge positive impact on his teams offense, and that is all I was stating with my post. He did get his teammates involved. In fact, many players had career years playing next to Gilbert. Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Larry Hughes, Brendan Haywood, they all had their best numbers with Gilbert.
Jamison had his best numbers before Arenas and then they went up after Arenas was hurt. Jamison also scored over 30ppg in the playoffs when Arenas went down. Caron Butler's best years were without Arenas as well.

In 2005-2006 which is the year before Arenas went down, the team was 3rd in offense in the league. The team shot the ball a lot and they were a high scoring team. The team that year was 21st defensively and 7th in pace. The following season they were 4th offensively and 28th defensively.

So what they were was a team that put up a lot of shots and played very little defense. With the offensive weapons that they had, they should have been able to do more but they were poor defensively and Arenas was one of the biggest offenders when it came to bad defense. That doesn't mean he wasn't an awesome scorer and wasn't fun to watch but it's true. It's kind of hilarious that people still try and bag on Dirk for bad defense although he's won a championship yet Arenas won nothing with good teams and played little defense and yet no one says a thing about it.

Vman23
12-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Jamison had his best numbers before Arenas and then they went up after Arenas was hurt. Jamison also scored over 30ppg in the playoffs when Arenas went down. Caron Butler's best years were without Arenas as well.

In 2005-2006 which is the year before Arenas went down, the team was 3rd in offense in the league. The team shot the ball a lot and they were a high scoring team. The team that year was 21st defensively and 7th in pace. The following season they were 4th offensively and 28th defensively.

So what they were was a team that put up a lot of shots and played very little defense. With the offensive weapons that they had, they should have been able to do more but they were poor defensively and Arenas was one of the biggest offenders when it came to bad defense. That doesn't mean he wasn't an awesome scorer and wasn't fun to watch but it's true. It's kind of hilarious that people still try and bag on Dirk for bad defense although he's won a championship yet Arenas won nothing with good teams and played little defense and yet no one says a thing about it.

My last post, but the point here is there is no argument that Arenas did not get his teammates involved. Multiple players were able to have All-Star seasons playing with him. Its not really arguable. Larry Hughes/Caron Butler/Jamison all had All-Star seasons with Gilbert. There is no argument to be made against the Wizards offense, it was an elite offense that Gilbert ran.

I agree completely the Wizards had a terrible defense and that is what held them back.

JimmyMcAdocious
12-02-2014, 05:45 PM
:oldlol:

Still remember that playoff game in his last year. Gil grabs the rebound, down 1, time running out, dribbles it up the court, and... passes it to Gay who misses a 3pter at the buzzer. Knew it was over for him at that moment. Real Gil would have taken (and likely hit) the gamewinner.

Papaya Petee
12-02-2014, 05:54 PM
How is Gilbert hitting tough jumpshot after tough jumpshot with a hand in his face, driving to the rack at will and finishing in traffic a product of a rule change?

L.Kizzle
12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
:oldlol:

Still remember that playoff game in his last year. Gil grabs the rebound, down 1, time running out, dribbles it up the court, and... passes it to Gay who misses a 3pter at the buzzer. Knew it was over for him at that moment. Real Gil would have taken (and likely hit) the gamewinner.
If he takes and makes that shot, he's still in the league right now.

Artillery
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
That game was proof that Kobe's All-Defense awards were all smoke and mirrors(LA hype machine is very influential). Completely shit all over Bryant with no mercy. How Kobe ever got the reputation for being a "good" defender is beyond me.