PDA

View Full Version : How did Andrew Wiggins get hyped up so much when he really sucks?

PleezeBelieve
12-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Those who over-hyped this guy, did you do it exclusively off YouTube highlights?

Be honest...

Because since he's been on the national scene, he's been the definition of average.

I need answers!

Kvnzhangyay
12-03-2014, 11:49 PM
athleticism

Smook A.
12-03-2014, 11:50 PM
He's a 19 year old rookie who's only played NBA ball for a little over a month. You're too quick to judge. Give the guy some time and he'll start to look better than average. Not all top picks blast off in the beginning of their careers.

PleezeBelieve
12-03-2014, 11:51 PM
athleticism
He's not even that athletic :roll:

Try again...

Kvnzhangyay
12-03-2014, 11:52 PM

Try again...

you serious? :biggums:

Budadiiii
12-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Canadian homers

outbreak
12-03-2014, 11:53 PM
He's a 19 year old rookie who's only played NBA ball for a little over a month. You're too quick to judge. Give the guy some time and he'll start to look better than average. Not all top picks blast off in the beginning of their careers.

This. He has looked decent to me but everyone said Parker was more of an immediate impact rookie whereas Wiggins could be better long term. Anyone making judgements on a rookie after this short of a time span is an idiot but then again this thread is just an agenda thread by the OP.

PleezeBelieve
12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Read the OP... he's never dominated against talent close to his level. He's never been the player that "blasts off" to begin with.

He's an over hyped role player.

RoseCity07
12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
He doesn't suck. He's really young and hasn't had a chance to bulk up. Remember the comparison was Pippen, not Jordan or Lebron.

noob cake
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Canadian homers

Raptors fans and Kansas fans slurping everything up.

Every play gets a highlight.

Little do they realize that basketball skill, no athleticism directly translate into NBA sucess.

noob cake
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM
He doesn't suck. He's really young and hasn't had a chance to bulk up. Remember the comparison was Pippen, not Jordan or Lebron.

Revisionist history much?

It was Jordan, LeBron, TMac, Vince Carter, Dr. J comparison every day

J Shuttlesworth
12-03-2014, 11:56 PM
He's a gamble. He still has a shot to be good. Parker was a better pick from what we've seen so far. You have no idea what he's going to be. That's why the Cavs traded him for KL

PleezeBelieve
12-03-2014, 11:58 PM
This. He has looked decent to me but everyone said Parker was more of an immediate impact rookie whereas Wiggins could be better long term. Anyone making judgements on a rookie after this short of a time span is an idiot but then again this thread is just an agenda thread by the OP.
Wiggins will never be better than Parker. Get out of here the imaginary anecdotal rhetoric that has nothing to do with how he actually plays.

"Where... umm... everyone says Wiggins will be the better long..."

STFU clown :roll:

Im so nba'd out
12-03-2014, 11:58 PM
watch me troll the fk out of wiggin fans

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxvnb73bI01qcfba3o1_500.gif

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 12:00 AM
He's a gamble. He still has a shot to be good. Parker was a better pick from what we've seen so far. You have no idea what he's going to be. That's why the Cavs traded him for KL
I know exactly what type of player he is and will continue to be. I've been saying it for 18 months

Milbuck
12-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Jabari after his 6 point games....."unathletic scrub. fatter derrick williams, tweener that won't do jack shit in the league"

Jabari after 22/8 against Cleveland, smooth highlights....."wow Bucks future is bright, Jabari's gonna be special, future multi-time all star, deceptively athletic"

We've all heard this shit before with so many prospects and Wiggins is no exception...just give them time. Not everyone can go from playing against fellow teenagers, to grown men who are not more athletic but still bigger, stronger, smarter, vastly more experienced than you..against defenses significantly more complex, physical, and unforgiving..and just come out firing immediately with flawless consistency. Prospects vary.

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 12:03 AM
It must hurt you Wiggins nutjobs for him to be the bum I predicted. I know you dudes be checking boxscores nightly waiting to 'get back' at me. :oldlol:

Heavincent
12-04-2014, 12:04 AM
He honestly reminds me of Harrison Barnes.

SugarHill
12-04-2014, 12:06 AM
It must hurt you Wiggins nutjobs for him to be the bum I predicted. I know you dudes be checking boxscores nightly waiting to 'get back' at me. :oldlol:
Dion Waiters is having a great season just like you predicted.

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Jabari after his 6 point games....."unathletic scrub. fatter derrick williams, tweener that won't do jack shit in the league"

Jabari after 22/8 against Cleveland, smooth highlights....."wow Bucks future is bright, Jabari's gonna be special, future multi-time all star, deceptively athletic"

We've all heard this shit before with so many prospects and Wiggins is no exception...just give them time. Not everyone can go from playing against fellow teenagers, to grown men who are not more athletic but still bigger, stronger, smarter, vastly more experienced than you..against defenses significantly more complex, physical, and unforgiving..and just come out firing immediately with flawless consistency. Prospects vary.
What's the difference between Wiggins and Harrison Barnes?

Nothing...

Both are tall and long with great combine numbers but can't translate that athleticism in games.

Both are streaky shooters with to little to no mid range jumper.

Both struggle through contact and finishing at the rim despite great size for their positions.

Both are terrible passers with no vision.

Both can't handle the rock.

And BOTH are/were RIDICULOUSLY over hyped by any measure coming out of high school. Take that wack shit you talking and flush it.

outbreak
12-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Wiggins will never be better than Parker. Get out of here the imaginary anecdotal rhetoric that has nothing to do with how he actually plays.

"Where... umm... everyone says Wiggins will be the better long..."

STFU clown :roll:
:facepalm

There's no point arguing with you. You have an agenda you are trying to push and won't listen to reason. At the time of the draft all the write ups talked about Parker being more refined now but Wiggins having a higher potential ceiling due to his physical abilities. They mentioned he was raw though and wouldn't have as big an immediate impact. That's not saying he will definitely surpass Parker (for the record I said here numerous times I wanted Parker on Orlando if we had the number one pick) but it's just how it looked at the time. It's hard to predict futures but from all I've seen he is still on track to be a good player and you are judging him far too early purely out of bias and agenda plus maybe a little mental retardation.

Milbuck
12-04-2014, 12:11 AM
What's the difference between Wiggins and Harrison Barnes?

Nothing...

Both are tall and long with great combine numbers but can't translate that athleticism in games.

Both are streaky shooters with to little to no mid range jumper.

Both struggle through contact and finishing at the rim despite great size for their positions.

Both are terrible passers with no vision.

Both can't handle the rock.

And BOTH are/were RIDICULOUSLY over hyped by any measure coming out of high school. Take that wack shit you talking and flush it.
You've said absolutely nothing I haven't said about Wiggins already. Literally every point you mentioned, I've mentioned at one point or another. I think he has some glaring weaknesses in his game, and I think Jabari has been better at every level and will continue that for good.

The difference being, I view those as his weaknesses and acknowledge how HIGHLY plausible it is for him to work on his game and eliminate one or more of the weaknesses...in a way that someone like Barnes has not. Whereas you consider them irreversible flaws on a career that's already set in stone....one ****ing month in.

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 12:17 AM
You've said absolutely nothing I haven't said about Wiggins already. Literally every point you mentioned, I've mentioned at one point or another. I think he has some glaring weaknesses in his game, and I think Jabari has been better at every level and will continue that for good.

The difference being, I view those as his weaknesses and acknowledge how HIGHLY plausible it is for him to work on his game and eliminate one or more of the weaknesses...in a way that someone like Barnes has not. Whereas you consider them irreversible flaws on a career that's already set in stone....one ****ing month in.
He's had nearly 20 years to 'work' on his game... he is who he is skill wise.

Like seriously, what's so hard to understand this? Fans of every overrated prospect acts like their favorite bum will magically create new skills at the highest level of basketball.

Okay... :biggums:

Smook A.
12-04-2014, 12:23 AM
He's not even that athletic :oldlol:

Try again...
lololol what?! :roll:

BigMacAttack
12-04-2014, 12:25 AM

:lebronamazed:

Euroleague
12-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Why did people say Mirotic was the best player in Europe?

It's called hype.

The actual truth never matters to people that engage in it.

And I am not saying and never said they are bad players. But yes, always they have been crazy over hyped.

outbreak
12-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Like seriously, what's so hard to understand this? Fans of every overrated prospect acts like their favorite bum will magically create new skills at the highest level of basketball.

yeah a 19 year old has been working on his game for nearly 20 years. You are a ****ing idiot

outbreak
12-04-2014, 12:27 AM

It's called hype.

How did you get back here? :biggums:

Euroleague
12-04-2014, 12:30 AM
How did you get back here? :biggums:

Trolling will be reported to abuse and under the new site rules it will be dealt with. Remember that.

senelcoolidge
12-04-2014, 12:32 AM
You have to give him 3-4 years to develop into what he will be. He's a project.

G-train
12-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Those who over-hyped this guy, did you do it exclusively off YouTube highlights?

Be honest...

Because since he's been on the national scene, he's been the definition of average.

I need answers!

"head nod"

midatlantic09
12-04-2014, 12:52 AM

My main problem with Wiggins isn't that he needs time to develop, but the fact that he seems so nonchalant while on the court. He seems to lack drive, hunger, aggressiveness, etc. and seems very timid and passive.

Not sure I'd put much faith into a kid who appears to be softer than ice cream that's been sitting out in 100 degree weather.

Milbuck
12-04-2014, 12:55 AM

It's called hype.

And I am not saying and never said they are bad players. But yes, always they have been crazy over hyped.
He and Giannis are still #2 and #1 respectively in Europe. He might not have been the best but dammit, I think #2 deserves some respect.

livinglegend
12-04-2014, 12:56 AM
:biggums:
He was hyped as another Durant, Lebron or even Melo. Those players didn't take 3 years to develop.

Milbuck
12-04-2014, 12:57 AM

...yes, because no 19 year old has ever in the history of basketball improved on his skills. All 19 years olds are exactly as they are then, in their primes 6-10 years into the future.

I honestly can't tell if this is just a gimmick, or you actually believe this shit so passionately.

livinglegend
12-04-2014, 01:00 AM
We heard the same ''he will develop, give him time'' for Kwame, Dorell Wright, Darko Millic, Westley Johnson, Adam Morrison,... I don't expect Wiggins to turn out like those guys, but I also don't expect him to be a superstar like he was hyped. I see a Luol Deng, Igoudala, Jimmy Butler type of player.

midatlantic09
12-04-2014, 01:15 AM
We heard the same ''he will develop, give him time'' for Kwame, Dorell Wright, Darko Millic, Westley Johnson, Adam Morrison,... I don't expect Wiggins to turn out like those guys, but I also don't expect him to be a superstar like he was hyped. I see a Luol Deng, Igoudala, Jimmy Butler type of player.

This right here, although, Jimmy Butler is waaaaaaay more aggressive/hungry than Wiggins. Therefore, I see more Deng and Iguodala than Butler.

coin24
12-04-2014, 01:17 AM
OP should be an nba scout, he's always right..

Kyrie is a scrub
Waiters is the next DWade and better than beal:lol :lol

Done_And_Done
12-04-2014, 02:01 AM

I doubt he was crafting his skills at 4 years old lol

Jokes aside, you're wrong. Nobody is who they are at 19 and that transcends beyond just basketball and into life in general. Do you not espouse the fact that skills can be developed, learned, and or groomed? I would hope to believe you would answer yes to this...

BlazerRed
12-04-2014, 02:05 AM

Try again...
:facepalm

The Macho Man
12-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Remember when number 1 picks were immediately good and not projects

Like every other n6mber 1 pick except the last 2 and olawakandi... and kwame

VeeCee15
12-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Zach Lavine is more athletic than Wiggins it seems.

Zach is faster, can jump higher too.

RoseCity07
12-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Revisionist history much?

It was Jordan, LeBron, TMac, Vince Carter, Dr. J comparison every day

More like I read the name Scottie Pippen next to the word comparison in Andrew Wiggins NBA draft net. This was years ago. I didn't just check on his profile the day of the draft.

Perry Jones was compared to Kevin Durant before he even played a college game.

noob cake
12-04-2014, 02:19 AM
More like I read the name Scottie Pippen next to the word comparison in Andrew Wiggins NBA draft net. This was years ago. I didn't just check on his profile the day of the draft.

Perry Jones was compared to Kevin Durant before he even played a college game.

Nice try :lol :lol :lol

You compared him to MJ

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8596662&postcount=32

Budadiiii
12-04-2014, 03:16 AM
Nice try :lol :lol :lol

You compared him to MJ

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8596662&postcount=32
Let me get some of that noob cake bro. Looks pretty damn good right about now.

dubeta
12-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Wiggins should've taken LeBrons offer and stayed in Cleveland instead of betraying LeBron and trying to be 'the man' in Minny :facepalm

rightsideup
12-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Is wiggens any worse than parker who was christened to be the better early pro?

noob cake
12-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Is wiggens any worse than parker who was christened to be the better early pro?

Parker 15.78 PER with 1.5 Effective Wins Earned

Wiggins 9.41 PER with -0.2 Effective Wins Earned

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies/sort/VORPe

JtotheIzzo
12-04-2014, 03:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/71350/andrew-wiggins-special-start

JohnMax
12-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Ben McLemore and Anthony Davis are two recent examples of NBA players that needed time to get better

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Parker 15.78 PER with 1.5 Effective Wins Earned

Wiggins 9.41 PER with -0.2 Effective Wins Earned

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies/sort/VORPe
9 PER for a 6'8 #1 pick SF

:roll: :roll: :roll:

DukeDelonte13
12-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Ben McLemore and Anthony Davis are two recent examples of NBA players that needed time to get better

Davis didn't have the questions surrounding him like Wiggins did. Everybody just knew Davis was going to be a stud. Wiggins' ballhandling and aggressiveness were constantly questioned.

I think Wiggins will be fine; he'll be a excellent pro and has legit all star potential.

Dresta
12-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Davis didn't have the questions surrounding him like Wiggins did. Everybody just knew Davis was going to be a stud. Wiggins' ballhandling and aggressiveness were constantly questioned.

I think Wiggins will be fine; he'll be a excellent pro and has legit all star potential.
Pretty sure there was a thread like this about Davis a 1-2 years ago.

midatlantic09
12-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure there was a thread like this about Davis a 1-2 years ago.

However, the difference is that Davis was a very efficient player from the very beginning and had the skillset to be great. Wiggins is not efficient and lacks handles, can't create his own shot, lacks hunger/competitiveness/leadership abilities, and comes across as very timid/soft.

chocolatethunder
12-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Who cares. Dudes ride Exums nuts like he's Kobe or something. All these dudes are 19-20 years old. Get used to it. The draft classes are gonna look uglier and uglier and it's going to take more time for kids to develop especially when the eliminate the minimum age.

It's usually really smart to judge what type of player a kid is a month and a half into his rookie season. No idea if he'll be good or not but he can shoot a lil bit and he's really athletic. I mean shit people ride Exums nuts and he's not athletic and can't shoot so whatever. Who knows, in four years the whole draft class could all be studs. It's impossible to know now.

ILLsmak
12-04-2014, 04:16 PM
He doesn't suck, but yea all of that BEST IN YEARS talk was kinda wut. I saw some of him. He did some shit but to me the good players have 'feel' for the game... I can't think of anyone who obtained that 'intangible feel' for the game no matter how much they practiced.

Like Okafor, that dude has feel. I'm hyping him as a star.

"Wow, how did he catch that oop" or "Get that rebound" etc, those things are impressive, but I prefer the "Wow he played that dude... again. Wow he's toying with him." I saw lots of dunks and crazy plays from Wiggins, but I never felt like he was doing that, even in college.

Still I bet he'll be good.

Edit:

I didn't believe Davis could get 25 a game. At age 21 that's putting him on 'one of the best of all time' level. That he can do what he does and still find a way to get points. 25, 11, 3 blocks, 2 steals. That's insanity. I coulda seen him being like 18 points and that, but nah... I think there were def questions about whether Davis could score at a superstar level.

-Smak

Hey Yo
12-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas shrink from NCAA tournament with upset loss to Stanford

By Pat Forde
March 23, 2014 5:09 PM

ST. LOUIS – In the end, the season rode on the shoulders of a Kansas freshman.

That was not a surprise, given the makeup of this Jayhawks team. But it was a dreadful, desperate surprise that the freshman in that role was Conner Frankamp.

Not Andrew Wiggins, the Sports Illustrated cover boy falsely hyped as the greatest talent to grace the game since LeBron James. He was laboring to the end of a miserable four-point, four-turnover performance.

Wiggins spared himself no mercy in the glum Jayhawks locker room. There was no camouflaging his 1-for-6 dud of a game, and he did not try to do so.

"I think everyone played good but me," Wiggins said. "I played bad. I wasn't there for my teammates when they needed me."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/andrew-wiggins--kansas-shrink-from-ncaa-tournament-with-upset-loss-to-stanford-210936142-ncaab.htm

His performance against a school like that "in the tourney" should have been a tell.

Lebron23
12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
He was already hyped as the 2nd coming of Jordan, Lebron, and Kobe when he just turned 13. I think he can still be a 20 ppg type of player at his best.

Mr. I'm So Rad
12-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Remember when number 1 picks were immediately good and not projects

Like every other n6mber 1 pick except the last 2 and olawakandi... and kwame

Bullets no longer regretting that pick though

Clyde
12-04-2014, 06:00 PM
we're here talking about Wiggins?

What about the entire over hyped draft class so far?

Andrei89
12-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Wiggins is a future superstar.

Pleezbelieve never made a decent thread in his life.

In fact, I dare somebody to find me a PB thread where he doesn't not spew absolute bullshit.

Ok thanks

LoneyROY7
12-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Dion Waiters.

/thread.

PleezeBelieve
12-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Wiggins is a future superstar.

Pleezbelieve never made a decent thread in his life.

In fact, I dare somebody to find me a PB thread where he doesn't not spew absolute bullshit.

Ok thanks
This thread going on 4000 views :eek:

Andrei89
12-04-2014, 07:10 PM
And? Is that supposed to say something?

red1
12-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Dion Waiters.

/thread.
http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa14/wp-content/uploads/sites/13467/2014/10/Barack-Cheesin.jpg

kamil
12-04-2014, 09:04 PM

There's a lot of those on ISH.

Euroleague
12-04-2014, 09:55 PM
He and Giannis are still #2 and #1 respectively in Europe. He might not have been the best but dammit, I think #2 deserves some respect.

Abuse report sent for blatant trolling. You will also be reported to admin if you keep it up.

Relinquish
12-04-2014, 10:32 PM

:lebronamazed: