PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 In The Game

upside24
12-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Doesn't get much easier than this. List your top 5 best players in the NBA.

I've got:

LeBron
Durant (I know it's early but I think he is still 2)
Curry
AD
Duncan

My defense for Duncan is he is still elite despite his age and reduced minutes. With Duncan you have to watch games and see how he always seems to make the right plays (IQ off the charts), still is a great rebounder and best post scorer (IMO, DMC is right there with him) in the NBA and he just flat out knows how to win games.

Like LeBron, Magic and Bird he knows and understands the game in a way that few players ever had. I may get bashed for picking Duncan but his impact is undeniable.

FKAri
12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
There seem to be so many basketball players with BBIQ "off the charts". They should really make a new chart with adjusted scales.

Disagree with Duncan. Westbrook, CP, Gasol, Dwight, Harden etc all ahead imo.

RRR3
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
If LeBron is still first despite underperforming, why isn't CP3 still 3rd?

MP.Trey
12-05-2014, 07:55 PM
In no order:
LeBron
Durant
CP
Blake Griff
Anthony Davis

HM to GOATBrook, hard keeping him out.

Andrew Wiggins
12-05-2014, 07:57 PM
If LeBron is still first despite underperforming, why isn't CP3 still 3rd?
you make it sound like cp3 is the undisputed 3rd best player in the league :wtf:

1. lebron
2. durant
3. davis
4. chris paul
5. harden/westbrook/curry/dirk/parker/aldridge

RRR3
12-05-2014, 07:59 PM
you make it sound like cp3 is the undisputed 3rd best player in the league :wtf:

1. lebron
2. durant
3. davis
4. chris paul
5. harden/westbrook/curry/dirk/parker/aldridge
I felt that the last few years the consensus was

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Paul

upside24
12-05-2014, 08:05 PM
There seem to be so many basketball players with BBIQ "off the charts". They should really make a new chart with adjusted scales.

Disagree with Duncan. Westbrook, CP, Gasol, Dwight, Harden etc all ahead imo.
So you deny that Duncan understands the game better than most of the NBA with the exception of LeBron and CP3 (I know I'm forgetting some)? He knows the right way to play and finds ways to get wins.

I just didn't want you to think I was casually applying basketball IQ to Duncan as another compliment to him. I honestly think he is a great basketball mind and understanding the nuances of the game is essential for a great like him.

I don't mind you disagree with him I expected many too. I have CP3 6th on my list because he is a highly skilled intelligent guard who manages a game and knows when it's time to assert himself and do whatever is needed of him for his team to win be it scoring or defense or something else.

G0ATbe
12-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Kobe
Durant
Davis
Irving
Westbrook

Mr Feeny
12-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Kobe
Durant
Davis
Irving
Westbrook

Why is Kobe anywhere near a top 5 list?
Irving? What the heck did I just read?

Milbuck
12-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Duncan is nowhere near a top 5 player. No one is disputing his leadership, IQ, decision making, skills, etc but there comes a point where we have to acknowledge how flawless his situation is. If he's a top 5 player, Jason Kidd was a top 10 player in 2011. I mean, he was still elite despite his age and reduced minutes. With Kidd you have to watch games and see how he always seems to make the right plays (IQ off the charts), still is a great leader and best passer (IMO, CP3 is right there with him) in the NBA and he just flat out knows how to win games.

bizil
12-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Bron
Durant
CP3
Curry
Davis

I gotta see how Kobe can hold up as the season progresses. He's doing fine now, but he needs to get more efficient. Curry and Davis in my book shook up the rankings leaping ahead of guys like Westbrook, Blake, Love, and Howard. Sadly u can't even really consider D-Rose and Wade for this kind of list as of now due to consistent durability issues.

raprap
12-05-2014, 08:17 PM
1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Davis
4. Westbrook
5. Griffin/Paul

SexSymbol
12-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Durant
LeBron
Westbrook
Davis
Kobe

upside24
12-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Duncan is nowhere near a top 5 player. No one is disputing his leadership, IQ, decision making, skills, etc but there comes a point where we have to acknowledge how flawless his situation is. If he's a top 5 player, Jason Kidd was a top 10 player in 2011. I mean, he was still elite despite his age and reduced minutes. With Kidd you have to watch games and see how he always seems to make the right plays (IQ off the charts), still is a great leader and best passer (IMO, CP3 is right there with him) in the NBA and he just flat out knows how to win games.
I understand that other players may have more impact such as BG, Aldridge and Westbrook but I guess I just love Duncan.

I feel that if the Spurs reach the Finals, which they likely may, that a well rested and determined Duncan could put up great numbers like 20/11/3 on +50% FG will adding 2-3 blocks and adding great help defense. If that is what Pop and Duncan thinks it will take, a vintage Duncan finals, then he could play heavy minutes and have a historic finals.

In the past I doubted Duncan's ability to win due to his age and his knees but he has proven me wrong. He is the ultimate winner, leader and one of the greatest players I've been lucky enough to watch.

I was hasty to put him that high I agree. I believe CP3 is 5th then Westbrook 6th.

Legends66NBA7
12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
No order...

Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Stephen Curry
Chris Paul

bizil
12-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Doesn't get much easier than this. List your top 5 best players in the NBA.

I've got:

LeBron
Durant (I know it's early but I think he is still 2)
Curry
AD
Duncan

My defense for Duncan is he is still elite despite his age and reduced minutes. With Duncan you have to watch games and see how he always seems to make the right plays (IQ off the charts), still is a great rebounder and best post scorer (IMO, DMC is right there with him) in the NBA and he just flat out knows how to win games.

Like LeBron, Magic and Bird he knows and understands the game in a way that few players ever had. I may get bashed for picking Duncan but his impact is undeniable.

I agree Duncan is still elite. And Duncan knew he had two HOFers in Tony and Manu who could pick up his scoring slack. He also know knew Pop is a genius who will pick the perfect role players, and at least one of them (Leonard at this point) would break out and become an All Star kind of player.

From there, Timmy KNEW he could scale back and dominate in spurts. He wasn't worried about being the best player on the team. He's ALREADY the GOAT PF with five rings. So he has nothing to prove. He paces himself to ENSURE he has enough left to contribute big time in terms of low post scoring, rebounding, defense, and leadership.

With that said, I can't put Timmy in the top five in the L at this point. BUT he still has enough in the tank to turn back the clock give u vintage Timmy when he needs to do it. Or if he wants to prove a point. He's just not as consistent with it.

With what he brings though, he's still an All Star type big man. And still one of the top ten PF's or C's in the L. Depending on what u list him as. Most of his contemporaries like KG, Vince, Webber, Sheed, T-Mac, AI, Kidd, Nash, Ray, etc. are either out of the league or aren't All Stars anymore. Timmy, Dirk, and Kobe are still going strong and are still All Star kind of players.

T_L_P
12-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Davis
Durant
LeBron
Paul
Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

Btw, OP, I think Duncan has/had a better understanding of the game than LeBron and maybe Paul. Duncan's defensive IQ is probably the best I've ever seen.

3ball
12-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I felt that the last few years the consensus was

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Paul
that was before 2014, when lebron-ball was figured out (it was figured out in 2013 really).

the 2014 Finals took lebron out of the lofty heights of the immortals and mount rushmore, and brought him back to earth with the regular folk.

there is a very good chance he ends his career with 2 championships.

bizil
12-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Davis
Durant
LeBron
Paul
Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

Btw, OP, I think Duncan has/had a better understanding of the game than LeBron and maybe Paul. Duncan's defensive IQ is probably the best I've ever seen.

Those are my top five as well. That lineup MIGHT BE the starting lineup for the US Olympic team in a couple of years. Duncan's IQ doesn't take a backseat to anybody. But Bron and CP3 are on his IQ level in my opinion in terms of utilizing it for the sake of being great team players.

upside24
12-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Davis
Durant
LeBron
Paul
Curry

HM to Cousins and Gasol.

He really is a gifted player both mentally and skill wise which he worked harder than I can probably imagine to develop. He is just such a pleasure to watch.

I'm glad someone else sees the genius of Duncan. Magic and Bird had it too. It's part of what makes the all timers so great.

upside24
12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
I agree Duncan is still elite. And Duncan knew he had two HOFers in Tony and Manu who could pick up his scoring slack. He also know knew Pop is a genius who will pick the perfect role players, and at least one of them (Leonard at this point) would break out and become an All Star kind of player.

From there, Timmy KNEW he could scale back and dominate in spurts. He wasn't worried about being the best player on the team. He's ALREADY the GOAT PF with five rings. So he has nothing to prove. He paces himself to ENSURE he has enough left to contribute big time in terms of low post scoring, rebounding, defense, and leadership.

With that said, I can't put Timmy in the top five in the L at this point. BUT he still has enough in the tank to turn back the clock give u vintage Timmy when he needs to do it. Or if he wants to prove a point. He's just not as consistent with it.

With what he brings though, he's still an All Star type big man. And still one of the top ten PF's or C's in the L. Depending on what u list him as. Most of his contemporaries like KG, Vince, Webber, Sheed, T-Mac, AI, Kidd, Nash, Ray, etc. are either out of the league or aren't All Stars anymore. Timmy, Dirk, and Kobe are still going strong and are still All Star kind of players.
I agree with the entire post.

Especially the consistency part. Once the greats age those monster games become less and less frequent.

I'm just glad Pop is mindful of Timmy's minutes and back to backs resting his players when he sees fit. I wonder as many years of Duncan as possible.

FKAri
12-05-2014, 09:03 PM
So you deny that Duncan understands the game better than most of the NBA with the exception of LeBron and CP3 (I know I'm forgetting some)? He knows the right way to play and finds ways to get wins.

I just didn't want you to think I was casually applying basketball IQ to Duncan as another compliment to him. I honestly think he is a great basketball mind and understanding the nuances of the game is essential for a great like him.

I don't mind you disagree with him I expected many too. I have CP3 6th on my list because he is a highly skilled intelligent guard who manages a game and knows when it's time to assert himself and do whatever is needed of him for his team to win be it scoring or defense or something else.

I don't deny his bbiq.

upside24
12-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't deny his bbiq.
Thought that may have come off harsh, didn't mean for it to. I know you didn't deny it.

Fudge
12-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Durant
Davis
LeBron
Curry
Westbrook

yobore
12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
This year so far

1. Curry
2. Davis