PDA

View Full Version : Start a Franchise : Lebron or Pop ?

Tycriss
12-06-2014, 02:20 PM
With a no playoff team

BurningHammer
12-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Tim Duncan

Fudge
12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Popovich, easily.

MavsSuperFan
12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
With a no playoff team
Lebron

Coaching is overrated in the NBA. Players are much more influential to in game results. Eg. many coaches could have won with the Shaq/kobe lakers or with MJ.

I would take duncan over lebron though.

The only sports where coaching/managing has a huge effect is baseball and football. (by that I mean argubly as important as the quality of the players. In every other sport I can think of the quality/talent of the players is much more important than the quality of the coaching)

Eg. I think Byron scott is a great coach, he is not going to finish with a good record.

Eg. First year coach Steve Kerr will finish with an awesome record because of the talent of his team.

Kyle_korver
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
whos buying tickets to go see pop ?:confusedshrug:

Bandito
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
The one that has more championships on his belt.

BuffaloBill
12-06-2014, 02:28 PM
It depends, am I trying to win in the finals, or bring in dick riding fans?

Very important question.

Relinquish
12-06-2014, 02:37 PM
It depends, am I trying to have my franchise play basketball or have them be professional bench warmers?

DamnMixes
12-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Is that a trick question?

Star power wins you championships

Even Pop has all time great players to make it happen, Tim Duncan is STILL effective, and the rest of the guys doing their job with another future superstar in the making Kawhi. The coach is clearly the best and top 3 all time. But no coach is gonna lead the team to the promised land with no names.

When you start a team and magically get LeBron, there are very high chances it will attract another big time free agent, it is proven that guys want to play with him.

WIth Pops you will need years to see what he can do with the no name team. Ever since he came to the league the spurs drafted Tim Duncan and had Admiral to start coaching career, that's big.

For example when lakers had scrubs + kobe and zen master phil jackson I didn't see players jumping from their teams ship to LA's http://i59.tinypic.com/2qcgm80.jpg till that gasol trade.

Milbuck
12-06-2014, 02:42 PM
It depends, do I want Pop or Lebron to start my franchise?

KobesFinger
12-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Easier to find 3 and D players, a secondary ball handler and a rebounding defensive big than it is to find players smart and unselfish enough to play in Pop's system IMO

G0ATbe
12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Popovich makes scrubs look like hall of famers with his system. LeBald makes hall of famers look like scrubs with his system. Pop without question.

Lebronxrings
12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
its tough really to gauge. The spurs have won 5 titles all thanks to pop the genius who was able to maneuver against obstacles despite how terrible his team was. He created the player known as duncan who we respect. lebron on the other hand has carried his team numerous times, giving them 5 finals and 2 rings. Time can only tell since lebron is only now just entering his prime, so has chances for many more titles.

T_L_P
12-06-2014, 03:54 PM
LeBron. Same with Duncan. Same with the vast majority of the top 25-35 players ever.

And that goes for every coach.

Cold soul
12-06-2014, 04:32 PM
LeBron. Same with Duncan. Same with the vast majority of the top 25-35 players ever.

And that goes for every coach.

This ^^^. I'm not sure why you would pick a coach over any all-time great ranked in top 40 or so...

FatComputerNerd
12-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Coach impact is overrated IMO.

Sure it's nice to have a smart coach who knows when to call a time-out or make substitutions, but ultimately it comes down to the players on the court, and their B-Ball smarts.

Kvnzhangyay
12-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Anyone in the top 10-15 GOAT is a no-brainer for me over any coach

Coaches are overrated, not to mention the MASSIVE recruiting powers that players can possess

Nikola_
12-06-2014, 04:40 PM
5/6 >>> 2/5

2 > 1

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2014, 04:43 PM
This ^^^. I'm not sure why you would pick a coach over an all-time great ranked in top 40 or so...

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Llama+disapproves+i+was+once+a+treehouse+i+lived+i n_115687_3291678.gif

GrapeApe
12-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Pop is starting to become SERIOUSLY overrated. He's a great coach, one of the best ever, but c'mon. A coach can only do so much. They can put players in a great position to succeed, but ultimately it comes down to the players to perform. No level of coaching can ever replace the talent of a LeBron, Duncan, etc. It's no coincidence that every all time great coach had all time great players.

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2014, 04:55 PM
5/6 >>> 2/5

2 > 1

Horry 7/7 >>> Pop 5/6

J Shuttlesworth
12-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Easier to find 3 and D players, a secondary ball handler and a rebounding defensive big than it is to find players smart and unselfish enough to play in Pop's system IMO
Agreed. Pop will have to develop the culture of the franchise over the years too. As great as Pop is, he can't turn a team into an unselfish, smart unit overnight.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
LeBron. Not even a question. Part of the reason the Spurs play so well is continuity...having Pop come in with a brand new roster isn't gonna yield the same results. Player > Coach.

Yankstar
12-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Lebron, but I would pick Duncan/Jordon/Dirk/KG over Lebron for loyalty reasons.

Anaximandro1
12-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Tim Duncan

Pop's record without Duncan

Regular Season -> (70 - 88) Pct .443

Playoffs -> (1 - 4) Pct .200

[QUOTE=Steve Kerr]

The NBA coaching carousel can be unfair. So many guys lose their jobs before we know how good they can become. For Pop to overcome that early stuff and win a title allowed him the chance to blossom. It allowed Pop to be himself, and not worry about anything else.

rmt
12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Pop has always credited San Antonio's success with drafting DRob and Duncan. He says simply that they haven't messed it up (although the Richard Jefferson, Bonner and Blair years were hard for me to stomach). Talented players are the foundation - good coaches just get the most out of whatever talent they have.

Lebron is the answer to this question.