PDA

View Full Version : Last 5 games for MCW: 19.6 / 12.2 assists and 9.0 reb.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 09:56 AM
One Philly article said that not since Magic's 5 game stretch in 1991 has anyone done such a level of near triple doubles. I'm not sure if this is or isn't accurate.

More importantly, Philly has been propelled by Carter Williams to a nice stretch of winning 2 of 3 games. This is all without the services of Tony Wrotten. Can the two co-exist?

Yes, Philly will continue to lose many more games, but slowly, I predict that by year end, the core of MCW, Noel, KJ Mcdaniels(surprise RoY candidate) will show us that they are filled with promise.

Another top draft pick in the 2015 off season, and then perhaps the best player in the loaded 2014 Draft class will join us in summer league, Joel Embiid.

:applause:

Wavves
12-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Is he still shooting something like 36% from the field?

Random_Guy
12-09-2014, 10:12 AM
dont know too lazy to check but 12assists/9rebounds is impressive as hell:applause:

Collie
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM

He's shooting 43%. Still pretty bad, but not Rubio-tier.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Overall, on the year, he is still shooting 38%, and herein lies Philly's problem. Can you win at the highest level with a PG who shoots like that? He can finish in the paint with above average athleticism, but wide open 3s are a problem.

I don't know what his shooting is over the last 5 games though. Let me check and possibly get back to you on that.

Random_Guy
12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
He's shooting 43%. Still pretty bad, but not Rubio-tier.
comon 43% is decent, at least it doesnt warrant a rubio comparison

Lebron23
12-09-2014, 10:21 AM
solid numbers.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 10:24 AM
comon 43% is decent, at least it doesnt warrant a rubio comparison

It's 38% though, but you can't compare him to Rubio since Ricky can't finish in the paint and is not very athletic.

HomieWeMajor
12-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Light skin statpadder

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Light skin statpadder

Yes, I know the "empty stats" argument and I myself have been a proponent of this, but in our case, give the kids a break. We're looking to develop these young guys. Imagine MCW playing with Embiid, a more mature Noel, and some real shooters? How many more assists would he average then if he can average 12 apg on a team filled with D-leaguers?

Also, MCW's poorer play early on had a lot to do with missing time from the shoulder surgery he got during the off season. When he returned, he played alongside Wrotten which was a major adjustment for him playing with a not bashful scorer in Tony.

Here's a report about the two and some highlights from MCW below:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/can-michael-carter-williams-mcw-maintain-high-level-tony-wroten-set-return-sixers

Pointguard
12-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Overall, on the year, he is still shooting 38%, and herein lies Philly's problem. Can you win at the highest level with a PG who shoots like that? He can finish in the paint with above average athleticism, but wide open 3s are a problem.

I don't know what his shooting is over the last 5 games though. Let me check and possibly get back to you on that.

You can't be too hard on him there. His coach was trying to lose and encouraged bad shooting. :lol

Pointguard
12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes, I know the "empty stats" argument and I myself have been a proponent of this, but in our case, give the kids a break. We're looking to develop these young guys. Imagine MCW playing with Embiid, a more mature Noel, and some real shooters? How many more assists would he average then if he can average 12 apg on a team filled with D-leaguers?

Also, MCW's poorer play early on had a lot to do with missing time from the shoulder surgery he got during the off season. When he returned, he played alongside Wrotten which was a major adjustment for him playing with a not bashful scorer in Tony.

Here's a report about the two and some highlight from MCW below:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/can-michael-carter-williams-mcw-maintain-high-level-tony-wroten-set-return-sixers

Plus he turned his team around with his play. That's never empty.

ProfessorMurder
12-09-2014, 10:42 AM
MCW is a straight up baller. Too bad people won't care for like 3-5 more years.

sixerfan82
12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
MCW is the real deal. You don't put up a near quadruple double on your debut without being a stud.

Give him another year or two and he'll be a complete monster. Did we mention the guy has not 1, but 2 legit ROY's on the same team?

Noel and Embiid will round this out nicely!

:rockon:

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Plus he turned his team around with his play. That's never empty.

Exactly.

When people use stats as a be all, end all, absolute number and say Player A is a superstar with great stats while playing on a bad team, then yes, the "empty stats" argument can be used.

But when you are using nice and somewhat imposing stats for a poor developing team, then yes , stats can be an indication of a player's talent and skill level. These stats cannot be used to say he will be or is a superstar until his team is a consistent winning team, the objective of the game of basketball.

I don't want to derail my own thread, but case in point: Kevin Love.

Phenith
12-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Exactly.

When people use stats as a be all, end all, absolute number and say Player A is a superstar with great stats while playing on a bad team, then yes, the "empty stats" argument can be used.

But when you are using nice and somewhat imposing stats for a poor developing team, then yes , stats can be an indication of a player's talent and skill level. These stats cannot be used to say he will be or is a superstar until his team is a consistent winning team, the objective of the game of basketball.

I don't want to derail my own thread, but case in point: Kevin Love.

Not sure what you meant by that, but KLove is averaging a double double on decent shooting on a new team. It's pretty clear he is a star when he can still produce playing with LBJ and Irving and they are still learning to play together and trust each other. KLove got a lot of flack for "empty stats" last year, but it's pretty clear he could be a 20/10 guy with solid shooting on a contender, he is just a 2nd option, not a 1st.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Not sure what you meant by that, but KLove is averaging a double double on decent shooting on a new team. It's pretty clear he is a star when he can still produce playing with LBJ and Irving and they are still learning to play together and trust each other. KLove got a lot of flack for "empty stats" last year, but it's pretty clear he could be a 20/10 guy with solid shooting on a contender, he is just a 2nd option, not a 1st.

What I mean is people love to argue stats and treat these stats like be all, end all numbers that are absolute, and pretend these numbers happen independent of team structure, team philosophy, and opportunity.

KLove was producing superstar like numbers with the Wolves. Can you honestly say he is producing superstar numbers this year for a contender? So those excess boards and points with the Wolves could be considered "empty stats".

Klove is showing this season what he truly is: a good PF who can score and rebound very well. Not a superstar. This will remain true until he proves otherwise.

Phenith
12-09-2014, 02:44 PM
What I mean is people love to argue stats and treat these stats like be all, end all numbers that are absolute, and pretend these numbers happen independent of team structure, team philosophy, and opportunity.

KLove was producing superstar like numbers with the Wolves. Can you honestly say he is producing superstar numbers this year for a contender? So those excess boards and points with the Wolves could be considered "empty stats".

Klove is showing this season what he truly is: a good PF who can score and rebound very well. Not a superstar. This will remain true until he proves otherwise.

I didn't say he was a superstar, I recognize he is just a star, I was more backing up that if MCW was on a good team, he could easily be one of the best players on good team if you are comparing him to Love. You don't put up the stats he did as a rookie and what he's doing recently unless you are a really good player, crap team or not. His bad shooting is a combination of needing to improve his jumper and the fact he doesn't have any other scorers around him, and honestly, to avg 7apg with that supporting cast says something in itself. I'm not trying to label him as a superstar, but he could definitely be one of a good teams best players.
Philly has been playing some good ball(considering the roster) over this stretch and it would be totally within reason to suggest that MCW is the biggest reason. Remember, it's just his 2nd season and he missed camp and the first 8 games of the season.
They are still one of the worst teams just based on their roster, but MCW is doing more than his fair share of improving the way they play. Those turnovers need to get under control too, but that again is because teams can just game plan against him due to the lack of other consistent options.

/end rant

Mass Debator
12-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Damn :applause:

bizil
12-09-2014, 04:05 PM
If anything, I've been waiting for a big PG (6'6 and up) to have a long All Star kind of career. The last one to have the kind of career is ACTUALLY Magic. Penny's career was cut short big time so he doesn't count of course. And I don't mean a point forward. I mean a guy whose primary position is PG. And plays with a true SG and SF. That's the setup Philly has. Hopefully MCW pans out long term!

outbreak
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I didn't say he was a superstar, I recognize he is just a star, I was more backing up that if MCW was on a good team, he could easily be one of the best players on good team if you are comparing him to Love. You don't put up the stats he did as a rookie and what he's doing recently unless you are a really good player, crap team or not. His bad shooting is a combination of needing to improve his jumper and the fact he doesn't have any other scorers around him, and honestly, to avg 7apg with that supporting cast says something in itself. I'm not trying to label him as a superstar, but he could definitely be one of a good teams best players.
Philly has been playing some good ball(considering the roster) over this stretch and it would be totally within reason to suggest that MCW is the biggest reason. Remember, it's just his 2nd season and he missed camp and the first 8 games of the season.
They are still one of the worst teams just based on their roster, but MCW is doing more than his fair share of improving the way they play. Those turnovers need to get under control too, but that again is because teams can just game plan against him due to the lack of other consistent options.

/end rant

On a good team he's an above average bench player or a mediocre starter. He has full run of the team it's no wonder he puts up those stats on poor shooting with a bunch of turn overs. He's young and can improve but if you are calling him a star now you are deluded.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
On a good team he's an above average bench player or a mediocre starter. He has full run of the team it's no wonder he puts up those stats on poor shooting with a bunch of turn overs. He's young and can improve but if you are calling him a star now you are deluded.

He's not a star, no, but his intriguing numbers indicate he has a high ceiling and can at least be a star, maybe more. Whats keeping him back right now is consistent shooting.

GOBB
12-09-2014, 11:13 PM
He still shoots like Rondo. Makes some bad decisions (turnovers) and defensively needs to improve. Other than that? I hope he puts up stats to raise his trade value for a potential future trade if the price is right. Not implying trade for trades sake.

Dr.J4ever
12-09-2014, 11:19 PM
He still shoots like Rondo. Makes some bad decisions (turnovers) and defensively needs to improve. Other than that? I hope he puts up stats to raise his trade value for a potential future trade if the price is right. Not implying trade for trades sake.

Really? So you don't think he can be a future piece on a 76er title contending team?

Man, I would think twice about trading a young, tall, triple double machine to any other team. They just don't grow on trees.

Milbuck
12-09-2014, 11:21 PM
I hope he puts up stats to raise his trade value for a potential future trade if the price is right.
Despicable. Just despicable.

GOBB
12-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Really? So you don't think he can be a future piece on a 76er title contending team?

Man, I would think twice about trading a young, tall, triple double machine to any other team. They just don't grow on trees.

I don't know maybe depending what else is on the team. He's accumilating stats no doubt but look at how many minutes he plays. You think if he played 33-34mpg with better talent on the sixers he flirts with triple doubles still? If there is a better option im jumping on it. I wouldn't trade MCW and be left with someone who isn't any better, lacking upside. It would be for someone who I think could be a future all star.

chocolatethunder
12-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't know maybe depending what else is on the team. He's accumilating stats no doubt but look at how many minutes he plays. You think if he played 33-34mpg with better talent on the sixers he flirts with triple doubles still? If there is a better option im jumping on it. I wouldn't trade MCW and be left with someone who isn't any better, lacking upside. It would be for someone who I think could be a future all star.

This is right. There are too many variables in place to get a real idea of what his stats mean. Could he be good with decent players around him? Maybe. Really good PGs can find the open man even if that open man is Randy Bruer. It's hard to say with him right now. He shoots too much and turns the ball over too much. I would like to see him use his athleticism to become a really solid to good defender. His shooting is not good and he needs to take better care of the ball. He is also good for at least two possessions a game where he dribbles down court, looks at no one and then jacks up an awful shot early in the shot clock. He could be good he could be average. It's just so hard to tell.

chocolatethunder
12-10-2014, 02:15 PM

I think you're oversimplifying what's happening with Love. You're taking three guys who are used to having the ball in their hands and putting them on a team together. If they had any PG other than Irving, Love's numbers would look similar to last year's. Obviously, unless you are a run and gun team, you can't take three guys who all got 20 shots a game before they were on the same team and put them on the same team and expect their numbers to be the same. In addition, Love being a PF he needs someone to get him the ball and Irving and James control the ball. James has been good Irving is still learning. So what you're saying about Love just isn't true. That empty stats line is just bullshit. KG had empty stats with the Wolves I assume? Iverson with the Sixers when they were one of the worst teams in the league? AD in New Orleans? Nope. Clevelands biggest problem so far has been the Irving has never really learned how to give the ball up to anyone and needs to learn where James and Love like the ball. Being the only guy on a bad team makes it difficult to score because the opposing defense only has to key on you. AD is surrounded by plenty of talent in NO. If you can't see that Love isn't getting the touches he was getting last year then I don't know what to tell you.

hawksdogsbraves
12-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Here's a report about the two and some highlights from MCW below:

I think MCW is a good young PG, but are you saying you think he could average like 17apg on a better team? Do you think he's the best point guard in history or something?

If anything his stats are likely to go down, playing on a team without much talent and in garbage time a lot like this allows you to really inflate your stats across the board.

GOBB
12-10-2014, 10:12 PM
This is right. There are too many variables in place to get a real idea of what his stats mean. Could he be good with decent players around him? Maybe. Really good PGs can find the open man even if that open man is Randy Bruer. It's hard to say with him right now. He shoots too much and turns the ball over too much. I would like to see him use his athleticism to become a really solid to good defender. His shooting is not good and he needs to take better care of the ball. He is also good for at least two possessions a game where he dribbles down court, looks at no one and then jacks up an awful shot early in the shot clock. He could be good he could be average. It's just so hard to tell.

9 assists but 7 turnovers tonight

kunk75
12-10-2014, 10:16 PM
i'm most impressed that he can produce 9 assists. how the hell can any of the other sixers score 9 times?