PDA

View Full Version : Magic vs Lebron: Position By Position

hateraid
12-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Head to head Magic vs Lebron (probably the 2 most versatile players ever)

Who would win at each position?

My choices:

PG: Magic
SG: Lebron
SF: Lebron
PF: Closest one for me but I'd stay with Lebron
C: Magic

Personal preference, I still say Magic plays the PG better than Lebron plays any position, overall I would go with Magic on my team

RoundMoundOfReb
12-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Overall: LeBron

SG: LeBron
SF: LeBron
PF: LeBron
C: LeBron

riseagainst
12-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Overall: LeBron

C: LeBron

:roll:

gts
12-09-2014, 03:17 PM
so did the first three posts ever actually see magic play during the 80's or?

hateraid
12-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Including myself? Of course!

swagga
12-09-2014, 03:25 PM

My choices:

Personal preference, I still say Magic plays the PG better than Lebron plays any position, overall I would go with Magic on my team

pg : magic >>> lebron
sg: lebron >>> magic
sf: lebron>>> magic
pf magic >>> lebron in the 80s (post game importance, post passing)
magic = lebron now (lebron's floor spacing in todays game)
c magic >>> lebron in the 80s (post game, post passing)
magic > lebron now (lebron's rim protection in todays game)

so it's not that big of a difference: lebron is much better wing but a weaker playmaker. magic has a monster post game but no floor spacing and no rim protection. Each is/was perfectly suited for the basketball style during their playing time.

plowking
12-09-2014, 10:37 PM
So if you have Lebron>Magic for power forward, why do you consider Magic the better center? Because he took the jumpball and played 3 possessions of center in that finals game all those years ago?

So, do you ever not make a stupid post?

Kvnzhangyay
12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
this thread lol

I would say overall Lebron

PG: Magic (duh)
SG: Lebron (scoring abilities, though Magic's scoring is HIGHLY underrated)
SF: Lebron (duh)
PF: Depends on which era PF, Lebron current era, Magic's post up game would be a better PF in his era
C: Same as PF^

Prometheus
12-09-2014, 10:47 PM
I would rather have Bron for any position other than point guard...

but I'd still rather have Magic on my team.

LAZERUSS
12-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Magic could easily have played the SF position in his career, and probably PF, as well.

But, he was THE greatest PG in NBA history.

Kvnzhangyay
12-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Magic could easily have played the SF position in his career, and probably PF, as well.

But, he was THE greatest PG in NBA history.

Hence why their both such versatile players...

T_L_P
12-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Leftimage
12-09-2014, 11:10 PM

My choices:

PG: Magic in part due to the experience gained from playing in that position for his entire basketball career, and the fact he was never expected to be the team's go-to scorer. His amazing vision evolved accordingly.

SG,SF,PF,C: Lebron by a good margin. Not even a fair match-up for Magic who wasn't particularly known for playing multiple positions.

I'm a bit dissapointed by ISH for giving C to Magic. So predictable. So he filled in at the C position and had a great historical playoff game. Who seriously gives a ****? Lebron is a physical specimen and he has defended every center worth defending in today's NBA. Much stronger, faster & higher jumper than Magic (makes up for the inch he lacks in height). Much better suited for the center position than Magic, both in his playing style and body type.

bizil
12-09-2014, 11:27 PM
I would take Magic at PG and Bron at the other positions. Even though Magic had alpha dog level scoring ability, I think Bron is the more explosive and better scorer. BUT Magic is more clutch than Lebron. Bron's defensive versatility is MUCH GREATER than Magic's ever was. Magic's offensive versatility in terms of number of positions than can be played is as good as anybody.

But Magic was a natural PG even though he was 6'9. While Bron is a great passer, he such a freak athlete and great scorer that I want him focusing on scoring more. Even though Bron could EASILY be a great PG. I would rather have Bron getting getting a Bird-type 27 points-8 boards-8 assists from the SF position than 22 points-7 boards-12 dimes like Magic. Can't go wrong either way, but I want Bron focusing on being a dominant scorer AND a dominant all around player in one.

And let's keep this in mind. What if Magic had Dr.J level freak athletic ability back in the day? There's a GREAT CHANCE PG wouldn't have been his primary position. With freaks like that, u want them finishing plays and forcing their will on the defense AS OPPPOSED to setting up guys as the top job description. Bron in many ways is the evolution to Magic because of that freak athletic ability.

Even though Bron is a pass first player, he's not NECESSARILY pass first, pass second, and THEN dominant scoring. That's how Magic thought the game. Always looking to pass first and pass second BUT STILL AN ALPHA DOG! The guys like Magic check down a defense like Peyton Manning does in football. Bron is more like Steve Young or Elway. Great in the pocket, but will ROLL OUT on that ass and scramble.

LAZERUSS
12-09-2014, 11:30 PM
A peak Magic, both in the regular season, and post-season, was a better rebounder than Lebron.

Furthermore, while Lebron was faster and more athletic, a defensive rebound by Magic was usually much more lethal (either he would go coast-to-coast, or start a sure-fire fast break with an outlet.)

hateraid
12-09-2014, 11:41 PM
So if you have Lebron>Magic for power forward, why do you consider Magic the better center? Because he took the jumpball and played 3 possessions of center in that finals game all those years ago?

I feel Magic is better closer to the rim with a better back to the basket game and his aray of sweeping hook shots. Also being the better rebounder within a crowd.
Lebron at PF for being able to step out to 8-10 foot range and play a pick and roll situation like Karl Malone.

So basically
Magic in the low post
Lebron in the high post

C'mon Plow, you got to give me a little more credit than that

Leftimage
12-09-2014, 11:41 PM
A peak Magic, both in the regular season, and post-season, was a better rebounder than Lebron.

Furthermore, while Lebron was faster and more athletic, a defensive rebound by Magic was usually much more lethal (either he would go coast-to-coast, or start a sure-fire fast break with an outlet.)

Lebron's career rebound % is 10.8 vs Magic's 11.1

Add to that the fact that Magic was seldom used to defend the other team's top scorer 1-on-1. A role that obviously reduces one's ability to gather rebounds

Kvnzhangyay
12-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Add to that the fact that Magic was seldom used to defend the other team's top scorer 1-on-1. A role that obviously reduces one's ability to gather rebounds

Not to mention Lebron after a shot often sprints to the other side in hopes of getting an outlet pass for an easy score/dunk

bizil
12-09-2014, 11:48 PM
People gotta realize that back in that era, Magic and Bird were the be all end all for versatile perimeter players. They were the size of PF's but had the skillset of the greatest technicians from the perimeter players. For example, Magic's passing, flashiness, and ball control was on par with Cousy, Pistol Pete, and Earl The Pearl. He evolved the big PG and triple double shit that Big O did. Bird had the scoring skillset and all around game of Jerry West in a 6'9 body. He evolved what a 6'7 SF like Barry did. Bird and Magic were of course triple double threats. The only drawbacks were great and effective defensive versatility.

Bron is THE GUY who added the freak athletic ability and defensive versatility to the things Magic and Bird pioneered. Bron is the size of PF but added a couple of the missing pieces. So even though Magic and Bird were more crafty and technically sound in areas, Bron's athletic ability and defensive versatility will ALLOW him to adapt in more situations than Magic and Bird. And that's OF COURSE defensively speaking.

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 12:02 AM

First of all, I mentioned PEAK...and Magic was CLEARLY a better rebounder at his peak. Furthermore, that stat has Magic's ENTIRE career, while Lebron is currently in the middle of his. Lebron's rebounding stats will surely decline as each season passes.

pauk
12-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Are we talking about only offense? Then Magic takes the PG spot...... but if we are talking about both ends of the floor/overall Lebron is better at any position.... you can give Magic PG to be kind, but even there actually Lebron is a much better PG defender while holding his very own offensively running PG.

The Red Viper
12-10-2014, 12:10 AM

This for me.

plowking
12-10-2014, 12:12 AM
I feel Magic is better closer to the rim with a better back to the basket game and his aray of sweeping hook shots. Also being the better rebounder within a crowd.
Lebron at PF for being able to step out to 8-10 foot range and play a pick and roll situation like Karl Malone.

So basically
Magic in the low post
Lebron in the high post

C'mon Plow, you got to give me a little more credit than that

They've both played roughly the same amount of games in their careers and average the same amount of rebounds. Rebound % is near identical. Only in the playoffs Bron actually becomes a better rebounder, while Magic doesn't.

Magic may have a smoother post game, but as far as getting it done, since getting to Miami, Bron has proved to have one of the most effective post games ever. Bron turned one of his biggest weaknesses into a strength, much like MJ did with the midrange. His post game truly is one of the most effective and best ever. There aren't 3 players in history better than sealing their man off in the post than Bron.

I don't think it is as clear cut as you make it, since the advantages you state Magic has over Bron aren't really advantages when you look at the stats and story over the years.

plowking
12-10-2014, 12:13 AM
First of all, I mentioned PEAK...and Magic was CLEARLY a better rebounder at his peak. Furthermore, that stat has Magic's ENTIRE career, while Lebron is currently in the middle of his. Lebron's rebounding stats will surely decline as each season passes.

At the end of the season Lebron will have played more games than Magic has, so it is irrelevant.

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 12:22 AM
At the end of the season Lebron will have played more games than Magic has, so it is irrelevant.

And his TRB% will likely come down.

This season it is already dropping like a lead balloon.

And again, a PEAK Magic was a better rebounder in BOTH the regular and post-seasons...and ESPECIALLY the post-season.

Furthermore, Magic on the defensive glass was much more lethal than Lebron.

The Red Viper
12-10-2014, 12:30 AM

And again, a PEAK Magic was a better rebounder in BOTH the regular and post-seasons...and ESPECIALLY the post-season.

If LeBron wanted to get rebounds, he could easily rake up eight to nine a season consistently. But he ends up being the team's premier perimeter defender most of the times, due to which he doesn't get near the glass defensively as much to rake up the rebounds.

I do agree with you that his rebounding numbers will drop now, especially since he has TT, Love and Varejao playing alongside him to win the rebounds but if it came down to one play, with LeBron's athleticism and leap, he has a slight edge at winning the rebound than Magic who would solely depend on his positioning.

plowking
12-10-2014, 12:33 AM

Bron is a better rebounder in the post season. Bron has grabbed 224 rebounds in his peak season. Johnson has never grabbed more than 168. Bron has grabbed over 170 twice.

So Magic on the defensive glass was more lethal, yet Lebron at his peak was a better defensive rebounder, and consistently leads the league in fastbreak points. Your argument is losing traction, and I'm using your own logic against you.

Magic wasn't a better rebounder than Bron by much, if at all. He may have grabbed more rebounds earlier on playing in the Showtime up and down game, but rebound percentages, averages and totals show the story over time.

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Bron is a better rebounder in the post season. Bron has grabbed 224 rebounds in his peak season. Johnson has never grabbed more than 168. Bron has grabbed over 170 twice.

So Magic on the defensive glass was more lethal, yet Lebron at his peak was a better defensive rebounder, and consistently leads the league in fastbreak points. Your argument is losing traction, and I'm using your own logic against you.

Magic wasn't a better rebounder than Bron by much, if at all. He may have grabbed more rebounds earlier on playing in the Showtime up and down game, but rebound percentages, averages and totals show the story over time.

It was YOU who brought up TRB%. Magic's THREE highest post-seasons are better than the best of Lebron's.

And Magic led the greatest fast-break in NBA history. Only Wilt's '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers were on par with the '80-'87 Lakers. Magic FORCED his WILL on opposing teams in that span.

plowking
12-10-2014, 12:44 AM
It was YOU who brought up TRB%. Magic's THREE highest post-seasons are better than the best of Lebron's.

And Magic led the greatest fast-break in NBA history. Only Wilt's '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers were on par with the '80-'87 Lakers. Magic FORCED his WILL on opposing teams in that span.

Heat were a great fastbreak team, and Lebron is one of the best ever.

I'm using all metrics to measure their rebounding. In terms of averages per game, they are equal in RPG in the regular season, and Lebron is comfortably in front in the post season.

In terms of rebound %, Magic is slightly ahead by .3% in the regular season, while Lebron has a massive lead in the playoffs.

Consistency is what greatness is. Clearly Lebron has shown to be a consistently good rebounder in his career, and based on the fact overall his averages are higher given all basketball (playoffs and regular season), as well as percentages, we can conclude Lebron was in fact the better rebounder.

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Heat were a great fastbreak team, and Lebron is one of the best ever.

I'm using all metrics to measure their rebounding. In terms of averages per game, they are equal in RPG in the regular season, and Lebron is comfortably in front in the post season.

In terms of rebound %, Magic is slightly ahead by .3% in the regular season, while Lebron has a massive lead in the playoffs.

Consistency is what greatness is. Clearly Lebron has shown to be a consistently good rebounder in his career, and based on the fact overall his averages are higher given all basketball (playoffs and regular season), as well as percentages, we can conclude Lebron was in fact the better rebounder.

No we can't. A PEAK Magic was CLEARLY the better rebounder. PERIOD.

And the Lakers fast-break of the 80's just blew the league away. Much like Wilt's '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers.

plowking
12-10-2014, 12:53 AM
No we can't. A PEAK Magic was CLEARLY the better rebounder. PERIOD.

And the Lakers fast-break of the 80's just blew the league away. Much like Wilt's '67 Sixers and '72 Lakers.

So over their career you take the guy who had 1 or 2 seasons over the guy that was consistently better over their whole career?

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 12:58 AM
So over their career you take the guy who had 1 or 2 seasons over the guy that was consistently better over their whole career?

I would take the guy who did whatever it took to win. Magic was that guy.

plowking
12-10-2014, 01:00 AM

Straying from the argument. They've both won. Irrelevant.

You lost bro. Go jerk it to your Wilt posters in your bedroom now.

gts
12-10-2014, 01:06 AM

Magic was a killer on the court... stats watchers who never saw him play don't have a clue what magic was about...

With the ball in hand magic could dominate in ways Lebron has never sniffed

That's not taking away from Lebron, he's just not Magic Johnson...

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Magic was a killer on the court... stats watchers who never saw him play don't have a clue what magic was about...

:cheers:

plowking
12-10-2014, 01:14 AM

Great arbitrary post telling us nothing.

jlip
12-10-2014, 01:16 AM
PG:Magic
SG:Lebron
SF:Lebron
PF:Magic
C:Neither

navy
12-10-2014, 01:20 AM
PG:Magic
SG:Lebron
SF:Lebron
PF:Magic
C:Neither
Lebron played power foward a lot from to 2012-2014....

SHAQisGOAT
12-10-2014, 01:25 AM
PF: Magic

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Great arbitrary post telling us nothing.

Magic has a career .740 winning percentage, including a .743 withOUT Kareem. In his 12 prime seasons, he went to NINE Finals, won FIVE rings, and THREE FMVPs (and he should have won another one in '88.)

That tells us ALL we need to know.

stalkerforlife
12-10-2014, 01:28 AM
PG - Magic
SG - Magic
SF- Magic
PF - Magic
C - Magic
Coach - Magic
Talk show host - Magic
Bigger wang - Magic
Better player with HIV - Magic

plowking
12-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Magic has a career .740 winning percentage, including a .743 withOUT Kareem. In his 12 prime seasons, he went to NINE Finals, won FIVE rings, and THREE FMVPs (and he should have won another one in '88.)

That tells us ALL we need to know.

It tells us little to nothing when it comes to discussing the topic at hand in this thread.

And he should have 4 titles, but given how much the refs love LA they gave Kareem a BS call against Detroit that handed them an extra one. Irrelevant to the thread again though.

LAZERUSS
12-10-2014, 01:37 AM
It tells us little to nothing when it comes to discussing the topic at hand in this thread.

And he should have 4 titles, but given how much the refs love LA they gave Kareem a BS call against Detroit that handed them an extra one. Irrelevant to the thread again though.

Anyone can play that "hypothetical game"...

I would argue then, that had he not been injured in the last half of the '81 season, and then his team lost a three game series in the first round, 2-1, that, given the fact that his '80 and '82 teams easily dispatched the Sixers (the same Sixers that Boston came back from a 3-1 deficit with three razor-thin wins in a row to get to the '81 Finals), that he would have won another title in '81.

Furthermore, his team was one bad Worthy pass away from winning the '84 Finals, and carrying even further, had either Worthy, or Magic just made one of their missed FTs in the last few seconds of game four, and they would have SWEPT Boston. BTW, even Bird, himself, acknowledged that fact.

So that is TWO more that he SHOULD have won.

And had Worthy not missed the '83 Finals (and McAdoo been healthy), they might have beaten the Sixers. Yes. Philly swept them, but the last three wins were by narrow margins.

And speaking of the Pistons in '88, how about '89? The Lakers came into the Finals with an 11-0 playoff record. However, they lost Byron Scott and and his 20 ppg in the WCF's. Then, in game two of the Finals, and in a tie game, Magic went down, and was basically done. The Pistons also swept LA, but again, the last three games were by close margins.

Now it is FOUR more rings that COULD have been won, using "what ifs."

Imagine that...Magic won FIVE rings, and SHOULD have won rings in '81 and '84, so that is SEVEN. And had injuries not taken their toll, he could have won as many as NINE.

Magic 32
12-10-2014, 01:45 AM
Why would want a decent army swiss knife when you can have the greatest playmaker and energy creator in basketball history. :confusedshrug:

Kvnzhangyay
12-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Why would want a decent army swiss knife when you can have the greatest playmaker and energy creator in basketball history. :confusedshrug:

Because of defense?

SamuraiSWISH
12-10-2014, 01:54 AM
PG - Magic
SG - LeBron
SF - LeBron
PF - LeBron
C - Magic

With that said, LeBron is the better overall basketball player. Mainly due to volume scoring, and defensive abilities.

Magic however the better floor general, leader, and competitor. Also has a more defined skill set that enhances everyone else on the floor.

LeBron is a swiss army knife, but sometimes it negates other great players. Jack of all trades, master of none.

bizil
12-10-2014, 02:42 AM
Are we talking about only offense? Then Magic takes the PG spot...... but if we are talking about both ends of the floor/overall Lebron is better at any position.... you can give Magic PG to be kind, but even there actually Lebron is a much better PG defender while holding his very own offensively running PG.

I agree! I factor both sides of the court so other than PG (because Magic is so EPIC there and the GOAT PG), I have to go with Bron at all the other spots. What made Magic SPECIAL was his offensive versatility. He was also the size of a PF so size wise u could play him at PF. Bron is special due to versatility on BOTH SIDES of the court. So if we are talking just offense, I can see why u give Magic PG, PF, and C. Because he's a better back the basket player and is a bit taller than Bron. But in the two way sense, Bron is BY FAR the more versatile player. Bron, Pippen, and prime G Hill have the market on lock in terms of two way versatility for perimeter players.

sportjames23
12-10-2014, 02:50 AM
PG = Magic
SG = Magic
SF = Magic
PF = Magic
C = Magic
Head Coach = Magic
GM = Magic
Concession stand guy = Magic

VengefulAngel
12-10-2014, 06:14 AM
PG - Magic
SG - LeBron
SF - LeBron
PF - LeBron
C - Magic

With that said, LeBron is the better overall basketball player. Mainly due to volume scoring, and defensive abilities.

Magic however the better floor general, leader, and competitor. Also has a more defined skill set that enhances everyone else on the floor.

LeBron is a swiss army knife, but sometimes it negates other great players. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Lebron is the greatest perimeter finisher ever.

Angel Face
12-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Choking in the Finals: Lebron

VengefulAngel
12-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Choking in the Finals: Lebron

You know nothing about basketball, Magic had his fair share of choking in the Finals.

sportjames23
12-10-2014, 07:15 AM
You know nothing about basketball, Magic had his fair share of choking in the Finals.

Magic - 5/9

Lebron - 2/5

:confusedshrug:

Magic 32
12-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Magic had his fair share of choking in the Finals.

Other than 84?

KobesFinger
12-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Has LeBron ever played any C? I remember on the Heat it was always Anthony/Birdman/Bosh/Haslem with LeBron at the 3 or 4.

Hey Yo
12-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Except convert a jump shot from the perimeter or a 3pt shot. Magic couldn't do that until much later in his career.