PDA

View Full Version : ITT we finally settle who the GREATEST perimeter scorer is: kobe vs jordan

mehyaM24
12-14-2014, 09:45 PM
IMO jordan is still better because i value per game statistics, as they don't heavily rely on extenuating circumstances like career totals do. of course - i have also seen LEGIT points where a couple of posters argued that kareem is a better scorer than jordan BECAUSE of his longevity (that he was an ELITE scorer for a longer period of time).

lets settle this once and for all ISH - who is the better scorer between jordan and kobe? :confusedshrug:

JohnFreeman
12-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Jordan is better at everything, apart from maybe three shooting

mehyaM24
12-14-2014, 09:55 PM
i agree with this - kobe might be a better streak scorer though. when he gets "hot", i think he is more versatile a scorer because of his 3pt point shooting.

dubeta
12-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Jordan - 30.1 ppg on 50% fg

LeBron - 27.5 ppg on 50%fg

Kobe - 25.5 ppg on 45% fg

The answer is obvious

jstern
12-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Kobe is the better scorer, and Carl Malone is better than both of them obviously.

Smook A.
12-14-2014, 10:04 PM
lets settle this once and for all ISH - who is the better scorer between jordan and kobe?
I got a ton of respect for both guys, but Michael Jordan is obviously the better scorer between the two. It took MJ 15 seasons to get to 32,292 points. Kobe is in his 18th season, but it really took him 17 seasons (Not counting last year because he only played 6 games) to pass Mike. Also, Jordan's career average is 30 ppg. Kobe's is about 26. Not to mention, MJ's career FG% is about 5% higher too. Michael Jordan takes the cake as the better scorer.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-15-2014, 12:55 AM
I got a ton of respect for both guys, but Michael Jordan is obviously the better scorer between the two. It took MJ 15 seasons to get to 32,292 points. Kobe is in his 18th season, but it really took him 17 seasons (Not counting last year because he only played 6 games) to pass Mike. Also, Jordan's career average is 30 ppg. Kobe's is about 26. Not to mention, MJ's career FG% is about 5% higher too. Michael Jordan takes the cake as the better scorer.

More like Michael played 13.5 seasons. Only played 18 games in 85/86 and 17 games in 94-95.

red1
12-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Kobe is the better scorer, and Carl Malone is better than both of them obviously.
carlos molina is not a perimeter player doe

Cold soul
12-15-2014, 01:07 AM

Not really Kobe the better ball handler, fundamentals, mid range jumper, footwork, 3 point shooting, post game, I think Kobe about even offensively to MJ. MJ the much better player overall especially on defense along with his speed, quickness, strength, vert, freakish athleticism give him the edge on top of leadership more clutch.

Cold soul
12-15-2014, 01:08 AM
The huge gap between the two is defense not offense.

jstern
12-15-2014, 01:18 AM
carlos molina is not a perimeter player doe
I can't believe I wrote his name with a C.

Paul George 24
12-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Not really Kobe the better ball handler, fundamentals, mid range jumper, footwork, 3 point shooting, post game, I think Kobe about even offensively to MJ. MJ the much better player overall especially on defense along with his speed, quickness, strength, vert, freakish athleticism give him the edge on top of leadership more clutch.

kobe shooting lower fg% than mj :rockon:

Top Gun
12-15-2014, 10:55 AM
MJ has the edge for me but Kobe has closed the gap considerably imo.

Phantom84
12-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Not sure why this is even a debate.

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/paine-datalab-kobevsmj.png

dh144498
12-15-2014, 10:58 AM
in terms of pure scoring/ability to score, the gap is closer than alot of people think. I'll still take MJ but it's extremely close and you can't go wrong with Kobe either.

SpanishACB
12-15-2014, 11:04 AM
well, if this was an actual shooting competition, you know, shooting proyectiles, mostly weapons, hitting tragets, whatever. Kobe would be awful.

Because in most accuracy competitions you don't get infinite attempts. You get the same attempts as everyoneelse.

that's why I always die a bit inside when people say Kobe is a great shooter/scorer, I'm used to those terms in a different context where accuracy is more important than volume.

comerb
12-15-2014, 03:13 PM
in terms of pure scoring/ability to score, the gap is closer than alot of people think. I'll still take MJ but it's extremely close and you can't go wrong with Kobe either.

No it's not.

Dragonyeuw
12-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Not really

1) Kobe the better ball handler,

2) fundamentals,

3)mid range jumper,

4)footwork

5) 3 point shooting

6) post game

1) Kobe has more fluid, and-1 style dribbling, if you want to use the term more modernized handles thats a fair point. MJ turned the ball over less, which I would think factors into 'ball-handling'

2) thats a rather vague statement. Fundamentals in what sense? MJ has a better overall IQ, took smarter shots, and eventually learned how to balance individual dominance with teamplay, something that Kobe struggled with his entire career.

3) there was a thread on here recently which compared midrange shooting stats, which would debunk that statement. kobe is the more prolific shooter 20 feet out.

4) arguable. If its edge to Kobe its very slight, and only because he had to employ different tricks to create shots that MJ didnt need, due to superior first step and physical gifts.

5) yeah, thats the most obvious edge for Kobe

6) I'd give the edge to MJ. Kobe may employ a few added wrinkles to what MJ did, but his fadeaway off either shoulder wasn't nearly as automatic. 2nd 3 peat MJ pretty much lived in the post.

Round Mound
12-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Not sure why this is even a debate.

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/paine-datalab-kobevsmj.png

This!

And How About Jerry West? He Played in Faster Paced Era and Still Has a Higher FG% and PPG Average Than Kobe. West Has a Case Too. Infact, Also Big 0 (Despite The Fact That Big 0 Probably Was a Better Far Range Shooter than Kobe but His Inside The Mid Range and Post Game Was More Prolific).

K Xerxes
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
There is no discussion. Just compare playoff scoring:

Jordan - 5987 points in 179 games (33.4ppg on 49%)
Kobe - 5640 points in 220 games (25.6ppg on 45%)

Basically 8ppg and 4% shooting better. Just think about that. That's equivalent to the difference Kobe's output and someone with 17.8ppg on 41%. No amount of bullshit reasons can make up for a difference.

Prometheus
12-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Basically 8ppg and 4% shooting better. Just think about that. That's equivalent to the difference Kobe's output and someone with 17.8ppg on 41%. No amount of bullshit reasons can make up for a difference.

This.

Sometimes it seems people see 25+ points and kind of disregard the difference after that. Jordan was simply a much more dominant and consistent scorer. Jordan's unprecedented success at scoring in the playoffs sets him apart from every other player ever.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Not only is Jordan a better perimeter scorer than Kobe, but so are LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Although, overall prime for prime I'd take Kobe over Durant barely.

sekachu
12-16-2014, 12:17 AM

Not sure if you ever watched MJ. MJ is more effective in fundamentals, mid range, footwork and post game than kobe.

SamuraiSWISH
12-16-2014, 01:21 AM
The huge gap between the two is defense not offense.
Stop it. You didn't even watch Jordan, bro. You're too young. It's obvious when you talk about the two.

Skills wise, it is virtually a wash. And that's considering how much stock Kobe fans put in minute difference in ball handling, and Kobe's superior range on his long ball.

Kobe is a slightly better ball handler, more Iverson era type handle than truly being better. Jordan still got wherever he wanted on the floor, and could cross people up. And Kobe has more range on his 3 ball. THATS IT !!!

Footwork, savy? Equal. Kobe copied Jordan's repertoire. Identical facsimile. Maybe a few added wrinkles here and there because he lacked the athletic gifts to get greater separation from defenders.

MJ is better in near every single other offensive category. Particularly bball IQ, shot selection, off the ball game, slashing, catch and shoot, and off the dribble first step or penetration. He's also a much stronger finisher consistently at the rim. Just a stronger, quicker, better leaper ... better athlete in general. Which when using the same moves allowed him much greater separation.

This made Kobe a slightly better more difficult shot maker out of necessity, but it's also why he's definitely less efficient.

Jordan dominated on offense more frequently within the context of the team game, and didn't pound the ball, or take away from other's ability to get involved the way Kobe does. It was more effortless for him. Thus, being a better scorer.

Scoring wise there is a 5 ppg career difference. That's significant. You wouldn't call someone who averages 20 ppg for their career on the same level as Kobe, who averages 25 ppg, would you?

In the playoffs, where it matters and defense is even better ... the difference between the two is even more significant.

Defensive wise it's Jordan. Kobe doesn't even come close in this regards. In terms of peak defensive ability, consistency, and longevity as a great defender. Mike was a better defender on the ball, off the ball, and rotation defender. Better shot blocker, and pick pocket thief.

Cold soul
12-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Stop it. You didn't even watch Jordan, bro. You're too young. It's obvious when you talk about the two.

Skills wise, it is virtually a wash. And that's considering how much stock Kobe fans put in minute difference in ball handling, and Kobe's superior range on his long ball.

Kobe is a slightly better ball handler, more Iverson era type handle than truly being better. Jordan still got wherever he wanted on the floor, and could cross people up. And Kobe has more range on his 3 ball. THATS IT !!!

Footwork, savy? Equal. Kobe copied Jordan's repertoire. Identical facsimile. Maybe a few added wrinkles here and there because he lacked the athletic gifts to get greater separation from defenders.

MJ is better in near every single other offensive category. Particularly bball IQ, shot selection, off the ball game, slashing, catch and shoot, and off the dribble first step or penetration. He's also a much stronger finisher consistently at the rim. Just a stronger, quicker, better leaper ... better athlete in general. Which when using the same moves allowed him much greater separation.

This made Kobe a slightly better more difficult shot maker out of necessity, but it's also why he's definitely less efficient.

Jordan dominated on offense more frequently within the context of the team game, and didn't pound the ball, or take away from other's ability to get involved the way Kobe does. It was more effortless for him. Thus, being a better scorer.

Scoring wise there is a 5 ppg career difference. That's significant. You wouldn't call someone who averages 20 ppg for their career on the same level as Kobe, who averages 25 ppg, would you?

In the playoffs, where it matters and defense is even better ... the difference between the two is even more significant.

Defensive wise it's Jordan. Kobe doesn't even come close in this regards. In terms of peak defensive ability, consistency, and longevity as a great defender. Mike was a better defender on the ball, off the ball, and rotation defender. Better shot blocker, and pick pocket thief.

I watched MJ from about 1995 I was super young at the time. I have watched hundreds of young MJ games not just highlights but full game footage. BTW did you read my post above? I already said MJ was much greater defensive player along with leadership and much more reliable in the clutch. MJ was greater slasher getting to rim was much easier for him due to his natural physical gifts nobody saying Kobe is better than MJ or as good, but offensively the two were very close. Yes, MJ was more efficient scorer that took smarter shots, but when Kobe gets on fire from the perimeter he is totally unstoppable nothing can stop him from 40-60 point games were easy for him during his peak/prime. I always said if Kobe could unlock that ability any time he wanted he could of been the GOAT, he can make any shot on the floor regardless if he is double or triple teamed. I mean 4 straight 50 point games, 9 straight 40 point games, average of 40 points a game for 4 months is insane, 62 in three quarters against 2006 Mavs out scoring the opponent single handley. MJ higher IQ, decision making, intangibles, etc. I believe MJ is not only is greatest basketball player ever but greatest sports athlete ever true icon of history that will be remembered for hundreds of years for future generations. I just think on offensive only the two were closer than most people will admit this is just my opinion of course.

Cold soul
12-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Kobe career 25.4 scoring average is misleading without Shaq it's 28-29 I believe I might be wrong though. Kobe was never the franchise guy to start his career like MJ and Lebron were they both had way higher exceptions being #1 and 3rd pick in the draft. Kobe was bench player for several years, 6th man off the bench, and was great 2nd option to Shaq his career numbers today could of been way better but less championship success.

SamuraiSWISH
12-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Kobe career 25.4 scoring average is misleading without Shaq it's 28-29
Kobe CHOSE to come in early. The same way MJ CHOSE to play baseball the last 2 years of his physical prime. It's also why Kobe got a head start adapting to the NBA, and gave him a boost in career total points. 3 years of NBA v.s. 3 years of NCAA. Without Shaq, Kobe doesn't have 5 rings either. More like 2. A long shot being 3. And the ring count are what legitimize his all-time greatness. Not the 28 ppg average.

So I wouldn't suggest spinning that yarn.

Sidenote, if we do the same thing you just did for Kobe and exclude MJ's seasons in '86 on minute restrictions, which Jordan had no control of ... and his seasons as a 39, and 40 year old for Washington?

MJ is a career regular season 32 ppg to Kobe's 28 ppg. The difference is the same. 4 ppg is significant.

MJ's playoff career average is 33 ppg to Kobe's 25 ppg. Just let that sink in for a second. That's the most meaningful basketball you can play in the universe, and an 8 point career difference.

They're close superficially. Kobe's 50 and 60 point games, Mavericks excluded, all came by BULLYING absolute terrible basketball teams in the regular season ... coincidentally during a regular season that saw a dramatic spike and career years for multiple perimeter scorers due to rule changes meant to facilitate more scoring for smaller players.

In 2006 Iverson dropped 33 ppg, and LeBron put up 32 ppg.

Kobe is at times kind of an allusion. A great scorer? Absolutely. Great player? Obviously.

But Jordan? His 50 and 60 point games generally came as a means to demolish or prove himself against good competition. Just look at the comparison of the records of the opponents both guys torched. MJ did it against better basketball teams in his yearly context.

Kobe has just one 50 point playoff game. Jordan has 8 ... in the playoffs it isn't taking advantage of bad teams. That's a more competitive environment where every play means something for your team. It's necessity. Not facade of dominance.

All this leads itself to the conclusion that the best part of Kobe's game, scoring, while visually comparable, and a great scorer in his own right. Still isn't really as close to Jordan as you're making it out to be.

And yes, as a winner, leader, competitor, and defender MJ is better as well.

That's the difference between

15 seasons (missed 2 years of his prime)
30 ppg 6 rpg 5 apg 2 spg
5x MVPs, 6x Rings, 6x Finals MVPs, and DPOY
10x Scoring Titles

to

19 seasons
25 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg
MVP, 5x Rings, 2x Finals MVPs
2x Scoring Titles.

I mean at one point you said Kobe has a better midrange jumper than Jordan? LMAO off the pure data alone from just '96 - '98 where Mike almost exclusively made his living getting buckets he shot it at a better clip than ANYONE in the game since. Kobe, Dirk, LeBron, Durant, etc. Quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Jordan, IMO. You're a Kobe fan. That's awesome. Just smile at his most recent accomplishment, and know he's in the low top ten of all-time. The only concrete thing Kobe has EVER been better at than Jordan is the long ball. More range. And more willigness to shoot such a dumb shot. MJ scored more ... and did so by connecting on more FGs. At a higher clip.

Cold soul
12-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Kobe CHOSE to come in early. The same way MJ CHOSE to play baseball the last 2 years of his physical prime. It's also why Kobe got a head start adapting to the NBA, and gave him a boost in career total points. 3 years of NBA v.s. 3 years of NCAA. Without Shaq, Kobe doesn't have 5 rings either. More like 2. A long shot being 3. And the ring count are what legitimize his all-time greatness. Not the 28 ppg average.

Sidenote, if we do the same thing you just did for Kobe and exclude MJ's seasons in '86 on minute restrictions, which Jordan had no control of ... and his seasons as a 39, and 40 year old for Washington?

MJ is a career regular season 32 ppg to Kobe's 28 ppg. The difference is the same. 4 ppg is significant.

MJ's playoff career average is 33 ppg to Kobe's 25 ppg. Just let that sink in for a second. That's the most meaningful basketball you can play in the universe, and an 8 point career difference.

They're close superficially. Kobe's 50 and 60 point games, Mavericks excluded, all came by BULLYING absolute terrible basketball teams in the regular season ... coincidentally during a regular season that saw a dramatic spike and career years for multiple perimeter scorers due to rule changes meant to facilitate more scoring for smaller players.

Kobe is at times kind of an allusion. A great scorer? Absolutely. Great player? Obviously.

But Jordan? His 50 and 60 point games generally came as a means to demolish or prove himself against good competition. Just look at the comparison of the records of the opponents both guys torched. MJ did it against better basketball teams in his yearly context.

Kobe has just one 50 point playoff game. Jordan has 8 ... in the playoffs it isn't taking advantage of bad teams. That's a more competitive environment where every play means something for your team. It's necessity. Not facade of dominance.

All this leads itself to the conclusion that the best part of Kobe's game, scoring, while visually comparable, and a great scorer in his own right. Still isn't really as close to Jordan as you're making it out to be.

30 ppg 6 rpg 5 apg 2 spg
10x Scoring Titles

to

19 seasons
25 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg
2x Scoring Titles.

I mean at one point you said Kobe has a better midrange jumper than Jordan? LMAO off the pure data alone from just '96 - '98 where Mike almost exclusively made his living getting buckets he shot it at a better clip than ANYONE in the game since. Kobe, Dirk, LeBron, Durant, etc. Quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Jordan, IMO. You're a Kobe fan. That's awesome. Just smile at his most recent accomplishment, and know he's in the low top ten of all-time. The only concrete thing Kobe has EVER been better at than Jordan is the long ball. More range. And more willigness to shoot such a dumb shot. MJ scored more ... and did so by connecting on more FGs. At a higher clip.

No I said mid range game was just as good I believe I have heard few former NBA players say Kobe is greatest mid range shooter the league has ever seen. Lol whatever you say man I give MJ shit ton of credit and said he was much better basketball player overall as I have listed the numerous parts of the game he was better at than Kobe, but at least admitting someone might be as good or better in different aspects of the game doesn't mean the individual was better player overall. I know you have serious man crush on MJ. I mean weren't you arguing about MJ dick size at one point in time not too long ago? Anyway I'm huge MJ fan been one for long time don't think for second I never watched his career.

Dragonyeuw
12-16-2014, 07:29 AM
No I said mid range game was just as good I believe I have heard few former NBA players say Kobe is greatest mid range shooter the league has ever seen. Lol whatever you say man I give MJ shit ton of credit and said he was much better basketball player overall as I have listed the numerous parts of the game he was better at than Kobe, but at least admitting someone might be as good or better in different aspects of the game doesn't mean the individual was better player overall. I know you have serious man crush on MJ. I mean weren't you arguing about MJ dick size at one point in time not too long ago? Anyway I'm huge MJ fan been one for long time don't think for second I never watched his career.

Statistically, Mj connected on a much higher % from midrange. So, Kobe being anointed the best is a statement made against all empirical evidence to the contrary.

Dragonyeuw
12-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Kobe career 25.4 scoring average is misleading without Shaq it's 28-29 I believe I might be wrong though. Kobe was never the franchise guy to start his career like MJ and Lebron were they both had way higher exceptions being #1 and 3rd pick in the draft. Kobe was bench player for several years, 6th man off the bench, and was great 2nd option to Shaq his career numbers today could of been way better but less championship success.

And MJ is a career 32 ppg guy if your remove his Wizard years. Fair is fair, yeah?

Anyone who saw Kobe come in at 18 can clearly see he wasn't going to come in as some 20+ ppg impact rookie the way MJ did, or Lebron as a fellow high schooler to nba prospect. He wasn't good enough in 1996.

sbw19
12-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Jordan's the greatest perimeter scorer, Kobe's the most complete.

red1
12-16-2014, 09:36 AM
shit been settled a decade ago

ArbitraryWater
12-16-2014, 12:08 PM

30 ppg 6 rpg 5 apg 2 spg
10x Scoring Titles

to

19 seasons
25 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg
2x Scoring Titles.

That's a pretty long way of saying "I just got owned".

Dragonyeuw
12-16-2014, 12:22 PM

30 ppg 6 rpg 5 apg 2 spg
10x Scoring Titles

to

19 seasons
25 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg
2x Scoring Titles.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SamuraiSWISH again.

Dro
12-16-2014, 02:59 PM
This seriously went 3 pages? I just now looked at it because I assumed it wasn't a serious thread.....

Im so nba'd out
12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Kobe's MVP season ... 28.3 PPG 6.3 RPG 5.4 APG on 46% FG

MJ's Rookie season ... 28.2 PPG 6.5 RPG 5.9 APG on 51% FG

thread/