PDA

View Full Version : Working with juveniles

enayes
12-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Anyone here have any experience working with juveniles? I recently finished up my Master's degree in Special Education but I don't think I want to teach. I have been looking into jobs working with juveniles and it seems like interesting work.

outbreak
12-14-2014, 11:50 PM
I have a friend who works in education with special needs children, seems like a really tough job. Going by his stories I couldn't take it. What kind of work with juveniles do you mean? There's a lot of different jobs working with kids....

BigBoss
12-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Congrats on completing your degree.

Do you have the patience for working with juveniles? A cousin of mines is a counsellor for at risk youth in Long Beach california and he says it really tests his patience at times, but is rewarding. His upbringing was rough though so he was naturally drawn to it

enayes
12-14-2014, 11:58 PM
I have a friend who works in education with special needs children, seems like a really tough job. Going by his stories I couldn't take it. What kind of work with juveniles do you mean? There's a lot of different jobs working with kids....

I currently work with autistic students aged 11-21 who regularly show aggression and I enjoy what I do.

As for juveniles, I've been looking at counselors, parole officers, detention officers, etc. Pretty much anything that an education degree would qualify me for, which seems to depend on the state.

outbreak
12-15-2014, 12:05 AM
I currently work with autistic students aged 11-21 who regularly show aggression and I enjoy what I do.

As for juveniles, I've been looking at counselors, parole officers, detention officers, etc. Pretty much anything that an education degree would qualify me for, which seems to depend on the state.

AH so you mean like juvenile delinquents? My friend works with a lot of autistic kids but mainly younger, I think it's like 5-12 year olds. He's said it's rewarding seeing improvements in some kids but when they get worked up it sounds really depressing and sad.

DeuceWallaces
12-15-2014, 12:09 AM
You can probably steal a little autistic kid's shit pretty easily.

andgar923
12-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Anyone here have any experience working with juveniles? I recently finished up my Master's degree in Special Education but I don't think I want to teach. I have been looking into jobs working with juveniles and it seems like interesting work.

I've done after school mentoring and anti gang shit for years.
Not sure what you want to know.

Bandito
12-15-2014, 12:14 AM
I have work with juveniles and I like it a lot. I used to do some mentoring and help them with their homework. It is one of those experiences were either you like it or you don't.

KNOW1EDGE
12-15-2014, 01:27 AM
I've worked in a couple different group homes. It's fun but takes patience.

With a master's degree you could probably do a lot of different things.

Draz
12-15-2014, 01:42 AM
How much you get paid

Nanners
12-15-2014, 02:24 AM
you gonna teach them how to use stolen credit cards or something?

tomtucker
12-15-2014, 04:17 AM
.....so their small hands can better dive into mailboxes ?