PDA

View Full Version : Which dunk contest was more rigged? 2006 or 2011

Heavincent
12-16-2014, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTZbYHqk4cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFvee4sTgA

Iggy got ROBBED in 06. Nate Robinson only won because he's short...he needed like 25 attempts for each dunk. Meanwhile, pretty much all of Iggy's dunks were spectacular but the judges were giving him scores in the mid 40's just to give Nate a chance.

2011 was pretty shit as well. KIA's advertisement was obviously considered to be more important than the actual contest.

JimmyMcAdocious
12-16-2014, 05:35 PM
The one Blake won was predetermined. It was so obvious once they brought out the KIA. ...Then started showing their KIA commercials during the contest.

I don't think the Nate Robinson win was rigged. It was just a terrible choice. Like choosing Fred Jones over JRich.

r15mohd
12-16-2014, 05:36 PM
2011 by a mile

Rake2204
12-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I think the Iguodala decision was worse. He didn't do himself any favors on his second dunk of the final round (missing numerous times) but at that point, Robinson had already dwarfed him in attempts himself. Still, had Iggy hit his dunks off the bat, I think he'd have walked away with that one. He probably should have won anyway.

Conversely, a lot of people don't want to hear it, but I thought Griffin winning the 2011 Dunk Contest wasn't close to the worst decision I've seen. His first attempt blew everyone away. I honestly believe many thought the dunk he eventually finished was actually the same one (instead he rid of the waist touch). Still, it was an unprecedented dunk in the NBA contest (two-hand pump helicopter off one foot).

His second dunk was the windmill off the side of the backboard, no? After another crazy attempt? I was less impressed with that one, but I still felt he deserved to be in the hunt for the 2nd round.

In all honesty, I thought nearly each competitor had a case to make it to the Finals in '11. Griffin skirted in on a great first dunk (though not legendary like I thought it was about to be) and a solid second dunk. I didn't mind that one bit.

As for the Finals themselves, we can discuss the Kia dunk - and I'd agree there's a lot of criticism to be had there. However, his one-footed, off-the-backboard, honeydip dunk was much better than anything his competitor (JaVale McGee) brought to the table in the final round. If we really broke it down, it looked like this:

Griffin Dunk 1: One-footed honeydip hang off-the-backboard
McGee Dunk 1: Near imitation of Larry Nance reverse flush from '84

Griffin Dunk 2: Two-handed dunk via alley-oop
McGee Dunk 2: One-handed dunk off backboard pass

We can say McGee lost the dunk contest more than Griffin won it, but while the slide into the Finals was debatable (though fully understandable, in my opinion), the right person of the two won in the final showdown.

Random_Guy
12-16-2014, 06:26 PM
lol off topic but I think im probably the only person that wasnt impressed by mcgees two rim dunk. flash but no substance imho, i know how exetremely difficult that is to pull off, and yeah i do think he was robbed, but imo Id much prefer dunks like an old fashioned windmill or a jordan lean in dunk.
aesthetically they were just more pleasing

outbreak
12-16-2014, 06:30 PM
well they had Blake listed as the 2011 Dunk contest winner in flyers before the event even took place...

imdaman99
12-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Nate had a top 5 dunk in that contest, the one he threw down jumping over Spudd Webb. So no, I don't think that one was rigged, he stole the show. 2011 was rigged. How many Kia commercials do we see? They were shoving it down our throats that the NBA Dunk contest winner won, because he endorses a KIA.

sammichoffate
12-16-2014, 07:33 PM
2011, Iggy got robbed like a mofo though. Nate's dunks were shit compared to his