PDA

View Full Version : '08-'10 Celtics vs '12-'14 Spurs in a 7 Game Series?

RagaZ
12-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Who you got?

plowking
12-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Spurs win all the match ups in my opinion.

They were more proficient offensively, and didn't go on barren stretches like the Celtics did, and they were a decent to good defensive team. Never fouled a lot either. There only problem seemed to be against OKC, mainly due to BS calls.

CelticBaller
12-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Celtics in 7 games

it could go either way doe

COnDEMnED
12-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Celtics in 7. That Celtics team collectively have a bruiser mentality. Spurs don't push people around, Celtics do. I think that edge gives them the win.

Droid101
12-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Celts easily. Those Spurs teams were like 2005/2006/2007 Suns Lite. No toughness at all.

RagaZ
12-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Celtics = 79 points in a Game 7.

It's not like that 2010 Lakers were a defensive juggernaut.

CelticBaller
12-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Celtics = 79 points in a Game 7.

It's not like that 2010 Lakers were a defensive juggernaut.
weren't the Lakers a top 5 defensive team tho? The celtics also had a a below average offense iirc

Anyways 09 Celtics with healthy Garnett can sweep the 14 Spurs

plowking
12-16-2014, 11:43 PM
The Spurs during their run in recent years were getting acclaim in the realm of "greatest team ever". People clearly saw the product on the court, and how incredibly well polished the team was.

The Celts never got that kind of praise, and looked far more vulnerable than the Spurs did during their run. The Spurs were the better team in 13 even when they lost the finals. Not a lot of teams can say that.

SamuraiSWISH
12-16-2014, 11:50 PM
The Spurs during their run in recent years were getting acclaim in the realm of "greatest team ever".
:oldlol:

Not from anyone with a brain, or who wasn't prisoner of the moment.

2008 Celtics
2014 Spurs
2010 Celtics
2013 Spurs
2012 Spurs
2009 Celtics

CelticBaller
12-16-2014, 11:57 PM
The Spurs during their run in recent years were getting acclaim in the realm of "greatest team ever". People clearly saw the product on the court, and how incredibly well polished the team was.

The Celts never got that kind of praise, and looked far more vulnerable than the Spurs did during their run. The Spurs were the better team in 13 even when they lost the finals. Not a lot of teams can say that.
I think you are exaggerating a bit, I don't remember anyone outside of ISH calling them that, what I do remember though is the 08 Celtics being hyped as the best defensive team of all time

Droid101
12-17-2014, 12:07 AM
The Spurs during their run in recent years were getting acclaim in the realm of "greatest team ever"
No, they weren't.

plowking
12-17-2014, 12:07 AM
I think you are exaggerating a bit, I don't remember anyone outside of ISH calling them that, what I do remember though is the 08 Celtics being hyped as the best defensive team of all time

There was literally several ESPN segments on it. Especially during a period where they went on a giant 20 something win streak.

Spurs were a better team. They didn't foul a lot, and they were a lot better on offense than the Celtics. They were 3rd in the league defensively as well in their championship season. We saw their defense stifle a Heat team that many people thought would cruise to a championship both seasons.

plowking
12-17-2014, 12:20 AM
No, they weren't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4lq6UymFw
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099252-stats-show-2013-14-san-antonio-spurs-were-the-most-dominant-nba-finals-team-ever

This is the best Spurs championship team that [coach Gregg Popovich] has coached,

-Brent Barry

Funnily enough, played for previous Popovich Spurs championship teams. Also added...

It's not a question. This is as complete a team as there is and has been. They can stack up against champions from any era.

Chris Bosh also added that it was the best team he saw, and played against. That is high praise that players generally do not throw around given the history of the game.

There was just as much talk during the 2012 season, particularly rounding into the playoffs, but I can't be bothered to look it up. I'd say it was more prominent then, than the articles at the time I posted.

So yes, they were.

Droid101
12-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Not even a little. Celtics easily.

plowking
12-17-2014, 12:23 AM
:oldlol:

Not from anyone with a brain, or who wasn't prisoner of the moment.

2008 Celtics
2014 Spurs
2010 Celtics
2013 Spurs
2012 Spurs
2009 Celtics

How is it that none of the other past 15 championship teams received such praise, while it was all happening, outside of the three peat Lakers?

Maybe because it holds true, and they are in fact one of the greatest teams ever.

plowking
12-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Not even a little. Celtics easily.

Yep, they were. Hence there are articles and numerous media outlets, as well as former and current players commenting on it.

Not so much for other recent championship teams.

Legends66NBA7
12-17-2014, 12:54 AM
The Spurs last year were getting "best teams ever" talk or at the very least "best Spurs team ever" talk.

The latter isn't true IMO (would go with the 05 Spurs), but they are still very very good. The 08 Celtics are up there too. It would come down to the Spurs offense vs the Celtics defense. I think Celtics could edge it out, they had enough depth and veteran presence.

Droid101
12-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Yep, they were. Hence there are articles and numerous media outlets, as well as former and current players commenting on it.

So strange. Media is commenting and building up the most recent champion? Totally must be accurate. The media has never built up the most recent champion before, ever. This is the first time this has ever happened.

Joshumitsu
12-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Spurs were blowing out teams in the playoffs last year. Afterwards, many considered them serious contender alongside the other GOAT teams.

08 Celtics come close but they don't have the ball movement/crazy shooting the '14 Spurs have.

09 and 10 Celtics are a joke compared to 08 Celtics. Losing someone like Posey really changed the way the team was structured and thus, how they played. If they kept the team the same, I feel Kobe would have one less ring.

T_L_P
12-17-2014, 05:47 AM
The team that didn't get taken to 7 games by 37 and 45 win teams (who'd be 30 and 39 win teams out West).

dubeta
12-17-2014, 06:03 AM
The team that didn't get taken to 7 games by 37 and 45 win teams (who'd be 30 and 39 win teams out West).

But the Spurs included a core group that lost to an 8th seed in 2011

T_L_P
12-17-2014, 06:09 AM
But the Spurs included a core group that lost to an 8th seed in 2011

Duncan was at the lowest point of his career (then he had a well-documented reassurance).

This was Manu:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Memphis+Grizzles+v+San+Antionio+Spurs+Game+e5Fxt7D 34oGl.jpg

They were the 8th seed and still won more games than the Cavs.

Not to mention the rest of the team got a lot better. :facepalm

Victoire
12-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Spurs, and it is not even close.

Micku
12-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Spurs were blowing out teams in the playoffs last year. Afterwards, many considered them serious contender alongside the other GOAT teams.

08 Celtics come close but they don't have the ball movement/crazy shooting the '14 Spurs have.

09 and 10 Celtics are a joke compared to 08 Celtics. Losing someone like Posey really changed the way the team was structured and thus, how they played. If they kept the team the same, I feel Kobe would have one less ring.

I don't think so. The 09 Celtics suffered back time because of KG injury. If he wasn't injured, then they would've been gone onwards to the Finals and that's when Rondo improved.

The 10 Celts played better teams than the 08 Celts in the playoffs, but the 08 Celts were better in the regular season by far. The 08 Celts went seven games against the Hawks and the Cavs. So, I wouldn't say it's that far ahead.

Ariza4three
12-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Spurs. Not really close either.

ArbitraryWater
12-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Spurs, rather easily.

CelticBaller
12-17-2014, 11:37 AM
But beat the 59 wins piston and beat the 57 win lakers (who 5 game swept the 56 win spurs) in 6 games

Jlamb47
12-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Spurs easily

CelticBaller
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
They were the 8th seed and still won more games than the Cavs.

Not to mention the rest of the team got a lot better. :facepalm
So? in 09 the top seeds in the east all had better records than the top seeds in the west(barring the eventual champions) and the east had a winning % against the west that year.

joe
12-17-2014, 11:47 AM
The Spurs were DEFINITELY getting greatest team ever talk. They were being compared to the 01 Lakers as potentially the best team from this era. That was next level team play and ball movement that we witnessed.

That being said, the 08 Celtics were a really great defensive team. The thing is though, they were partially great because Tom Tibedows defense was confounding the whole league. By the 2014 finals, his defensive principles had become wide spread and were well understood by everyone. There would be no element of surprise.

Of course you still have Garnett to anchor it. Perkins was playing well. But you also have rookie Rondo. A veteran defense like the Spurs would not consistently lose sight of Ray Allen, who was actually pretty terrible the entire 2008 playoff run (though he came alive in the finals). And you have Kawhi Leonard to match up with Paul Pierce.

I do think the 2014 Spurs would win. They are too deep, too smart, too well rounded, and then an offensive slaughter house. But dont forget about those 2008 Celtics, because they were one of the best defensive teams from this era.

ArbitraryWater
12-17-2014, 11:49 AM
The Spurs were DEFINITELY getting greatest team ever talk. They were being compared to the 01 Lakers as potentially the best team from this era. That was next level team play and ball movement that we witnessed.

That being said, the 08 Celtics were a really great defensive team. The thing is though, they were partially great because Tom Tibedows defense was confounding the whole league. By the 2014 finals, his defensive principles had become wide spread and were well understood by everyone. There would be no element of surprise.

Of course you still have Garnett to anchor it. Perkins was playing well. But you also have rookie Rondo. A veteran defense like the Spurs would not consistently lose sight of Ray Allen, who was actually pretty terrible the entire 2008 playoff run. And you have Kawhi Leonard to match up with Paul Pierce.

I do think the 2014 Spurs would win. They are too deep, too smart, too well rounded, and then an offensive slaughter house. But dont forget about those 2008 Celtics, because they were one of the best defensive teams from this era.

2014 Spurs =

GOAT Passing Team, GOAT Offensive Team, ATG Defensive Team

http://i.gyazo.com/de4efd9eb5e349877a7d1f5aac3a6acf.png
http://i.gyazo.com/11034f257ac34a3d96d63ff6887377b5.png

CelticBaller
12-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Major disrespect, look at what the 2010 Celtics did with injuries to our big 3, the 09 Celtics were an improved 08 Celtics with Rondo finally making the leap to all star PG

huskerdu
12-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm shocked this is even a discussion. Spurs would beat Celtics in 5 or 6 games. Their ball movement would do a number on Boston and their depth would wear down the Celtics.

Spurs barely had any weaknesses, and had a much tougher playoff schedule than what the Celtics would routinely go through in a terrible Eastern conference.

People really overrate those Celtic teams. The 2008 team was getting pushed by the Hawks for god's sake. The Spurs got pushed to 7 games as well in the first round but at least Dallas was a 50 win team with an elite coach.

Spurs in 5 or 6.