PDA

View Full Version : So far, no good: Worst ROY contest since Mike Miller won the award?

Real Men Wear Green
12-17-2014, 10:48 AM
The leading candidate just got injured.

The top scorer (#1 pick Andrew Wiggins) is at 12.6 ppg with 39% shooting.

The top rebounder (Nerlens Noel, held over from last year's tanking) is getting 6.5 for one of the worst teams in history.

The top passer still hasn't noticed an elephant took a http://emojipedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/160x160x91-pile-of-poo.png.pagespeed.ic.N6iNfrs6Op.jpg in his hair.

3 of the top 7 picks are done for the season and the 6th pick (Marcus Smart) has so far played less than half the games.

Also, fun bit of irony: The EC was ruined by tanking last season in anticipation of one of the best rookie classes in years. Thanks to that although many of last year's tankers made honest effort this season, they suck anyway.

poido123
12-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty underwhelming contest right now.

We could have the winner being a bench player with very ordinary stats.

Right now it is:

Noel
Wiggins
Mirotic

The rest aren't really in the conversation yet.

chocolatethunder
12-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty underwhelming contest right now.

We could have the winner being a bench player with very ordinary stats.

Right now it is:

Noel
Wiggins
Mirotic

The rest aren't really in the conversation yet.
Kj McDaniels is playimy better than anyone on that list. Lockdown D, tied w Noel for the lead in blocks for rookies and has been scoring decently as well.

BigBoss
12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Wiggins will win and the media manufacturing him was the next big thing will continue. #1st pick, ROY, dunk contest next?

FireDavidKahn
12-17-2014, 06:50 PM

The top rebounder (Nerlens Noel, held over from last year's tanking) is getting 6.5 for one of the worst teams in history.

The top passer still hasn't noticed an elephant took a http://emojipedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/160x160x91-pile-of-poo.png.pagespeed.ic.N6iNfrs6Op.jpg in his hair.

3 of the top 7 picks are done for the season and the 6th pick (Marcus Smart) has so far played less than half the games.

Also, fun bit of irony: The EC was ruined by tanking last season in anticipation of one of the best rookie classes in years. Thanks to that although many of last year's tankers made honest effort this season, they suck anyway.
Most of the players drafted this year weren't thought of to have a significant impact this year. Embiid got hurt, randle got hurt, Parker is hurt. This class still has a lot of all-star/superstar potential

Real14
12-17-2014, 06:51 PM
01 Mike Miller definitely worse than 15 wiggins.

Im so nba'd out
12-17-2014, 06:52 PM

wow good joke bro.....NOT

outbreak
12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
I like Payton's hair. I think the draft class will be fine long term but none of the top players have really been immediate high impact guys in all facets of the game. A few have shown good stuff still and should develop in to nice players, quite a few have all star potential down the road as well if they pan out.

LAZERUSS
12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
I found it fascinating that so many thought this past year's draft was going to be epic. Teams were tanking to get at them.

But, here was the reality. Embiid didn't dominate in college. In fact, when he faced another seven-footer, who was half-blind, in Issac Austin, he was just awful.

And virtually NO ONE knew ANYTHING about Dante Exum...which somehow wound up being a great thing for him. As it has turned out, he can't do anything.

Zach Lavine was mediocre in college, and completely MIA in UCLA's biggest games. And now with injuries wiping out a poor Minnesota back-court, he has been playing 35-40 mpg in his starts, and has been worthless. Even Rubio must look like Chris Paul to Wolves fans, now.

You can go right down the list. There was NO player in college basketball last year that was anything close to great...in COLLEGE. And yet NBA teams were throwing away their seasons to get in line for that class.

I certainly don't blame the players for taking the money. But at some point the NBA is going to have to take a closer look at the "one-and-done" policy, and demand that the majority of players play at least two years. I understand that there will OCCASIONALLY be an AD, or Lebron, or Kobe, but franchises are setting themselves back by drafting on pure potential.

Gone are the days when a player like Elvin Hayes was a KNOWN super-star, and could jump right into the NBA and lead the league in scoring. In fact, the great college players of the late 60's and early 70's almost all became HOFers. EVERYONE KNEW that Lanier, Gilmore, Maravich, Erving, Walton, Hayes, Cowens, and Kareem were going to be GREAT. Hell, Kareem was a top-5 center in the WORLD by the end of his soph season...and everyone knew it.

There were busts, to be sure, but in most cases, it was based on POTENTIAL, and not on REALITY. Perhaps the greatest bust of all-time was LaRue Martin, who was simply a good, but certainly not great, COLLEGE player. His single claim to fame was ONE GAME in which he played Walton to a draw.

Today's college talent is so untested, that you really have NO idea if they are going to be any good. Why? Look no further than CPOY Tyler Hansborough. He played four years, and dominated in college. And yet, he was "only" the 13th player picked in the first round. Why? One of the reasons was the fact that he was either facing a handful of true NBA-quality players in his entire four years, most of whom were "one-and-done", or a TON of 2-4 year players who simply weren't good enough to make an NBA roster. BUT, at least the 2-4 year players were a KNOWN commodity, and very few went on to an NBA career.

As for THIS year...here we go again. For a while there were those claiming that this year's Kentucky team would beat the Sixers. Some have claimed that the Wildcats roster is FILLED with NBA talent. I can almost guarantee you, that in 3-4 years, maybe 2-3 will be playing in the NBA, and likely no more than even ONE will go on to be a GREAT NBA player.

fpliii
12-17-2014, 09:19 PM
LAZ - While I agree with you to some extent, I think a big part of it isn't so much lack of talent, but the fact that the best players are on-and-dones.

3 years of college ball could help even the most talented/dominant high school players. As it stands, most of the top prospects are basically spending their first couple of years getting acquainted with NBA-caliber players (and bodies, playing with men instead of kids, etc.). So instead of being ready to take the league by storm right off the bat, it's been guys in their third years taking that leap, more often than not. It's still 4 years removed from HS though.

Again though, not saying you're wrong, but I think we need to give these kids time before closing the book. It's incredibly difficult to scout, especially since their freshman years in college might be throwaways (MJ was a good freshman for instance, but was one of the top players in the NCAA his second and third years).

KyrieTheFuture
12-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Last year was pretty garbage

Sh0tee
12-17-2014, 09:20 PM
I found it fascinating that so many thought this past year's draft was going to be epic. Teams were tanking to get at them.

But, here was the reality. Embiid didn't dominate in college. In fact, when he faced another seven-footer, who was half-blind, in Issac Austin he was just awful.

And virtually NO ONE knew ANYTHING about Dante Exum...which somehow wound up being a great thing for him. As it has turned out, he can't do anything.

Zach Lavine was mediocre in college, and completely MIA in UCLA's biggest games. And now with injuries wiping out a poor Minnesota back-court, he has been playing 35-40 mpg in his starts, and has been worthless. Even Rubio must look like Chris Paul to Wolves fans, now.

You can go right down the list. There was NO player in college basketball last year that was anything close to great...in COLLEGE. And yet NBA teams were throwing away their seasons to get in line for that class.

I certainly don't blame the players for taking the money. But at some point the NBA is going to have to take a closer look at the "one-and-done" policy, and demand that the majority of players play at least two years. I understand that there will OCCASIONALLY be an AD, or Lebron, or Kobe, but franchises are setting themselves back by drafting on pure potential.

Gone are the days when a player like Elvin Hayes was a KNOWN super-star, and could jump right into the NBA and lead the league in scoring. In fact, the great college players of the late 60's and early 70's almost all became HOFers. EVERYONE KNEW that Lanier, Gilmore, Maravich, Erving, Walton, Hayes, Cowens, and Kareem were going to be GREAT. Hell, Kareem was a top-5 center in the WORLD by the end of his soph season...and everyone knew it.

There were busts, to be sure, but in most cases, it was based on POTENTIAL, and not on REALITY. Perhaps the greatest bust of all-time was LaRue Martin, who was simply a good, but certainly not great, COLLEGE player. His single claim to fame was ONE GAME in which he played Walton to a draw.

Today's college talent is so untested, that you really have NO idea if they are going to be any good. Why? Look no further than CPOY Tyler Hansborough. He played four years, and dominated in college. And yet, he was "only" the 13th player picked in the first round. Why? One of the reasons was the fact that he was either facing a handful of true NBA-quality players in his entire four years, most of whom were "one-and-done", or a TON of 2-4 year players who simply weren't good enough to make an NBA roster. BUT, at least the 2-4 year players were a KNOWN commodity, and very few went on to an NBA career.

As for THIS year...here we go again. For a while there were those claiming that this year's Kentucky team would beat the Sixers. Some have claimed that the Wildcats roster is FILLED with NBA talent. I can almost guarantee you, that in 3-4 years, maybe 2-3 will be playing in the NBA, and likely no more than even ONE will go on to be a GREAT NBA player.

Dam dude I knew you like old men but at least get the name right :biggums:

LAZERUSS
12-17-2014, 09:21 PM
LAZ - While I agree with you to some extent, I think a big part of it isn't so much lack of talent, but the fact that the best players are on-and-dones.

3 years of college ball could help even the most talented/dominant high school players. As it stands, most of the top prospects are basically spending their first couple of years getting acquainted with NBA-caliber players (and bodies, playing with men instead of kids, etc.). So instead of being ready to take the league by storm right off the bat, it's been guys in their third years taking that leap, more often than not. It's still 4 years removed from HS though.

Again though, not saying you're wrong, but I think we need to give these kids time before closing the book. It's incredibly difficult to scout, especially since their freshman years in college might be throwaways (MJ was a good freshman for instance, but was one of the top players in the NCAA his second and third years).

Very true. BUT, if they DID play at least 2-3 years, we would pretty much KNOW what they were going to do in the NBA. Right now, it is a pure crap-shoot.

fpliii
12-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Very true. BUT, if they DID play at least 2-3 years, we would pretty much KNOW what they were going to do in the NBA. Right now, it is a pure crap-shoot.
Agree 100%.

Random_Guy
12-17-2014, 09:24 PM

But, here was the reality. Embiid didn't dominate in college. In fact, when he faced another seven-footer, who was half-blind, in Issac Austin, he was just awful.

you are a biased **** but i do somewhat agree with this post (though it would have been better had you not felt the definite need to display your blatant homerism by talking about old generation players.)
Its true, I do think the players should stay in college longer and develop fundamentals, for some reasons people always say that going to the nba would be better for your game, but in reality except from a few, most play with the same skill they retained in college, and also these days too many drafts are based on potential (basically atheleticism), and thats why there are so many busts because players are too raw.
Still I say give this class time, I do see wiggins panning out and at least become a slightly poor mans version of tmac, his step back will become an awesome weapon.

LAZERUSS
12-17-2014, 09:24 PM
BTW,and just curious...does anyone here honestly believe that Exum will go to have even a good NBA career?

I suspect that he will be out of the league in a couple of years. A FIFTH pick in the FIRST ROUND.

outbreak
12-17-2014, 09:25 PM
BTW,and just curious...does anyone here honestly believe that Exum will go to have even a good NBA career?

I suspect that he will be out of the league in a couple of years. A FIFTH pick in the FIRST ROUND.

I don't think he will be amazing be he should still have a solid career. Smart and Payton look superior though.

fpliii
12-17-2014, 09:26 PM

Not sure. Who do you think the stars will be from the 2013 and 2014 drafts? Won't know for 1 or 2 more years obviously, but wondering who you're projecting at the moment.

Random_Guy
12-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Not sure. Who do you think the stars will be from the 2013 and 2014 drafts? Won't know for 1 or 2 more years obviously, but wondering who you're projecting at the moment.
I think wiggins will definitely pan out and become at least a allstar barring injuries

BuffaloBill
12-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Keep sleeping on Kyle Anderson. He's coming

Ariza4three
12-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Aaron will be back soon. He'll wrap this shit up for y'all. No worries

LAZERUSS
12-17-2014, 09:38 PM

I'll be honest...I never saw AD being this good. So, I'm no more of an "expert" than anyone else.

And as you said, it generally takes at least a couple of years after HS (probably more like 3-4) to really know. I do like Muhammed, who was a very good player at UCLA. McLemore has shown flashes.

I think the jury is still out on Bennett.

And by the same token, I think we have seen enough of Cody Zeller to know that he will be a journeyman, at best. BTW, he and Steven Adams are nowhere near 7-0 (both are 6-10.5...as is Spencer Hawes.)

hawksdogsbraves
12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't think he will be amazing be he should still have a solid career. Smart and Payton look superior though.

I think Payton has looked pretty bad actually.

He looks slow first of all, I don't think he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of most guards. He also can't shoot 3's or FT's, and if you're not Rajon Rondo that simply won't isn't going to work in this league.

Ariza4three
12-17-2014, 09:43 PM

He looks slow first of all, I don't think he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of most guards. He also can't shoot 3's or FT's, and if you're not Rajon Rondo that simply won't isn't going to work in this league.
"Hi. I watched Elfrid against the Hawks where he didn't have a good game. I am now using this game to predict his entire career thus forth."
Eat shit. Keep sucking on Tobias's nuts boy. Don't make me go off on your ass again

outbreak
12-17-2014, 09:48 PM

:biggums:

The guy has looked above average for speed so far. You've probably only watched one game. He needs to learn how to shoot, right now though his offence looks even worse because he hasn't learnt how to finish in the lane yet. His drives are a lot like Oladipo used to do last season which would get blocked a lot but that shouldn't be too hard to change. It's the shooting that could keep him from being really good. If you watch one of his good games he has the ability to take over and change the pace of the team.

fpliii
12-17-2014, 09:49 PM
I'll be honest...I never saw AD being this good. So, I'm no more of an "expert" than anyone else.

And as you said, it generally takes at least a couple of years after HS (probably more like 3-4) to really know. I do like Muhammed, who was a very good player at UCLA. McLemore has shown flashes.

I think the jury is still out on Bennett.

And by the same token, I think we have seen enough of Cody Zeller to know that he will be a journeyman, at best. BTW, he and Steven Adams are nowhere near 7-0 (both are 6-10.5...as is Spencer Hawes.)
How about Len?

hawksdogsbraves
12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
:biggums:

The guy has looked above average for speed so far. You've probably only watched one game. He needs to learn how to shoot, right now though his offence looks even worse because he hasn't learnt how to finish in the lane yet. His drives are a lot like Oladipo used to do last season which would get blocked a lot but that shouldn't be too hard to change. It's the shooting that could keep him from being really good. If you watch one of his good games he has the ability to take over and change the pace of the team.

I think his passing looked pretty good, I can see why people thought he would be a good 'true' PG.

It was just the ease with which our PG's were getting by him, you can't exactly teach lateral quickness.

And yes, he needs to at the very least learn how to shoot FT's :facepalm

LAZERUSS
12-17-2014, 09:55 PM
How about Len?

I will honest...I haven't seen much of him at all.

He played two years of college, and was a good player. But I certainly couldn't tell you.

What do you think?

outbreak
12-17-2014, 09:55 PM
I think his passing looked pretty good, I can see why people thought he would be a good 'true' PG.

It was just the ease with which our PG's were getting by him, you can't exactly teach lateral quickness.

And yes, he needs to at the very least learn how to shoot FT's :facepalm

Why would you make a post saying you think he has been bad when you have only watched one game?

hawksdogsbraves
12-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Why would you make a post saying you think he has been bad when you have only watched one game?

I've seen two full games and bits and pieces of others, it was just something that really stuck out to me. You can rework a shot, you can teach somebody how to run an offense, but you can't really teach someone how to physically stay in front of quicker guards unless they have the athleticism to do it.

I noticed the same thing about Bennett last year, he simply couldn't keep up with Cartier Martin defensively in a game relatively early on in the season and I knew he was really going to struggle.

fpliii
12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
I will honest...I haven't seen much of him at all.

He played two years of college, and was a good player. But I certainly couldn't tell you.

What do you think?
Decent size/length, strength and mobility. Didn't hear anything about him last year, but at the beginning of this season I was hearing good things about him.

Might be moving into the starting lineup permanently soon (started against the Bucks Monday, but fouled out; going to have to become more careful/disciplined if he wants to stay on the floor):

http://arizonasports.com/41/1789999/Phoenix-Suns-GM-excited-to-see-Alex-Lens-continued-improvement

outbreak
12-17-2014, 10:07 PM
I've seen two full games and bits and pieces of others, it was just something that really stuck out to me. You can rework a shot, you can teach somebody how to run an offense, but you can't really teach someone how to physically stay in front of quicker guards unless they have the athleticism to do it.

I noticed the same thing about Bennett last year, he simply couldn't keep up with Cartier Martin defensively in a game relatively early on in the season and I knew he was really going to struggle.

He has played games where he has looked above average on defence though. You can't judge on so small a sample size. He had one game in particular I remember where he had 5 or 6 steals and was guards. He's also had games where he has looked good as a scorer.

hawksdogsbraves
12-17-2014, 10:12 PM
He has played games where he has looked above average on defence though. You can't judge on so small a sample size. He had one game in particular I remember where he had 5 or 6 steals and was guards. He's also had games where he has looked good as a scorer.

Eh yeah, I haven't seen that much of him. Just giving my impressions from what I've seen outside of looking at box scores.

He's certainly much more raw than some people, (Bill Simmons) thought he was coming into the league.

Ariza4three
12-17-2014, 10:13 PM
He's literally 2nd in the league among PGs in DRAPM

SugarHill
12-17-2014, 10:15 PM

It's amusing how you can criticize everything and everyone but find ways to rationalize all the faults of Wilt.

JtotheIzzo
12-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Its no good because Wiggins is going to run away with it.

he is averaging 20ppg in his last 4 games and should continue this way the rest of the year.

He'll be 17-18ppg with a few boards, meager assists and above average defensive stats.

Not bad for a nineteen year old with lots of work to do.

The reality that a lot of people want to ignore is that a lot of teams in this league are veteran or up and coming teams with many stars in some part of their prime.

Its not like when LeBron and Wade came in and chuckasaurus Kobe and fat boy Shaq were the superstars, the league is as talent heavy:

Harden, James, Durant, Westbrook, Kobe, Nowitzki, Randolph, Aldridge, Lillard, Curry, Thompson, Paul, Griffin, Melo, Wade, Davis, Rose, Bosh, Irving, Gasol, Gasol, Lowry, Jefferson, Wall, Conley, Love, Beal, Butler, Gay, Hayward, Millsap, Faried, Williams, Rondo, etc.

as it has ever been and there just isn't as easy for kids to come in and splash right away.

Wiggins' career will follow a similar stat trajectory to Kevin Garnett's as I see their body types and ability to harness their athleticism at a similar stage.

Garnett was skinny, struggled with certain aspects of the game his first two years, but once he started putting things together (footwork, movement etc.) he became a great debate for who was better him or TD, ie he was the best at his position in the league.

Not everyone matures at the same time and not everyone smooths it out at the same time.

Sleeping on Wiggins and making absolutist claims about his career or progress at this point is the epitome of moronic behavior.

The kids are alright.

senelcoolidge
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
wiggins will win it by default. Everyone is hurt. It's not a competitive rookie race this year.

Optimus Prime
12-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Fools were hyping up last year's draft like it was the next 1984 or 2003. :facepalm

Pointguard
12-18-2014, 12:49 PM

He still might be a bust, but in Australia, he was Westbrook in comparison to the competition there. So he went from the outlandish to being a little above average in the athletic department in one year. From being the man with minutes, to being a squeeze me in sub. From getting what he wanted to might be getting minutes. Just too many adjustments for a guy who doesn't even know his body yet. Just too early to tell with him. Once he knows who he is, he's only 19, he will be a very different player.

With Embiid, if healthy he will be an all-time great. The way he knows the game after only playing three years is incredible. His passing is already superb and that takes a giant leap after 5 years of playing - see the Gasol's and Noah. Embiid could be at Noah's level in his second year if he wants to be but will be hyped up for his post skills. It will be interesting on how he is going to be reffed.

livingby3's
12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
free Warren and let him gun for it

Ball So Harden
12-18-2014, 02:08 PM
wow good joke bro.....NOT

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/23/article-2119541-05E6DC090000044D-585_468x286.jpg

outbreak
12-20-2014, 12:47 AM

He sure looked slow tonight. Exum couldn't keep up with him at all when they matched up :applause: