PDA

View Full Version : Why does Jerry Rice get a free pass but Kobe doesn't

Ca$H
12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Both are known for work ethic, longevity, multiple championships, and cumulative accolades/stats. Both are talented but are not transcendent talents. Rice is not a freak like Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson. Kobe is not a freak like Jordan and Bran. Rice had GOAT QBs in Montana and Steve Young. Kobe had one GOAT big man Shaq and a pretty good one Gasol. How come nobody claims Rice was "carried" by Montana and Young while people still claim Kobe was "carried" by Shaq in order to discredit him?

3peated
12-18-2014, 10:25 AM
in football each position has 1 job, sometimes 2 if youre blocking instead of running a route on offense. in basketball youre expected to do it all as a superstar, so its easier to discredit someone.

christian1923
12-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Cause Jerry Rice was better than Joe Montana and Steve Young.

buddha
12-18-2014, 10:29 AM
for some reason people feel like football is a team sport where as basketball is 1v5.

Prometheus
12-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Both are known for work ethic, longevity, multiple championships, and cumulative accolades/stats. Both are talented but are not transcendent talents. Rice is not a freak like Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson. Kobe is not a freak like Jordan and Bran. Rice had GOAT QBs in Montana and Steve Young. Kobe had one GOAT big man Shaq and a pretty good one Gasol. How come nobody claims Rice was "carried" by Montana and Young while people still came Kobe was "carried" by Shaq in order to discredit him?

In football, the presence of a single player has far less impact than in basketball. Regardless of the rest of his team, any squad with peak Shaq on it can win about 30-40 more games than it would without him, and likely be a championship contender. He was that good.

Meanwhile, if there was no defense, no pass blocking, and no quality receivers, Montana wouldn't win SHIT. Football rosters are 4+ times the size of basketball rosters. One player simply doesn't mean nearly as much to a team.

Ca$H
12-18-2014, 10:33 AM
for some reason people feel like football is a team sport where as basketball is 1v5.

idiots feel that way. Look at the spurs. They won it as a team.

La Frescobaldi
12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Both are known for work ethic, longevity, multiple championships, and cumulative accolades/stats. Both are talented but are not transcendent talents. Rice is not a freak like Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson. Kobe is not a freak like Jordan and Bran. Rice had GOAT QBs in Montana and Steve Young. Kobe had one GOAT big man Shaq and a pretty good one Gasol. How come nobody claims Rice was "carried" by Montana and Young while people still claim Kobe was "carried" by Shaq in order to discredit him?

Kobe Bryant #8 was a freak athlete like very very few ever.

edit ~ not disagreeing about the unending trollage tho

Budadiiii
12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Because Durant and Westbrook carry scrubs and the worst coach in the NBA.

They get the praise because they don't even run set plays, Scott Brooks doesn't know what they are so they have to rely on their own instincts and own individual ability to put points on the board.

That's why many consider Durant to be better than anyone in the league because no one in his position could come close to what he does.

Durant can't be GOAT they say and I'm like.... yeah, if they win a ring this year, he already is. Sad reality for his haters.

Prometheus
12-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Because Durant and Westbrook carry scrubs and the worst coach in the NBA.

They get the praise because they don't even run set plays, Scott Brooks doesn't know what they are so they have to rely on their own instincts and own individual ability to put points on the board.

That's why many consider Durant to be better than anyone in the league because no one in his position could come close to what he does.

Durant can't be GOAT they say and I'm like.... yeah, if they win a ring this year, he already is. Sad reality for his haters.

What in the **** does this have to do with the thread?

Budadiiii
12-18-2014, 10:53 AM
What in the **** does this have to do with the thread?
Because he made his case that Kobe is GOAT because of longevity and I made my case Durant is GOAT because of how many games he wins with the circumstances he's forced to deal with. :confusedshrug:

Prometheus
12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Because he made his case that Kobe is GOAT because of longevity and I made my case Durant is GOAT because of how many games he wins with the circumstances he's forced to deal with. :confusedshrug:

:wtf:

No... he didn't make a case for Kobe as GOAT, he's just asking why Rice gets a pass despite playing with Montana/Young while Kobe is criticized for being carried by Shaq.

Seriously, are you on drugs this morning? I hate to keep bothering you but you're making zero sense in multiple threads and it's giving me a headache.

Budadiiii
12-18-2014, 11:05 AM
:wtf:

No... he didn't make a case for Kobe as GOAT, he's just asking why Rice gets a pass despite playing with Montana/Young while Kobe is criticized for being carried by Shaq.

Seriously, are you on drugs this morning? I hate to keep bothering you but you're making zero sense in multiple threads and it's giving me a headache.
Rice = GOAT WR

Cash = Kobe stan

If you can't infer from his post that he is indeed making a case for Kobe being GOAT then you aren't very sharp.

"he's just asking why Rice gets a pass despite playing with Montana/Young while Kobe is criticized for being carried by Shaq."

That's his case. :facepalm

GimmeThat
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
if the question is whether or not you can be carried by someone ranked lower than you on the all time list.

I'm not sure how Rice/Montana are ranked, perspectively since they play different position

but then I also don't know how much football values championships when it comes to a none-QB position.

since their function is quite different.

and

Dennis Johnson

tmacattack33
12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
I've never heard these two being compared.

And as to why people can't say Rice was carried...he did it (had great seasons and success) with three different QB's.