PDA

View Full Version : I had a job interview and they didn't bring up the pay... What should I do if...

russwest0
12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
They call me back soon and tell me that I'm hired and need to come in for the drug test to finalize the process?

I'm sure that the pay for this position is at least 10 an hr which is great but I'm coming from 8 an hr so they could pay me less if they wanted to be douches.

Basically I'm asking, when is it appropriate to ask what the hourly pay is? During a phone call when they offer me the position? Or should I just accept and then go in and ask what the pay is? Because I feel like once you accept the position they can f*ck you into a lower pay.

KevinNYC
12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
They call me back soon and tell me that I'm hired and need to come in for the drug test to finalize the process?

I'm sure that the pay for this position is at least 10 an hr which is great but I'm coming from 8 an hr so they could pay me less if they wanted to be douches.

Basically I'm asking, when is it appropriate to ask what the hourly pay is? During a phone call when they offer me the position? Or should I just accept and then go in and ask what the pay is? Because I feel like once you accept the position they can f*ck you into a lower pay.
Yes, you can ask what the pay is. You can also ask about other work policies like number of hours. You have applied for the job, you have not ACCEPTED the job.

The initial process is they find out if they want to offer you the job. Don't talk about Pay at that point.

Then after they offer you the job, it's perfectly appropriate to find out the full terms of the offer and DECIDE whether you accept the job and the terms. So if there is a chance for negotiation, it's here.

After you accept the job is not the time for negotiation.

At your level you may not have much leverage and may not get them to budge an inch, but at least, you'll have the experience of this type of negotiation. Realize that if you do start to negotiate, they may pull the offer.

You have to ask yourself how much leverage do you think you have and do you really care at this point, since it's better pay and you don't like your previous job. Also ask yourself, would you be able to negotiate without the worst side of you coming out during the pressure of negotiations

russwest0
12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes, you can ask what the pay is.

The initial process is they find out if they want to offer you the job. Don't talk about Pay at that point.

Then after they offer you the job, it's perfectly appropriate to find out the full terms of the offer and DECIDE whether you accept the job and the terms. So if there is a chance for negotiation, it's here.

After you accept the job is not the time for negotiation.

At your level you may not have much leverage and may not get them to budge an inch, but at least, you'll have the experience of this type of negotiation. Realize that if you do start to negotiate, they may pull the offer.

You have to ask yourself how much leverage do you think you have and do you really care at this point, since it's better pay and you don't like your previous job. Also ask yourself, would you be able to negotiate without the worst side of you coming out during the pressure of negotiations

the average pay for this position is 11 an hr and for desired pay I simply put 10 an hr and they expressed interest beyond that point, so I'd assume they wouldn't f*ck me based on the fact that I'm coming from shit pay.

All I'm trying to do is figure out what I'll ask them if they call me and tell me that I got the job.

KevinNYC
do they know your previous pay? That's always a big issue.

Myth
Just be direct.

russwest0
12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
do they know your previous pay? That's always a big issue.

No, but I could lie about it if it affected my current pay. They were interested in me because of my experience at old jobs where I made 11/12 an hr but had to leave because it didn't work with a college schedule.

my current job where I get paid shit wasn't even an interest to them.

I think I want to word my question in a way so that they can't base it off of current pay. Something like "yes I still want this job but just to make sure I can take it I need to know what the pay is for this position?"

stalkerforlife
In our society, people just be glad to get a job.

I know my sorry ass would take what they gave me.

But something tells me the OP is alpha as phuck.

KevinNYC
the average pay for this position is 11 an hr and for desired pay I simply put 10 an hr and they expressed interest beyond that point, so I'd assume they wouldn't f*ck me based on the fact that I'm coming from shit pay.

All I'm trying to do is figure out what I'll ask them if they call me and tell me that I got the job.
The key to negotiations is come to terms that makes both sides happy. Win Win. If one side feels screwed over, you just start on bad terms.

So one strategy you can think about is to say you know the average salary for the position, they will probably say that's for proven workers, so you can accept at $10 an hour, but ask for a review in say six months, so that if you prove yourself, you will get a pay bump at that point.

LJJ
12-18-2014, 02:31 PM
The pay is in your contract. If you haven't signed a contract clearly stating your compensation, you haven't accepted a job yet.

DeuceWallaces
12-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Lol at "the key to negotiations". Dude is applying to the Gap, Wegman's, or some other bullshit. There are no negotiations.

You ask about the pay when they offer you the job. Don't lie, they'll check your reference and find out.

KevinNYC
12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
No, but I could lie about it if it affected my current pay. They were interested in me because of my experience at old jobs where I made 11/12 an hr but had to leave because it didn't work with a college schedule.

my current job where I get paid shit wasn't even an interest to them.

I think I want to word my question in a way so that they can't base it off of current pay. Something like "yes I still want this job but just to make sure I can take it I need to know what the pay is for this position?"

Don't lie. Just don't tell what you make now. It will impress them if you answer this without giving info AND without lying.

If they want an actual figure you can give them a range of options from different previous jobs (This is truthful) and you can say something like, I feel I should be compensated for what a quality worker brings to this job. I feel like I do good work and will provide value to you, so I would like to be fairly compensated as someone who is going to make your job easier.

Emphasize that they are getting something out of the deal even if they give you more.

KevinNYC
12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Lol at "the key to negotiations". Dude is applying to the Gap, Wegman's, or some other bullshit. There are no negotiations.

You ask about the pay when they offer you the job. Don't lie, they'll check your reference and find out.

I know what type of job he is going for, but no time to learn like the present.

Also something like 50 cents an hour more would be a victory.

GimmeThat
12-18-2014, 02:59 PM
after you ask them the term of the contract, you should act extremely grateful on how now those extra money can help you out with your bad habits all while the employer be thinking "hmmm we got another sucker here for cheap labor!"

russwest0
12-18-2014, 03:04 PM

It's a job at a home appliances store where I'd be riding around in a truck and helping a driver unload things into a home, so yeah, probably not much need for a serious negotiation, but I do want to try and ask what the pay will be before accepting, as gracefully as possible, so that I don't get f*cked into lower pay.

Jailblazers7
12-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Pay is typically discussed after the offer. The only time I've discussed pay at an interview is to determine if my expectations fall within the range of salaries that they are willing to offer. It's a waste of time for both parties to discuss pay during the interview process.

KevinNYC
12-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Kevin do you need an apprentice for your lucrative cover shit with sheets business?

Well we always need hangers, but they usually don't stick around long and to be fair, there's not much upward mobility in those positions. But I could use someone to learn how negotiate with fabric vendors and get city permits.

Let me think about that.

Also it took me about two minutes before I realized that by "cover shit with sheets" you meant Site-Specific Textile art. That's mainly because we haven't done anything with sheets since at least two biennials ago.
Yarn was big for a while and the most recent work has been in silk vortices, or creating vast delicate geometric volumes out of knotted thread

russwest0
12-18-2014, 04:16 PM
I know what type of job he is going for, but no time to learn like the present.

Also something like 50 cents an hour more would be a victory.

the thing too is I'd be extremely happy working this job so I'm not going to try to negotiate for more pay than 10/hr when I'm coming from 8/hr

KevinNYC
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
the thing too is I'd be extremely happy working this job so I'm not going to try to negotiate for more pay than 10/hr when I'm coming from 8/hr

So what are you going to do if they offer you $8?

STATUTORY
12-18-2014, 04:26 PM
y even bother work for $8-$10 dollars a hour? just collect dat unemployment/ welfare

outbreak
12-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Every job I've applied for I've had a rough idea of what I'd be getting paid before going for it. Usually you just ask what the details of the contract are though and they will outline it all for you. Considering it isn't really a professional job and is likely a job with high turn over anyway I don't think it matters at all if you just come out and say you were wondering what the pay was, so long as you ask in a polite manner and seem interested in everything else they've said I wouldn't think it would stop them offering you the job.

oarabbus
12-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Pay is typically discussed after the offer. The only time I've discussed pay at an interview is to determine if my expectations fall within the range of salaries that they are willing to offer. It's a waste of time for both parties to discuss pay during the interview process.

This. Until they offer the job there's no need to discuss it.

embersyc
12-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Why would you discuss salary before they even know if they want to hire you?

In the real world salary negotiations typically come after the interview process.