PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to be a good Defender to be a Floor General?

Im so nba'd out
12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Do you have to be a good defender to be a floor general?Some people say a floor general understands every aspect of the game including defense.Example Kyle Lowry would be a floor general to me while Ty Lawson even though he averages more assist would not be.The reason is because i don't see Ty Lawson command the offense and tell everyone where to be.He doesn't change speeds he always plays @ the same pace he doesn't identify mismatches.If Ty Lawson tries to tell Wilson Chandler something on defense he would look @ him like bro stfu talking to me you can't teach me nothing on this end of the floor.

Am i crazy for thinking you have to be a good defender to be a floor general (not elite just good)

SugarHill
12-19-2014, 07:51 PM
:biggums:

Milbuck
12-19-2014, 07:54 PM
:biggums:
Lay off, it's the first serious and sincere post I've think I've ever seen him make :oldlol:

Budadiiii
12-19-2014, 07:55 PM
If so, LeBron isn't a floor general.

iTare
12-19-2014, 07:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/o9Ba9h.jpg

Im so nba'd out
12-19-2014, 07:56 PM
My 1st serious and sincere post in 6 years :applause:

KobesFinger
12-19-2014, 07:56 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/69/dgwn5.jpg

SugarHill
12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/69/dgwn5.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/6/47qh.jpg

Im so nba'd out
12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
I guess im crazy the reaction everyone is having guess you can be a awful defender and be a floor general.

La Frescobaldi
12-19-2014, 08:11 PM
I guess im crazy the reaction everyone is having guess you can be a awful defender and be a floor general.

Let's play Jeopardy!!!!!!!

"I'll take NBA Hoops for $20,000,000 Alex."

"And it's ...... The Daily Double."
{the crowd roars}

"This all-time great was the League's most renowned floor general but always famous as a rusty gate on D."

Answer: {given instantaneously}
"Who is Magic Johnson?"

{crowd goes nuts, forms a mosh pit, destroys studio and crashes into the street chanting "dude got 40 mill for that????? WHERES MY PAYDAY AT!!!"}

Wavves
12-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Defense requires a lot of effort. You don't have to be a very skilled defender, but if you put in effort on that end you can be a respectable defender. We're seeing this with Harden at the moment.

Floor generals generally will provide 100% effort every single time they step onto the court. So to answer your question, no a floor general doesn't necessarily need to be a 'good' defender but their effort makes up for it.

Im so nba'd out
12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Defense requires a lot of effort. You don't have to be a very skilled defender, but if you put in effort on that end you can be a respectable defender. We're seeing this with Harden at the moment.

Floor generals generally will provide 100% effort every single time they step onto the court. So to answer your question, no a floor general doesn't necessarily need to be a 'good' defender but their effort makes up for it.
So Steve Nash is not a floor general by our definition because he didn't put effort in on defense.He was just a Great PG with Elite vision that excelled in P&R

Wavves
12-19-2014, 08:17 PM
So Steve Nash is not a floor general to you because he didn't put effort in on defense?He was just a PG with great vision that excelled in P&R
I'd say he did put effort on defense. He just was a bad defender because of his lack of athleticism.

MP.Trey
12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
So Steve Nash is not a floor general by our definition because he didn't put effort in on defense.He was just a Great PG with Elite vision that excelled in P&R
Steve Nash put up a tremendous amount of effort on defense. I'm pretty sure he led the league in charges drawn a couple years and always played hard on D. He just wasn't laterally quick enough to keep up with the more athletic PG's.

Im so nba'd out
12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I guess everyone has a different interpretation of what a floor general is