PDA

View Full Version : How can we the the only people in this universe?

sweggeh
12-22-2014, 07:36 AM
http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/aMbWbyX_700b.jpg

Man part of me hopes I could live forever so I could be alive for when we explore all these places.

StephHamann
12-22-2014, 07:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdL3R7fDL4

to sad that space travel is nearly imposible.

fiddy
12-22-2014, 07:53 AM
we are probably created by allies and used as cattle, lmao at anyone thinking our existence means anything

Im Still Ballin
12-22-2014, 08:01 AM
There's one constant law in the universe

Size matters

Real talk

Shade8780
12-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Somewhere out there, in a galaxy far far away, Luke Skywalker is fighting Darth Vader and the Emperor.

Im Still Ballin
12-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Nice avatar shade

DCL
12-22-2014, 09:04 AM
in the grand scheme of things, we are less significant than ants on our planet.

fiddy
12-22-2014, 09:10 AM
didnt look carefully in OP's if he has quasars, google them

Draz
12-22-2014, 10:09 AM
We probably won't ever be able to communicate with them either. There's obvious life elsewhere in space. It's also sad people deny that existence.

christian1923
12-22-2014, 10:20 AM
You gotta be pretty naive to not believe in aliens

iamgine
12-22-2014, 11:32 AM
How can we the the only people in this universe?
In answering that question, we need to know the chance of 'people' forming. If the chance is low enough, then odds are we are the only 'people' in the universe, no matter how many trillions of stars there are.

fiddy
12-22-2014, 11:39 AM
In answering that question, we need to know the chance of 'people' forming. If the chance is low enough, then odds are we are the only 'people' in the universe, no matter how many trillions of stars there are.
There are billions of planets capable of hosting carbon life like that on the earth. You do the math.

iamgine
12-22-2014, 12:01 PM
There are billions of planets capable of hosting carbon life like that on the earth. You do the math.
The question is more what are the chance 'people' develops.

imdaman99
12-22-2014, 12:16 PM
We can't be. The problem is that humanity is not advanced enough to travel light speed out to other galaxies to explore. We need other life forms from another galaxy to do it, hoping they are advanced enough. Human life form has not been around (technology-wise) long enough. Maybe in a few thousand years, if we haven't ruined living on Earth, we will be doing things like in Star Trek. It sucks, the people living now will never experience it. Or it could be a good thing if the aliens come to take over the world and enslave us :oldlol:

highwhey
12-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Space is like OPs mom, you know you aren't the only n1gga to have been in her

outbreak
12-22-2014, 07:50 PM
The odds of their being an intelligent race close enough for us to interact with get blown out when you consider how long the universe has been around and how short the time period we have been around is. Don't just need them close but they have to line up time line wise. There's going to be life but I doubt we find anything intelligent.

gigantes
12-22-2014, 10:43 PM
i was just reading that two new orbiting telescopes are going to be launched in the next few years. they will be able to examine planetary atmospheres in a way never before possible. this advance means we should be able to tell if life is present... even advanced life.

i doubt we'll ever be able to communicate with them, but just knowing that we're not alone should be a real game-changer.

Akrazotile
12-23-2014, 02:43 PM

This is a bad argument and you are boxed in to a narrow line of thinking.

There are billions of people on Earth and no two have the same fingerprints. Not even identical twins.

You dont know the origins of life on Earth. You dont know the specific makeup of anything more than 3 or 4 of our closest neighbors. "Life" could all just be your imagination. It could be one simple accident based on the most improbable of quantum occurrences. It also could be the result of a process that does happen elsewhere. You have no idea.

The "wellp theres so many things in teh space!" argument is so played out and underwhelming. Expand your minddddd broooo.

sweggeh
12-23-2014, 02:46 PM
This is a bad argument and you are boxed in to a narrow line of thinking.

There are billions of people on Earth and no two have the same fingerprints. Not even identical twins.

You dont know the origins of life on Earth. You dont know the specific makeup of anything more than 3 or 4 of our closest neighbors. "Life" could all just be your imagination. It could be one simple accident based on the most improbable of quantum occurrences. It also could be the result of a process that does happen elsewhere. You have no idea.

The "wellp theres so many things in teh space!" argument is so played out and underwhelming. Expand your minddddd broooo.

There can likely be nothing in this universe that has 1 in a sextillion chance of happening. The numbers are just too high for there not to be life out there elsewhere. It is as close to impossible as you can get.

Akrazotile
12-23-2014, 03:03 PM
There can likely be nothing in this universe that has 1 in a sextillion chance of happening. The numbers are just too high for there not to be life out there elsewhere. It is as close to impossible as you can get.

The quantum world tells us that everything in the world has some mathematical probability of happening, including throwing a tennis ball through a brick wall. The existence of some level of probability does not necessarily mean it comes to a real fruition in the physical world.

I'm absolutely NOT saying there is no other life out there. I'm saying the current arguments people use to insist life is out there are not good arguments.

Patrick Chewing
12-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I want to believe.

sweggeh
12-23-2014, 03:11 PM
The quantum world tells us that everything in the world has some mathematical probability of happening, including throwing a tennis ball through a brick wall. The existence of some level of probability does not necessarily mean it comes to a real fruition in the physical world.

I'm absolutely NOT saying there is no other life out there. I'm saying the current arguments people use to insist life is out there are not good arguments.

Dude, the Sun blowing up this very second is probably statistically more likely than there not being life out there. There are too many planets that can harbour life. Trillions of them.

Like I said, it is as close to certain as you can possibly get.