PDA

View Full Version : Is the Basketball Gene Real ?

lilojmayo
12-22-2014, 01:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStbAdaMvo8

My little cousin, is ballin right now for his senior season of HS . Just turned 17, once his body develops and he becomes more athletic watch out!. But its weird because I feel like i'm looking at mirror and seeing myself. He handles the ball and finishes with his left hand in the same manner I did.

and I just saw LeBron's like 10 year old kid highlights . And was amazed, the kid plays just like LeBron just natural court awareness and vision . Dell Curry shooting ability , Steph Curry and his brothers shooting ability

Does anybody else realize this phenomenon is there truly a basketball gene that runs in families where certain straights like ball handling, shooting , court awareness, gets passed down through DNA?:biggums:

LoneyROY7
12-22-2014, 01:45 PM
:eek:

Liloj!?!

You following the Bucks, bruh? Is Mayo still gonna become a superstar?

sick_brah07
12-22-2014, 04:31 PM

My little cousin, is ballin right now for his senior season of HS . Just turned 17, once his body develops and he becomes more athletic watch out!. But its weird because I feel like i'm looking at mirror and seeing myself. He handles the ball and finishes with his left hand in the same manner I did.

and I just saw LeBron's like 10 year old kid highlights . And was amazed, the kid plays just like LeBron just natural court awareness and vision . Dell Curry shooting ability , Steph Curry and his brothers shooting ability

Does anybody else realize this phenomenon is there truly a basketball gene that runs in families where certain straights like ball handling, shooting , court awareness, gets passed down through DNA?:biggums:

yes I think it does

you were pretty good yourself from what I remember... did you play in college ?

STATUTORY
12-22-2014, 04:33 PM
of course physical attributes are genetic

but what about CLUTCH GENE?!

FKAri
12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I thought OP was dead.

Jailblazers7
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM

I think there is probably something to it. Physical and mental traits get passed down the line. Something like Steph's shooting ability might be due to some slight genetic advantage with dexterity or something that allows him to control the ball better coming off his finger tips. Or it could be that you get nurtured from childhood to have those traits. Prob a little of both.

La Frescobaldi
12-22-2014, 06:13 PM
http://web.stanford.edu/class/gene210/files/projects/Gene210-AthleticsPresentation-Roos.pdf

The TT gene has been identified for several years, maybe like 15 or 20.

There's a whole dialog out there about fast twitch and slow twitch musculature if you are interested....

I never looked into it very much because it's not my thing but I believe fast twitch provide explosive leaping, and speed a la Usain Bolt or Barry Sanders or Wilt Chamberlain (who was unquestionably the greatest all-round athlete I have seen in my lifetime)....... vs. slow twitch muscle, which provides that enormous brute strength like Alexeev or the Klitchko brothers or whoever it is the strongest man in the world type stuff.

So like Vince Carter could prolly jump over Alexeev, or beat him by 30 yards in a 100 yard dash.... but Alexeev could probably break Vince's arm off and club him with it.

Anyhow there are gene tests and quite a debate rages in Europe (which is far more advanced than the U.S. in many if not most technologies and sciences) over whether they should have children tested for sport genes

SHAQisGOAT
12-23-2014, 03:31 AM
Kobe's father was a pretty athletic 6'9 player, but not nearly as skilled as his son.

Luke Walton was not as tall nor as athletic as Bill, and he couldn't begin to hang with his father as a player despite even having nice IQ and a decent skill-set.

Klay's father Mychal was a big/buffed/ripped C/PF, lots of skill but simply different player than Klay.

From Rick Barry's son only Brent was similar in size/athleticism, but he wasn't as skilled, smart or relentless.

Kevin Love's father was also big and very physical grabbing rebounds and whatnot... but couldn't mess with his son's skills.

(so on)...

With that said, genes are always major but you gotta have the work ethic as well.

lilojmayo
12-23-2014, 11:12 AM
:eek:

Liloj!?!

You following the Bucks, bruh? Is Mayo still gonna become a superstar?

OJ Mayo is flat out garbage in the NBA. He might be the worst starting SG in the NBA right now. 10 points 3 assists 40 % FG 30 % 3pt nuff said.

edit - he was hooping though as a rookie and sophmore. A completely different player ( but still wasn't a juggernaut ) nevertheless hooping

GimmeThat
12-23-2014, 11:29 AM
it's as real as a white woman and a white man can't give birth to an asian/black child physically/maternally

Psileas
12-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Is the Basketball Gene Real ?

I'm not sure if you're serious with this kind of thread and question, but once you realize that basketball is just an activity that requires a combination of certain simpler physical and mental traits that have existed forever and are well known to be genetically determined, the obvious answer is no, LeBron has as much of a "basketball gene" as some super athletic guy who lived 2,000 years ago did.

If someone has a combination of quick hands + fingers and a slow body + huge belly and so does his son, does this mean the TV gene is real?

russwest0
12-23-2014, 12:50 PM
damn, his 3pt release is so quick.

I'm jelly.

triangleoffense
12-23-2014, 02:58 PM
yes it's called being extremely tall and being able to jump and shoot

oarabbus
12-23-2014, 05:45 PM
yes it's called being extremely tall and being able to jump and shoot

I guess Olowokandi and Kwame Brown have the basketball genes whereas Muggsy Bogues and JJ Barea don't.

I'm not sure if you're serious with this kind of thread and question, but once you realize that basketball is just an activity that requires a combination of certain simpler physical and mental traits that have existed forever and are well known to be genetically determined, the obvious answer is no, LeBron has as much of a "basketball gene" as some super athletic guy who lived 2,000 years ago did.

If someone has a combination of quick hands + fingers and a slow body + huge belly and so does his son, does this mean the TV gene is real?

:oldlol: :applause:

triangleoffense
12-23-2014, 07:05 PM
I guess Olowokandi and Kwame Brown have the basketball genes whereas Muggsy Bogues and JJ Barea don't.

:oldlol: :applause:
being retarded doesn't really help either, sorry I forgot to mention that you should maybe have some intellect as well, thought that was a given. Oh yea and having stone hands doesn't help either.

JohnMax
12-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Rondo and Schroder have same body type and they aren't same player

russwest0
12-23-2014, 07:17 PM
I thought OP was dead.

OP is Snake Plissken.

russwest0
12-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Rondo and Schroder have same body type and they aren't same player

but they are both in the NBA.

buddha
12-23-2014, 07:19 PM
my son is definitely going to have the fapping gene.

lilojmayo
12-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Again , it's just an observation.
Just like in academics a lot of times

Maybe it's just the upbringing

Fire Colangelo
12-24-2014, 08:06 PM
You're only born with so much. Much of what you become is nurtured after birth.

NBA Players are born with superior genes compared to the average joe, and probably has much more opportunities, doesn't mean he's gonna be a better baller. You can have all the training facility/genes in the world and it won't matter shit if you don't have the heart for the game.

Lebron's kid looks good right now, but that could mean jack shit 10 years down the road when he realizes he's the son of Lebron James and starts ****ing around. You see so many kid actors that have so much potential fade out because they started ****ing around. MJ's kids we're good, but they didn't have don't he strive to be great ballers, instead wanted to work as a manager for Nike or some shit.

Look at one of Magic's son, fat as ****. Obviously didn't have heart for anything unlike his brother.

Don't think Kareem's sons did much with basketball either.

Usually it's the decent - not superstar players' sons that do well in the NBA, or even get in the NBA at all.