PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Pistons waived Josh Smith? Wouldn't it be better if they traded him?

Heisenberg
12-23-2014, 01:57 AM
for assets? Now they got nothing and will be paying Smith till 2020. SMH Detroit -_-

hawksdogsbraves
12-23-2014, 01:58 AM
for assets? Now they got nothing and will be paying Smith till 2020. SMH Detroit -_-

Obviously nobody wanted him or would take him. Do you not think SVG considered this?

Rake2204
12-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Van Gundy tried desperately to unload Smith for value. It seems nearly every team interested (the very few) insisted upon receiving a first round pick as compensation for taking on Smith and his contract.

Heisenberg
12-23-2014, 02:00 AM
Obviously nobody wanted him or would take him. Do you not think SVG considered this?
I doubt that 0 team in the NBA would not want Josh Smith.

Collie
12-23-2014, 02:01 AM

Only Sacramento was interested

Heavincent
12-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Nobody wanted him.

hawksdogsbraves
12-23-2014, 02:05 AM

Literally no team other than Sacramento would/could take him, and even with their looney owner they wouldn't do it. So at that point you can either cut him, get a little of your money back when he signs somewhere else, and get his cancerous ass off the team - or just let him bring you down for the rest of his contract.

Better to just be rid of him and start the rebuild now. They aren't winning shit by the time he's off the books anyway.

ImKobe
12-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Kings did give em an offer but they refused it, now when they tried to unload him again, teams weren't willing to absorb his contract unless they gave a 1st round in return.

wally_world
12-23-2014, 03:10 AM
They would have to GIVE UP assets. I think teams were asking for a 1st rounder to take on Smith's contract.

Done_And_Done
12-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Literally no team other than Sacramento would/could take him, and even with their looney owner they wouldn't do it. So at that point you can either cut him, get a little of your money back when he signs somewhere else, and get his cancerous ass off the team - or just let him bring you down for the rest of his contract.

Better to just be rid of him and start the rebuild now. They aren't winning shit by the time he's off the books anyway.

Nailed it

hawkfan
12-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Pistons want to tank this season.
Thompson and Landry would screw that up.

SwishSquared
12-23-2014, 04:01 AM
Apparently Kings offered Thompson + Williams for Smith over the summer. Not sure if Kings required a pick in return.

That likely would have been the best trade offer, as it offered cap flexibility and a serviceable big in return. SVG wouldn't pull trigger because he wanted to give coaching Smith a shot before trading him. Arguably a problem with the GM/coach being the same person. Best deal for roster construction is antithesis of what he wanted to do as a coach.

coin24
12-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Get it done Mitch :cheers:

Although I think the rockets will land him for f all:facepalm

Sharmer
12-23-2014, 05:39 AM
They should have waited for trade deadline. Smith had been pretty good of late, despite missing too many free throws. This would have to be one of the worst moves. Waiving a player with 26 million on contract. The market was cold for Smith now. But from a GM perspective this was a terrible mistake.

morbius
12-23-2014, 10:12 AM
There was no need to cut him now, it's not like they were going anywhere with or without him. They should have kept him on the bench and then use stretch provision at the end of the year when this season is off the books.

FireDavidKahn
12-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Do you seriously think that they didn't try? You are a moron

tontoz
12-23-2014, 10:55 AM
:facepalm

GOBB
12-23-2014, 10:55 AM
People who say no team wanted him are silly. At least pretend to have a damn clue. If no teams wanted Josh smith then no teams should be going after him on waivers. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Josh smith will end up on a team somewhere even tho no one wants him. You guys make a ton of sense.

Poster Rake hit the nail on the head.

tontoz
12-23-2014, 11:08 AM
People who say no team wanted him are silly. At least pretend to have a damn clue. If no teams wanted Josh smith then no teams should be going after him on waivers. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Josh smith will end up on a team somewhere even tho no one wants him. You guys make a ton of sense.

No team will pick him up off waivers. Nobody is going to offer him anything until after he clears waivers and then they won't offer more than the min.

GimmeThat
12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
they aren't used to making the block buster trades.

in which they will retain the "super star" if they did get one.

bizil
12-23-2014, 11:41 AM
It takes two to make a trade. Sometimes its just better to cut bait and start over with what u have. Ideally sure u want to make a trade, but some situations dictate u move on as soon as possible. But I gotta say, the fact that Josh hasn't improved his game for many years is disappointing. The fact that he's seen now as an undersized PF who can't really adapt well to playing the SF position says it all to me. Back in the day, I thought he could be like a Marion or Kirilenko kind of player. Guess I was wrong! lol He has the ability but something for sure is missing.

hawksdogsbraves
12-23-2014, 11:53 AM

That's not how it works. If Smith is claimed on waivers then the new team would be on the hook for the whole rest of his contract.

If they wait til he's off waivers, then he can sign anywhere for as much as he can get, (which won't be much more than a minimum deal) while the Pistons are still going to have to pay the remainder of his deal.

Plenty of teams want Josh Smith on a minimum deal. The Kings were the only team possibly interested in him at $13mil/yr, and even they soured on him the way he had played this year.

Waiving him was a last resort move.

Myth
12-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Why would they get money back? They didn't amnesty him.

Myth
12-23-2014, 12:02 PM

No team wants him with the contract he had. There are teams fine with his abilities, but not at $26M over 2 years.

hawksdogsbraves
12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Why would they get money back? They didn't amnesty him.

I believe that whatever money his new team pays him comes out of what he's owed by Detroit right?

Could be wrong on that, either way it's pretty insignificant since he'll likely be on a min. deal.

boozehound
12-23-2014, 12:16 PM
They should have waited for trade deadline. Smith had been pretty good of late, despite missing too many free throws. This would have to be one of the worst moves. Waiving a player with 26 million on contract. The market was cold for Smith now. But from a GM perspective this was a terrible mistake.
no he hasnt. Dude has been a disaster all season. You obviously do not watch the pistons. He has been an albatross around their neck.

boozehound
12-23-2014, 12:17 PM
I believe that whatever money his new team pays him comes out of what he's owed by Detroit right?

Could be wrong on that, either way it's pretty insignificant since he'll likely be on a min. deal.
no, thats only in an amnesty. When a player is waived, teams can claim him off waivers for his existing contract. Once he clears waivers, that player can sign with any team and it doesnt impact what he is already owed. So, he will get 13 mil next year plus whatever he signs for. As least that is how I understand it.

Myth
12-23-2014, 12:18 PM

No, you are describing amnesty.

boozehound
12-23-2014, 12:19 PM
There was no need to cut him now, it's not like they were going anywhere with or without him. They should have kept him on the bench and then use stretch provision at the end of the year when this season is off the books.
pretty sure this season is not part of the stretch (since hes already on the books for the 13. million), so it wouldnt matter. obviously they felt that it was better to have him off the squad than hanging around.

Myth
12-23-2014, 12:22 PM
pretty sure this season is not part of the stretch (since hes already on the books for the 13. million), so it wouldnt matter. obviously they felt that it was better to have him off the squad than hanging around.

The one argument that would make sense for keeping him is that they suck with or without him this year, and next year his contract may be more enticing as an expiring contract.

boozehound
12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
The one argument that would make sense for keeping him is that they suck with or without him this year, and next year his contract may be more enticing as an expiring contract.
its not an expiring contract next year, its 2 years from now. and obviously this was more than just about the money. They obviously thought he was a bad influence on the development of their younger players. I would tend to agree. The body language of drummond (and monroe for that matter) has been incredibly negative this year. They are not having fun on the court, and I think hes been a big part of that.

hawkfan
12-23-2014, 12:37 PM
its not an expiring contract next year, its 2 years from now. and obviously this was more than just about the money. They obviously thought he was a bad influence on the development of their younger players. I would tend to agree. The body language of drummond (and monroe for that matter) has been incredibly negative this year. They are not having fun on the court, and I think hes been a big part of that.

Monroe is probably unhappy with his contract situation as well.

Myth
12-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Dang, I was thinking that this year was part of the 2 years on his contract (since it is still relatively early in this season). I absolutely do not disagree with you on their reasons for cutting him. I think it was smart. I was just stating what the 1 reason I could think of keeping him for, but that was also based on an incorrect assumption regarding his contract.

Embers
12-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I dont get why a deal like

Landry + Williams for Smith + 2nd rounder

could not have been done. That is a good deal for both sides really

GOBB
12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks for clearing up waivers fellas. You're good for something afterall.

No team wants him with the contract he had. There are teams fine with his abilities, but not at $26M over 2 years.

No I get that his contract isnt appealing to teams in hindsight but the way posters talk as if he is a bad player. He's not. What he does is just not worth what he is getting paid. However I recall Zach Randolph being labelled as such. Similar situation including contract and as of today? What do you know. Teams will take this chance to get him for cheap but this is the NBA. If Detroit didn't give him that money another team would have spent big bucks. Teams in this league do what Detroit did. Spend on a guy then after a year or two dont want him and try to trade. So given the circumstances now? Sure teams dont want that contract. But a year ago some would have given nearly as much. I dont remember how FA went but I doubt Detroit was the only team after Josh. It's just that now teams can be smart and say lets not pay him all of that.

tontoz
12-23-2014, 04:29 PM
No I get that his contract isnt appealing to teams in hindsight but the way posters talk as if he is a bad player. He's not. What he does is just not worth what he is getting paid.

Actually he is. I posted a link earlier in the thread showing that he is the only guy (since the 1940s) who took 14 shots per game with a TS under 42%. He has been a train wreck this season.

GOBB
12-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Actually he is. I posted a link earlier in the thread showing that he is the only guy (since the 1940s) who took 14 shots per game with a TS under 42%. He has been a train wreck this season.

He's performing bad this season yes. He's not a bad player in general which is what I'm getting at. Different situation he could very well perform better than those stats you posted show. Why? Because hes talented at the end of the day.

And no I wouldn't take him on the Sixers. We already have a PF who thinks he can hit three's (Mbah a Poop-pay). :lol

tontoz
12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
He's performing bad this season yes. He's not a bad player in general which is what I'm getting at. Different situation he could very well perform better than those stats you posted show. Why? Because hes talented at the end of the day.

And no I wouldn't take him on the Sixers. We already have a PF who thinks he can hit three's (Mbah a Poop-pay). :lol

Smith's talent is frequently rendered moot by his stupidity.

I think Atlanta got as much out of him as possible thanks to their spacing. Every other starter could shoot from the perimeter. Other than Dirk i think Horford might be the best big in the league at hitting midrange shots. At least he used to be.

On a team with weak spacing Smith's flaws get more exposed.

HiphopRelated
12-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Pistons want to tank this season.
Thompson and Landry would screw that up.
Not really, neither of those are game changers, but they're two more PFs looking for minutes, the opposite of what SVG wants

Collie
12-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm sure there were some teams that were interested IF he didn't have that horrendous contract. At the vet minimum? Sure.

hawkfan
12-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Not really, neither of those are game changers, but they're two more PFs looking for minutes, the opposite of what SVG wants

They could be re swapped out - their contracts are smaller.
Van Gundy - master of panic.

The JKidd Kid
12-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I feel like this whole situation in Detroit and seeing whether or not Van Gundy can make them competitive will determine the future of the Coach/GM trend in todays NBA.