PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 MVP's this season

UK2K
12-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Individual players, record be damned....

1) Davis
2) Westbrook
3) Harden
4) Curry
5) Lebron
6) Butler
7) Durant
8) Cousins
9) Lillard
10) Wall

Agree? Disagree?

I know Gasol is given all the MVP hype, but his numbers just arent there. Defensively he's been a beast, and is clearly the anchor for the Grizz, but MVP is supposed to be an individual award.

MUGEN
12-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Marc Gasol and Aldridge both should be considered

J Shuttlesworth
12-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Disagree with a lot of that list. Durant shouldn't be on there putting up 22/5/3 on 9 games played. Westbrook has also only played 14 games so I wouldn't have him at #2 until he plays at least 25 games and keeps up the same level play.

Ignoring record:

1. Harden
2. LeBron James
3. Anthony Davis
4. Curry
5. Westbrook

Milbuck
12-23-2014, 05:08 AM
Individual players, record be damned....

Ignoring record:
Why?

nathanjizzle
12-23-2014, 05:12 AM
I got

1.Rose
2.Butler
3.Pau
4.Joakim
5.Mirotic

J Shuttlesworth
12-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Why?
Ask OP, I was just following his guidelines. Otherwise, I'd still have Harden at top, but Curry/Gasol/Aldridge in no specific order.

I'm giving Harden the top because he kept the Rockets winning while there were 3-4 players out, including Dwight

UK2K
12-23-2014, 05:14 AM
Marc Gasol and Aldridge both should be considered

If Gasol was on the Knicks and put up those numbers, would he even be in the discussion?

That's how I look at it. Why does Gasol get bonus points for his team winning. Is it because of him? Partially. But it's also not Cousins fault for his team losing.

Aldridge's per 36 numbers are down from last year, so if he wasn't in contention last year, he's certainly not now. 46% FG for a big man?

Cousins 24 and 13 on 52% shooting > Aldridge's 23 and 11 on 46% shooting.

Again, getting credit for your team's performance relating to an individual award is kind of dumb. I know that's the way it is, but for arguments sake we are ignoring records.

Milbuck
12-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Ask OP, I was just following his guidelines. Otherwise, I'd still have Harden at top, but Curry/Gasol/Aldridge in no specific order.

I'm giving Harden the top because he kept the Rockets winning while there were 3-4 players out, including Dwight
Yeah edited his post in too, skimmed through the OP.

I just don't see the point of asking for an MVP list disregarding record, it's pretty much asking for a list of the 10 best players or 10 highest impact players.

Anyways on-topic, my list, looking purely at level of play but also impact on the team..but I guess disregarding the actual record..

1) Davis
2) Westbrook
3) Harden
4) Lebron
5) Curry

Then Cousins, Aldridge, Lillard, Wall, Butler, etc in some order that I'm too lazy to think about.

UK2K
12-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Why?

Because MVP is not a team award.

I know it's voted like that, its defaulted to a 'best statistical player on a top 3 team', but that doesn't make you any more valuable than someone putting up league wide highs on a middle of the road team.

I mean, put Gasol on Boston. What are his numbers? Is he even considered an all star? I guess he would be in the East, but, he's not even putting up all star numbers now, he just happens to be the best player on a good team. Did he fill out the roster too?

FKAri
12-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Because MVP is not a team award.

I know it's voted like that, its defaulted to a 'best statistical player on a top 3 team', but that doesn't make you any more valuable than someone putting up league wide highs on a middle of the road team.

I mean, put Gasol on Boston. What are his numbers? Is he even considered an all star? I guess he would be in the East, but, he's not even putting up all star numbers now, he just happens to be the best player on a good team. Did he fill out the roster too?

Then why would you have Jimmy Butler over guys like Durant, Cousins, Wall. As for Lillard, isn't Gasol individually better than him? If a team could have one of those two guys for the same price wouldn't they opt for Gasol?

UK2K
12-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Then why would you have Jimmy Butler over guys like Durant, Cousins, Wall. As for Lillard, isn't Gasol individually better than him? If a team could have one of those two guys for the same price wouldn't they opt for Gasol?

Because not only is Jimmy Butler balling out of control on the offensive end (22,6,3) but his defense is elite. Elite.

There are five guys on that list in the top 20 in steals. Curry, Harden, Davis, Lillard and Butler.

I know I will probably be crucified for saying this, but I don't think Gasol is an elite defender. He's above average sure, and the Grizz are elite defensively as a team, but I wouldn't put him in the discussion with Davis, Jordan, or Bogut.

And let's be honest, if it's not his defense that puts him in the MVP discussion, it sure as hell isn't his offense.

Lillard is averaging 21, 6, and 5 and has a turnover rate of 12.7%. There are 208 other players with a higher turnover rate than him, and only 28 players who handle the ball more than him.

But to answer your question, no, if Lillard and Gasol were the same price, I would not take Gasol.

pauk
12-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately the record is never damned for NBA MVP criteria, infact that has always been the #1 criteria/priority/requirement.... you dont have to have played better than anybody or even be a top 10 player.... simply being the leader/best player of your team which preferably has the best record in the NBA will always win the MVP......

With other words right now its Stephen Curry in the lead.....

MMM
12-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Because not only is Jimmy Butler balling out of control on the offensive end (22,6,3) but his defense is elite. Elite.

There are five guys on that list in the top 20 in steals. Curry, Harden, Davis, Lillard and Butler.

I know I will probably be crucified for saying this, but I don't think Gasol is an elite defender. He's above average sure, and the Grizz are elite defensively as a team, but I wouldn't put him in the discussion with Davis, Jordan, or Bogut.

And let's be honest, if it's not his defense that puts him in the MVP discussion, it sure as hell isn't his offense.

Lillard is averaging 21, 6, and 5 and has a turnover rate of 12.7%. There are 208 other players with a higher turnover rate than him, and only 28 players who handle the ball more than him.

But to answer your question, no, if Lillard and Gasol were the same price, I would not take Gasol.

Davis and Jordan aren't elite defenders. Gasol is definitely better positional defender and would argue his impact on team rebounding is comparable despite the discrepancy in personal rebounding totals.

chazzy
12-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Unfortunately the record is never damned for NBA MVP criteria, infact that has always been the #1 criteria/priority/requirement.... you dont have to have played better than anybody or even be a top 10 player.... simply being the leader/best player of your team which preferably has the best record in the NBA will always win the MVP......

With other words right now its Stephen Curry in the lead.....
When you put it like that, the MVP award doesn't sound impressive at all and I have now adjusted my all time list accordingly.

Pauk before Lebron won a title and was winning MVPs: "I dont care about no damn TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT.... MVP is where it's at, an individual award. So are POTM awards."

Pauk after Lebron wins titles but no longer leading MVP races: "You don't even have to be a top 10 player... just happen to simply be the leader of the best team..."

pauk
12-23-2014, 07:23 AM
When you put it like that, the MVP award doesn't sound impressive at all and I have now adjusted my all time list accordingly.

Considering it gives priority to the player who is accountable for the most team success...... it is actually very impressive...

With other words, you should boost those that have many MVPs on your all time list.... 3+ MVPs is no fluke of a team impact...

pauk
12-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Pauk before Lebron won a title and was winning MVPs: "I dont care about no damn TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT.... MVP is where it's at, an individual award. So are POTM awards."

Pauk after Lebron wins titles but no longer leading MVP races: "You don't even have to be a top 10 player... just happen to simply be the leader of the best team..."

Nice try.

Legends66NBA7
12-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Where's Lowry in this case ?

UK2K
12-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Davis and Jordan aren't elite defenders. Gasol is definitely better positional defender and would argue his impact on team rebounding is comparable despite the discrepancy in personal rebounding totals.
If Davis and Jordan aren't elite low post defenders, who exactly is in your mind?

UK2K
12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Is he deserving of a top 10 ranking? If so, who do you bump off?

Wall has been playing phenomenal. You can see my argument for Lillard, and Cousins is putting up historically good numbers. You don't think he'd be higher than 7 do you?

andremiller07
12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
If Davis and Jordan aren't elite low post defenders, who exactly is in your mind?
Andrew Bogut/Marc Gasol /Dwight/Tyson Chandler...that's pretty much it all these other guys like Noah/Ibaka/Davis/Jordan are all mad overrated defenders.

Davis and Jordan get raped by strong skilled players they become non existant once someone puts a body on them same with Noah.

andremiller07
12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Lowry is top 5 without question, that Toronto team based on talent really is not a 22-8 (or whatever there record is) and he's the best player by a long way on that team and makes big shots. The fact he's carried them to that record is crazy.

hahaitme
12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
gotta put harden at #1 currently

I hate him and his playstyle but he's the clear cut lead ATM.

edit: also IDC about Davis and his stats, he isn't going to be MVP this year

Legends66NBA7
12-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Is he deserving of a top 10 ranking? If so, who do you bump off?

Wall has been playing phenomenal. You can see my argument for Lillard, and Cousins is putting up historically good numbers. You don't think he'd be higher than 7 do you?

Kyle Lowry is absolutely deserving of Top 10 and more than a case for higher than 7.

Look at where the NBA MVP ladder has him, at #6.

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/sekou_smith/12/19/week-7-kia-race-to-the-mvp-john-wall-stands-out-for-washington-wizards/index.html

The Raptors haven't lost since that Dec. 9 defeat at the hands of the Cleveland Cavaliers, putting together a four-game win streak fueled by Lowry's relentlessness. He's had four double-doubles in his last six games and has routinely outplayed opposing point guards, too. All the while, the Raptors have held on tight to that top spot in the Eastern Conference, a position many thought they might have relinquished by now. Lowry simply won't allow it. And keep in mind he's doing all of this without DeMar DeRozan around to tote his share of the load.

Only PG higher than him on the ladder is Curry.

He's clearly the best player on the Raptors and without DeRozan, has been stepping up a bigger role. He's only had off the top of my head maybe... 2 bad performances this season ?... even if he's struggling with his shot, he does other things to help his team win. His impact is that great.

The fact that he would be questioned for Top 10 on MVP rankings just goes to show underrated he probably is on here.

Young X
12-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Don't understand how Lowry isn't top 10 so far. He's currently leading a Toronto team that's on pace to have one of the best offensive seasons ever (still early tho) and their best record in franchise history. He's one of the best all around PG's in the league - scoring, playmaking, rebounding, defense, leadership, toughness, etc.