PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul is NOT the best PG

LoneyROY7
12-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Curry and Westbrook are clearly better and more impactful players right now.

I tired of defending this guy, when he fails time and time again in the clutch. Whether it's a missed shot, a turnover, or a fumbled pass...when the lights get the brightest, this dude shrinks.

F*ck your turnover to assist ratio.

TylerOO
12-23-2014, 11:11 PM
No shit...

Only blind retards who care about nerdy ass stats believed he was.

Dr. Ice
12-23-2014, 11:12 PM
What? I thought he did pretty good today, made dennis schroder and jeff teague absolutely irrelevant and he had 5 freaking steals, all of which were in momentum changing moments.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
He's still elite and AT LEAST top 3 at his position, but you're right. Dude basically lost LA the game tonight, and has been living off his "clutch rep" for a couple seasons now. Paul hasn't been clutch against the elite teams - and overall, yes, Curry is a better PG ATM. Won't go as far to say Westbrook is better, but it's closer than ever w/ Rose and Wall closing the gap fast.

SpecialQue
Blake is clearly the best player on that team.

LoneyROY7
12-23-2014, 11:14 PM
What? I thought he did pretty good today, made dennis schroder and jeff teague absolutely irrelevant and he had 5 freaking steals, all of which were in momentum changing moments.

I don't care about his stats (even though he shot 38 percent), he just simply isn't good at the end of games.

TylerOO

Has been past two seasons. Chris Paul is too worried about not turning it over and is scared of the moment. Reminds me of some of the nerds I play ball with at the park sometimes.

tmacattack33
Last year he had some ppl saying he was the best PG and it was probably mostly due to career reputation. But it was arguable.

This year it is not. Westbrook has stepped his game up and is the clear number one to me, and if not him its Stephen Curry. Chris Paul would be happy to be 3rd best...with John Wall close behind.

noob cake
Maybe you should find fault in Blake Griffin?

Paul and JJ outplayed the Hawks guards. Blake Griffin's piss poor rotation + Barnes' inability to guard wait for it...Demarre Carroll lost the Clippers the game.

TylerOO
12-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Paul and JJ outplayed the Hawks guards. Blake Griffin's piss poor rotation + Barnes' inability to guard wait for it...Demarre Carroll lost the Clippers the game.

That's not how basketball works. Blake played pretty good. Cliff Dick Paul? Not so much.

LoneyROY7
12-23-2014, 11:16 PM

When we run the offense through Blake (who had 11 assists tonight btw) we play well. When we we play Paul-ball and let him pound the ball for the entire shot clock, we get stagnant and struggle.

That and we need to get Crawford the f*ck off this team.

LoneyROY7
12-23-2014, 11:18 PM

Paul outplayed Dennis Schoeder? Yay! :lol

Blake went against Paul Millsap (an actually legit player) and held him to 4-12 shooting on the defensive end.

I'm not sure what game you were watching.

fpliii
12-23-2014, 11:27 PM
:rolleyes:

smh

beastee
12-23-2014, 11:31 PM
This year it is not. Westbrook has stepped his game up and is the clear number one to me, and if not him its Stephen Curry. Chris Paul would be happy to be 3rd best...with John Wall close behind.
I agree with this. Except I would put wall 3rd and with the way rose is playing he might be better than Paul as well. Add in lowry, lillard, kyrie and cp3 couple be out of the top 6 real soon .

LoneyROY7
12-23-2014, 11:32 PM

smh

Nothing to shake your head it. Watch the games.

fpliii
12-23-2014, 11:33 PM
lol now people are putting guys other than Curry or even WB ahead of him? Yikes.

Peace out ISH.

COnDEMnED
12-23-2014, 11:33 PM

I tired of defending this guy, when he fails time and time again in the clutch. Whether it's a missed shot, a turnover, or a fumbled pass...when the lights get the brightest, this dude shrinks.

The guy was an absolute stud. That injury he had prior to his trade is to blame. He had the tools, not anymore.

bizil
12-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I think Westbrook and Curry are more dominant and better players. BUT CP3 is a better PG. I know that's gonna fly over many people's head on here. But the key asset to a PG is to drop dimes and make your teammates better. Curry and Westbrook are more score first BUT they pass well too. So I'm fine with those who think Curry and Westbrook are better players. But in terms of being a PG, Paul is still the man! Pass first PG who ALSO has takeover scoring ability. If Curry or Westbrook were 6'6, they would be SG's. If Paul was 6'6, he would still likely be a big PG. It's the nature he sees the game.

However, this kid Wall is coming on strong! Looks like he's gonna be a freak athletic version of Gary Payton. Wall looks to pass first AND has alpha dog ability too. Even though Westbrook is a beast and just as athletic, he reminds me more of a David Thompson style player who happens to be skilled enough to play PG.

fpliii
12-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Nothing to shake your head it. Watch the games.
I've watched you guys more than any team other than the Lakers this year (though probably nowhere near as much as you have). You're overreacting to individual possessions. Losses like this are frustrating for sure, but there's no reason to buy into false narratives. Cmon man.

navy
12-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Curry and Westbrook are better.

Young X
12-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Still think he is, but Curry has had a better season up to this point. I'm just the type to wait and see how the entire season plays out before drawing any conclusions especially when the gap isn't big. Not like CP isn't playing elite himself.

CP needs to come through more frequently in late game situations, he's been making too many uncharacteristic mistakes late in games recently. He used to excel in these situations, but he's been ****ing up more recently for some reason. He needs to stop with this bullsh!t and get it together, come through for your team like a player of his caliber should.

ArbitraryWater
12-23-2014, 11:51 PM

smh

Its true though... Westbrook and Curry have surpassed him.

You probably still give too much emphasis to advanced stats.

ArbitraryWater
12-23-2014, 11:55 PM
I think Westbrook and Curry are more dominant and better players. BUT CP3 is a better PG. I know that's gonna fly over many people's head on here. But the key asset to a PG is to drop dimes and make your teammates better. Curry and Westbrook are more score first BUT they pass well too. So I'm fine with those who think Curry and Westbrook are better players. But in terms of being a PG, Paul is still the man! Pass first PG who ALSO has takeover scoring ability. If Curry or Westbrook were 6'6, they would be SG's. If Paul was 6'6, he would still likely be a big PG. It's the nature he sees the game.

However, this kid Wall is coming on strong! Looks like he's gonna be a freak athletic version of Gary Payton. Wall looks to pass first AND has alpha dog ability too. Even though Westbrook is a beast and just as athletic, he reminds me more of a David Thompson style player who happens to be skilled enough to play PG.

You give to much thought into position, what someone is supposed to do (according to you) and the whole alpha thing.. The only thing that should matter is who the better player is, and since they are both PGs, they're better PGs.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Its true though... Westbrook and Curry have surpassed him.

You probably still give too much emphasis to advanced stats.

This. fpliii is a good poster, and one of the smartest fans on the board, but advanced metrics won't tell you that Paul has regressed AND that the gap between "best pg" is closer than ever.

ATM, I have Paul #2 behind Curry - who I also believe has a legit case for MVP.

beastee
12-24-2014, 12:06 AM
The only thing that should matter is who the better player is, and since they are both PGs, they're better PGs.
Ding. Ding. Ding. I have spent 5 years arguing about CP3 vs. Rose/WB/Curry and all other shoot first PGs. I don't care about the prototypical player. This is not high school hoops, this league is about stars and taking over games. Shoot first guards like Lillard - Rose and Almost Wall and WB all took over in the 4th quarter tonight and the only reason all 4 didn't win is they were playing each other. I watched CP3 at the end...not so clutch. But hey man you can hold onto your PER and tuck yourself in with efficiency.

Graviton
12-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Curry is getting overrated a little, he had a hot start in the regular season. Paul and Westbrook will still be the top PGs in the playoffs. Once defenses focus and scoring options are limited Paul and Russ do other things at an elite level. What's Curry gonna do when his 3 point shot isn't falling? What will he do when he has a bad shooting night?

Don't give up on Paul after 1 regular season game.

navy
12-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Curry is getting overrated a little, he had a hot start in the regular season. Paul and Westbrook will still be the top PGs in the playoffs. Once defenses focus and scoring options are limited Paul and Russ do other things at an elite level. What's Curry gonna do when his 3 point shot isn't falling? What will he do when he has a bad shooting night?

Don't give up on Paul after 1 regular season game.
I think Curry has taken the jump. We shall see. People love to overreact after single games.

Legends66NBA7
12-24-2014, 12:12 AM
So, he's still Top 2-3 ? :confusedshrug:

Long season. Let's see where they are all at after the year.

Graviton
12-24-2014, 12:15 AM
I think Curry has taken the jump. We shall see. People love to overreact after single games.
If he stopped taking pull up 3s on the fastbreak then maybe. I hate when he does that shit, even if it goes in.

Do these games even matter that much though? It's not even til post All-Star break when teams actually focus, click and we see quality basketball. 1st half of the season is always the experimental period.

navy
12-24-2014, 12:15 AM
If he stopped taking pull up 3s on the fastbreak then maybe. I hate when he does that shit, even if it goes in.

Do these games even matter that much though? It's not even til post All-Star break when teams actually focus, click and we see quality basketball. 1st half of the season is always the experimental period.
Westbrook 1-5 from three tonight. :no:

I think all the point guards have flaws in their scoring arsenals though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Westbrook 1-5 from three tonight. :no:

I think all the point guards have flaws in their scoring arsenals though.

Yeah I believe Westbrook has the biggest and MOST glaring flaws. Not sure he'll never have the control or presence in a game Curry or Paul do. Just my opinion.

Young X
12-24-2014, 12:24 AM

Don't give up on Paul after 1 regular season game.Remember last season when Indiana was looking unbeatable and everybody was calling Paul George a top 5 player? People are way too quick to overreact to early regular season games. Let's see what happens from now until the end of the playoffs before we make conclusions like "the brighter the lights, the more Paul shrinks".

navy
12-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Yeah I believe Westbrook has the biggest and MOST glaring flaws. Not sure he'll never have the control or presence in a game Curry or Paul do. Just my opinion.
Hmm, I disagree. Westbrook is the only one who can routinely force the issue. Sometimes he is out of control, but he always has the ability.

Lillard and Curry are three reliant and when it's not falling, they look like ghost.

Paul is in the middle. But his ability to score is now the worst out of the top 3.

Graviton
12-24-2014, 12:27 AM
His issues are coaching related, doubt it will be fixed under Scott Brooks though. That's a guy whose "plays" out of timeouts are pullup 3s for Westbrook/Durant with no screens or any actual ball/player movement. He did the same shit today, and in the last playoffs. It's insane.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Hmm, I disagree. Westbrook is the only one who can routinely force the issue. Sometimes he is out of control, but he always has the ability.

Lillard and Curry are three reliant and when it's not falling, they look like ghost.

Paul is in the middle. But his ability to score is now the worst out of the top 3.

Meant that I'm not sure he'll *ever have that ability, but I think you picked up on it.

I'm not a homer either. Paul's lack of aggression and constant passiveness hurts the Clippers. Big time. I've seen dude score at complete will, only to play like the Kwame Brown of point guards the next several possessions.

Graviton
12-24-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm not a homer either. Westbrook's aggression and constant rush hurts OKC. Big time. I've seen dude score efficiently at complete will, only to play like Brandon Jennings the next several possessions.
Edited for me.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Edited for me.
Who hacked your account? Good stuff :cheers:

Graviton
12-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Who hacked your account? Good stuff :cheers:
I always criticized Westbrook, I just never blindly stan for him like some others so nobody even notices. :lol

navy
12-24-2014, 12:43 AM
That nikka still thinks he can shoot 3s.

fpliii
12-24-2014, 12:53 AM
I kind of overreacted in this thread guys, apologies for that. Some of the comments in here got me pretty steamed, probably need to take some time off from the site.

Jasper
11-05-2016, 09:49 AM

Westbrook maybe ,,, but what would CP3 need to get to the finals :confusedshrug:

CP3 and Westbrook are defined as PG's that they carry well as distributors and leaders.

ArbitraryWater
11-05-2016, 10:39 AM
He's still elite and AT LEAST top 3 at his position, but you're right. Dude basically lost LA the game tonight, and has been living off his "clutch rep" for a couple seasons now. Paul hasn't been clutch against the elite teams - and overall, yes, Curry is a better PG ATM. Won't go as far to say Westbrook is better, but it's closer than ever w/ Rose and Wall closing the gap fast.

:biggums:

Bigsmoke
11-05-2016, 11:31 AM
best PG from 2008-2014 besides in 2011

not a bad run at all:confusedshrug:

TommyGriffin
11-05-2016, 11:35 AM
A solid thread from a solid OP.