PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs are a first round exit and struggle against +.500 teams badly

huskerdu
12-23-2014, 11:56 PM
All this talk heading into the season about what a genius Cuban is with all these FA signings and their defense still sucks (Rondo alone can't change that) and while their offense is solid they just can't do anything against the top squads in the league.

Dirk is going through a tough slump and I'm sure that won't last but there isn't really any favorable matchups they can get in the first round.

Would be shocked if they got to round 2.

Mr. Jabbar
12-23-2014, 11:56 PM
you can thank konex for this

MellowYellow
12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Suns are just a fully stacked team, Mavs are an all-star lineup with a d-league bench.

navy
12-24-2014, 12:01 AM
you can thank konex for this
This. Let's be honest, team started to struggle when he said what he said.

DMAVS41
12-24-2014, 12:03 AM
People will blame Rondo, but this thing was gonna go south if we had kept our other team...and there was no upside whatsoever in the playoffs.

The defense is awful and Parsons makes virtually no impact in most games. Such an inflated record. Missing the playoffs is definitely possible if we don't add a couple more guys.

Mr. Jabbar
12-24-2014, 12:04 AM
This. Let's be honest, team started to struggle when he said what he said.

the curse struck them harder than ive seen it before, konex put a lot of energy into that thread, you could tell they were a 1st round exit the moment it was posted

CelticBaller
12-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Give them time

Another ISH overreaction

YouGotServed
12-24-2014, 12:31 AM
People will blame Rondo, but this thing was gonna go south if we had kept our other team...and there was no upside whatsoever in the playoffs.

The defense is awful and Parsons makes virtually no impact in most games. Such an inflated record. Missing the playoffs is definitely possible if we don't add a couple more guys.

I'm glad there's at least 1 rational Mavs fan who can admit signing Parsons was a terrible idea. Cuban wanted to beat Morey so bad he failed to see Parsons for what he truly is: a mediocre small forward with an average offensive skill set and below average defense. He can score (sometimes), but his defense is laughable. Seriously, he's one of the worst defensive players in the NBA and he's one of the main reasons why Houston didn't click defensively last year.

Mavs fan know this they just won't admit it. Parsons is an OK player, just don't expect him to contribute significantly to a championship contending team. He's not that type of player. All flash, no defense or substance.

navy
12-24-2014, 12:33 AM

You think they will cliff dive that bad?

Young X
12-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Stop overreacting, only 1/3rd of the season has passed. They just got Rondo, give them time to get acclimated with each other. Anything can happen in the west. Sh!t, weren't they the only team that came close to beating SAS last season?

SupermanOnSteroids
12-24-2014, 12:43 AM
newly constructed team. lets give em some time

when firing on all cylinders, impossible to stop. but how often is that going to be? RC has a challenge in front of him.

Monta and Rondo could collide.

YouGotServed
12-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Stop overreacting, only 1/3rd of the season has passed. They just got Rondo, give them time to get acclimated with each other. Anything can happen in the west. Sh!t, weren't they the only team that came close to beating SAS last season?

Yeah, Dallas actually played defense last year. Old man Vince Carter plays better defense than Parsons. :lol

SCdac
12-24-2014, 12:53 AM
personally I think they're putting too much stock in Monta Ellis and Chandler Parsons. Both great players but I question their resiliency and reliability in the playoffs. Question their efficiency when the going gets tough. Dirk is Dirk, we know he's great, but he's aged and they can't exactly fall back on his defense if his shot is off in any given night. Tyson too seems a bit aged since his '11 Dallas or New Orleans days (w/ Paul and West). Rondo was a solid addition but I can see how him hitting his outside shots can kind of make or break Dallas' offense

DMAVS41
12-24-2014, 01:10 AM
You think they will cliff dive that bad?

We are 20-10.

I could definitely see us finishing with 47 wins and missing the playoffs. It's honestly about the Suns or Pelicans right now. If they continue to struggle we'll obviously make it.

We are 8-7 against the West and 12-3 against the East. And honestly the West record is a tad inflated because we beat the Spurs with nobodies and really haven't played any of the elite Western teams.

I heard a really smart guy on twitter talk this Mavs team was a title contender because of this logic:

They almost beat the Spurs last year and they added Tyson. That just isn't at all this team. Marion and Carter...Carter especially did a ****ing great job defensively and he created shots out of nothing all the time. Parsons just doesn't do that...at all.

Parsons/Dirk is just a hugely flawed pairing unless we had something like Bledsoe and Avery Bradley at the 1 and 2 with Tyson at center.

I'm all for the Rondo experiment because we weren't winning with what we had...and Wright was long gone in free agency anyway. Might as well move him and take a risk on a player like Rondo that I personally believe makes us better in the playoffs than Wright would.

Either way though...I remain very negative on this squad like I have since the summer.

Now, if we add another big and Rick gets these rotations down...I'll be more positive. But I'd like to see us with another big...and Aminu just has to get more burn than Jefferson. We badly need defense and rebounding and we just have to live with Aminu and Rondo taking wide open shots.

That would be my choice if I was coach. I'd run with Aminu a lot more...make sure he and Rondo just shoot when they are open...and I'd stop running Dirk with the 2nd unit. I'd run Parsons with the 2nd unit

StephHamann
12-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Another overreaction halleluja.

They changed the PG position in the middle of the season and Carisle has to fix the system cause of spacing problems.

January will be a tough month, hard schedule and new system. The record will go down to something like 55%, but February schedule is easier and the team will figure out a way to play with Rondo and JO (i assume he signs).

And who cares about the Playoffs now? The Spurs beat the Mavs like 10 times in a row, and in the Playoffs they got outplayed by freaking Dejuan Blair and nearly lost in the First Round.

I.R.Beast
12-24-2014, 02:04 AM
That was just a bad trade...they already had the number 1 ranked offense...why trade for rondo?...he's an offensive liability...how much better did they want their offense to get?.. Rondo is not a very good defensive player either... he gambles for steals doesnt really stick on ball defense very well. Now they thinned their bench out even more... just a horrible trade. Rondo is already stinking up their offense...

DMV2
12-24-2014, 02:07 AM
All Western Conference playoff teams are potentially 1st Round exit teams.

masonanddixon
12-24-2014, 02:49 AM
They will have it fixed by the All-Star break but right now the defense is terrible and they have played 3 games in 4 nights against tough competition.

I actually have them making at least the WCF this season. It's too tough to bet against Dirk+ Monta and Carlisle plus some nice pieces in the Chandler brothers and Rondo.

UK2K
12-24-2014, 05:25 AM
That was just a bad trade...they already had the number 1 ranked offense...why trade for rondo?...he's an offensive liability...how much better did they want their offense to get?.. Rondo is not a very good defensive player either... he gambles for steals doesnt really stick on ball defense very well. Now they thinned their bench out even more... just a horrible trade. Rondo is already stinking up their offense...
Because their defense was horrid.

I don't think Rondo was added to improve the offense.

DMAVS41
12-24-2014, 06:17 AM

Because our guard defense/rebounding/playmaking was really bad...and because Wright was gone in free agency.

If all that matters is trying to win a title (which it does for the Mavs)...then not making this move is actually really stupid.

I think the problem is that almost everyone...including some guys that really know the game...have absurdly over-rated the Mavs start (inflated record and differential based on a really easy schedule) and have greatly exaggerated the impact of Wright in a playoff series against another really good team.

Wright is a guy that will feast on regular season scrub teams, but really struggles in the playoffs because he has a low bball IQ, doesn't play good defense in the post or in the zone, and has no offensive go-to moves.

andremiller07
12-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Because our guard defense/rebounding/playmaking was really bad...and because Wright was gone in free agency.

If all that matters is trying to win a title (which it does for the Mavs)...then not making this move is actually really stupid.

I think the problem is that almost everyone...including some guys that really know the game...have absurdly over-rated the Mavs start (inflated record and differential based on a really easy schedule) and have greatly exaggerated the impact of Wright in a playoff series against another really good team.

Wright is a guy that will feast on regular season scrub teams, but really struggles in the playoffs because he has a low bball IQ, doesn't play good defense in the post or in the zone, and has no offensive go-to moves.
The thing is Jameer and Wright created more easy points together than Rondo will imo. Even thought statistically Jameer was having a shitty season shooting he had great chemistry with Wright and Chandler who both prefer lob passes. Jameer is also a guy who didn't need to dominate the ball to set up his teammates like Rondo does.

Wrights ability to roll to the rim with the 2nd unit actually created so many shot chances since teams either had to give up the open alley hoop or leave a shooter wide open.

Greg Smith and Charlie V along with a undersize Aminu backing up Dirk and Tyson is asking to get slayed.

Rondo is not what he was and in the last 2 seasons really did nothing to make Boston a better team. Deron Williams if he didn't have a insane contract would have actually been a better fit but sadly his contract didn't allow for a trade.

UK2K
12-24-2014, 06:35 AM
The thing is Jameer and Wright created more easy points together than Rondo will imo. Even thought statistically Jameer was having a shitty season shooting he had great chemistry with Wright and Chandler who both prefer lob passes. Jameer is also a guy who didn't need to dominate the ball to set up his teammates like Rondo does.

Wrights ability to roll to the rim with the 2nd unit actually created so many shot chances since teams either had to give up the open alley hoop or leave a shooter wide open.

Greg Smith and Charlie V along with a undersize Aminu backing up Dirk and Tyson is asking to get slayed.

Rondo is not what he was and in the last 2 seasons really did nothing to make Boston a better team. Deron Williams if he didn't have a insane contract would have actually been a better fit but sadly his contract didn't allow for a trade.
As the Celtics are getting blown out by 30 against Orlando without him.

andremiller07
12-24-2014, 06:37 AM
As the Celtics are getting blown out by 30 against Orlando without him.
What's there W/L when Rondo played and when Rondo didn't since the big 3 got traded?

Even the year Rondo got hurt with KG/PP didn't the Celtics go on to have a better record with him out?

Rondo got destroyed by a German version of him in his 2nd year and the Mavs needed Monta to go hero mode to beat a Spurs team missing half the roster.

ProfessorMurder
12-24-2014, 06:47 AM
What's there W/L when Rondo played and when Rondo didn't since the big 3 got traded?
Regardless of the answer it's unfair to judge a guy coming off an ACL on a tanking team. They looked like absolute shit when he wasn't in the game.

Rondo has been good on the Mavs. He's getting Charlie V and RJ buckets, he's throwing great passes. It will only improve when he knows where guys like to catch. His defense is solid and he was even looking to score a bit tonight.

The Mavs' problem is that Tyson can't protect the rim when everyone on the perimeter is getting blown by. He has to help and nobody is rotating to help him. Dirk and Parsons on the floor together does not look good for defense to me at all.

He wasn't torched by Schroder either. Life half of his points were scored on Dirk and RJ.

andremiller07
12-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Regardless of the answer it's unfair to judge a guy coming off an ACL on a tanking team. They looked like absolute shit when he wasn't in the game.

Rondo has been good on the Mavs. He's getting Charlie V and RJ buckets, he's throwing great passes. It will only improve when he knows where guys like to catch. His defense is solid and he was even looking to score a bit tonight.

The Mavs' problem is that Tyson can't protect the rim when everyone on the perimeter is getting blown by. He has to help and nobody is rotating to help him. Dirk and Parsons on the floor together does not look good for defense to me at all.
Ok fair enough with you can't judge him coming of ACL

But he got destroyed by German Rondo and he didn't look impressive against the Spurs had it not been a ridiculous Monta out burst in the 4th that was a L as well.

I enjoyed watching the Mavericks when they had Wright and Jameer maybe I'm just being to salty about it, they were like my #2 team to watch.

Jyap9675
12-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Not a fan of the rondo trade, they should've just focused on Ellis being the main ball handler and scorer and should've got a bigger guard that can guard the opposing 2's, pass, and knock down the open 3.

Sharmer
12-24-2014, 07:46 AM
It would be too earlier to project a early exit to the Mavs. There is no real evidence to indicate that Mavs will lose in the first round. If anything such a projection would be inconsistent with recent roster changes.

keep-itreal
12-24-2014, 08:00 AM
They are absolutely ****ed with this trade.

They only have Tyson Chandler left for a center. Teams like Grizzlies, Trailblazers, and Rockets will kill the Mavs.

Rondo can't shoot. Every other good western team have point guards that can shoot lights out. Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard., Mike Conley.

They got beat by the hawks, embarrassing. And then they barely beat a Spurs team with only roleplayers.

StephHamann
12-24-2014, 08:10 AM

They only have Tyson Chandler left for a center. Teams like Grizzlies, Trailblazers, and Rockets will kill the Mavs.

Rondo can't shoot. Every other good western team have point guards that can shoot lights out. Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard., Mike Conley.

They got beat by the hawks, embarrassing. And then they barely beat a Spurs team with only roleplayers.

Rondo is 6 days here. 6 days! They barely had practise together because of back to backs and Nelson said http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12073917/dallas-mavericks-president-donnie-nelson-confident-team-land-jermaine-oneal-josh-smith today either JO or Smoove will come to the Mavs so they have 1 more big body to replace Wright.

Give them time god damn. :facepalm

andremiller07
12-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Why didn't the Mavs just start Devin Harris (he's a better defender and shooter than Rondo)?

He's a excellent defender even at this point of his career and he's like a 40% shooter from 3 who does not dominate the ball. They could have package some of there other players/guards to get something else they needed.

keep-itreal
12-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Rondo is 6 days here. 6 days! They barely had practise together because of back to backs and Nelson said http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12073917/dallas-mavericks-president-donnie-nelson-confident-team-land-jermaine-oneal-josh-smith today either JO or Smoove will come to the Mavs so they have 1 more big body to replace Wright.

Give them time god damn. :facepalm
:roll:

@ replacing Wright with either a 36 year old Center whose legs could break just about any day or a low iq 4 who chucks 3's all day.

UK2K
12-24-2014, 08:17 AM

As the one poster pointed out, Rondo has been a Mav for a whole seven days.

But as another poster pointed out, they weren't going to win with the roster they had, so it only made sense for them to make a move and hope it pans out. Its not like they have a 5 year window. Give him some time. I will judge the trade come April.

Houston is in the same position with Josh Smith. As constructed, Houston probably isn't winning a title, so why not gamble on a move and hope its enough to put you over the top?

StephHamann
12-24-2014, 08:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DikLWlW.png

Wright is so good WOW and his lockdown defense

:bowdown:

keep-itreal
12-24-2014, 08:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DikLWlW.png

Wright is so good WOW and his lockdown defense

:bowdown:
:roll:

Praising a player who's not even on your team yet, lmao being this desperate. Stay delusional, retard

StephHamann
12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm not praising Jermaine, but an one legged 35 year old washed up Jermaine was putting up nearly identical numbers. You could replace Wright with 50 players that could give you the same impact.

keep-itreal
12-24-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm not praising Jermaine, but an one legged 35 year old washed up Jermaine was putting up nearly identical numbers. You could replace Wright with 50 players that could give you the same impact.

so you rather have a 35 year old center on the verge of retirement than a younger center when they both have the same stats?

You're the same retards who think big name players automatically makes them better than anything else, oh just like the Rondo trade:roll:

StephHamann
12-24-2014, 08:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QtZRBPD.png

MellowYellow
12-24-2014, 09:03 AM

In what country are those numbers identical? Wright was shooting 17% better from the field.

DMAVS41
12-24-2014, 10:53 AM

I agree with much of this.

Again though. No chance to win with old roster and Wright is gone in free agency. If you concede the no chance to win as we were... Which you definitely should....

We traded Jameer/Crowder for Rondo on an expiring contract. Where is the big risk?

And if we add a decent big... It only makes it even more of a no brainer.

CelticBaller
12-24-2014, 12:41 PM
so you rather have a 35 year old center on the verge of retirement than a younger center when they both have the same stats?

You're the same retards who think big name players automatically makes them better than anything else, oh just like the Rondo trade:roll:
If a 35 year old center can duplicate wright's number, it tells you how replaceable he is

is that simple

CelticBaller
12-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Not a fan of the rondo trade, they should've just focused on Ellis being the main ball handler and scorer and should've got a bigger guard that can guard the opposing 2's, pass, and knock down the open 3.
ellis is putting the same stats with rondo

You act like Ellis can't play off the ball :facepalm