PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Josh Smith to the Rockets

HomieWeMajor
12-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Josh Smith has committed to signing with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He clears waivers at 5 PM today.
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/547814449927970816

More: Rockets will sign Josh Smith (http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=16996)

Nash
12-24-2014, 02:13 PM
So..

-another chucker for the rockets
-worst possible stretch 4
-hinder D-Mo's development

but great contract and more paint protection.

SCdac
12-24-2014, 02:17 PM
here come the 3's

Genaro
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Let's see how this turns out, it's worth the chance since T Jones is out and they'll pay him so little but it may not working spacing wise.

sbw19
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Expected given rumors. Good pick up. If he gives them quality 15-20mins off the bench he's worth the risk.

hawkfan
12-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Good move by Rockets.
On offense, he's the third option, so less pressure on him.
On defense, he gets Howard to help him out. And Beverly should benefit having Smith and Howard defending the rim.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
12-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Expected given rumors. Good pick up. If he gives them quality 15-20mins off the bench he's worth the risk.

they already told smith he would start..

Sakkreth
12-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Fcking rockets trade D-Mo then...

Smook A.
12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
At first I hated the fact that we were insterested in Josh Smith, but then I realized that we're only going to pay him 2 mill. If he can rejuvenate himself here in Houston and return to his Atlanta form, then that'll be GREAT. Plus he'll get to play hid normal position, Power Forward, again. Low risk, high reward signing.

Le Shaqtus
12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Wow this is a very bad idea, Smith could f*ck up everything. The Rockets are really good right now.

sbw19
12-24-2014, 02:26 PM
they already told smith he would start..
Huh. Plot thickens..

MP.Trey
12-24-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm not convinced that Smith can be a net positive to any team but if any team is going to take a risk, might as well be the Rockets. They're not going anywhere in the playoffs without some more talent and if Smith can smarten up and be even slightly competent on offense while providing the solid defense he usually does, then it may be worth the risk.

Kidbasketball20
12-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Shocked at the lack of positivity.

This is a phenomenal pickup for the Rox given their lack of depth.

GimmeThat
12-24-2014, 02:31 PM
at least for this season
They should consider the possibility of running him at the 5 for limited amount of minutes, so Dwight gets to run with a second unit more

ZeN
12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
at least for this season
They should consider the possibility of running him at the 5 for limited amount of minutes, so Dwight gets to run with a second unit more

:biggums:

tontoz
12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
If Josh Smith could smarten up he wouldn't be Josh Smith. :lol

Curious to see how this turns out. Howard/Harden will have to lay down the law because we know McFail won't.

russwest0
12-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Darryl Morey GM's like he's playing NBA 2K.

And Houston Rockets fans stupidly support this bullshit because they get to see more big names come in every year and shit.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Wow I don't like it. D-Mo to the bench now? F*ck that noise.

hawkfan
Howard-Smith-Ariza-Beverly - very strong on defense.

kshutts1

And Houston Rockets fans stupidly support this bullshit because they get to see more big names come in every year and shit.
Daryl Morey GMs like a genius. He got a 10-15m a year talent at only 2m.

Whether or not the talent turns out to be productive is another story, but I'm a little scared. If Smith works out and plays like he did two years ago in ATL, league better watch out.

Edit: Basically, you can't teach natural skill and ability. So long as you pay that person based upon performance (or lackthereof) and NOT potential, then it's a good gamble.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Howard-Smith-Ariza-Beverly - very strong on defense.
if smith gets his shit together it will be. but currently, no.

fragokota
12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Can we say that all 3 Texan teams are the most stacked in the NBA at this point?

KungFuJoe
12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
There's not enough chemo in the world to fight the cancer on this team.

hawkfan
12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
if smith gets his shit together it will be. but currently, no.

Bad situation in Detroit.
Fresh start in Houston.
If Harden played defense, Houston could be the best defensive team in the league.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Stop your autism son. Smith is the only cancer.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Fresh start in Houston.
If Harden played defense, Houston could be the best defensive team in the league.
We'll see. Still don't like it.

Smook A.
12-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Lol we're only paying him 2 million. Low risk, high award. If he plays like shit, we can simply just bench his ass

hawkfan
12-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Lol we're only paying him 2 million. Low risk, high award. If he plays like shit, we can simply just bench his ass

Or release him.
So no risk for Houston.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 02:57 PM
It's bad form if he starts over D-Mo though. That's so stupid.

russwest0
12-24-2014, 02:57 PM

he only chose Houston cause he was guaranteed a starting spot, regardless of if he comes in and deserves it or not.

pickups like that are stupid as **** for me.

AirFederer
12-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Meh.

What do they have to pay him?

L.Kizzle
12-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Damn, wish my job would only pay me 2 milli.

I don't like the move, hopefully it works out.

rezznor
12-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Donuts can anchor the 5 for the second unit. He will eat other benches up. Smith won't have the ball in his hands as much as he did in Detroit. We don't need him to score 15 inefficient points. Just play D, grab boards and run the fast break.

L.Kizzle
12-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Donuts can anchor the 5 for the second unit. He will eat other benches up. Smith won't have the ball in his hands as much as he did in Detroit. We don't need him to score 15 inefficient points. Just play D, grab boards and run the fast break.
But his brain is programmed otherwise. He's still gonna do him.

Chuck 3's on the perimeter. Antoine Walter Jr.

jayfan
12-24-2014, 03:07 PM
At first I hated the fact that we were insterested in Josh Smith, but then I realized that we're only going to pay him 2 mill. If he can rejuvenate himself here in Houston and return to his Atlanta form, then that'll be GREAT. Plus he'll get to play hid normal position, Power Forward, again. Low risk, high reward signing.

He's been playing power forward most of the season. Good luck.

magmo68
12-24-2014, 03:08 PM
I knew it

longtime lurker
12-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Wow this is a very bad idea, Smith could f*ck up everything. The Rockets are really good right now.

Lol exactly. Great regular season move but I look forward to Smith ****ing up the Rockets in the playoffs

Qwyjibo
12-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Too bad. I was hoping he'd go to an East team to ruin them.

The East just got a little bit better.

Le Shaqtus
12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
It's bad form if he starts over D-Mo though. That's so stupid.

If he starts, Howard and Harden can keep him in check, but if he comes off the bench with the second unit he's liable to just chuck shots like he usually does.

Either way D-Mo is screwed because his minutes will go down.

rezznor
12-24-2014, 03:20 PM
But his brain is programmed otherwise. He's still gonna do him.

Chuck 3's on the perimeter. Antoine Walter Jr.
Yea, but he won't have as many opportunities to do that here. Either way, he only costs 2 million. Worth the risk to see how he fits.

Think of it this way: is Smith better then dorsey/black? Of course he is and all we lose is one if them so it's a net positive.

tontoz
12-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Idiotic post. His job is to win games and he has done consistently.

He didn't luck into an MVP the way OKC did. He inherited two franchise players and lost both due to career ending injuries. In spite of that he has never had a losing record.

Dro
12-24-2014, 03:23 PM
I think its a good move for Houston, now they have 2 rim protectors. Harden handles the ball a lot so hopefully that means less of Josh handling it.....

navy
12-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Fresh start in Houston.
:coleman:

russwest0
12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
:coleman:

stop with this shit. anyone who thinks Harden is a reliable defender now is a clown.

russwest0
12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Idiotic post. His job is to win games and he has done consistently.

He didn't luck into an MVP the way OKC did. He inherited two franchise players and lost both due to career ending injuries. In spite of that he has never had a losing record.

okay, so he should get props for first round exits year after year?

**** that. as a GM your only job is to a win a championship. period.

La Frescobaldi
12-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I've been smashing hard on Smith but let's see how this rolls it could actually be good

KungFuJoe
12-24-2014, 03:28 PM
stop with this shit. anyone who thinks Harden is a reliable defender now is a clown.

This.

He just went from atrocious to below average.

rezznor
12-24-2014, 03:28 PM

If that's the case then your GM is a failure as well

KungFuJoe
12-24-2014, 03:29 PM
How many threes is smith going to chuck in the rockets three-happy offense?

Like a kid in a candy store. Or django unchained.

Mr Exlax
12-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Morey out there making shit happen. I thought this season was a waste since we couldn't land any of the top free agents, but Morey picked up and made moves that helped us out for sure. Hate him if you want. He doing his thing.

KungFuJoe
12-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Morey out there making shit happen.

Best post you've ever made.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Your ass is so butthurt that Rin got abandoned and can't even start on a shitty team :roll:

tontoz
12-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Then OKCs GM sucks too.

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 03:38 PM
This.

DRPM for SGs with 30+ minutes
Klay Thompson 2.12
Danny Green 1.82
James Harden 1.37

KungFuJoe
12-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Your ass is so butthurt that Rin got abandoned and can't even start on a shitty team :roll:

Rin? That's original.

All of a sudden you're a Houston expert because you jumped bandwagons this season?

There are many truths when it comes to Houston.

McHale is a shitty coach
Dwight is a clown
Morey manages his team like he's playing nba2k

noob cake
12-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Dwight
Smith
Ariza
Brewer
Beverly

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Morey has done it. #2 defense will soon become #1.

imnew09
12-24-2014, 03:41 PM
What a fken pick up. Smith still got it just that he had no ambition playing with Detroit.

Stacked af

Ariza4three
12-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Rin? That's original.

All of a sudden you're a Houston expert because you jumped bandwagons this season?

There are many truths when it comes to Houston.

McHale is a shitty coach
Dwight is a clown
Morey manages his team like he's playing nba2k
Good analysis. AKA You don't know jack shit as usual. Keep watching Ronnie Price outplay your boy in LA. Let the big kids talk basketball.

Mr Exlax
12-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Thank you Based Go..... Based Morey!!!

YouGotServed
12-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Good signing. If Josh Smith doesn't work out we could just not play him and let him go afterwards. lol

Nothing to lose for Houston. Could be a sick defensive line up for Houston too.

Mr Exlax
12-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Smith > Lin

jayfan
12-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Houston assured Smith that he'd start. Good luck keeping the ball out of his hands.

L.Kizzle
12-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Houston assured Smith that he'd start. Good luck keeping the ball out of his hands.

I can see him waiving off Harden, than taking a fade-away 3 pointer.

Rooster
12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
It's a risk worth taking. On paper he's a good fit. If he can play to his strengths then he will contribute and thrived on his role. By now with that humbling experience , he should know that he's a role player.

jayfan
12-24-2014, 03:54 PM

No doubt that will happen.

I'll say this for Smith, he is a good passer. He just needs to be more of that mindset more often.

rezznor
12-24-2014, 03:56 PM
If he does that then he gets benched no problem

Tarik One
12-24-2014, 03:56 PM
It's a risk worth taking. On paper he's a good fit. If he can play to his strengths then he will contribute and thrived on his role. By now with that humbling experience , he should know that he's a role player.
Exactly. It's not as if they were hurting before his arrival. If Smith causes a disruption, there's the bench. As another posted stated, low-risk, high-reward.

el gringos
12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Great signing. He has needed an opportunity to not be the best or 1b player on the team. He has a lot of skills that would help any team. He will help Houston a lot.

UK2K
12-24-2014, 05:25 PM
If Dwight defers to Harden, I doubt Smith shows up on day 1 and thinks he's the best player.

If he wants to be a dick, they can release him, no harm no foul.

Win/win

Batzman
12-24-2014, 05:27 PM
This.

He went from absolutely ****ing atrocious WOAT to atrocious.

bdreason
12-24-2014, 05:33 PM
I thought he said he only wanted to sign with a contender? :confusedshrug:

disel
12-24-2014, 06:14 PM
garbage

COnDEMnED
12-24-2014, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/547814449927970816

More: Rockets will sign Josh Smith (http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=16996)
This will truly drop the Rockets a few seeds before the playoffs, I like it. Good job Houston. LOL.:facepalm

disel
12-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Smith > Lin
my left nut is betta then that scrub lin.When you get outplayed by Ronnie price my man, ya know you got no hope.Dat cat will be riding benches for a while

Big Cheese
12-24-2014, 07:23 PM
LOL I love it for houston. Cant wait for the implosion :rockon:

bigt
12-24-2014, 07:33 PM
For the price it's a fantastic move. If he starts screwing up, they just have to bench him, but there's enough time in the season for him to learn how to play with the team and Houston weren't going to win a championship without some additional moves. I don't believe it's enough yet, but it's a step in the right direction. For $2 million you don't want to pass on a guy who could be as valuable as Smith could be if he plays with his head on straight

jamal99
12-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Does he get Detroit contract money regardless if he signs elsewhere?

Rooster
12-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Does he get Detroit contract money regardless if he signs elsewhere?

I think so. He's not Amnesty player. Otherwise no team would have paid more than the minimum.

jamal99
12-24-2014, 08:39 PM
I think so. He's not Amnesty player. Otherwise no team would have paid more than the minimum.
I don't quite understand your logic here, but he probably does get Detroit $. He'd probably sit this one out if he's getting olny 2 mill from Rockets...

Rooster
12-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't quite understand your logic here, but he probably does get Detroit $. He'd probably sit this one out if he's getting olny 2 mill from Rockets...

he got waived so of course he would still be getting that contract from Detroit plus what he's getting at Houston now. If you get amnestied you will get the same total amount so it's useless for teams to offer more than the minimum.

UK2K
12-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Houston could sign Lebron and ISH would say it was a bad move.

Dude is the low post defender we need. Hes the rebounder we need. He'll do a hell of a better job defending Griffin, Aldridge, Ibaka, Duncan than D Mo or Jones would.

Great move. No risk, all reward.

Euroleague
12-24-2014, 08:52 PM
The stupidity here is unbelievable. Motiejunas is so soft it is painful to watch. The Rockets don't stand a snow ball's chance in hell of winning a playoff series with him as a starting PF.

Of course this is a good move, if it puts his ass on the bench.

Some of the comments here are just ridiculous.

navy
12-24-2014, 09:01 PM
The stupidity here is unbelievable. Motiejunas is so soft it is painful to watch. The Rockets don't stand a snow ball's chance in hell of winning a playoff series with him as a starting PF.

Of course this is a good move, if it puts his ass on the bench.

Some of the comments here are just ridiculous.
Terrence Jones is the starter, he's just injured.

Euroleague
12-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Terrence Jones is the starter, he's just injured.

You think they stand a chance in hell of winning in the playoffs with Jones as the starter?

Anyway, the thing this really does is help their depth and their bench.

Houston has about the worst depth of any team in the entire NBA. Their bench is absolutely horrific.

Morey is the most overrated GM in North American sports history, but at least he grasps how pathetic their bench is (probably Mchale is telling him every day how awful it is) and he is trying to make it better.

You put Motiejunas to the bench, and then you add some help like Brewer, and then you limit the minutes of Papanikolaou, or maybe don't even play him at all, same with scrub Garcia, or whatever, and maybe you have some kind of bench. It also gives you an alternate option at 5 position with more size and some scoring with Motiejunas, instead of just someone like Dorsey.

Where before it was the worst bench I have seen in the NBA ever. At least now it would be something actually resembling a bench unit.

La Frescobaldi
12-24-2014, 09:48 PM
You think they stand a chance in hell of winning in the playoffs with Jones as the starter?

Houston has about the worst depth of any team in the entire NBA. Their bench is absolutely horrific.

Morey is the most overrated GM in North American sports history, but at least he grasps how pathetic their bench is (probably Mchale is telling him every day how awful it is) and he is trying to make it better.

You put Motiejunas to the bench, and then you add some help like Brewer, and then you limit the minutes of Papanikolaou, or maybe don't even play him at all, same with scrub Garcia, or whatever, and maybe you have some kind of bench. It also gives you an alternate option at 5 position with more size and some scoring with Motiejunas, instead of just someone like Dorsey.

Where before it was the worst bench I have seen in the NBA ever. At least now it would be something actually resembling a bench unit.

Have you ever been to Europe my friend?

btw ~ did you ever answer this?

btw ~ still waiting to hear from you!!

btw ~ did you ever answer this?

UK2K
12-24-2014, 10:15 PM

I agreed with you until you said the rockets shouldn't play Papa.

6,4,3 in 25 mins in his first season is solid for a back up 3.

Hotlantadude81
12-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Dwight
Smith
Ariza
Brewer
Beverly

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Morey has done it. #2 defense will soon become #1.

What a horrible shooting team that is.

Detroit
12-24-2014, 11:51 PM
http://nerdbacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Smash-TV-5.jpg

GOOD LUCK! YOU'LL NEED IT!

buddha
12-24-2014, 11:56 PM
who cares about the Rockets bench? Harden, Howard and Beverley will all be playing 40 minutes a game in the playoffs.

disel
12-24-2014, 11:57 PM
howard is going crazy he got his hood buddy.

disel
12-24-2014, 11:59 PM

Garcia? I thought that cat was waived?

JohnFreeman
12-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Rockets not making wcf anyway

rezznor
12-25-2014, 12:15 AM
who cares about the Rockets bench? Harden, Howard and Beverley will all be playing 40 minutes a game in the playoffs.
the bench help keep the starters fresh and healthy for the playoffs dummy

Nash-tastic
12-25-2014, 05:20 AM
Don't see how anyone can hate this. Low risk HIGH reward IMO

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 09:12 AM
This gives us the flexibility to make a move down the line that might include either DMO or Jones.We get a great weakside help defender, a good rebounder and a solid rim protector to go with Dwight.

This also allows Dmo to dominate the touches upfront in the second unit. With Dwight Dmos touches do go down but a the leader of the second unit we can give him 25 to 28 minutes and 10 to 15 shot in the second unit and we can play limit Dwights ailing body right now.

Dwight/DMO
Smith/Jones when he comes back
Ariza/Brewer/Pappanikola
Harden/Terry
Beverley/Shved/Cannan

A second unit of Brewer, Jones, DMO,Terry, Shved and Pappanikola is deep as anyone right now.

el gringos
12-25-2014, 09:42 AM
This gives us the flexibility to make a move down the line that might include either DMO or Jones.We get a great weakside help defender, a good rebounder and a solid rim protector to go with Dwight.

This also allows Dmo to dominate the touches upfront in the second unit. With Dwight Dmos touches do go down but a the leader of the second unit we can give him 25 to 28 minutes and 10 to 15 shot in the second unit and we can play limit Dwights ailing body right now.

Dwight/DMO
Smith/Jones when he comes back
Ariza/Brewer/Pappanikola
Harden/Terry
Beverley/Shved/Cannan

A second unit of Brewer, Jones, DMO,Terry, Shved and Pappanikola is deep as anyone right now.
I didn't even know shved and brewer trade happened. Yeah they went from a terrible bench to IMO an above average bench with 2nd round picks and a great cheap signing of smith

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Pretty much got Ariza for 7 million, Brewer for 4 and Josh Smith for 2 while Parsons is making 14 million by himself this season.That is one million more then those 3 combined.We also turned Lin' TPE into Shved and Brewer which is a in it self is a bargin and a major upgrade.

Our depth is a lot better then last season and our starting lineup is much better on defense and balanced on offense.We still have that New Orleans pick and a few big to throw the Suns way for Dragic.

SexSymbol
12-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Motiejunas is twice as good as Smith, and he'll lose the starting job for that fakkit.
He need to get out of there ASAP, McHale is one of the worst coaches ever and Rockets are one of the worst organizations ever. Just pure losers, it's that much more admirable, what Hakeem managed to do in those two years when you see shit like this happening

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Motiejunas is twice as good as Smith, and he'll lose the starting job for that fakkit.
He need to get out of there ASAP, McHale is one of the worst coaches ever and Rockets are one of the worst organizations ever. Just pure losers, it's that much more admirable, what Hakeem managed to do in those two years when you see shit like this happening
If anything DMO will get more touches with the second unit and his offensive production will spike. He will still get the minute he is getting now but will probably get more touches and shots as the main scorer of the second unit.

Calm down and think.

ImKobe
12-25-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm going to pee my pants watching them give Smith the ball behind the arc 5-10 times a game with him bricking 70% of them.

Mr Exlax
12-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm going to pee my pants watching them give Smith the ball behind the arc 5-10 times a game with him bricking 70% of them.

He'd be shooting like Bean this season then

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Did you read Wojnarowskis article? the Rockets have already told Smith that he needs to get back in the post and attack the basket. no more long range shot if he wants to be respected again.Harden throws some of the best pick and roll and allyoop passes in the league and that in itself will help him.

noob cake
12-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Mavs gets Smith -> Mavs stacked.

Rockets gets Smith -> Rockets ruined.

:lol :lol :lol

ImKobe
12-25-2014, 10:22 AM
He'd be shooting like Bean this season then

But the difference will be that Smith's 3pters will all be assisted and open and he'll still brick em while Bean pulls up from 30

Did you read Wojnarowskis article? the Rockets have already told Smith that he needs to get back in the post and attack the basket. no more long range shot if he wants to be respected again.Harden throws some of the best pick and roll and allyoop passes in the league and that in itself will help him.

He will get some nice transition opportunities but there's no way they are going to elminate him shooting 3s when they keep leaving him wide open all game. Smith is not a post player. He was like 30% in the post in Detroit, he was actually more efficient shooting long 2s from the top of the key :lebronamazed:

noob cake
12-25-2014, 10:24 AM
But the difference will be that Smith's 3pters will all be assisted and open and he'll still brick em while Bean pulls up from 30

He will get some nice transition opportunities but there's no way they are going to elminate him shooting 3s when they keep leaving him wide open all game. Smith is not a post player.

A brick is a brick. Beanstans defending pull up contested jumpers now.

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 10:25 AM

The Rondo thing has me believing that he and Ellis who needs the ball to be effective much like Rondo has a long way to go before some clarity on that situation can be found. This Is why I never liked the idea of Rondo with Harden.

Goran Dragic is terrific on and off the ball and can play both positions. Much better fit if we go down that road.

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 10:30 AM

He will get some nice transition opportunities but there's no way they are going to elminate him shooting 3s when they keep leaving him wide open all game. Smith is not a post player. He was like 30% in the post in Detroit, he was actually more efficient shooting long 2s from the top of the key :lebronamazed:
He actually has a pretty good % with the corner 3' and that is the spot the Rockets like to shoot it most of the time because it supposedly is the most productive spot to shoot the 3 from on the floor.I could live with 1 or 2 attempt at most as long as he gets back to playing help defense/protecting the rim and attacking the rim on offense like in Atlanta..

UK2K
12-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Lol isn't that the truth

dunksby
12-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Smith better play his ass off, who knows maybe getting waived has fired him up.

StephHamann
12-25-2014, 10:51 AM

:whatever:

Best case scenario: Smoove gives you 10 PPG on 50%fg not chucking threes, 5 rebounds 1 block and decent defense in 20 min.

worst case scenario: he is a teamcancer gets benched and waived after the season and creates lockerroom issues ala Pacers last season.

high risk high reward scenario, Dallas Houston Miami doesn't matter

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 11:13 AM
I don't think we are looking for him to score anything more then 11 or 12 and 8 or 9 boards at most. The biggest reason we got him is to play defense against the more super agile PF's like Aldridge who carved us up last Season in the playoffs.Jones and DMO jut cant go with those guys granted Dmo's interior defense has been fantastic and will shore us up off the bench when Dwight Is sitting.

We need someone like him to matchup on the Ibakas the Aldridge and the Randolph's of the west.Houston with Dwight, Smith, Dmo and Jones is loaded upfront with interior defense/offense.That is 4 quality starting calibare bigs to go against the Blazers and the Grizzlies of the West and the NBA.

UK2K
12-25-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't think we are looking for him to score anything more then 11 or 12 and 8 or 9 boards at most. The biggest reason we got him is to play defene with the bigger against the super agile PF's like Aldridge who carved us up last Season in the playoffs.Jones and DMO jut cant go with those guys granted Dmo's interior defense has been fantastic and will shore us up off the bench when Dwight Is sitting.

We need someone like him to matchup on the Ibakas the Aldridge and the Randolph's of the west.Houston with Dwight, Smith, Dmo and Jones is loaded upfront with interior defense/offense.That is 4 quality starting calibare bigs to go against the Blazers and the Grizzlies of the West and the NBA.
Right. I don't really care if he scores 16 or 10. Give me defense.

That Aldridge spectacular against Jones in the playoffs last year was sickening.

ronnymac
12-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Right. I don't really care if he scores 16 or 10. Give me defense.

That Aldridge spectacular against Jones in the playoffs last year was sickening.
Had we had someone who could even slow Aldridge to a mortal standard level we probablywould have won that series despite Hardens terrible output. Personally I think losing that series has motivated Harden into becoming a much, much better allround player today.

ronnymac
12-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Traik Black waived and Smith signed and should play tonight

MiseryCityTexas
12-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Stopped reading after the bolded SMH. That statement is almost laughable.:oldlol:

MiseryCityTexas
12-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Don't see how anyone can hate this. Low risk HIGH reward IMO

People are hating on this signing just because it's the Houston Rockets SMH.

SwishSquared
12-26-2014, 05:39 PM
I read that it was potentially possible for the Rox to not waive Black had Smith taken ~$65K less. They'd still need to open a roster spot, but could have accomplished that by assigning somebody to the D-League. Something about HOU needing to duck the luxury tax or something. If somebody could better explain that, I'd appreciate it.

L.Kizzle
12-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Traik Black waived and Smith signed and should play tonight
Damn, Tarik Black was the next Chuck Hayes.

rezznor
12-26-2014, 05:49 PM
I read that it was potentially possible for the Rox to not waive Black had Smith taken ~$65K less. They'd still need to open a roster spot, but could have accomplished that by assigning somebody to the D-League. Something about HOU needing to duck the luxury tax or something. If somebody could better explain that, I'd appreciate it.
i read that he still counts towards the roster even if sent to the vipers

SwishSquared
12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
i read that he still counts towards the roster even if sent to the vipers
Thank you for the clarification! Looks like I had misread some things.

rezznor
12-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Thank you for the clarification! Looks like I had misread some things.
np. would be nice to keep him but it makes sense, otherwise it's an easy loophole to exploit.

KungFuJoe
12-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Rockets waived Black for Smith?

Who's backing up Dwight?

rezznor
12-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Rockets waived Black for Smith?

Who's backing up Dwight?
donuts/dorsey

UK2K
12-26-2014, 08:31 PM
I think he'll be a great fit.

We will see.

ralph_i_el
12-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Might as well take a chance on him. If he's motivated, he's going to make the Rockets impossible to score on.

could be cool:confusedshrug:

UK2K
12-27-2014, 12:02 AM
First test was a success.

So far so good.

ronnymac
12-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Besides a couple of rash shots, most of his shots came close to the basket after a rough 2-8 start. I think once he started playing off Harden and cutting to the basket everytime Harden attacked and he actually got a lot of his points that way off some sweet Harden dishes..

That is what will make him a much better player with us is Hardens ability to find and get Smith open looks close to the hoop. On defense he was very solid and was huge in OT including a big block. His offensive boards and hitting those two free throws to put us up by 4 was key as well.

Now we will see how consistent he can be.

Euroleague
12-27-2014, 12:34 AM

Oh please. Motiejunas has plenty of talent, but he's a mega softie. He has the David Andersen disease, only worse. He's not even as good as freaking Jankunas.

And if you really are from Lithuania.....how the hell could you just now know about how the Rockets treat European players anyway? They royally screwed the best player in Europe in Spanoulis and you think they are going to give Motiejunas (who is nothing more than a role player in any big Euroleague team) special treatement?

WTF are you smoking? The Rockets are known all over Europe as being one of the worst possible places for any European player to play. Why do you think they had to literally beg Papanikolaou (nothing more than a Euroleague role player himself) to play there and then overpay him by an absurd amount? Why do you think Llull absolutely refuses to play there under any circumstances whatsoever?

You just now realized this? Hell, they even screwed over Dragic.

konex
12-27-2014, 12:42 AM
Josh Smith suddenly looks decent when not surrounded by garbage players. What a surprise

hawkfan
12-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Josh Smith suddenly looks decent when not surrounded by garbage players. What a surprise

Exactly.
And McHale will help him develop.
Nice game for Josh.

La Frescobaldi
12-27-2014, 02:03 AM

did he look like he was back in form? I couldn't even watch Pistons it was just unbearable bad

comerb
12-27-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm impressed by how quickly he picked up on cutting to the basket when Harden drives. That's a really good combination and plays to the strength of both players.

All Net
12-27-2014, 04:13 AM
Very impressed last night

Milbuck
12-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Oh please. Motiejunas has plenty of talent, but he's a mega softie. He has the David Andersen disease, only worse. He's not even as good as freaking Jankunas.

And if you really are from Lithuania.....how the hell could you just now know about how the Rockets treat European players anyway? They royally screwed the best player in Europe in Spanoulis and you think they are going to give Motiejunas (who is nothing more than a role player in any big Euroleague team) special treatement?

WTF are you smoking? The Rockets are known all over Europe as being one of the worst possible places for any European player to play. Why do you think they had to literally beg Papanikolaou (nothing more than a Euroleague role player himself) to play there and then overpay him by an absurd amount? Why do you think Llull absolutely refuses to play there under any circumstances whatsoever?

Motiejunas is the 3rd greatest player in Euroleague history behind Giannis and Mirotic. What are you talking about?

navy
12-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Why does Euroleague hate Europeans who play in the nba?

Milbuck
12-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Why does Euroleague hate Europeans who play in the nba?
Because they play in the NBA :oldlol:

StephHamann
12-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Motiejunas is the 3rd greatest player in Euroleague history behind Giannis and Mirotic. What are you talking about?

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Bird

SexSymbol
12-27-2014, 07:33 AM

If u were from Europe, you'd know that Spanoulis was never considered the best player here, that' first of all.
Motiejunas has some character and some great balls, he ain't soft.
It's been proven time and time again that you pretty much know nothing about european basketball, stick to NBA, rename yourself NBA, you'd probably have more supporters.
Ok ok, so going by your logic, the worst place for and european player in the NBA is where Motiejūnas shines. Shows good freaking good is he and how much better he can get.
He's a legit 20+ ppg scorer on at least half of the teams given the chance, it's just that McHale sucks as a coach, talent evaluator and has got his extension just because his daughter died while he was a rockets coach.

rezznor
12-27-2014, 08:32 AM
If u were from Europe, you'd know that Spanoulis was never considered the best player here, that' first of all.
Motiejunas has some character and some great balls, he ain't soft.
It's been proven time and time again that you pretty much know nothing about european basketball, stick to NBA, rename yourself NBA, you'd probably have more supporters.
Ok ok, so going by your logic, the worst place for and european player in the NBA is where Motiejūnas shines. Shows good freaking good is he and how much better he can get.
He's a legit 20+ ppg scorer on at least half of the teams given the chance, it's just that McHale sucks as a coach, talent evaluator and has got his extension just because his daughter died while he was a rockets coach.
also, if euro players hate houston so much why are they on dragic's potential list? he has already played there, obviously he likes something about the organization.

lets be real spanoulis was not nba caliber, houston wasnt the only team that dropped him.

Kiddlovesnets
12-27-2014, 10:30 AM
What a great pickup for the Rockets, they finally have a big-three now.

rezznor
12-27-2014, 02:20 PM
not yet

L.Kizzle
12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Murphy-Rudy T-Moses

Hakeem-Clyde-Charles

Yao-Mac-Artest

Harden-Dwight-Smith

GimmeThat
12-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Murphy-Rudy T-Moses

Hakeem-Clyde-Charles

Yao-Mac-Artest

Harden-Dwight-Smith

Stop flushing the minute players down the drain

meat
12-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Murphy-Rudy T-Moses

Hakeem-Clyde-Charles

Yao-Mac-Artest

Harden-Dwight-Smith

Uhh. I'm not sure you're proving whatever point you're trying to make.

rezznor
12-27-2014, 02:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6aRr9zhyM8#t=27

L.Kizzle
12-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Uhh. I'm not sure you're proving whatever point you're trying to make.
Just naming former Rocket Big 3's.

navy
12-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Hmm.....no.

ArbitraryWater
12-27-2014, 02:59 PM

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Bird

I dont get it?

tontoz
12-27-2014, 04:08 PM
1) Hakeem-Clyde-Charles

2)Yao-Mac-Artest

1) too old. Barkely didn't go to Houston until '96. Barkley was 33, Clyde and Hakeem were 34.

2) too injury prone