PDA

View Full Version : In terms of absolute numbers, more white people are killed by cops than black people

MavsSuperFan
12-24-2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/21/michael-medved/talk-show-host-police-kill-more-whites-blacks/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention keeps data on fatal injuries from 1999 to 2011 and one category is homicides by legal intervention. The term "legal intervention" covers any situation when a person dies at the hands of anyone authorized to use deadly force in the line of duty.

Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct.

However, Brian Forst, a professor in the Department of Justice, Law and Criminology at American University, said this difference is predictable.

"More whites are killed by the police than blacks primarily because whites outnumber blacks in the general population by more than five to one," Forst said. The country is about 63 percent white and 12 percent black.

Cops have killed almost twice as many white people as they have black people.

Now it should be noted that for every 1 black person there are 5 non-hispanic whites and 6 if you just classify white as we do in the census.

So any basic understanding of math will tell you that a disproportionately large amount of blacks are killed by cops but still the absolute number of whites killed by cops is almost double that of blacks.

Medved said that police kill more whites than blacks. In absolute terms, that is accurate. However, the statement ignores that there are more than five times more whites than blacks in America. When comparing death rates, blacks are about three times more likely than whites to die in a confrontation with police.

Also I believe the high rate at which blacks are killed by cops is far more related to socio economic factors than racial factors.
Eg. those socio economic factors that cause higher crime rates, which cause more interaction with cops.

This is just to counter the false narrative that only black people are killed by cops.

mehyaM24
12-24-2014, 10:44 PM
so why are the beings with "black" pigmentation constantly reported by cnn and various other media outlets? forgive me, im confused.

IamRAMBO24
12-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Empty stats. Each circumstance is different. How many of those whites killed are unarmed?

MavsSuperFan
12-26-2014, 05:22 PM
so why are the beings with "black" pigmentation constantly reported by cnn and various other media outlets? forgive me, im confused.
It gets ratings.

There is this belief that when a black person is killed by cops, its not a result of their actions but because the cops are racist. When cops kill white people, which they do almost twice as often, people can calmly analyze the situation and realize that maybe the cops actions were understandable.

Controversy like this is great for TV ratings. Which brings in the money.

Honestly if the recent events had been of white people killed by cops (which happens twice as often) it would have allowed people to be less emotional and truly analyze the situation.

Instead you have people reflexively defending Mike Brown, Antonio Martin, Rumain Brisbon, kajieme powell, etc.
Reading up on the various cases as tragic as the Rice and Garner cases were I am not sure I would want the cops to be put in prison.
Only the cop that killed Akai gurley deserves to be convicted IMO.

The negative with this kind of biased reporting is that you create so much unjustified hate against cops that there are people who understand/sympathize with that guy that killed the 2 NYPD officers.

Contrast that to the case of the unarmed white guy killed by the cop in salt lake utah

http://wreg.com/2014/11/25/salt-lake-cop-cleared-in-shooting-of-unarmed-white-man/

Officer Cruz said he believed Taylor had a weapon and intended to use it.

No weapon was found on or near Taylor’s body.

One big difference in the two cases was officer Cruz was wearing a body camera.

Footage from the officer’s body camera (see video above) shows Officer Cruz repeatedly ordered Dillon to show his hands.

On the footage Taylor can be heard saying “Nah, fool.”

Taylor quickly raised his left hand from inside his waistband, lifted his shirt level with his armpit and quickly brought out his right hand.

At that time Officer Cruz shot Taylor twice.
The video is in the link. You can watch it for yourself. I wish cops had body cameras on them 100% of the time. I think it would vindicate their actions in the vast majority of cases such as this one. It might have been hard for the cop if this shooting was not caught on film. IIRC taylor didnt rob the store and his actual behaviors are so irrational its hard to believe if you did not see the video. Eg. telling the cop "nah, fool" after being commanded to show his hands, while being totally unarmed. It would have been hard to believe if the video didnt exist. Luckily you can see that the cop was 100% justified in shooting taylor.

The white guy (Taylor) was unarmed, but I dont think the cop murdered him. He died because of his own stupid actions. I feel no sympathy towards him. i would be pissed if his family got a settlement from the state of utah.

The media realizes it is less sensational when white people are killed by the police and that the story wont attract ratings.

Empty stats. Each circumstance is different. How many of those whites killed are unarmed?

IIRC White People and Black people have similar gun ownership rates. Presumably more unarmed white people were killed by cops than unarmed black people, because more white people are killed by cops than black people are killed by cops.

Dillon Taylor in Utah was unarmed when the cop killed him. I looked at the case and I blame Taylor for his own death.

http://localtvkstu.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/s-sl-shooting-victim-dillion-taylor-facebook.jpg

Dillon taylor.

Also unarmed does not equal zero threat.

There was a white guy a few months ago that beat a cop to death while unarmed. There have been cases where unarmed suspects have stolen a cops gun and killed them with it. Its perfectly possible for a cop to be justified in using lethal force against someone unarmed.

IamRAMBO24
12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Its perfectly possible for a cop to be justified in using lethal force against someone unarmed.

Ya that's why we invented tasers.

IamRAMBO24
12-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Dillon taylor.

Also unarmed does not equal zero threat.

What are the stats for unarmed blacks vs unarmed whites?

ace23
12-26-2014, 08:06 PM
This is just to counter the false narrative that only black people are killed by cops.
Oh really. Where'd you see that?

longtime lurker
12-26-2014, 08:07 PM
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/21/michael-medved/talk-show-host-police-kill-more-whites-blacks/

Cops have killed almost twice as many white people as they have black people.

Now it should be noted that for every 1 black person there are 5 non-hispanic whites and 6 if you just classify white as we do in the census.

So any basic understanding of math will tell you that a disproportionately large amount of blacks are killed by cops but still the absolute number of whites killed by cops is almost double that of blacks.

Also I believe the high rate at which blacks are killed by cops is far more related to socio economic factors than racial factors.
Eg. those socio economic factors that cause higher crime rates, which cause more interaction with cops.

What's with white people's obsession with black people? Do you go to funerals and tell people that just loved a lost one that people die all the time?
Not only is the data on police homicides incomplete, this doesn't mean the concerns of the African American community in relation to police treatment aren't legitimate. While we're throwing out stats, apparently young black men are 21 times more likely to be killed by police :confusedshrug:

Patrick Chewing
12-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Ya that's why we invented tasers.

Some people are resistant to tasers. Or have you never heard of Youtube??

Patrick Chewing
12-26-2014, 08:35 PM
apparently young black men are 21 times more likely to be killed by police :confusedshrug:

Find the rate of which young black men kill each other you f'n tw@t and then we can talk about something.

Real14
12-26-2014, 08:37 PM
I disagree. There's a lot of blacks that have been killed by cops that they wont tell you about. I believe that.

longtime lurker
12-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Find the rate of which young black men kill each other you f'n tw@t and then we can talk about something.

Again wtf is your point you idiot? Why don't you do something about it since you seem to care so much. That's like telling a woman who gets raped "Well men get raped too!" I wouldn't expect your simple @ss to come up with a coherent argument that Fox news doesn't spoon feed you.

ace23
12-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Explain how that's even remotely relevant.

longtime lurker
12-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Some people are resistant to tasers. Or have you never heard of Youtube??

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bellator-fighter-joe-vedepo-arrested-allegedly-assaulting-police-075052075--mma.html

Explain this then asshat. Not only does this guy resist arrest he assaults and injures a police officer. Somehow through some magic an officer was able to restrain someone without having to shoot them....

Patrick Chewing
12-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Explain how that's even remotely relevant.

One guy got choked out. All hell breaks lose.

Thousands die every year by their own hand. Nothing.

ace23
12-26-2014, 11:10 PM
One guy got choked out. All hell breaks lose.

Thousands die every year by their own hand. Nothing.
What are you trying to argue? One issue should be ignored because there are other issues? Is that what you're getting at?

KNOW1EDGE
12-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Don't commit crimes and fight with the police and you will be fine, regardless of the color of your skin.

Carry yourself like a f*ckboy, use the word "swag" a lot, talk sh1t to cops, commit crimes etc and whatever color your skin is you are gonna have a rocky relationship with the police.

I'm not buying into the whole race war, race is irrelevant, except to the racists.

Budadiiii
12-26-2014, 11:30 PM
This is a misinformed belief. For instance, if I don't really care about race but the HR at the job I'm applying to does, then it is very relevant. It's only irrelevant to the people who hold the power to make it irrelevant.
Another damn mexican. :facepalm

Dresta
12-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I disagree. There's a lot of blacks that have been killed by cops that they wont tell you about. I believe that.
Yes, live in a fantasy world where you believe whatever deluded nonsense you like, that is true.