PDA

View Full Version : Are The '95 Rockets the luckiest and most opportune Champions in NBA History?

Audio One
12-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Honest question. This team of course worked their asses off, however, they hold the artifical label of being the ONLY 6th seed/lowest seed to win a title, and there's a reason for that. These Houston teams were the weakest of the title teams in the 90's, and Houston didn't come close before or afterwards to winning another title, matter of fact losing to inferior teams in the process at times.

The Quarterfinals: Face a Utah team w/o a starting center, and an injury to Stockton or Hornacek I believe. The rubber game sees David Benoit miss THREE STRAIGHT THREE POINTERS, having just made one of them would've ensured Utah victory, seeing as how Utah ran the clock down. As is often the case w/ the so-called "purest PG" ever, "top 30 player ever", "top-5 GOAT PG" Johnathan Stockton, puts up only 12 pts and 5 assists on 28%, and lets scrub bucktooth Kenny "The Jet" Smith torch him the entire series

The Semi-Finals: Ah, here it is. Houston faces perennial choke-artists Barkley and KJ-- another team w/o a starting cetner, and get taken to the brink by a team w/o Danny Manning, an integral part of Phoenix's rotation, and equates to a bigger loss than in '93 when Ceballos sat out the '93 Finals. I'm fairly certain Houston doesn't beat Phoenix w/ Manning in the lineup. Game 5 sees Phoenix w/ firm control of the game, up 79-76 entering the 4th, and KJ is literally unstoppable, shooting 75%, and all but ensures Phoenix another WCF Finals appearance, and here comes Barkley, the most underrated/overlooked stat-padding choke artist of the modern era.

Barkley enters the game, coming off a sizzling hot 5 point banger, shooting a perfect 0-10 in a game 3 that sees Phoenix get blown out by 30+. He demands KJ "give him the ****ing ball", and this became, and becomes a common theme during the consecutive WCSF series against Houston. As you know it, Barkley clanks shots left and right, shooting 1-13 from the floor during the 2nd half and overtime, along with 6 turnovers for dessert, completely disrupting Phoenix's flow. With 17.2 seconds left, Phoenix up 2, Barkley clanks two free throws that would've eliminated the World Champions, and Wesley Person misses a wide open three-pointer that would've won the series. Barkley was not to keep himself in the best of shape, and as a result Barkley tears his meniscus in game 6, quarter 3. To help aleviate this problem and better rest and prepare for the series finale, Barkley and Majerle go out drinking the night before the game 7. The next day of course sees both Majerle and Barkley choke like dogs, particulary Barkley, w/ just 18 points on 44% shooting w/ 7 turnovers, and KJ, as brillant as he was this game, chokes as well by missing the go-ahead free-throw, a game that Phoenix loses by 1 point. Also, for some strange reason, Westphal elects to try to trap Smith in the halfcourt IN A TIE GAME, leaving Mario open for the series-winning three-pointer. The Suns for the 2nd straight year, blow a 2-game series lead by losing three straight games.

The WCF

Face a great, oft-underrated supporting cast of the Spurs + Robinson. Only problem is, that the team is in disarray, mainly due to Rodman. He doesn't give full effort this go-around, not participating in the huddles, playing center field on Horry at times, chucking away from distance in game 2, and flat-out refusing to help in any way (be it double-team or even guarding) with containing Olajuwon. The opening game sees Elliot miss two free throws with 28.6 seconds in regulation, setting up Big Shot's game-winning three. Seeing as how this series is mere seconds away from going to a 7th game on SA's home floor, I believe San Antonio has a great shot to win this series had Rodman of course was a team player, and Elliot wraps up game 1. Many many folks point to Olajuwon's box score numbers and attribute this to the series, but it should be noted that Amar'e had just as good a series in '05, yet Phoenix was virtually swept. The problem w/ San Antonio this year was that they weren't a team by this point, mainly due to Dennis, and also due to the inept Bob Hill. He freely admitted to choosing to stick to single-coverage Olajuwon, and this actually wouldn't have been a bad decision, but like Phoenix, Hill didn't fully commit to this plan, which in turn set off the shooters for the Rockets, with Akeem being hot as well. The other problem was that you don't have your superstar carry the offense, and expect them to guard the opposing team's superstar, especially a match-up like his counterpart, w/ Drexler on the wing and shooters on deck.

The NBA Finals

Not too much needs to be said about this final round. Orlando sees it's franchise's all-time leading scorer miss four straight free throws and loses his manhood on the brightest stage, all while letting Drexler spank him this game, and all series long. THE CHANCES OF A 70% foul shooter missing FOUR STRAIGHT FREEBIES IS LESS THAN 1%!!! :facepalm Kenny Smith bails Houston out with a surprise home-run shot that sends the game into OT, and sees Orlando lose, completely crushing the young team's spirit, and a blow they don't recover from (think '13 Finals). As is the case w/ Shaquille's first three years in the league, he's ultimately Olajuwon's equal, and baby Shaq accordingly plays peak Akeem to a draw in the Finals, yet sees Houston's supporting cast have a series for the ages. I'm of the camp that believes Orlando wins the series, had their closer not blew that surefire win and give Houston homecourt.

So there you have it. The Miami Heat in '13 were bailed out by a lucky three-point shot, and Bryant gets miscredited for playing with Gasol, and for the Lakers supposedly "carrying Kobe in game 7" but Houston virtually faced this dilemna the entire '95 playoffs, ESPECIALLY the first two rounds! If LeBron's going to get heat for being bailed out, what about this ENTIRE POSTSEASON??? Getting bailed out by his supporting cast an entire Finals series? Relying on multiple choke jobs and artists? This is just as much an asterisk ring as any, and an even bigger asterisk title than the '94 one, as that team relied on MUCH less luck (outside of Jordan being suspended). So again, was there another title team that got as LUCKY as the '95 Houston team did?

Budadiiii
12-27-2014, 04:59 AM
2013 Heat

2011 Mavs

BasedTom
12-27-2014, 05:06 AM
2013 Heat

2011 Mavs
1. team was stacked, won 27 games in a row and had the best record in the league
2. dirk was a god in the playoffs. in the words of Damian Lillard, Lebron played like a *****. Probably the biggest choke job of all time since the 18-1 Patriots. Probably worse, since 2011 Bran was a one man shit-show.

stephanieg
12-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Houston made the '81 finals with a 40-42 record and won 2 games off the 60+ win Celts. They got that voodoo.

Real14
12-27-2014, 06:22 AM
2013 Heat

2011 Mavs

I would take out 2011 Mavs and add 06, 12 heat as well.

Nowitness
12-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Damn right what you said about Barkley though.

Kargo
12-27-2014, 07:28 AM
2013 Heat

2011 Mavs

Yup,beating Kobe/Gasol/Bynum with Phil Jackson..Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka....Lebron/Wade/Bosh with a combined score of 12 wins,3 loses was pure luck.:rolleyes:

Easily the most impressive title run since Lakers' early 00'.

SexSymbol
12-27-2014, 07:35 AM
no,
look up 12-13 Heat

K Xerxes
12-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Contender for worst post ever. A wall of text that could have been summarised into: 'Rockets won because they were better than the teams they faced over a 7 game series'. You can blame injuries, choke artists or the tooth fairy, but the same could be done for virtually every championship ever won by a team that isn't universally considered the best at the beginning of the playoffs. They were the best when it counted, that's all.

Ultimately Hakeem did this:

1st round (3-2 vs Jazz): 35-9-4 on 57%
2nd round (4-3 vs Suns): 30-9-4 on 50%
WCF (4-2 vs Spurs): 35-13-5-4 on 56% vs MVP David Robinson
Finals (4-0 vs Magic): 33-12-6 on 48%

Rockets defeated 60, 59, 62 and 57 teams on route to the championship. Arguably the GOAT individual playoff run.

How Akeem's ass taste son?

Only wish you could give me back the minute or so I wasted reading that diatribe.

Harison
12-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Contender for worst post ever. A wall of text that could have been summarised into: 'Rockets won because they were better than the teams they faced over a 7 game series'. You can blame injuries, choke artists or the tooth fairy, but the same could be done for virtually every championship ever won by a team that isn't universally considered the best at the beginning of the playoffs. They were the best when it counted, that's all.

Rockets defeated 60, 59, 62 and 57 teams on route to the championship. Arguably the GOAT individual playoff run.

Only wish you could give me back the minute or so I wasted reading that diatribe.

:applause:

necya
12-27-2014, 10:55 AM
sometimes, it starts like that. A insignificant stupid post on a forum, and a morning, coffee is not hot enough and they kill their entire family

they just defeated the 4 best teams of the season :facepalm

Audio One
12-27-2014, 07:46 PM
2013 Heat

2011 Mavs

While I do agree with the '11 Mavericks mention (somehow moved Nowitzki up 20 spots in the rankings) ultimately though, both teams would've at least made it to the Finals, while Akeem was honestly lucky to even make it to the WCF, let alone the 2nd round

navy
12-27-2014, 07:48 PM

:applause:

Audio One
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Any championship team that caught THAT many breaks as Houston did that year, yeah :rolleyes: I'd love to read about it. And no, Houston didn't beat any great teams that year, as none of those teams came close to winning a title before or afterwards. Using win totals to justify how good a team is/was is horrible logic, going by that the '98 Sonics and '08 Warriors were better teams than the '95 Rockets...

Audio One
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Damn right what you said about Barkley though.

Even then, he's still better than Nowitzki, don't worry

Audio One
12-27-2014, 08:01 PM
James was arguably at his peak in '13, and put up a great overall year, but it seems that the Ray Allen jumpshot takes a bit of luster off this run, and makes his ring and great season seem less impressive to some. Yet Hakeem at his "peak" is a jumpshot away from also forfeiting the title, receiving the same exact help as LeBron did, but in the SECOND ROUND. Kind of a funny double-standard that's applied here :confusedshrug:

eliteballer
12-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Beating what, four 50 win teams on the road is luck?:roll:

GrapeApe
12-27-2014, 08:12 PM
James was arguably at his peak in '13, and put up a great overall year, but it seems that the Ray Allen jumpshot takes a bit of luster off this run, and makes his ring and great season seem less impressive to some. Yet Hakeem at his "peak" is a jumpshot away from also forfeiting the title, receiving the same exact help as LeBron did, but in the SECOND ROUND. Kind of a funny double-standard that's applied here :confusedshrug:

Why on earth would Allen's shot take luster off the title run? It was one of the greatest shots in NBA history in an epic finals series. If anything it makes that title run more legendary.

fpliii
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
:facepalm

Audio One
12-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Why on earth would Allen's shot take luster off the title run? It was one of the greatest shots in NBA history in an epic finals series. If anything it makes that title run more legendary.

I personally don't take anything away from that run, what I'm speaking of is how each players' peaks are viewed, at least as far as these online forums is concerned. The '13 season IS a year that will be remembered as LeBron being bailed out when talked about on here, yet Olajuwon's '95 season is seem as some perfect title run, ignoring the fact Akeem needed just as many breaks as LeBron did, actually even more

Audio One
12-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Beating what, four 50 win teams on the road is luck?:roll:

None of those teams were great, and it was a weak era. The fact that an expansion franchise made the NBA Finals in it's 3rd year of existence tells me all I need to know about the overall quality of the NBA at that time. The way Olajuwon is viewed on here, it makes no sense to give him extra credit for disposing of the teams he's supposed to beat, especially the teams w/ scrub centers. Dunno why he's being held in such a high regard for that, if it was Jordan or Russell, it'd be expected, and the norm

eliteballer
12-27-2014, 08:28 PM
None of those teams were great, and it was a weak era. The fact that an expansion franchise made the NBA Finals in it's 3rd year of existence tells me all I need to know about the overall quality of the NBA at that time

If you're going to say something stupid at least get your facts straight:roll:

fpliii
12-27-2014, 08:30 PM
None of those teams were great, and it was a weak era. The fact that an expansion franchise made the NBA Finals in it's 3rd year of existence tells me all I need to know about the overall quality of the NBA at that time. The way Olajuwon is viewed on here, it makes no sense to give him extra credit for disposing of the teams he's supposed to beat, especially the teams w/ scrub centers
The Bucks won it all in their third year...

GrapeApe
12-27-2014, 08:31 PM
None of those teams were great, and it was a weak era. The fact that an expansion franchise made the NBA Finals in it's 3rd year of existence tells me all I need to know about the overall quality of the NBA at that time. The way Olajuwon is viewed on here, it makes no sense to give him extra credit for disposing of the teams he's supposed to beat, especially the teams w/ scrub centers

Orlando was in their 7th year of exsistence. They also had two top ten players and were favored in the finals.

Audio One
12-27-2014, 08:40 PM
The Bucks won it all in their third year...

Sure, but a league w/ 17 teams, better talent, better depth, and better parity is better off than a league with 27 teams and a massive influx of CBA players, with the best teams of the era not coming close to matching up w/ the best teams of other eras. That Milwaukee team was actually a great team, and played in a competitive era, aganist great teams, I can't say the same about Orlando, or their competition...

eliteballer
12-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Sure, but a league w/ 17 teams, better talent, better depth, and better parity is better off than a league with 27 teams and a massive influx of CBA players, with the best teams of the era not coming close to matching up w/ the best teams of other eras. That Milwaukee team was actually a great team, and played in a competitive era, aganist great teams, I can't say the same about Orlando, or their competition...

Should titles, awards, and stats from 1968-1976 have asterisks?

Many argue as to the veracity of ABA stats due to the fact it played a more wide open game than the NBA as well whether it was as strong as the NBA.

Yet even if the NBA was stronger at any given time, it doesnt negate the fact that there was still another league splitting the professional talent pool regardless. Not only was the professional talent pool split between 1968 and 1976, but there was a TREMENDOUS increase in the amount of teams.

In 1968, the NBA had 10 teams. By 1972, it had 17. In 1972, the ABA had 11 teams. So in the 4 year span between 1968 and 1972, the amount of professional teams increased by 18. So not only were the leagues splitting the talent pool and not competing against each other, but in 1972 you had 28 professional teams, and in 1977 the first year after the merger you actually had LESS, with 22.

For perspective, many say the 90's were diluted because 4 teams were added at the end of the 80's and then 2 more teams in 95.

To clarify, we are not comparing the NBA and ABA but we are comparing the period of 1968-1976 to combined NBA pre ABA and post merger.

Rick Barry is a good example of the situation at the time. Not in terms of stats, but the fact that he played 2 years in the NBA, then jumped to the ABA for 4 years, then went back to the NBA.

Now, this doesnt change the fact that guys like Kareem, Dr. J, Rick Barry, Elvin Hayes etc. weren't great because they were still the best players out there, but whether players would have had the numbers they had, whether teams that were champions would have been champions in a combined league, and whether players would have won as many awards as they did in a combined league is certainly, IMO up for debate. I mean, would Dr J have snatched another MVP or two, some All-NBA teams, or won another championship if he was in the NBA during his ABA years? Obviously, very real possibilities.

Yeah, you're a moron audio.

Audio One
12-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Orlando was in their 7th year of exsistence. They also had two top ten players and were favored in the finals.

So seventh, my mistake. Even so, there was nothing great about that Magic team. It was Shaquille, a good player in Anfernee, and nothing special outside of them. And Hardaway was a horrible defender at that point in time, and him, and Orlando as a whole, benefited greatly from the removal of handchecking and the shortened 3-point line that year. Again, that team didn't have quality depth, and did not play transition defense or guard the 3-point line to save their lives, they would not be title favorites during any other time. To say or imply they were a great team in an all-time sense is disingenuous..

eliteballer
12-27-2014, 09:00 PM
So seventh, my mistake. Even so, there was nothing great about that Magic team. It was Shaquille, a good player in Anfernee, and nothing special outside of them. And Hardaway was a horrible defender at that point in time, and him, and Orlando as a whole, benefited greatly from the removal of handchecking and the shortened 3-point line that year. Again, that team didn't have quality depth, and did not play transition defense or guard the 3-point line to save their lives, they would not be title favorites during any other time. To say or imply they were a great team in an all-time sense is disingenuous..

:roll: Shaq only played around 50 games in 96 and they STILL won over 60 games.

and the rules applied to EVERYONE, it was an even playing field. It's not like they were specially made and only applied to the Magic:oldlol:

Audio One
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Yeah, you're a moron audio.

Well for one, I was not even discussing the ABA. Two, I'm not sure what that article's trying to prove: The NBA in the 70's was a league with parity, as there was no one superteam. Hell Abdul-Jabbar, a better player than Jordan imo, and having great teams himself (when they weren't injured), only came away with one ring that decade, and the year he won it, beat teams as good as he'd face during that period. Now, I'm comparing this decade to the 90's, a league that saw one team pretty much win the majority of the titles. Think about it, a sizeable pool of talent was withdrawn, and it still was a more competitive league than the 90's. Again, that Kareem, a possible GOAT, and ultimately a better player than when he was in the 80's, only won one ring during that time tells me all I need to know about the competition during that time

Audio One
12-27-2014, 09:32 PM
:roll: Shaq only played around 50 games in 96 and they STILL won over 60 games.

and the rules applied to EVERYONE, it was an even playing field. It's not like they were specially made and only applied to the Magic:oldlol:

Who's talking about '96? And that really just proves my point about it being a weak league, that that Orlando team could still win that many games without Shaquille

That '96 team played went 17-5 without O'Neal, however they played 12 teams with sub-.500 records, 13 teams overall that didn't make the postseason, 15 teams overall that didn't win a playoff game :facepalm

EDIT: Overall, I counted at least FORTY-FIVE ****ING GAMES that '96 team played that didn't have a wining record :oldlol: :wtf: I'm no so sure '95 will look all that better, if at all...

Roundball_Rock
12-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Any championship team that caught THAT many breaks as Houston did that year, yeah :rolleyes: I'd love to read about it. And no, Houston didn't beat any great teams that year, as none of those teams came close to winning a title before or afterwards. Using win totals to justify how good a team is/was is horrible logic, going by that the '98 Sonics and '08 Warriors were better teams than the '95 Rockets...

The Suns were two years removed from the Finals, a series in which they were a Paxson three pointer away from forcing a Game 7 at home. The Jazz were in the WCF in 94', 96' and Finals in 97' and 98'. Both teams were perennial contenders during that period, although it is true the Suns' window closed after 1995. The Magic were a rising team which backed up their 95' run with a 60 win season and a trip to the ECF the following year, losing to the legendary 72-10 Jordan-Pippen Bulls. Had Shaq remained in Orlando they would have continued to contend.

The only outlier was the Spurs. 95' was their only serious playoff run during the Robinson era previous to Duncan being drafted.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-28-2014, 12:46 AM

This. Except for the image of Hakeem's ass. :eek:

Dresta
12-28-2014, 08:13 AM
I would take out 2011 Mavs and add 06, 12 heat as well.
:roll:

You really are pitiful. Swear you're borderline retarded (and i'm being kind).

Bigsmoke
12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
The OP is saying that the Rockets lucked out after sweeping a team?

houston
12-28-2014, 10:28 AM
One thing OP forgot to mention was Sonics choking during those years factor in the Rockets winning it all too.

JohnnySic
12-28-2014, 10:33 AM
The '87 Lakers beat 3 NBDL teams in the western playoffs and then played a Celtics team with 2/3rds of the roster injured in some way.

Audio One
12-28-2014, 03:35 PM
The Suns were two years removed from the Finals, a series in which they were a Paxson three pointer away from forcing a Game 7 at home. The Jazz were in the WCF in 94', 96' and Finals in 97' and 98'. Both teams were perennial contenders during that period, although it is true the Suns' window closed after 1995. The Magic were a rising team which backed up their 95' run with a 60 win season and a trip to the ECF the following year, losing to the legendary 72-10 Jordan-Pippen Bulls. Had Shaq remained in Orlando they would have continued to contend.

The only outlier was the Spurs. 95' was their only serious playoff run during the Robinson era previous to Duncan being drafted.

Like I said, expansion, Jordan's suspension and the influx of CBA talent weakened the NBA product to an all-time quality low. None of those teams Houston beat ever won a title before or afterwards. Tim Duncan in '03 taking out that Lakeset dynasty is better than Olajuwon EVER did. And again, WHO CARES about arbitrary win totals, as this implies that a) those teams were great in an all-time sense, and b) you must not think that highly of Olajuwon to give him so much credit for beating the teams he was supposed to beat, even if on the road. You win more games in the regular season, you have HCA, he did what he was supposed to do, no?

Audio One
12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
The OP is saying that the Rockets lucked out after sweeping a team?

Houston caught a grip of breaks in virtually every round that year, even if you want to exclude the final round. I'm aware all title teams have a lil' bit of luck, but I just wanted to know if there was a team that caught THAT many breaks. Honestly, the defending champs were very fortunate to not get bounced in the first round :confusedshrug:

Audio One
12-28-2014, 03:40 PM
One thing OP forgot to mention was Sonics choking during those years factor in the Rockets winning it all too.

You know, I was gonna mention that, but I decided to remain somewhat bipartisan. I also believe the '95 Lakers would've gave 'em that work, had they upset San Antonio

triangleoffense
12-28-2014, 03:41 PM
lol no, you can only face the teams that are in front of you and Hakeem owned the entire western conference frontcourt

Audio One
12-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Another thing I don't get, is why do Akeem supporters give him SO MUCH DAMN credit for outplaying the "MVP", when they believe the MVP should've been Olajuwon's anyways? Now, if you want to say that Akeem outplayed the best player in the NBA that year, then that'd be more accurate

Audio One
12-28-2014, 03:43 PM
lol no, you can only face the teams that are in front of you and Hakeem owned the entire western conference frontcourt

Who does this frontcourt consist of, besides someone that you'd probably not even think twice about choosing before Olajuwon

SamuraiSWISH
12-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Hakeem ass pounded everyone in that run. MVPs, Shaq, you name it. All while Clyde Drexler finally provided the necessary superstar support on the perimeter. Every team needs it fair share of luck, but to insinuate they didn't earn their ring is tremendously disrespectful. Stupid actually.

navy
12-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Is Audio a Lazerus alt?

Audio One
12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Hakeem ass pounded everyone in that run. MVPs, Shaq, you name it. All while Clyde Drexler finally provided the necessary superstar support on the perimeter. Every team needs it fair share of luck, but to insinuate they didn't earn their ring is tremendously disrespectful. Stupid actually.

Never said or (meant to if I did) implied as such, all I said was that they had more luck than any team I can think of... There's nothing wrong with being extremely lucky, that team did have a lot of miracles

guy
12-28-2014, 05:33 PM

The game was tied. So if Mario Elie misses that shot and the Rockets stop the Suns on the other end it goes into OT. Its not really close to what happened in game 6 of the 2013 Finals. Lebron was one Ray Allen shot away from losing that series. Hakeem was one Mario Elie shot away from that game going into OT. Big Difference.

SugarHill
12-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Is Audio a Lazerus alt?
Who knows but all he likes to do is shit on Hakeem

LAZERUSS
12-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Is Audio a Lazerus alt?

No, and neither is "Houston."

Audio has used some of my posts before in other forums, and I certainly don't mind, but no, not me.

I don't need any other "alts."

I could not care less what anyone ls thinks of MY posts or topics.

iamgine
12-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Honest question. This team of course worked their asses off, however, they hold the artifical label of being the ONLY 6th seed/lowest seed to win a title, and there's a reason for that. These Houston teams were the weakest of the title teams in the 90's, and Houston didn't come close before or afterwards to winning another title, matter of fact losing to inferior teams in the process at times.

The Quarterfinals: Face a Utah team w/o a starting center, and an injury to Stockton or Hornacek I believe. The rubber game sees David Benoit miss THREE STRAIGHT THREE POINTERS, having just made one of them would've ensured Utah victory, seeing as how Utah ran the clock down. As is often the case w/ the so-called "purest PG" ever, "top 30 player ever", "top-5 GOAT PG" Johnathan Stockton, puts up only 12 pts and 5 assists on 28%, and lets scrub bucktooth Kenny "The Jet" Smith torch him the entire series

The Semi-Finals: Ah, here it is. Houston faces perennial choke-artists Barkley and KJ-- another team w/o a starting cetner, and get taken to the brink by a team w/o Danny Manning, an integral part of Phoenix's rotation, and equates to a bigger loss than in '93 when Ceballos sat out the '93 Finals. I'm fairly certain Houston doesn't beat Phoenix w/ Manning in the lineup. Game 5 sees Phoenix w/ firm control of the game, up 79-76 entering the 4th, and KJ is literally unstoppable, shooting 75%, and all but ensures Phoenix another WCF Finals appearance, and here comes Barkley, the most underrated/overlooked stat-padding choke artist of the modern era.

Barkley enters the game, coming off a sizzling hot 5 point banger, shooting a perfect 0-10 in a game 3 that sees Phoenix get blown out by 30+. He demands KJ "give him the ****ing ball", and this became, and becomes a common theme during the consecutive WCSF series against Houston. As you know it, Barkley clanks shots left and right, shooting 1-13 from the floor during the 2nd half and overtime, along with 6 turnovers for dessert, completely disrupting Phoenix's flow. With 17.2 seconds left, Phoenix up 2, Barkley clanks two free throws that would've eliminated the World Champions, and Wesley Person misses a wide open three-pointer that would've won the series. Barkley was not to keep himself in the best of shape, and as a result Barkley tears his meniscus in game 6, quarter 3. To help aleviate this problem and better rest and prepare for the series finale, Barkley and Majerle go out drinking the night before the game 7. The next day of course sees both Majerle and Barkley choke like dogs, particulary Barkley, w/ just 18 points on 44% shooting w/ 7 turnovers, and KJ, as brillant as he was this game, chokes as well by missing the go-ahead free-throw, a game that Phoenix loses by 1 point. Also, for some strange reason, Westphal elects to try to trap Smith in the halfcourt IN A TIE GAME, leaving Mario open for the series-winning three-pointer. The Suns for the 2nd straight year, blow a 2-game series lead by losing three straight games.

The WCF

Face a great, oft-underrated supporting cast of the Spurs + Robinson. Only problem is, that the team is in disarray, mainly due to Rodman. He doesn't give full effort this go-around, not participating in the huddles, playing center field on Horry at times, chucking away from distance in game 2, and flat-out refusing to help in any way (be it double-team or even guarding) with containing Olajuwon. The opening game sees Elliot miss two free throws with 28.6 seconds in regulation, setting up Big Shot's game-winning three. Seeing as how this series is mere seconds away from going to a 7th game on SA's home floor, I believe San Antonio has a great shot to win this series had Rodman of course was a team player, and Elliot wraps up game 1. Many many folks point to Olajuwon's box score numbers and attribute this to the series, but it should be noted that Amar'e had just as good a series in '05, yet Phoenix was virtually swept. The problem w/ San Antonio this year was that they weren't a team by this point, mainly due to Dennis, and also due to the inept Bob Hill. He freely admitted to choosing to stick to single-coverage Olajuwon, and this actually wouldn't have been a bad decision, but like Phoenix, Hill didn't fully commit to this plan, which in turn set off the shooters for the Rockets, with Akeem being hot as well. The other problem was that you don't have your superstar carry the offense, and expect them to guard the opposing team's superstar, especially a match-up like his counterpart, w/ Drexler on the wing and shooters on deck.

The NBA Finals

Not too much needs to be said about this final round. Orlando sees it's franchise's all-time leading scorer miss four straight free throws and loses his manhood on the brightest stage, all while letting Drexler spank him this game, and all series long. THE CHANCES OF A 70% foul shooter missing FOUR STRAIGHT FREEBIES IS LESS THAN 1%!!! :facepalm Kenny Smith bails Houston out with a surprise home-run shot that sends the game into OT, and sees Orlando lose, completely crushing the young team's spirit, and a blow they don't recover from (think '13 Finals). As is the case w/ Shaquille's first three years in the league, he's ultimately Olajuwon's equal, and baby Shaq accordingly plays peak Akeem to a draw in the Finals, yet sees Houston's supporting cast have a series for the ages. I'm of the camp that believes Orlando wins the series, had their closer not blew that surefire win and give Houston homecourt.

So there you have it. The Miami Heat in '13 were bailed out by a lucky three-point shot, and Bryant gets miscredited for playing with Gasol, and for the Lakers supposedly "carrying Kobe in game 7" but Houston virtually faced this dilemna the entire '95 playoffs, ESPECIALLY the first two rounds! If LeBron's going to get heat for being bailed out, what about this ENTIRE POSTSEASON??? Getting bailed out by his supporting cast an entire Finals series? Relying on multiple choke jobs and artists? This is just as much an asterisk ring as any, and an even bigger asterisk title than the '94 one, as that team relied on MUCH less luck (outside of Jordan being suspended). So again, was there another title team that got as LUCKY as the '95 Houston team did?
You are describing details that one would find in any playoff runs.

They raised their game in the playoff.

There's no "Getting bailed out by his supporting cast an entire Finals series". That's a dumb view of it. They won 4-0. The correct view is Hakeem played great, so did his supporting casts.

Audio One
12-28-2014, 11:47 PM
You are describing details that one would find in any playoff runs. They raised their game in the playoff.

There's no "Getting bailed out by his supporting cast an entire Finals series". That's a dumb view of it. They won 4-0. The correct view is Hakeem played great, so did his supporting casts.

That many "details"? :lol Again, I'd love to read about them, I'm all eyes

Real14
12-28-2014, 11:59 PM
:roll:

You really are pitiful. Swear you're borderline retarded (and i'm being kind).
06 and 12 cheat weren't one of the luckiest?:biggums: They deserved their titles and had no major help from the refs too??:biggums: :biggums: stop hating and face the damn facts:coleman:

MiseryCityTexas
12-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Danny Manning wouldn't have ensured a victory over the Rockets that year. That statement was pathetic. Manning was a career role player on the Suns.

Audio One
12-29-2014, 12:28 AM
The game was tied. So if Mario Elie misses that shot and the Rockets stop the Suns on the other end it goes into OT. Its not really close to what happened in game 6 of the 2013 Finals. Lebron was one Ray Allen shot away from losing that series. Hakeem was one Mario Elie shot away from that game going into OT. Big Difference.

You know, I'm honestly not so sure about that. There were 3 Suns available to grab that potential rebound, and that rebound swings the momentum entirely in Phoenix's favor. KJ of course could not be guarded that game, and Joe Kleine did a fantastic job in pulling Olajuwon away from the basket. He was playing great, shooting great, really opened up the floor for KJ's penetration, his play was nearly the difference in the series. I have reservations as to whether Olajuwon would've just left this seasoned vet wide open w/ the way he also was shooting that series. I saw three potential plays Westphal would've drawn up:

a) A high Barkley pick-and-roll
b) set up a play for Ainge
c) A quick Johnson iso, resulting in a shot attempt at the rim (in which he would've made a layup, baseline jumper or been fouled at the cup) or a drive-and-dish to either Ainge or most likely Kleine.

Of course this is just conjecture, however the feeling I remember having at the time was that Phoenix gets the rebound, and has all the momentum and more than enough time to draw the right play up, as Houston could not stop the Suns that quarter

Audio One
12-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Danny Manning wouldn't have ensured a victory over the Rockets that year. That statement was pathetic. Manning was a career role player on the Suns.

Losing him was a major blow to the Suns bench, Houston barely got by Phoenix without him. He was a hell of a player before injuries, and was as good a 6th man as one could find. Him and Barkley would've formed a great one-two punch, and Barkley wouldn't have had to play so many minutes, and wouldn't have worn down and got injured. I can by your statement you never saw him play

MiseryCityTexas
12-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Losing him was a major blow to the Suns bench, Houston barely got by Phoenix without him. He was a hell of a player before injuries, and was as good a 6th man as one could find. Him and Barkley would've formed a great one-two punch, and Barkley wouldn't have had to play so many minutes, and wouldn't have worn down and got injured. I can by your statement you never saw him play

Clippers and Hawks was his last great run. He always sucked on the Suns even before injuries. He was just a decent role player on that team.

Audio One
12-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Clippers and Hawks was his last great run. He always sucked on the Suns even before injuries. He was just a decent role player on that team.

Was just an All-Star the previous year, put up virtually the same stats per 36, had 5 30 pt games and 10 20+ pt games in just 46 games played, averaged 21-8-3 on almost 55% shooting, with a steal and 1.5 blocks per game during the two months preceding his inury when he saw a steady increase in minutes, yet "always sucked on the Suns" :facepalm

Asukal
12-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Is Audio a Lazerus alt?

He is jlauber that is for sure. He just denied having alts maybe to avoid millwad reposting what he said a few years back about the 60's. :oldlol:

guy
12-29-2014, 01:24 AM
You know, I'm honestly not so sure about that. There were 3 Suns available to grab that potential rebound, and that rebound swings the momentum entirely in Phoenix's favor. KJ of course could not be guarded that game, and Joe Kleine did a fantastic job in pulling Olajuwon away from the basket. He was playing great, shooting great, really opened up the floor for KJ's penetration, his play was nearly the difference in the series. I have reservations as to whether Olajuwon would've just left this seasoned vet wide open w/ the way he also was shooting that series. I saw three potential plays Westphal would've drawn up:

a) A high Barkley pick-and-roll
b) set up a play for Ainge
c) A quick Johnson iso, resulting in a shot attempt at the rim (in which he would've made a layup, baseline jumper or been fouled at the cup) or a drive-and-dish to either Ainge or most likely Kleine.

Of course this is just conjecture, however the feeling I remember having at the time was that Phoenix gets the rebound, and has all the momentum and more than enough time to draw the right play up, as Houston could not stop the Suns that quarter

How does that change anything I said? Game was tied. Bottom line is the suns would've had to do more to win that game if Elie missed then the spurs would've had to do if ray missed.

MiseryCityTexas
12-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Was just an All-Star the previous year, put up virtually the same stats per 36, had 5 30 pt games and 10 20+ pt games in just 46 games played, averaged 21-8-3 on almost 55% shooting, with a steal and 1.5 blocks per game during the two months preceding his inury when he saw a steady increase in minutes, yet "always sucked on the Suns" :facepalm

Horry would have just drained wide open threes over him regardless if he was healthy or not. You acting like Danny Manning was an elite player.:oldlol: He only had one good season with the Suns, and became an average role player after he got hurt.

MiseryCityTexas
12-29-2014, 02:02 AM
Otis Thorpe bodied Danny Manning in the play-offs back in the very early 90s when Manning was in his absolute prime.:lol Clippers had no chance against that Rockets team.

Audio One
12-29-2014, 04:44 AM
No, and neither is "Houston."

Audio has used some of my posts before in other forums, and I certainly don't mind, but no, not me.

I don't need any other "alts."

I could not care less what anyone ls thinks of MY posts or topics.

And I'm not the only one that's stole your work, be it on this very forum, or even others, it happens to the most knowlegable of individuals. It just so happened that one of the people that did steal your work also happens to share viewpoints of yours, as if a Chamberlain fan not being a fan of Olajuwon's some rare commodity..

Audio One
12-29-2014, 05:17 AM
1995 Orlando Magic won 60 games, however in 41 of the 82 regular season games, Orlando played a team w/o a winning record, overall 45 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 55% of Orlando's schedule

1995 San Antonio Spurs won 62 games, however played 43 of the 82 regular season games against teams that didn't have a winning record, overall 45 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 55% of San Antonio's schedule

1995 Phoenix Suns won 59 games, however played 41 of their 82 regular season games against team that didn't have a winning record, overall 46 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 56% of Phoenix's schedule

1995 Utah Jazz won 60 games, however played 42 of their 82 regular season games against teams that didn't have a winning record, overall 46 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 56% of Utah's schedule

There you go. A few good (not great) teams, beating up against much, much inferior teams. The fact that these squads won so many games will not be a testament to their playing ability or greatness, but rather the watered-down state of the league at the time.

Audio One
12-29-2014, 05:20 AM
Horry would have just drained wide open threes over him regardless if he was healthy or not. You acting like Danny Manning was an elite player.:oldlol: He only had one good season with the Suns, and became an average role player after he got hurt.

Never said he was an elite player, and the following seasons you mention had nothing to do with with my statement, or the topic at hand

iamgine
12-29-2014, 11:32 AM
That many "details"? :lol Again, I'd love to read about them, I'm all eyes
pick any.

2000 lakers? No good big men. Jordan retired 2 seasons earlier. Hakeem old. Ewing old. all other teams and stars are either too young or old to compete. Didnt face Spurs.

Some of your "details" are not luck either. There's no "Getting bailed out by his supporting cast an entire Finals series". That's a dumb view of it. They won 4-0. The correct view is Hakeem played great, so did his supporting casts.

necya
12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
1995 Orlando Magic won 60 games, however in 41 of the 82 regular season games, Orlando played a team w/o a winning record, overall 45 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 55% of Orlando's schedule

1995 San Antonio Spurs won 62 games, however played 43 of the 82 regular season games against teams that didn't have a winning record, overall 45 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 55% of San Antonio's schedule

1995 Phoenix Suns won 59 games, however played 41 of their 82 regular season games against team that didn't have a winning record, overall 46 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 56% of Phoenix's schedule

1995 Utah Jazz won 60 games, however played 42 of their 82 regular season games against teams that didn't have a winning record, overall 46 games against teams that didn't win a playoff game. This is 56% of Utah's schedule

There you go. A few good (not great) teams, beating up against much, much inferior teams. The fact that these squads won so many games will not be a testament to their playing ability or greatness, but rather the watered-down state of the league at the time.

:facepalm do you read what you write ?
you think in another decades they used to face only good teams ?
you think that the Celtics of the 60's or the Bulls of the 90's or the heat more recently played 60 over their 80 games schedule against good teams ? :hammerhead:

dammit you such stupid i don't know if i have to laugh or cry