PDA

View Full Version : John Wall

Top Gun
12-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Was getting written off a couple of years back but now seem's comfortable in the league and is balling this year.

Where does he sit right now in the PG ranks? And in future best player lists?

Legends66NBA7
12-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Top 5-10 PG current ranks.

Future Top 15-20 player, if he isn't 1 already.

longhornfan1234
12-27-2014, 01:44 PM
1. Westbrook
2. Curry
3. CP3
4. Wall
5. Lillard

Papaya Petee
12-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Best PG in the league

tontoz
12-27-2014, 01:59 PM
For December he is averaging 18/12 shooting 50%. Wasn't that good in November though.

Hard to rank him above Curry/Paul/Westbrook/Lillard at this point. Lots of strong pg play this year.

Pointguard
12-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Westbrook - obvious
Lillard - Had his team overachieving for a year now.
Curry - Not as pure as the others here but is a different type of threat
Paul - Body of work is the most impressive - and still does more things better than the rest
Wall - CP3's replacement soon enough

At the moment for me.

EricGordon23
12-27-2014, 03:50 PM
1. Westbrook
2. Curry
3. Wall
4. Paul
5. Lowry
6. Lillard

tontoz
12-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Wall has had two main flaws the last two seasons, turnovers and taking too many jumpers early in the clock. This month he has cut down on the early jumpers which is a big reason why he is playing so well. Turnovers are still an issue though.

Heavincent
12-27-2014, 03:59 PM
I think he's the best PG in the East.

Done_And_Done
12-27-2014, 04:11 PM
1. Westbrook
2. Curry
3. Wall
4. Paul
5. Lowry
6. Lillard

Bump Paul up to 1 or 2 and you have my list

GimmeThat
12-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Reminds me on how deron willians cross over doesnt work as well in the east, or maybe its due to his injury.

But thats a different type of pull up j and bounce pass plays, compared to wall.

nathanjizzle
12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
1. Rose
2. Westbrook

3. anyone who thinks they are relevant because they are playing out of their lima beans.

imdaman99
12-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Whoever was writing him off is an idiot. He has all the tools to be the best PG, let's see if he has it up in his head.

Genaro
12-27-2014, 05:21 PM
1. Westbrook
2. Curry
3. CP3
4. Wall
5. Lillard
Agree with this, Though I think the top 3 is interchangeable.

Wall has had two main flaws the last two seasons, turnovers and taking too many jumpers early in the clock. This month he has cut down on the early jumpers which is a big reason why he is playing so well. Turnovers are still an issue though.
Except for CP, turnovers are an issue with everyone of those elite PGs.

tontoz
12-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Agree with this, Though I think the top 3 is interchangeable.

Except for CP, turnovers are an issue with everyone of those elite PGs.

Lillard, Lowry or Conley arent as turnover prone as Wall has been.

Genaro
12-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Lillard, Lowry or Conley arent as turnover prone as Wall has been.
Lowry and Conley take better care of the ball but they don't average so many ast as well. In Conley's case the ball doesn't stay so much in his hands. Lillard had 7 TO yesterday and 6 on monday.

tontoz
12-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Lowry and Conley take better care of the ball but they don't average so many ast as well. In Conley's case the ball doesn't stay so much in his hands. Lillard had 7 TO yesterday and 6 on monday.

Turnover rate is based on number of touches per 100 possessions.

Wall 12.2
Lillard 10
Conley 8.9
Lowry 8.0

Wall is the worst shooter among the top pgs and that probably wont change. But he can take better care of the ball. A lot of his turnovers are pretty careless.

ralph_i_el
12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Turnover rate is based on number of touches per 100 possessions.

Wall 12.2
Lillard 10
Conley 8.9
Lowry 8.0

Wall is the worst shooter among the top pgs and that probably wont change. But he can take better care of the ball. A lot of his turnovers are pretty careless.

Wall has always had turnover issues, but I feel like this season less of them have been careless as opposed to just overly aggressive.

bizil
12-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Westbrook - obvious
Lillard - Had his team overachieving for a year now.
Curry - Not as pure as the others here but is a different type of threat
Paul - Body of work is the most impressive - and still does more things better than the rest
Wall - CP3's replacement soon enough

At the moment for me.

Great list! I also agree with your statement on Wall too. Once Wall reaches his peak, I think he's gonna be a freak athletic version of Gary Payton. He's well on his way now, but I feel Wall has the potential to be a great versatile defender like Payton. GP at his best was a great passer, great scorer, and great defender capable of defending PG, SG, and many SF's. At 6'4, GP and Frazier own that.

Wall has the goods to be that! Wall sees the game in the floor general-dime droppin aspect that freak athletes like Westbrook and Rose don't see it in. Wall is pass first and dominate scoring second.

stevieming
12-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Great list! I also agree with your statement on Wall too. Once Wall reaches his peak, I think he's gonna be a freak athletic version of Gary Payton. He's well on his way now, but I feel Wall has the potential to be a great versatile defender like Payton. GP at his best was a great passer, great scorer, and great defender capable of defending PG, SG, and many SF's. At 6'4, GP and Frazier own that.

Wall has the goods to be that! Wall sees the game in the floor general-dime droppin aspect that freak athletes like Westbrook and Rose don't see it in. Wall is pass first and dominate scoring second.

payton! :no:
he was getting burned by Aaron Brooks man.....

he doesn't that have that defense mentality or ability...

bizil
12-27-2014, 07:22 PM

As Wall game EVOLVES he could be a freak athletic version of GP!!! I didn't say as of right now. And U ALSO HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND that the defensive rules have changed since Payton's days. U can't be as physical on the perimeter as u could back in the day. PLUS i NEVER SAID he would be as great of a defender as GP. But I DO FEEL Wall can develop into a great defender one day. And don't sleep on Brooks either! He's one of the top backup PG's in the L. Who put up 20 PPG in 2010. Brooks aint a scrub at all!

And Wall EASILY has the ability to be a great defender! 6'4 and 195 pounds plus he's a freakish athlete with long arms. And just like he's improved his passing and floor generalship, I think he can become a great defender. Many have ALREADY compared his potential peak to a Gary Payton!

pethuel03
12-27-2014, 07:34 PM
1. Westbronk
2. Paul
3. Curry
4. Lillard
5. Wall
6. Lowry

Lillard > Wall

tontoz
12-27-2014, 08:48 PM
1. Westbronk
2. Paul
3. Curry
4. Lillard
5. Wall
6. Lowry

Lillard > Wall

The first 3 spots are interchangable to me. Lillard has been very strong and clutch but doesn't get as much publicity playing in Portland.

Good list

Vman23
12-27-2014, 08:50 PM

ESPN'S advanced stats (RPM) have Wall as the best defensive PG in the league this season. I assume he will be All-NBA 1st team defense or 2nd team defense, that's a good start.

SamuraiSWISH
12-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I said he'd be a poor man's Wade. And that's exactly how he plays. Weaker jumper and everything. He's really the most fierce in transition when he can utilize his incredible speed, or ability to change direction at top speeds.

With that said his man defense is very overrated. He racks up steals the same way Iverson did ... he's very active gambling in the passing lanes. It's not from locking someone up from getting by him, forcing them to pick up their dribble then stripping them.

Vman23
12-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I said he'd be a poor man's Wade. And that's exactly how he plays. Weaker jumper and everything. He's really the most fierce in transition when he can utilize his incredible speed, or ability to change direction at top speeds.

With that said his man defense is very overrated. He racks up steals the same way Iverson did ... he's very active gambling in the passing lanes. It's not from locking someone up from getting by him, forcing them to pick up their dribble then stripping them.

Opponents have only about a 15.6 PER against him, which is extremely good. All of the advanced stats show him to be a solid man to man defender. And he REALLY disrupted Chris Paul a few weeks ago head to head.

As far as the Wade comparison, they play nothing alike. Wade was a scorer who happened to be a good playmaker. Wall is a passer first, and a very limited scorer. Wall plays more like Jason Kidd.

SamuraiSWISH
12-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Opponents have only about a 15.6 per against him. All of the advanced stats show him to be a solid man to man defender. And he REALLY disrupted Chris Paul a few weeks ago ahead to ahead.
His on ball defense is overrtaed.

navy
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Defending point guards is a team job, he's fine. Great for his position.

alenleomessi
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dLVhfE31-M

what a genuinely awesome guy

Vman23
12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
His on ball defense is overrtaed.

I don't think anybody considers him a lock-down defender at this point. But he is above average.

tontoz
12-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Among pgs Wall is ranked first, by a lot, in defensive RPM.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Real14
12-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Is a bitch for what he did to Acy and prigioni Christmas and being a bitch after:coleman:

tontoz
12-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Is a bitch for what he did to Acy and prigioni Sunday and being a bitch after:coleman:

Acy didn't even make a play on the ball. It was nothing but a butthurt cheapshot. Obviously his teamates agreed since none of them came to his defense.

Vman23
12-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Just wanted to add, John Wall leads all point guards in assists, steals, blocks, and double doubles. That's pretty impressive.

TheMilkyBarKid
12-28-2014, 02:29 AM
Not quite on the Paul/Westbrook/Curry level, but I'd take him over any other PG right now.

Relinquish
12-28-2014, 02:43 AM

Burned by Aaron Brooks? 13 points on 5-13 shooting is burned? :roll:

You're delusional.

Jyap9675
12-28-2014, 04:29 AM
Best pure PG who does everything. Also helps a lot that he's got a solid squad behind him.

Top Gun
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM
He's getting the best out of that squad though.

ralph_i_el
12-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Is a bitch for what he did to Acy and prigioni Christmas and being a bitch after:coleman:

Yeah he's such a bitch for bumping an old flopper and then getting cheap shotted by some bald bearded ****** who couldn't even get his own team to back him up, then bumped his own coach on his way out of the arena :facepalm

Nobody is as dumb as the shit you post. If you were actually that dumb you'd be illiterate. Quit playing. Quit posting until the Knicks aren't a bumass squad.

Knicks are 20 games behind the Raptors right now. Wanna just ask the Mods to ban you now?

Fudge
12-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Westbrook
Curry
CP3
Lowry
Wall or Lillard. Can't really decide between those two.