PDA

View Full Version : New Trend, the end of tipping?

gts
12-27-2014, 06:37 PM
"We are in a competitive industry and we thought this could be a point of differentiation and originality," said owner Bob Conway. "The customer won't feel the whammy at the end of their experience."

He built tax and gratuity into his menu prices when he opened the restaurant at the start of 2014. The wait staff makes either $10 an hour or 20% of sales (whichever is higher) and Conway said his servers average about $16.50 an hour.

These restaurateurs aren't alone in their move to end tipping.

And while it isn't yet widespread, the movement is particularly catching on in many restaurants in major metropolitan areas.
How much should you tip housekeeping? A travel tipping guide
But no-tip policies are still far from the norm, and have a long way to go before becoming widely accepted.

"This will be the most controversial and most discussed movement of the next year," predicted Andrew Freeman, president of restaurant consulting firm AF&Co.
Part of the controversy relates to whether workers will get shorted.

Federal law requires employers to pay tipped workers $2.13 an hour as long as their total compensation (including tips) equals the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. And some states have issued their own minimum wage laws specific to tipped workers.
Holland said getting rid of tips could be bad for some servers. "The workers who are earning more than minimum wage could actually be getting a decrease in their take-home pay if they weren't allowed to get tips," he said

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/luxury/no-tipping-policy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

BurningHammer
12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Does that push menu prices even higher? Can that really attract customers?

Tips will still be around for those who can.

Batzman
12-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Wow what is Rose gonna do now?

longhornfan1234
12-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I never tip. I'm not giving my money to some liberal hipster douche.

Le Shaqtus
12-27-2014, 07:18 PM
I never tip. I'm not giving my money to some liberal hipster douche.

I can tell you'd be fun to serve.

step_back
12-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I'll tip a bit when I'm at a restaurant but I do think it's over the top. Carrying my food from the kitchen to my table isn't difficult.

The only generous tips I give is to my barber. That's a genuine craft. I'll always pay double around Christmas.

PHX_Phan
12-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Restaurants will still go for tipping because it lets them advertise cheaper prices.

bagelred
12-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You guys don't tip when you go to a restaurant?

You realize you basically have to tip right? 15-20% minimum? That's like...how we do things in America.

Draz
12-27-2014, 07:58 PM
She told me she didn't want just the tip, she wanted the entire thing

KNOW1EDGE
12-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You guys don't tip when you go to a restaurant?

You realize you basically have to tip right? 15-20% minimum? That's like...how we do things in America.

You realize that literally, by law, you aren't required to tip, right?

That's how we do things in America, actually.

Tipping is a scam created by the restaurant industry.

Draz
12-27-2014, 09:21 PM
You realize that literally, by law, you aren't required to tip, right?

That's how we do things in America, actually.

Tipping is a scam created by the restaurant industry.
Yup. We basically help assist their workers in paying them what they should be paying then. In other words we employ them.

BurningHammer
12-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Yup. We basically help assist their workers in paying them what they should be paying then. In other words we employ them.
The problem is that waiters/waitresses still get paid a lot less than minimum because of the tip system. The whole system has to be changed.

JohnnySic
12-27-2014, 10:40 PM
So get rid of tipping and raise prices and give the servers a %. Sounds good to me. Force the non-tippers to pay that way.

Kblaze8855
12-27-2014, 10:56 PM
The problem is that waiters/waitresses still get paid a lot less than minimum because of the tip system. The whole system has to be changed.

Its illegal to pay less than the normal minimum. The tips just cover the difference.

If they didnt cover it in tips(and they do) the employer is required to make it up.

Perhaps they dont always do it...but thats the law.

People have been spreading the idea that waiters can actually be paid 2 dollars an hour for so long people take it as true without looking into it.

The department of labor site has forms you can use to investigate anyone even trying to actually pay a waiter the 2 dollars an hour they claim they make.

They make 2 something...not counting tips. If the tips dont cover the minimum...and they dont get the minimum from the employer?

Illegal.

Plus...a lot of states dont even let them do the 2 dollars. Several have a tipped worker minimum wage...above the federal non tipped minimum.

West coast especially. Cali...Oregon..Washington?

Minimum wage for waiters is 8-9 dollars...PLUS tips.

People think they have it worse than they do.

L.Kizzle
12-27-2014, 11:04 PM
She told me she didn't want just the tip, she wanted the entire thing
Which is basically still the tip for you, right?
:lol

HomieWeMajor
12-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Which is basically still the tip for you, right?
:lol
http://i45.tinypic.com/24ysm00.jpg