PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers is a terrible coach.

Fudge
12-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Clipper fans sick and tired of this clown yet?

Terrible rotations, predictable plays, has more plays drawn for Redick than Griffin lmao.

Dude is such an overrated piece of shit coach.

Finger Roll
12-27-2014, 06:59 PM
It's true. Not sure how you can live on the success of one ring when he did it with the guys he had.

Doctor Rivers
12-27-2014, 07:03 PM
shut up

SwishSquared
12-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Overrated as an Xs/Os guy in terms of coaching, but his work as a GM is even worse.

LoneyROY7
12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I just want Alvin Gentry back. He was a huge reason why we were the number 1 offense last season.

Doc needs to be relieved as the GM. Period.

Milbuck
12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
It's true. Not sure how you can live on the success of one ring when he did it with the guys he had.
http://www.chicitysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/pic58g.jpg

SwishSquared
12-27-2014, 07:17 PM
I want Alvin Gentry back. He was a huge reason why we the number 1 offense last season.
Lol should have simply matched the Warrior's offer. Came down to money and Doc didn't want to pay him. Doc also could have gotten Ron Adams, whom Thibs holds in HIGH regard. Thibs was furious when he took another job due to a pay rise due to stingy Bulls management. Could have had a great coaching staff, no offense to the current guys.

Doc's not doing himself any favors with the way he's running this team. Expecting a first round exit with the way this squad is playing (obviously fluid situation, as it's very early, but something's been off all year).

Sakkreth
12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Sometimes u just play better teams :confusedshrug:

JohnMax
12-27-2014, 07:23 PM
He has been living off the success of Alvin Gentry & Tom Thibodeau

Kevin_Garnett_5
12-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Doc's rotations have always sucked. They probably cost us Game 7 of the 2010 Finals. He's an above average NBA coach, definitely not elite though. He's a good out of timeout play caller, and a great motivator. Outside of that, he's quite average.

Edit: Thibs wasn't some messiah either, the Celtics were still consistently number 1 or 2 defensively after he left up until the 2013 season (where they were 6th with a hobbled, 37 year old KG).

hawksdogsbraves
12-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I've always thought he was super overrated :confusedshrug:

Milbuck
12-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Doc's rotations have always sucked. They probably cost us Game 7 of the 2010 Finals. He's an above average NBA coach, definitely not elite though. He's a good out of timeout play caller, and a great motivator. Outside of that, he's quite average.

Edit: Thibs wasn't some messiah either, the Celtics were still consistently number 1 or 2 defensively after he left up until the 2013 season (where they were 6th with a hobbled, 37 year old KG).
Thibs isn't a messiah but he's a defensive genius in his own right..we've seen it before, just because a coach leaves doesn't mean his principles and philosophies leave with him.

I'm not saying Thibs was the real coach of the 08 Celtics or anything, but I do think he complemented Doc perfectly...and they've both shown their weaknesses without the other. Doc with what's been discussed, and Thibs with his minutes management, stubbornness with breaking from rotations, offensive adaptability, etc.

themurph
12-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Terrible rotations, predictable plays, has more plays drawn for Redick than Griffin lmao.

If I knew little about B-Ball I'm would def. think Doc was a terrible coach...

But since I know my hoops sh&*t then I'm able to see that the Clips have just about the weakest wings on any "contending" team in the NBA....When u r depending on Matt Barnes and the likes of Hedo to open up things for that team then u r in trouble....

navy
12-27-2014, 07:45 PM
To be fair to Doc the Clippers are completely lacking in defensive firepower.

SwishSquared
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
To be fair to Doc the Clippers are completely lacking in defensive firepower.
That is true, but he signed guys like Farmar, Hawes (injured a bunch, I know), CDR, Hedo, Glen Davis, etc. and expected that the defense would be okay? That the offense would be good enough to compensate?

Doc messed up this past year's draft pick (so it seems, at least) and missed out on signing some better players for this roster. Could have had James Johnson for just under the BAE, gotten Aaron Brooks for the min (instead of Farmar), signed Hawes for less than full MLE (so Clips wouldn't face a hard cap), and could've landed Ed Davis potentially (he's only making the minimum, though his agent may have directed him to LAL).

He just went for the wrong guys honestly and has mismanaged picks, exceptions, and trades. I think he's currently overmatched trying to hold down both GM and coaching roles, but won't admit it.

EDIT: I know I've posted similar sentiments dozens of times, but he's made a ton of mistakes in such a short amount of time. Deserves criticism until he starts to build a better roster.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
12-27-2014, 08:22 PM
No idea why the media loves this guy. Overrated in every aspect. He owes everything to KG and Thibs

Funnyfuka
12-27-2014, 08:44 PM
seeing how poorly he does as a clippers coach, made me realize how lucky he was to coach the big 5 in boston.

masonanddixon
12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
He's terrible and I have been saying it for a while. Everyone exaggerated del Negro's deficiencies because he is white; yet everyone tries to minimize Rivers' ineptitude because he's black.

COnDEMnED
12-27-2014, 10:38 PM
I thought it was common knowledge he was on the hot seat in Boston, on the verge of getting fired before Ray Allen and KG showed up. He's good at motivational speeches...that's about it. Any coach could have won with that championship Celtics team.

stalkerforlife
12-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Bu bu bu bu BUT if you think Rivers is a bad coach, you're racist.

stalkerforlife
12-27-2014, 10:42 PM
He's terrible and I have been saying it for a while. Everyone exaggerated del Negro's deficiencies because he is white; yet everyone tries to minimize Rivers' ineptitude because he's black.

Bingo.

T_L_P
12-27-2014, 10:42 PM
I don't think he's a terrible coach, per se.

He's very personable, he gets his players to buy in, he draws up good plays, and I'd say overall he's a good offensive coach.

But anyone placing him in the top ten coaches is having a laugh. He rode Thibs in Boston and, so far, he's underachieved in L.A.

JohnnySic
12-27-2014, 10:43 PM
http://h-4.abload.de/img/0070_pq3p.gif

ArbitraryWater
12-27-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/doc-rivers.gif

masonanddixon
12-27-2014, 10:47 PM
http://h-4.abload.de/img/0070_pq3p.gif

The dude always has an expression of exasperation and disbelief on his face. I just want to punch him the **** out.

T_L_P
12-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Unquestionably better coaches:

Carlisle
Popovich
Thibs
Bud
Joerger
Spo
Hornacek
Stotts
Vogel
Stan Van

Better coaches but some argument can be made:

Hollins
Kidd
Wittman

Kerr is probably better but he needs to coach a full season. Brett Brown could vault into the top 5 depending on how well he rebuilds.

RagaZ
12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Are the X's and O's really that important?

I mean, even Alex Ferguson was an average manager when it came to tactics.

HOoopCityJones
12-27-2014, 11:09 PM
CP3 deserves more blame imo. This guy gets overrated to shit every season.

sportsfan76
12-27-2014, 11:28 PM

I said the same thing even when boston won the title in 2008:roll: :roll:

sportsfan76
12-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Bu bu bu bu BUT if you think Rivers is a bad coach, you're racist.

now you sound crazy, can you log out for me?

hawksdogsbraves
12-27-2014, 11:36 PM

X's and O's are more important in basketball than soccer, though managing personalities is always going to be a factor as well.

Magic731
12-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Unquestionably better coaches:

Carlisle
Popovich
Thibs
Bud
Joerger
Spo
Hornacek
Stotts
Vogel
Stan Van

Better coaches but some argument can be made:

Hollins
Kidd
Wittman

Kerr is probably better but he needs to coach a full season. Brett Brown could vault into the top 5 depending on how well he rebuilds.
I really don't think it's possible for fans to rank coaches like this. Aside from the elite few, you pretty much have to throw the rest into a hat. So much of their work goes on behind the scenes that it becomes either guesswork or we end up ranking them based on half of their job description.

JohnFreeman
12-28-2014, 12:18 AM
His son is shit as well

masonanddixon
12-28-2014, 12:46 AM

4th quarters are all about Xs and Os, son. Thats why Popovich has 5 rings.

bdreason
12-28-2014, 12:52 AM
The bench isn't giving them anything, and they don't have any good perimeter defenders besides CP3, who also has to run the offense. If CP3 gets outplayed like he did tonight against Lowry, the Clippers aren't going to win, period.

sportsfan76
12-28-2014, 12:54 AM
The bench isn't giving them anything, and they don't have any good perimeter defenders besides CP3, who also has to run the offense. If CP3 gets outplayed like he did tonight against Lowry, the Clippers aren't going to win, period.

And it's worst when the coach is a dickhead

masonanddixon
12-28-2014, 12:57 AM

Reddick is a better defender than Chris Paul

I<3NBA
12-28-2014, 02:21 AM
Thibs wasn't some messiah either, the Celtics were still consistently number 1 or 2 defensively after he left up until the 2013 season (where they were 6th with a hobbled, 37 year old KG).
lol, because the coach leaving meant the players will suddenly forget the defensive philosphies he taught.

the fk kind of thought is that? ofc the celts would still be good defensively even after Thibs left. he already taught them how to play defense for fks sakes! it's not like they'll suddenly forget what he taught them, or that they had changed personnel when he left. their defensive core was intact, and so was the defense Thibs implemented. Rivers just left Thibs defense alone and did not try to change it that's why they were still defensively good.

the fact that Thibs brought that defense to the Bulls certainly proves Celts defense can be attributed to Thibs, not Rivers.

Spoelstra is leagues better than Rivers. even if he had the big 3, facing Pop should have exposed him. but he went toe to toe with Pop in 2013 and is 1-1 vs Pop.

smoovegittar
12-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Negged for race baiting. Dude, you suck.

Top Gun
12-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Both him and CP3 are overrated, mainly because they are so loved by the media who will never bad mouth them.

disel
12-28-2014, 01:25 PM
his team is deeper then paris hiltons vag!na no excuses for dem to be this bad.

TylerOO
12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
CP3 deserves more blame imo. This guy gets overrated to shit every season.

By the casual fans and sheeple. Real fans know wassup

comerb
12-28-2014, 02:14 PM
I always thought he was overrated as a coach. The Celtics were never as good offensively as they *should* have been, and there defensive scheme was far more attributable to Thibodeau than Doc.

I do think he is a good player manager though.

SpecialQue
12-28-2014, 02:35 PM
His son is shit as well

I don't know why but this made me laugh my ass off.

Fiasco
12-28-2014, 02:37 PM
This topic seems to reincarnate itself every year lol

Rivers is an above average coach. But is a horrible general manager.

Missed the ball on so many pick ups it's astounding. Going after guys like Hawes while Matt Barnes and Reggie Bullock remain your "key" depth on the wing.

Actually scratch that, just going after a guy like Hawes at all.

His acquisition are so profoundly bad yet the Clippers are masquerading basketball under an impression of having "depth" when there is hardly anyone off the bench that deserves to play significant minutes on a contender.

Guys like Crawford, Hawes, and Davis aren't going to bring stability to your bench. And "complementing" them with guys like Farmar, CDR, and Turkoglu is horrible management.

SwishSquared
12-28-2014, 02:41 PM
I think you have to blame Doc though for the bench personnel. He signed a lot of these guys and they're not working out. For the same money he spent this summer on guys, he could have had Brooks, James Johnson, Anthony Tolliver, and Ed Davis over guys like Farmar, CDR, Hawes, G. Davis, Hedo, etc. After botching the Bledsoe trade, he had to dump Dudley with that future first this summer.

Also had KJ McDaniels available and took Wilcox instead (he's a much better shooter but likely a worse defender). KJ's already an impact defender and one of the better rookies this year.

His coaching staff got worse this summer, some rotation players are aging now, and he's not a good GM. For a coach who relies on player management instead of Xs/Os, that's not a great recipe for success.

Nike D'Antoni
09-17-2020, 08:15 PM
it is funny this thread was created in 2014, and still goes to today