PDA

View Full Version : Is Scott Brooks the right man to lead OKC to a Championship?

Top Gun
12-28-2014, 02:07 PM
There's no doubting he's done a solid job and has had to deal with injuries to star players at bad times. But is he the right man to take this group of players to the Championship?

Eric Cartman
12-28-2014, 02:11 PM
:lol

navy
12-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes and no. The Thunder were a top 5 defense with neither Durant or Westbrook playing.
The Thunder are not changing changing coaches, Westbrook and Durant just need to play better if they want to win.

Batzman
12-28-2014, 03:24 PM
solid job?

It took him how long to finally bench Perkins?

Taller than CP3
12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Scott Brooks should go back to coaching high school girls basketball.

K Xerxes
12-28-2014, 06:04 PM
There's no doubting he's done a solid job

What? He's the worst coach in the league. Perhaps debatable with McHale. No redeeming features to his coaching style.

A glorified cheerleader dressed in a suit.

Westbrook0
12-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Coming from a hardcore, studious Thunder fan who has essentially watched every game since the team moved to OKC...

There is a decent coach down inside Scott Brooks somewhere. It simply never shows itself when Russ or KD are playing.

If you watched every game of the Thunder's 3-12 start this year like I did, you would see that, inexplicably, the Thunder were running an offense. They had motion, passing, and a plan. Their defense was top-notch as well. It's as if Brooks realized that without KD and Russ, he really needed to do something. I commend Brooks for his coaching effort during that 3-12 stretch.

However, when Russ and/or KD are playing, all semblance of a quality coach completely disappears. He stands there and does nothing while KD and Russ run everything. I'll never understand what he says when he calls a timeout before a last-second play. It's always just KD or Russ taking their guy one-on-one. What is he drawing up??

T_L_P
12-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Yes and no. The Thunder were a top 5 defense with neither Durant or Westbrook playing.
The Thunder are not changing changing coaches, Westbrook and Durant just need to play better if they want to win.

This. Not to sound like a LeBron stan, but there are really no excuses.

They have two of the five best players in the world. Their role players are mostly solid. They just need to raise their games in the Playoffs, and start playing good defense (in the Playoffs). Every year they don't win is a huge blip, just like it was for both Shaq and Kobe in 03 and 04 (and in 03 their role players were a lot worse than OKC's).

fpliii
12-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Scott Brooks is bitchmade. Awful rotations and offensive sets.

I do think he deserves some credit for OKC's defense though. They overachieve on that end pretty consistently each season.

russwest0

They are a top 5 defense because everyone they draft has elite height, length, and athleticism for their position, and in many cases were elite defenders in college.

Roberson and Westbrook were both DPOY's in their college conferences, Adams is a solid defender for his age, Ibaka is a DPOY candidate every year, and Durant is a great defender who keeps getting better each year.

All Brooks does as a coach is basically say "go play." Pretty much everything he does aside from that actively makes the team worse.

PsychoBe

They have two of the five best players in the world. Their role players are mostly solid. They just need to raise their games in the Playoffs, and start playing good defense (in the Playoffs). Every year they don't win is a huge blip, just like it was for both Shaq and Kobe in 03 and 04 (and in 03 their role players were a lot worse than OKC's).

they had injuries the last two post seasons :facepalm

russwest0
12-28-2014, 06:35 PM

They would have won in 2013 without the Westbrook injury.

2014 was inexcusable and mainly a loss due to horrid coaching. OKC's management really dropped the ball by not firing Brooks last offseason. That alone might be the decision that has Durant on his way out in two offseasons.

SOD 21
12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Some coaches are ideal for young players by building a family type environment, helping to build up young players, and can help transform teams from bad to elite. It made sense to keep things simple when their core group of players were 21 and 22 years old and it was better off to let their talent rule the day.

But there are some coaches that are simply unable to hold her superstars accountable and replacement as necessary. Scott Brooks looks hesitant to hold his superstars accountable and his main plan is so just simply let them ad-lib and be great, which works great in the regular season and against vastly inferior opponents.

I don't see Scott Brooks as able to lead this team to championship. But the players love him and this leaves the front office for Oklahoma City in quite a quandary.

sammichoffate
12-28-2014, 08:31 PM
He's like Doc Rivers. He can manage team personalities, but can't do good rotations or X's and O's for shit. A poster already said that the current roster has very good defenders, so I can't really give him credit for that when there's no offense. OKC won't win the title this year barring god-like play from WB and KD in the playoffs if they make it.

Done_And_Done
12-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Coming from a hardcore, studious Thunder fan who has essentially watched every game since the team moved to OKC...

There is a decent coach down inside Scott Brooks somewhere. It simply never shows itself when Russ or KD are playing.

If you watched every game of the Thunder's 3-12 start this year like I did, you would see that, inexplicably, the Thunder were running an offense. They had motion, passing, and a plan. Their defense was top-notch as well. It's as if Brooks realized that without KD and Russ, he really needed to do something. I commend Brooks for his coaching effort during that 3-12 stretch.

However, when Russ and/or KD are playing, all semblance of a quality coach completely disappears. He stands there and does nothing while KD and Russ run everything. I'll never understand what he says when he calls a timeout before a last-second play. It's always just KD or Russ taking their guy one-on-one. What is he drawing up??

Do you believe that his stars do as they please (shoot at will, excessive iso ball) because of his flawed coaching strategies or do they just tune him out because they can?

I guess the cause and effect all boil down to slack coaching anyway. I totally agree with you on this btw...

Top Gun
12-29-2014, 04:59 PM
If they had someone like Pop or Carlisle who put them in a proper offensive system I just feel they could go to another level.

Budadiiii
12-29-2014, 05:02 PM
If they had someone like Pop or Carlisle who put them in a proper offensive system I just feel they could go to another level.
Of course. Absolutely. No question. 10 rings.

navy
12-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Are you sure Russ and Durant would accept different offensive roles?

Top Gun
12-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Durant, yes.

Westbrook, probably not :oldlol:

Budadiiii
12-29-2014, 05:08 PM
They'll do whatever it takes to win. You've been watching these guys play for how long and you haven't yet figured out the way they're wired? :facepalm

Yeah, they're gonna throw a tantrum because some basketball genius is giving them the strategy to win championships. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Durant would hate getting wide open shots from good ball movement instead of having to iso his way to 30 a night. Hate it.

Graviton
12-29-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't get this, have you seen Westbrook in FIBA and Olympics? He accepts his role and plays more of an off-ball cutter, defensive disruptor game. He does whatever his coach asks him to do. In his 2nd and 3rd season when he was getting 8APG and taking fewer shots there wasn't this idiotic narrative. But Brooks ASKED him to be more aggressive, in every interview from 2012 to now he says that same shit.

Do you honestly think Durant and Westbrook like to jack up contested jumpers while the 3 other guys are standing around doing nothing?

NZStreetBaller
12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Come on guys hes not that bad. He took this team to 2 western conference finals in arguebly the toughest west conference ever. And hes taken them to the nba finals. I think when a great team fails to win the chip people start trying to point the finger. He obviously wanted the experienced man on the court in perk. Okc has been a very young team.

Top Gun
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
I wasn't necessarily saying he was a bad coach, just whether he was the right man to coach this group of players.

navy
12-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Come on guys hes not that bad. He took this team to 2 western conference finals in arguebly the toughest west conference ever. And hes taken them to the nba finals. I think when a great team fails to win the chip people start trying to point the finger. He obviously wanted the experienced man on the court in perk. Okc has been a very young team.
This is why he wont get fired, even if he should. Plus the stars love him it seems. If Durant and Westbrook throw him under the bus, he's gone.

TheBigVeto
12-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Only if he benches LowIQbrook during 4th quarter of close games.

JohnFreeman
12-29-2014, 10:11 PM
They should win on talent alone..