Eric Bana - who?
Leonardo DiCaprio - Titanic/Catch me if you can

Knicks101
12-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Where's Arnold?

Raymone
12-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Here are the correct answers

Jim Carrey: I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)
Adam Sandler: Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
Daniel Day-Lewis: There Will Be Blood (2007)
Eric Bana: Chopper (2000)
Leonardo DiCaprio: The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

You're welcome.

ArbitraryWater
12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Everyone's different :lol

Best movie is probably more different/subjective than best acting performance...

"Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" is def the general consensus for carrey.. Will convince myself.

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 01:46 AM
Carey- The Truman Show/Eternal Sunshine (love both of them a lot)
Sandler- Punch Drunk Love
Lewis- There Will Be Blood
Bana- Munich
DiCaprio- The Wolf of Wall Street

L.Kizzle
12-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Earth Girls are Easy
Funny People
Gangs of New York
Who the fck is Eric Banana?
Romeo + Juliet

T_L_P
12-31-2014, 06:44 AM
Best film they were in:

Carrey: Man on the Moon (though, looking at his filmography, 95% of his films are pathetic)

Sandler: Punch Drunk Love (PTA's worst film but still the best thing Sandler's been in, by far)

DDL: There Will be Blood

Bana: Finding Nemo (haven't seen Black Hawk Down but it doesn't look that good)

DiCaprio: The Departed

LEFT4DEAD
12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Leonardo DiCaprio: Shutter Island (and its not even close)

JohnnySic
12-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Carrey - The Mask
Sandler - Happy Gilmore I guess
Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Bana - Troy
DeCaprio - The Departed

rufuspaul
12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Jim Carrey-The Cable Guy
Adam Sandler-Happy Gilmore
Daniel Day-Lewis-Age of Innocence
Eric Bana-Munich
Leonardo DiCaprio-The Basketball Diaries

alenleomessi
12-31-2014, 09:55 AM
this thread just proves di caprio is on the pace to become the goat..
from whats eating gilbert grape to the basketball diaries to titanic to gangs of ny to catch me if you can to the aviator to the departed to shutter island to inception to django to the wolf of wall street.. and he seems to be getting better with age.. just turned 40.. holly shit

Patrick Chewing
12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
from whats eating gilbert grape to the basketball diaries to titanic to gangs of ny to catch me if you can to the aviator to the departed to shutter island to inception to django to the wolf of wall street.. and he seems to be getting better with age.. just turned 40.. holly shit

And yet DDL has only made 5 films since 1998 and holds 3 Academy Awards.

If you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooo!

FKAri
12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
And yet DDL has only made 5 films since 1998 and holds 3 Academy Awards.

If you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooo!

2/5 >> 0 fer

STATUTORY
12-31-2014, 10:49 AM

he was a more versatile actor earlier in his career too

Myth
12-31-2014, 11:39 AM
My favorite film of each:

Jim Carrey - Me, Myself, and Irene
Adam Sandler - Happy Gilmore
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Eric Bana - Star Trek
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Departed/Django Unchained

Myth
12-31-2014, 11:42 AM

He may end up with the greatest collection of movies. DDL is the better actor though.

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Lewis is one of the best ever but not the best. Guy is overrated

Myth
12-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Lewis is one of the best ever but not the best. Guy is overrated

Who do you have over him?

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Who do you have over him?
Brando, Newman, De Niro, Stewart off the top of my head

My biggest problem with Lewis is he really lacks restraint. You can always see him acting which works for There Will Be Blood but not always. There's a lack of naturalism in his work. Not saying he's bad because he's one of the best ever but his style is limited compared to De Niro who can be showy like in Raging Bull or very subtle in The Deer Hunter. Some of the best acting is when you can't tell someone is acting

Myth
12-31-2014, 12:39 PM

My biggest problem with Lewis is he really lacks restraint. You can always see him acting which works for There Will Be Blood but not always. There's a lack of naturalism in his work. Not saying he's bad because he's one of the best ever but his style is limited compared to De Niro who can be showy like in Raging Bull or very subtle in The Deer Hunter. Some of the best acting is when you can't tell someone is acting

I think he is a more talented actor than those guys, but you make a good point. For me, one of the most telling things is when they become a character and you no longer see them as the real person (e.g., I never see Heath Ledger when I watch him as the Joker). With DDL, I always see him as the character rather than DDL, even though he is not typically subtle. All the guys you listed I frequently see as themselves.

JohnnySic
12-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Lewis gets so immersed in his character that you forget that he's an actor. He becomes the character.

Compare to someone like, say, Johnny Depp - great actor as well, but when I watch him, I know I'm watching Johnny Depp playing a character.

EDIT: Myth basically said what I said.

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I think he is a more talented actor than those guys, but you make a good point. For me, one of the most telling things is when they become a character and you no longer see them as the real person (e.g., I never see Heath Ledger when I watch him as the Joker). With DDL, I always see him as the character rather than DDL, even though he is not typically subtle. All the guys you listed I frequently see as themselves.
Fair point. I don't dislike DDL at all, he's actually one of my favorites. I just don't think he's the greatest ever

Heilige
12-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Good points. What are your thoughts on people who say DiCaprio is going to end up as the GOAT? I feel people are overrating him. Is he really going to end up better than people like Brando, Newman, DeNiro, etc?

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Good points. What are your thoughts on people who say DiCaprio is going to end up as the GOAT? I feel people are overrating him. Is he really going to end up better than people like Brando, Newman, DeNiro, etc?
Very talented but I don't think he'll be top 10 all time although among leading stars, he will be one of the best

DonDadda59
12-31-2014, 01:23 PM

This is true, but somehow he makes it work. Making over-acting into great acting is something I've never seen anyone do (Jack Nicholson is another candidate I suppose). That alone puts him in the conversation for best ever :lol

His best acting was done when he was a teenager. He's gotten progressively worse/stale as he's aged. Gilbert Grape, Basketball Diaries were his best work. Since then he's been trying to pass off squinting as acting.

And a lot of the movies you named from his later life, he wasn't even the best actor in them.

Catch Me If You Can- Tom Hanks

Departed- Nicholson stole the show. Even Wahlberg was nominated over him.

Gangs of New York- Completely overshadowed and taken to acting school by DDL.

Heilige
12-31-2014, 01:28 PM
This is true, but somehow he makes it work. Making over-acting into great acting is something I've never seen anyone do (Jack Nicholson is another candidate I suppose). That alone puts him in the conversation for best ever :lol

His best acting was done when he was a teenager. He's gotten progressively worse/stale as he's aged. Gilbert Grape, Basketball Diaries were his best work. Since then he's been trying to pass off squinting as acting.

And a lot of the movies you named from his later life, he wasn't even the best actor in them.

What are your thoughts on his acting in Wolf of Wall Street, The Great Gatsby and Django Unchained?

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Bruh DiCaprio was easily the best in Catch Me If You Can. His charm carried that entire movie and Hanks was pretty bland. I preferred him to Nicholson in Departed but yea its arguable. No disagreement with Gangs of New York

Heilige
12-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Very talented but I don't think he'll be top 10 all time although among leading stars, he will be one of the best

What is your top 10 all time list?

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 01:45 PM
What is your top 10 all time list?
1. Marlon Brando
2. Robert De Niro
3. Paul Newman
4. James Stewart
5. Daniel Day-Lewis
6. Jack Nicholson
7. Al Pacino
8. Cary Grant
9. Dustin Hoffman
10. Tom Hanks

Honorable Mention: Jack Lemmon, Humphrey Bogart, Anthony Hopkins, Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman

I just thought it up right now. There's a lot of very tough character actors like Philip Seymour Hoffman but I decided to exclude them and just go with "leading" actors to make it easier to list

DonDadda59
12-31-2014, 01:58 PM
What are your thoughts on his acting in Wolf of Wall Street, The Great Gatsby and Django Unchained?

I thought his acting in Wolf was solid, but nowhere near the calibre of McConnaughey (sp?), Ejiofor, or even Phoenix (possibly the best and most underrated actor working today) that year. Didn't see Gatsby because Lurhman is a hack and didn't want to see him butcher my favorite book. He was again, decent in Django.

Bruh DiCaprio was easily the best in Catch Me If You Can. His charm carried that entire movie and Hanks was pretty bland. I preferred him to Nicholson in Departed but yea its arguable. No disagreement with Gangs of New York

That's arguable at best, but you have Hanks in your top 10 so you'd agree he's far ahead of Leo in the 'GOAT' argument.

Myth
12-31-2014, 01:59 PM
1. Marlon Brando
2. Robert De Niro
3. Paul Newman
4. James Stewart
5. Daniel Day-Lewis
6. Jack Nicholson
7. Al Pacino
8. Cary Grant
9. Dustin Hoffman
10. Tom Hanks

Honorable Mention: Jack Lemmon, Humphrey Bogart, Anthony Hopkins, Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman

I just thought it up right now. There's a lot of very tough character actors like Philip Seymour Hoffman but I decided to exclude them and just go with "leading" actors to make it easier to list

I'm too lazy to list mine so no sweat if you don't want to put the effort in either, but do you have a top 10 of actors active in the last 10 years or so?

Heilige
12-31-2014, 02:05 PM
sort of off topic, what are your thoughts on Frank Sinatra as an actor?

Patrick Chewing
12-31-2014, 03:19 PM
I think he is a more talented actor than those guys, but you make a good point. For me, one of the most telling things is when they become a character and you no longer see them as the real person .

This is why I think his best role was Bill the Butcher. You almost rooted for his character even though he was downright wretched.

ArbitraryWater
12-31-2014, 03:41 PM

The academies have screwed him out too many times.. they still saw him as some teen heart-throb.

He should be sitting on 3 Oscars minimum... THE GOAT.

Of course DDL was > Di Caprio in Gangs of New York... That probably should have been another Oscar for DDL.

But DiCaprio MADE Catch Me If You Can, and was better than Nicholson in Departed...

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 03:59 PM
You like eternal sunshine and are callin other people soft :yaohappy:
yea I like movies like eternal sunshine but I don't act like a soft, feminine nikka in real life :lol

STATUTORY
12-31-2014, 04:03 PM
ever since The Aviator dicaprio has taken increasingly smaller range of roles and lost that versatility from his youth.

Total Eclipse, Celebrity, Beach, Titanic, Romeo & Juliet, Basketball Diaries, Gilbert Grape, that movie with Deniro where he's a kid, etc

now he's an exclusively blockbuster action flick or some wealthy man with issues actor

STATUTORY
12-31-2014, 04:04 PM
You like eternal sunshine and are callin other people soft :yaohappy:

:lol dude knew he messed up and listed some hard edge movies to compensate after that

KingBeasley08
12-31-2014, 06:32 PM
You ever get caught watching that shit and you gotta act like you thought it was that dum and dummer?
nah cuz dum and dummer is dumb as fck. horrible movie, mask >>>>

:lol dude knew he messed up and listed some hard edge movies to compensate after that

you tryna white knight for macho :coleman:

Graviton
12-31-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think anyone is topping Hanks' resume. Di Caprio has been in some great movies but Tom's overall body of work>Leo.

KyrieTheFuture
12-31-2014, 08:26 PM
So people are discrediting Leo's current body of work and not Jack Nicholsons? He plays the same character in every movie too.

Knicks101
12-31-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't think anyone is topping Hanks' resume. Di Caprio has been in some great movies but Tom's overall body of work>Leo.

Ever heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger?

qrich
01-01-2015, 12:36 AM
I Love You Phillip Morris
Billy Madison
TWBB
Munich/Lucky You
Departed

Raymone
01-01-2015, 12:44 AM
So many plebs in here who've either never seen Chopper or have shit taste.

JohnFreeman
01-01-2015, 12:47 AM
DDL in a class of his own

Patrick Chewing
01-01-2015, 01:20 AM
"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed."

"I can't keep doing this on my own. With these.....people. (laughter)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BXqQWqYJU

That laugh at the end. Epic.