PDA

View Full Version : NYC has more people than it ever had and the lowest number of murders in 50 years.

KevinNYC
01-01-2015, 06:26 AM
NYC has a population of 8.4 million people. This is up from 1980 when a million people left the city during the 1970's. 600,000 commute into the city every workday. (Manhattan's population actually doubles during workdays.)

NYC had 328 murders in 2014, the lowest since 1963.
Robberies were the lowest ever recorded, just 15% of what they were in 1981.

:applause:

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 06:30 AM
The rent is stupid high there and its ranked the most unhappiest city

http://time.com/3023503/unhappiest-cities/

Move to Chicago.

Goon Time
01-01-2015, 06:42 AM
The rent is stupid high there and its ranked the most unhappiest city

http://time.com/3023503/unhappiest-cities/

Move to Chicago.

yea, move next to a bunch of fat white people who can't talk goodest

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 07:07 AM
yea, move next to a bunch of fat white people who can't talk goodest

Fat people are everywhere.

Living where rent of $3,000 a month isn't.

You're still in poverty if u make 50,000 a year in NYC for crying out loud

Patrick Chewing
01-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Move to Chicago.

And get murdered within a week.

~primetime~
01-01-2015, 11:49 AM
I think it's because the price of living rising. I have a relative that lives in NYC and she is a Princeton grad and she moved to one of the "poor" areas and says she feels safe. I believe she lives in the Bronx.

I also remember reading an article about how the Brooklyn apartment that Biggie Smalls grew up in is now in $millions and how that's a nice area now.

I think NYC is becoming a place for the rich only, that's my guess anyway. I know there are still ghetto areas in NY but it sounds like some of them are transforming for the better.

knickballer
01-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Well yeah because the apartments in NYC aren't meant for individuals making $50k/yr.. Most of the people who make $50K a year will live in the neighboring boroughs and suburbs and commute to the city.

rufuspaul
01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
The rent is stupid high there

This. Move the riffraff out of town and watch the murder rate plunge. Kevin would prefer to attribute it to Obama though.

knickballer
01-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I think it's because the price of living rising. I have a relative that lives in NYC and she is a Princeton grad and she moved to one of the "poor" areas and says she feels safe. I believe she lives in the Bronx.

I also remember reading an article about how the Brooklyn apartment that Biggie Smalls grew up in is now in $millions and how that's a nice area now.

I think NYC is becoming a place for the rich only, that's my guess anyway. I know there are still ghetto areas in NY but it sounds like some of them are transforming for the better.

Some areas are going through a process of "gentrification" such as Harlem, etc, where Yuppies are moving in due to the close proximity to the city and are "rebuilding" the neighborhood, alot of investment follows from companies looking to set up shop in the area too. This probably makes the property value go up which attracts higher income individuals and encourages the current residents who are poorer to cash in. The lower income residents are against gentrification because they feel their neighborhood is losing their culture and they are being driven out. But ironically they also complain that there's not enough investment in their areas but when gentrification happens they complain.

Property is in real demand in the NYC area so I just assume they are kinda forcing out the low income people living in these areas into housing projects outside of these areas or in the designated "Ghettos" and once they leave they just renovate the area. Or that's what I think is pretty much happening

KyrieTheFuture
01-01-2015, 12:15 PM
NYC is awful

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Well yeah because the apartments in NYC aren't meant for individuals making $50k/yr.. Most of the people who make $50K a year will live in the neighboring boroughs and suburbs and commute to the city.

50,000 a year could easily pay the mortgage and taxes on a $350K*house in Cook County

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Some areas are going through a process of "gentrification" such as Harlem, etc, where Yuppies are moving in due to the close proximity to the city and are "rebuilding" the neighborhood, alot of investment follows from companies looking to set up shop in the area too. This probably makes the property value go up which attracts higher income individuals and encourages the current residents who are poorer to cash in. The lower income residents are against gentrification because they feel their neighborhood is losing their culture and they are being driven out. But ironically they also complain that there's not enough investment in their areas but when gentrification happens they complain.

Property is in real demand in the NYC area so I just assume they are kinda forcing out the low income people living in these areas into housing projects outside of these areas or in the designated "Ghettos" and once they leave they just renovate the area. Or that's what I think is pretty much happening

Most of them move south. I got family in Orlando complain about the vast number of new yorkers moving down there. Lol

STATUTORY
01-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Move to Chicago.

from world class metropolis to a crime ridden regional market town

in the long run Chicago is heading to Detroit status

GimmeThat
01-01-2015, 01:12 PM
and it makes you wonder what "home" means

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Thats why the crime rate is dropping?

MightyWhitey
01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
NYC has a population of 8.4 million people. This is up from 1980 when a million people left the city during the 1970's. 600,000 commute into the city every workday. (Manhattan's population actually doubles during workdays.)

NYC had 328 murders in 2014, the lowest since 1963.
Robberies were the lowest ever recorded, just 15% of what they were in 1981.

:applause:
Thanks to everything Giuliani and Bloomberg did to make this city safe. Let's see how long comrade di blasio will take to undo everything these great men worked so hard to accomplish.

MightyWhitey
01-01-2015, 01:51 PM

This is why racists like yourself will forever live in the ghetto waiting for a government handout. instead of sitting around being angry at white people get off your lazy ass and do something productive with your crappy life.

KevinNYC
01-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks to everything Giuliani and Bloomberg did to make this city safe. Let's see how long comrade di blasio will take to undo everything these great men worked so hard to accomplish.

Ah the Giuliani narrative. It never dies does it.

De Blasio was sworn into office on January 1, 2014. It is now January 1, 2015. This thread is about the fact that NYC has more people than ever and now has less murders than ever, a further reduction off a record year in 2013. Also
The city was on track to see reductions in overall crime, and specifically in burglaries, robberies, rapes and felony assaults, pending final statistics, officials said. So if you think Mayor's are responsible for crime, the record low murders and the reduction in overall crime happened while De Blasio was in office.

Regarding the Giuliani narrative, (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2007/sep/01/how-much-credit-giuliani-due-fighting-crime/) he shares something in common with De Blasio: they both inherited falling crime rates
Violent crime in New York began falling three years before Giuliani took office in 1994, U.S. Justice Department records show. Property crime began falling four years before.So the idea that Giuliani "turned the city around" is false. Also NYC was not unique
New York was no anomaly, but was part of a trend that saw crime fall sharply nationwide in the 1990s, particularly in big cities. The city with the best record for reducing violent crime during this period? San Francisco......many criminologists believe the decline in New York, as in Chicago, San Diego, Miami and elsewhere, was the result of a complex mix of social and demographic changes, including a break in the crack cocaine epidemic, an improving economy, and increased prison terms for proven lawbreakers.

Giuliani and his team deserve credit for accelerating the decline in crime that he inherited, but not for any turnaround. Giuliani took over in 1994. Crime was already down off it's peak in NYC and Nationwide

National
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53531000/gif/_53531459_murder_rates464x316.gif

By City
http://media.economist.com/images/20090829/CUS097.gif

http://blog.amebulo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Crime.gif

KevinNYC
01-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Giuliani also benefitted from two things that preceded him in the early 90's.

One is Mayor Dinkins had a "safe streets, safe city" campaign that sucessfully persuaded the State legislature to fund the hiring of more cops. By Law now, NYC needed to have over 38,000 cops.

a massive NYPD hiring spree launched (in 1992) that added 10,225 officers to the NYPD in a four-year span from 1993 to 1997.
the Safe Streets, Safe City program begun during the Dinkins administration. It raised the size of the force to a record 38,310 officers.

Getting these cops hired and then trained at the academy meant that most of the new cops started hitting the streets at the beginning of the Giuliani era. (70 % of this spending was reserved for fiscal year 1993)

Second is that the New York City Transit Police Department which was separate from NYPD back then hired Bill Bratton in 1990. He noticed a very talented Lieutenant named Jack Maple who created a new management tool to fight crime and they did decrease crime in the subways significantly. This tool eventually became comuterized and was known as Comstat.

It is to Giuliani's credit that he made Bratton Police commissioner when he took over. Bratton and Maple then took Comstat to the NYPD>

It is to Giuliani's discredit that two years later he forced Bratton out of the NYPD (http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/27/nyregion/bratton-resignation-overview-bratton-quits-police-post-new-york-gains-over-crime.html?src=pm&pagewanted=1) becuase Bratton was getting too much recognition

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/fireunderembers/files/2012/03/2011_08_bratton2.jpg

Maple pissed off at this move followed Bratton out the door.

In 2014, Mayor De Blasio brought Bill Bratton back to NYC to be Police Commissioner again

MightyWhitey
01-01-2015, 05:40 PM
In 2014, Mayor De Blasio brought Bill Bratton back to NYC to be Police Commissioner again
Comrade do blas has done a bang up job with bratton. Kudos to both these bums who have blood on their hands. And former mayor stinkins was a one termer because of the crown heights riots making everything you posted about him null and void

JebronLames
01-01-2015, 06:28 PM

Lebron hater with a lebron avatar. At least the rent is free for me.

TylerOO
01-01-2015, 06:29 PM
How many of those were by the NYPD?

:oldlol:

niko
01-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Dinkins probably had less crime reported because under him cops didn't want to go into black neighborhoods. It was horrible at that time. I don't care what the stats say, the actual turnaround was under Gilluiani and finished under Bloomberg because that's when the "black" neighborhoods went from places that you'd never go into places that were safe to live. Under Dinkins things went from shitty to less shitty.

My friend lives with her daughter on Marcy ave where Jay plied his trade prior to being a rapper. Things change.

And Mayor Douchebag is trying to **** up the NYPD as much as he can. When the Staten Island incident happened he had two choices. One, say real reform is needed and push for it. Or two, say it was an isolated incident and back the police. What he did instead was not push for reform while at the same time making small catty remarks criticizing the police. So he made the police look weaker and didn't address anyone's concerns. He's a ****tard. I can't wait till he's gone. He's a career ****tard too, he's pretty much a career promiser of things without following through or 50% follow through.

Derka
01-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Meanwhile, the city of Fall River, MA...population 88,000...rang in 2015 with a homicide early this morning.

Home sweet home.

Bigsmoke
01-01-2015, 07:10 PM
This is why racists like yourself will forever live in the ghetto waiting for a government handout. instead of sitting around being angry at white people get off your lazy ass and do something productive with your crappy life.

what did I say that was racist?

I just said New York is super expensive.

MightyWhitey
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM
what did I say that was racist?

I just said New York is super expensive.
Convenient how you deleted the word "White" in between "fat -----people". Guess you wised up so you can make a few more thousand useless posts on ish

KevinNYC
01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Dinkins probably had less crime reported because under him cops didn't want to go into black neighborhoods. It was horrible at that time. Niko, this is delusional. That is not how crime stats work Crime still gets reported even if cops are not there.

I don't care what the stats say, the actual turnaround was under Gilluiani and finished under Bloomberg because that's when the "black" neighborhoods went from places that you'd never go into places that were safe to live. Under Dinkins things went from shitty to less shitty.
The turnaround I'm describing is going from rising to falling. Like you actually have to have things stop getting worse before they got better. I'm not saying this turnaround was complete by 1994. I'm saying it was in progress by 1994. You literally have to change to direction before you get back where you were going to.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc0c55dCIAAkhpj.png:large Murder rates went up sharply in NYC through the 80's. This was under Koch. They peak in 1990 in Dinkins first year and then began to fall and fall sharply. Crime of all kinds fell for 36 months in a row the last three years under Dinkins. The Giuliani narrative that I'm talking about is his taking credit for starting something that was already in progress and convincing a whole bunch of reporters it was true. I remember the end of the Giuliani narrative which was once he left crime would zoom up again especially after Bloomberg picked a Dinkins guy to be comissioners. Instead crime has continued to fall for the 13 years Giuliani was out of officer. This supports the idea that mayors are not the main drivers of crime stats anyway. Demographics are a main driver. Last I heard Giuliani didn't have anything to do with the crime rate dropping in San Francisco or Seattle during the 1990's. The other main driver of this was something seemed to have changed in the crack trade changed.

jstern
01-01-2015, 10:50 PM
This. Move the riffraff out of town and watch the murder rate plunge. Kevin would prefer to attribute it to Obama though.

I don't know who you are, but Obama must live rend free in your mind. Because with a story like this, the last person that came to mind is Obama, and no one else has mentioned him. But you got extremely defensive over the idea of Obama receiving credit.

Moving on. I live in NYC, and this is a trend that I been following for over a decade (and not just for NYC). It's definitely not the rent, and I've seen hundreds of black people alone today.

So it's funny to see people come up with their theories and accept them as facts.

The city is filled with minorities. The Bronx has had the least amount of killings in two consecutive years since 1963, and today in the Bronx I did not see one white person. There's virtually none there.

So it's interesting to see people come up with their own theories, accept them as facts, all based on who they view different groups of people.

Whatever the reason is, it's probably too deep, with hundreds of subtle reasons, that random people who comment on the internet will never know.

Horde of Temujin
01-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Its a nationwide trend, actually a rich world one. Not just in New York.
The city is safe but gentrification still sucks.

KevinNYC
01-01-2015, 11:40 PM

It is a worldwide trend (http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21582041-rich-world-seeing-less-and-less-crime-even-face-high-unemployment-and-economic)

If you want to look at this in terms of President's as mentioned upthread, it dates back to the George. H. W. Bush Administration.

sundizz
01-02-2015, 12:25 PM

Gentrification is not the issue...it's just a word tossed around by people to vilify positive change. Education is the difference.

For the most part, people in the world today have some degree of socialization and are somewhat educated. Not necessarily talking about in comparison to each other, but in comparison to people from the past.

In some ways it is sad to see the end of the primitive man - there is no danger or edge to society. Violence etc will continue to go down, as the world gets further and further interconnected.

There are some slave camps in South Korea in some islands. They've been going on for decades and the government, people, etc etc all know about it and tolerate it (lots of disabled/mentally slow people there). However, now with the internet etc/world spotlight shining on them there will be more change in 5 years for that region/those people than had happened in the previous 40.