PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler this season or last season's Paul George?

Smook A.
01-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Jimmy Butler this season: 21.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG on 60% TS
Paul George last season: 21.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.9 SPG, 0.3 BPG on 56% TS

The stats are almost identical, and both guys are elite perimeter defenders. I know the regular season is far from over, so Butler's stats aren't complete, but if you had a choice between this season's Butler or last season's PG, who would you take?

SugarHill
01-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Paul George

Ramza
01-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Neither.

navy
01-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Jimmy Butler plays 40 minutes a game compared to Paul George's 36.

Pretty even so far. But Paul George was absolute garbage in the second half of the season so we'll see.

Roundball_Rock
01-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Butler. He has a more diverse and refined game, is far superior in terms of efficiency and his raw numbers are deflated by the team he is on. George scored 22 ppg as the clear #1 option. Butler is on a team where Rose and Gasol score nearly as much as him. Regarding rebounding, Gasol, Noah and Gibson are great on the glass so that also deflates his rebounding figures a bit. As players, Butler is better now than George ever was and if you switched their team roles Butler's numbers would be clearly superior to George's.

dontgetchoked
01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
jimmy. better shot selection, post game, is stronger and more physical. and is also less turnover prone. 1.5 turnovers vs 2.8
Of course im biased, though.

Paul george is a better shooter, has more length, may be a better ball handler, not quite sure about that one though.

but yeah ill take jimmy.

Uncle Drew
01-02-2015, 12:17 AM
I'd go with George of the first half of last's season, and tbh, it's not close. That game he had in Portland... I've never seen Jimmy Buckets do such a thing.

George scored 22 ppg as the clear #1 option. Butler is on a team where Rose and Gasol score nearly as much as him.
Which means George draws more double teams. Butler wouldn't get 20 on 50% on the Pacers.

As players, Butler is better now than George ever was and if you switched their team roles Butler's numbers would be clearly superior to George's.

:wtf:

dontgetchoked
01-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Jimmy Butler plays 40 minutes a game compared to Paul George's 36.

Pretty even so far. But Paul George was absolute garbage in the second half of the season so we'll see.

so what if jimmy plays 4 more minutes? he takes fewer shots too, paul george 17 shots per game, jimmy 14.6 shots per game. You dont think jimmy can take 15 shots in 36 mins? if anything, the fact that he can go 40 minutes a night while guarding the best player on the other team every night and never getting tired should be an advantage, not a knock against him.

navy
01-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Butler. He has a more diverse and refined game, is far superior in terms of efficiency and his raw numbers are deflated by the team he is on. George scored 22 ppg as the clear #1 option. Butler is on a team where Rose and Gasol score nearly as much as him. Regarding rebounding, Gasol, Noah and Gibson are great on the glass so that also deflates his rebounding figures a bit. As players, Butler is better now than George ever was and if you switched their team roles Butler's numbers would be clearly superior to George's.
You think he would have the same efficiency as the number 1 option on a bad offensive team?

chocolatethunder
01-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Butler by a mile.

navy
01-02-2015, 12:20 AM
so what if jimmy plays 4 more minutes? he takes fewer shots too, paul george 17 shots per game, jimmy 14.6 shots per game. You dont think jimmy can take 15 shots in 36 mins? if anything, the fact that he can go 40 minutes a night while guarding the best player on the other team every night and never getting tired should be an advantage, not a knock against him.
Well he's only played a third of the season so we'll see.

Paul Geroge had legit MVP numbers the first third of the season as well. I think the team was 25-5 or something like that. As the clear best player on the team.

KD35Brah
01-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Regular season Butler > George

In the 2014 Playoffs Paul George was ****ing good. We have to wait and see what Butler does first.

Roundball_Rock
01-02-2015, 12:28 AM
You think he would have the same efficiency as the number 1 option on a bad offensive team?

No but instead of 22/6/3 on 49% on the Bulls he would be something like 25/7/4 on 46% on the Pacers. Butler's efficiency would take a hit but his other numbers would rise. Butler's game at this point is much more diverse than George's. It is hard to see this version of Butler shoot 42% for an entire season--and George's efficiency was horrendous in the second half of last season. George shot only 39.6% after the ASG. George essentially was hot for the first 30 or so games of last season but once his shot deserted him he never recovered. Butler can score even if his stroke is off, i.e. via his good post up game.

SamuraiSWISH
01-02-2015, 02:18 AM
1) PG
2) Butler
3) Leonard

MellowYellow
01-02-2015, 02:20 AM
butler, not close at all. PG had way too many bad games and if you take out his awesome november his efficiency was terrible.

nba_55
01-02-2015, 02:20 AM
I'd go with George of the first half of last's season, and tbh, it's not close. That game he had in Portland... I've never seen Jimmy Buckets do such a thing.

Which means George draws more double teams. Butler wouldn't get 20 on 50% on the Pacers.

:wtf:

Where did you come up with this crap? I never saw Paul George get doubled.

PsychoBe
01-02-2015, 02:37 AM
butler gets to play with a pg that is actually useful offensively :facepalm

pg was the number 1 scoring threat for his team night in and night out and far and away the best offensive player they had next to west. stepheson was too streaky, as was hibbert. and hill? :oldlol:

MellowYellow
01-02-2015, 03:07 AM
butler gets to play with a pg that is actually useful offensively :facepalm

pg was the number 1 scoring threat for his team night in and night out and far and away the best offensive player they had next to west. stepheson was too streaky, as was hibbert. and hill? :oldlol:
You just like PG13 cuz he shot 2-14 like your hero Kobe did

Dro
01-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Where did you come up with this crap? I never saw Paul George get doubled.
I'm not even going to get in this conversation because I think its retarded to compare players who have different roles but I had to :rolleyes: at this comment......

Anyway, carry on......

PsychoBe
01-02-2015, 03:28 AM
You just like PG13 cuz he shot 2-14 like your hero Kobe did

pg has as many rings as melo does

MellowYellow
01-02-2015, 04:37 AM
pg has as many rings as melo does
Melo woulda easily won the title last year with the pacers.

JohnFreeman
01-02-2015, 04:48 AM
PG has proven play in the playoffs

Jasper
01-07-2015, 03:00 AM
its amazing in team concept ball , how some players appear they could only compete at a college level , and yet still be a pro.
Perfect example a player plays a role on one team moves to another , and transposes' in a freak athlete.

Most if not all NBA players can ball by throwing it into the hoop.
Jimmy Butler was a basic role player watching Rose geek freak the Chicago audience including national fans...
But the coach finally asked Butler to expand his game on game day = whoof a morf'ed scorer....
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

How many people are going to go after him when free agency rolls for him :confusedshrug:

perfect example was Bosh ,, granted he showed game in Toronto , morf'es in a role player w/Bron / morfed' back into an elite scorer.

SamuraiSWISH
01-07-2015, 03:07 AM
Butler makes less stupid mistakes, and he seems to get his more in the flow of the offense.

Dengness9
01-07-2015, 03:34 AM
This leap Butler is taking is surprising me more and more each game.

Keep it up JimGod.

CeltsGarlic
01-07-2015, 03:44 AM
Really hated how you used TS instead of FG, 3pt and FT you coksucka

showtime2008
01-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Semi-off topic: the other day I was thinking about the versatility of PG,Butler, and Leonard.

It would be very entertaining to watch a team consisting of:

Wall
PG
Butler
Leonard
Unibrow

The defense will be insane and the offense will be good if not great. All five are superb defenders and unselfish offensive players. If pop is coaching, they'll beat any staring 5!

Pushxx
01-07-2015, 04:49 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk_Cwi1CEAEpaBp.jpg:medium

Not this guy. The other guy (so far).

Fudge
01-07-2015, 05:12 AM
Paul George

SillyRabbit
01-07-2015, 05:18 AM
PG easily.

He was the #1 option and teams focused their defenses purely around him.

He was also better defensively.

Rose'sACL
01-07-2015, 05:24 AM
i am a spurs fan and people keep praising leonard for his defense on lebron in the finals when butler is the only perimeter defender who has stopped lebron on a lot of occasions.

97 bulls
01-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Theres not that much of a difference. Id take Butler mainly due to bias. I believe Bulter is more efficient.

StephHamann
01-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Jimmy Butler this season: 21.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.2 APG, 1.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG on 60% TS
Paul George last season: 21.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.9 SPG, 0.3 BPG on 56% TS

The stats are almost identical, and both guys are elite perimeter defenders. I know the regular season is far from over, so Butler's stats aren't complete, but if you had a choice between this season's Butler or last season's PG, who would you take?

PG had to take more burden, the Bulls have the best bench in the league and their starting 5 is TOP 3 in the league.

The Pacers last year were nowhere as deep as them, so the defense could focuse more on PG.

sundizz
01-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Paul George was a better superstar, but Jimmy Butler is a better player for a championship team. He does everything within the flow of the game much much much much better.

Butler is having an all time great season in terms of usage to production.

His usage is 22% and his ppg are 21.9. In comparison, Paul George's usage was 28.3 that season (10th highest in the league) and he scored 21.7 ppg

Dro
01-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Paul George was a better superstar, but Jimmy Butler is a better player for a championship team. He does everything within the flow of the game much much much much better.

Butler is having an all time great season in terms of usage to production.

His usage is 22% and his ppg are 21.9. In comparison, Paul George's usage was 28.3 that season (10th highest in the league) and he scored 21.7 ppg
Come on with the exaggerations...Neither player does anything much, much, much, much, better than the other.......And the numbers you posted are another result of PG being the primary option and #1 focus of the opposing defense.....Just because PG has the ball more doesn't mean he's automatically going to average more points than Butler because he was drawing more defensive attention than Butler...

And most of PG's points are scored in the flow of the offense also...Its one my biggest knocks on him......He waits until the 2nd half to get more aggressive.....

Bosnian Sajo
01-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Jimmy's been a monster, bruh.

grantz
01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Butler looks more disciplined off the court unlike PG getting strippers pregnant and ruining himself the second half of the season.

Haymaker
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Butler looks more disciplined off the court unlike PG getting strippers pregnant and ruining himself the second half of the season.

True. Butler's feet are well grounded. He's Spurs material. Do it Buford. :applause:

dontgetchoked
01-07-2015, 01:00 PM
i am a spurs fan and people keep praising leonard for his defense on lebron in the finals when butler is the only perimeter defender who has stopped lebron on a lot of occasions.

This is true. Butler held lebron to 24 points on 44% when we played them in the playoffs in 2013 the series before that he averaged 25 on 63% and against the pacers he averaged 29 on 51%.

hitmanyr2k
01-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Like I said before, I believe Butler's game is more sustainable due to his blossoming offensive skillset. He has the three point range but doesn't rely on it. He mixes up his game from long range, midrange, and slashes to the rim to draw fouls and having the post game doesn't hurt either. He's just a well-rounded player.

You could predict Paul George falling off last year because all the guy did was shoot long jumpers which was all well and good when they were falling but when the threes and longs twos stopped falling what did PG have to fall back on? His slashing game is mediocre, midrange game is almost non-existent and he has no post game. All he could do was chuck.

Real14
01-07-2015, 04:00 PM
14 Leonard.