PDA

View Full Version : Rank Pippen's athleticism?

sundizz
01-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Everytime I watch highlights of Scottie and full games etc (e.g., 1994 All Star Game) it amazes me how athletic, fast, long, agile he is. Not to mention his ability to dunk on anybody and everybody. Saw him do a behind the back running full speed into a sledgehammer one hand finish. He is arguably a top 10 athlete of all time in the NBA in my opinion...up there with Doctor J when you take into account all levels of athleticism (speed, body control, vertical, agility, etc).

hateraid
01-03-2015, 12:15 PM
I put him more on the Clyde Drexler-Kobe Bryant like level. Which is no disrespect. Dr.J was on some alien type shit that was incomparable in his days
Guys who were another level:
Doc
Vince
Jordan
Kemp
Nique
Lebron

raiderfan19
01-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Pip was as athletic as anyone

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 01:00 PM
High.

If he's not first tier, he's easily second tier.

Let's see, during his playing days players comparable were:

First tier
Teammate Jordan
Drexler
Wilkins
Kemp
David Robinson

Second tier
Penny
Hill
Sprewell
Larry Johnson

I think he goes into that first tier.

97 bulls
01-03-2015, 01:38 PM
First tier. Ultra athletic.

sportjames23
01-03-2015, 01:42 PM
As far as athleticism goes, the only thing Pip didn't do as well as guys like MJ was acrobatic, contortionistic moves. Other than that, Pip ranked up there with all the greatest athletes in NBA history--MJ, Doc, Nique, Vince, Glide, etc.

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Pip was as athletic as anyone
This is the answer right here. There have also been plenty of freakish athletes who weren't even good players.

And Barkley was retarded athletic. No one before or since was doing the things he was doing at his size. But there were lots of freaks.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
This is the answer right here. There have also been plenty of freakish athletes who weren't even good players.

And Barkley was retarded athletic. No one before or since was doing the things he was doing at his size. But there were lots of freaks.
Chuck was not athletic (in basketball terms), he just knew how to use his body.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 06:03 PM
this is in running for dumb post of the year
The poster said he was retarded athletic, and I'm saying he was not.

Guys like Jordan, Vince Carter were super crazy athletic, not Barkley. What next, Paul Pierce is one of the most athletic players ever.

:biggums:

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 06:38 PM
What's not athletic about being under 6'5" and banging on dudes off the vert?:biggums:

Have you seen him play in philly? He was insanely athletic. He was running the break and crushing it on dudes.

He had his vert measured at 37.5 when he was around 300lbs. Nah that's not any good. Just like Paul pierce.

JohnMax
01-03-2015, 06:49 PM
3ball posted this video yesterday of Pippen and Jordan using their athleticism in defense and transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 06:49 PM
The poster said he was retarded athletic, and I'm saying he was not.

Guys like Jordan, Vince Carter were super crazy athletic, not Barkley. What next, Paul Pierce is one of the most athletic players ever.

Not barkley? Oh cool but you probably weren't alive when he was first in the league. You should watch this video:biggums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJuINS6WZyA

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 06:57 PM

Chuck was simply a great athlete... 6'5 dude banging with and overpowering players with 3/4/5 inches on him; turn around and he's looking like a freight train on the break with his massive body, great body control and handles, plus something like a SF/SG speed; you had this 260+ lbs beast with a 37'' vertical leap...

Go watch him in his 1st couple of years with the Suns but most importantly, watch him in his earlier years with Philly... Impressive athleticism... Shit, he's easily one of the most athletic PF's ever.

SamuraiSWISH
01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
He could really jump, that's what allowed him to even be a 6'5 PF. And when that ability went away due to various nagging injuries with age, he even admitted he became a shell of the player he used to be.

OldSchoolBBall
01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Guys who were unquestionably better athletes:

Dr. J
Jordan
Nique
Carter
McGrady
Kobe
Lebron

I'd put Pippen right around Drexler I guess. Drex has the edge in some areas, but Pip does in others. Pippen never had the quickness or explosiveness to be a tier 1 athlete or scorer. Drexler was a bit more explosive, and thus did okay as a first option scorer. Pip's edge on Drexler is imo in terms of body control.

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 07:02 PM
As far as Pippen, there's not many SF's (all-time) I would put above him in terms of overall athleticism... Dude was an athletic freak and one of the most athletic players ever, simple as that.

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Chuck was simply a great athlete... 6'5 dude banging with and overpowering players with 3/4/5 inches on him; turn around and he's looking like a freight train on the break with his massive body, great body control and handles, plus something like a SF/SG speed; you had this 260+ lbs beast with a 37'' vertical leap...

Go watch him in his 1st couple of years with the Suns but most importantly, watch him in his earlier years with Philly... Impressive athleticism... Shit, he's easily one of the most athletic PF's ever.

Exactly. Dude is retarded. BTW totally feeling Sidney Moncrief. Well done.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 07:15 PM
What's not athletic about being under 6'5" and banging on dudes off the vert?:biggums:

Have you seen him play in philly? He was insanely athletic. He was running the break and crushing it on dudes.

He had his vert measured at 37.5 when he was around 300lbs. Nah that's not any good. Just like Paul pierce.
I've seen him. He was a very smart player who knew how to maneuver his body and what not. He used his ass better than Kim Kardashian/Nicki Minaj.

He's probably less athletic than a Larry Johnson. And LJ is not first tier athletic.

What I'm saying is he was not on that level as Doc J, Nique, Pippen, Drexler, ect.

Just like Pierce wasn't on the level of T Mac, VC, LeBron and guys from his era.

Let's not get ahead of our selves and say this guy was a fat Dr. J. :lol

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Exactly. Dude is retarded. BTW totally feeling Sidney Moncrief. Well done.

:rockon: Easily one of the most underrated players ever, shameful that he's not in HoF by now.

Arguably the best guard/perimeter on-ball defender of all-time; something like a poor man's prime D-Wade on offense (regarding "style" of play too); great rebounding guard; great intangibles, played hard every night...
Injuries took him out in his prime while he was still relatively young, and he didn't have great longevity because of it, but still managed to have a pretty good career.

K Xerxes
01-03-2015, 07:29 PM
:rockon: Easily one of the most underrated players ever, shameful that he's not in HoF by now.

Arguably the best guard/perimeter on-ball defender of all-time; something like a poor man's prime D-Wade on offense (regarding "style" of play too); great rebounding guard; great intangibles, played hard every night...
Injuries took him out in his prime while he was still relatively young, and he didn't have great longevity because of it, but still managed to have a pretty good career.

Wow for some reason I always assumed he was in the HOF. Just shows how little we value defense that possibly the best perimeter defender of all time hasn't made it?

Didn't watch the 85 playoffs, but I've heard that he's possibly the only player to 'outplay' Jordan in a matchup in the playoffs. Obviously this is rookie Jordan, but no mean feat. 27-5-5 on 55% in that series. :eek:

turret
01-03-2015, 07:46 PM

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/sidney-moncrief-deserves-hall-of-fame-induction-every-bit-as-much-as-bernard-king/
Sidney was amazing to watch in the 80s
He was the bucks & made then relevant.
glad to hear to him doing bucks away games.

Ron Jeremy
01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
This is interesting, but I think we need to narrow down the criteria we are using to determine athleticism. A lot of you are putting down some well known stars but if it were were (strength+ jumping ability+ speed+ size) ratio, then some of these pale in comparison.

D.rob, Shaq, wilt, mcgee, stoudemire (prime), Joey graham lol. just as a start.

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Pippen's almost as good as it gets. You have to go to the T-Mac's, Dr J's and LeBron's to really find guys you can make a good argument for being better athletes at the 3.

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I've seen him. He was a very smart player who knew how to maneuver his body and what not. He used his ass better than Kim Kardashian/Nicki Minaj.

He's probably less athletic than a Larry Johnson. And LJ is not first tier athletic.

What I'm saying is he was not on that level as Doc J, Nique, Pippen, Drexler, ect.

Just like Pierce wasn't on the level of T Mac, VC, LeBron and guys from his era.

No. He was totally on their level. Saying he's less athletic than LJ is just stupid. You didn't see him play obviously because if you had you wouldn't say that. Dunking on Kareem off the vert has everything to do with his athleticism. He's abdolutely on the level of the most athletic players. At almost 300lbs a 37.5" vert isn't good? You've got to be kidding me. He dunked on everyone. Facing up. Can't do that by throwing your ass around. You're confused.

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 08:05 PM

Loved him. And he's is orobsbly the best on the ball defender ever. He was incredible. Always loved that guy.

Shih508
01-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Dr. J
Jordan
Nique
Carter
McGrady
Kobe
Lebron

I'd put Pippen right around Drexler I guess. Drex has the edge in some areas, but Pip does in others. Pippen never had the quickness or explosiveness to be a tier 1 athlete or scorer. Drexler was a bit more explosive, and thus did okay as a first option scorer. Pip's edge on Drexler is imo in terms of body control.

No way Kobe belongs there lol

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:08 PM

First of all, your like well under 30. So no, you haven't "seen him".

Second, what do you call this dunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu3vkwP3GHQ&t=1m50s

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWy9liwC7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJvbrB8RDw

chocolatethunder
01-03-2015, 08:09 PM
First of all, your like well under 30. So no, you haven't "seen him".

Second, what do you call this dunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu3vkwP3GHQ&t=1m50s
What is this dude smokin?

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 08:10 PM
No. He was totally on their level. Saying he's less athletic than LJ is just stupid. You didn't see him play obviously because if you had you wouldn't say that. Dunking on Kareem off the vert has everything to do with his athleticism. He's abdolutely on the level of the most athletic players. At almost 300lbs a 37.5" vert isn't good? You've got to be kidding me. He dunked on everyone. Facing up. Can't do that by throwing your ass around. You're confused.
I watched him. He can't do half of the things a Jordan or a McGrady could do. And if he can, show me.

I'd love to see Chuck try the 360 bounce Mac did at the 2000 dunk contest or the Jordan kiss the rim dunk from 88 ...

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I watched him. He can't do half of the things a Jordan or a McGrady could do. And if he can, show me.

I'd love to see Chuck try the 360 bounce Mac did at the 2000 dunk contest or the Jordan kiss the rim dunk from 88 ...

Why da hell u comparing a near 300 pound PF to SG's and SF's?

VengefulAngel
01-03-2015, 08:12 PM

Haha, it's so obvious but it still made me laugh. :applause: :applause:

AirFederer
01-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Correct!

Pip & Chuck were first tier. Pip was as athletic as they come. Arm/hands like 10 feet span :lol Jumped almost like mike. Notice how effortless he stuffs on centers. He also has The Best Facial Ever - The Ewing Dunk :bowdown: Lebron who? ;)

LJ could jump but had none of Chucks speed and agility.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 08:13 PM
So who do I compare him to, Tractor Traylor or Stanley Roberts?

j3lademaster
01-03-2015, 08:14 PM
As far as athleticism goes, the only thing Pip didn't do as well as guys like MJ was acrobatic, contortionistic moves. Other than that, Pip ranked up there with all the greatest athletes in NBA history--MJ, Doc, Nique, Vince, Glide, etc.Dominique wasn't that type of finisher either, though.

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:17 PM
So who do I compare him to, Tractor Traylor or Stanley Roberts?

You compare to him to PF's...

He's not as athletic as guys like McDyess, Kemp, Blake but against most PF's he's a top tier.

He's not those guys but he's not zach randolph either.

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Correct!

Pip & Chuck were first tier. Pip was as athletic as they come. Arm/hands like 10 feet span :lol Jumped almost like mike. Notice how effortless he stuffs on centers. He also has The Best Facial Ever - The Ewing Dunk :bowdown: Lebron who? ;)

LJ could jump but had none of Chucks speed and agility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWy9liwC7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJvbrB8RDw

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
You compare to him to PF's...

He's not as athletic as guys like McDyess, Kemp, Blake but against most PF's he's a top tier.

He's not those guys but he's not zach randolph either.
That was my whole point.

He's not as athletic as the top tier guys.

Which ever way you wanna compare him, PF his weight or swings his height, he's below the top tier guys. Chocolate thunder said Chuck was on those guys level and he is not.

Fire Colangelo
01-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Barkely was not even close to 300lbs when he was still considered "athletic".

Dude was athletic, but no where near the top tier.

SamuraiSWISH
01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
A level just below the cream of the crop: LeBron, MJ, Nique, Julius, VC, T-Mac, Kobe, and Drexler

eliteballer
01-03-2015, 08:38 PM
That was my whole point.

He's not as athletic as the top tier guys.

Which ever way you wanna compare him, PF his weight or swings his height, he's below the top tier guys. Chocolate thunder said Chuck was on those guys level and he is not.

You know what, he doesn't have the sheer hops those guys do but he's athletic in other ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-OPtjKRak&t=1m23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-OPtjKRak&t=2m28s

Past his athletic prime, how many PF's have the coordination and speed to run the floor like those plays?

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Wow for some reason I always assumed he was in the HOF. Just shows how little we value defense that possibly the best perimeter defender of all time hasn't made it?

Didn't watch the 85 playoffs, but I've heard that he's possibly the only player to 'outplay' Jordan in a matchup in the playoffs. Obviously this is rookie Jordan, but no mean feat. 27-5-5 on 55% in that series. :eek:

True.
5 prime seasons putting up like (a combined) 21/6/5/1.5/0.3 on 50/84 with less than 2.7 TO's, had some great post-season runs, 2x DPOY as a guard, 5x all-star, made 5 all-NBA teams (once 1st) and was at some point the best SG in the game, 4x all-defensive 1st, once 4th in MVP voting, his teams had some great records and went deep into the Playoffs plenty of times in arguably the GOAT conference, didn't have great longevity due to injuries but still... and he's not in the HoF, then you look at some players already in :facepalm

Yes, he's the only SG you can argue to have outplayed MJ h2h in a Playoff series: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312018
Just love that matchup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFV59cFZi-U
Jordan always had high praise for him.

Look at what he was doing in his prime against the top SG's, in that post above also...
That dude wasn't out there gambling for steals or something, he would straight lock you down, then turn around and play very good efficient offense while grabbing boards and always playing tough.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/sidney-moncrief-deserves-hall-of-fame-induction-every-bit-as-much-as-bernard-king/
Sidney was amazing to watch in the 80s
He was the bucks & made then relevant.
glad to hear to him doing bucks away games.

:applause: Great read
Agree.

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 08:44 PM

I'd love to see T-Mac or Jordan overpowering dudes like Parish, Larry Nance, Kemp, Chambers, Kevin Willis... :rolleyes:

Some people just underrating the hell out of Barkley's athleticism in this thread...

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 08:44 PM
You know what, he doesn't have the sheer hops those guys do but he's athletic in other ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-OPtjKRak&t=1m23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-OPtjKRak&t=2m28s

Past his athletic prime, how many PF's have the coordination and speed to run the floor like those plays?
I wouldn't call MVP season Chuck past his athletic prime. He's not 1988 Chuck but he's not 1998 Chuck.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 08:46 PM
I'd love to see T-Mac or Jordan overpowering dudes like Parish, Larry Nance, Kemp, Chambers, Kevin Willis... :rolleyes:

Some people just underrating the hell out of Barkley's athleticism in this thread...
Is power the same as athleticism though?

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Is power the same as athleticism though?

Strength is not a "part" of athleticism? :biggums:

Anyways, you can say/think 'well he's bigger so bound to have more strength/power', and my response was something like, well T-Mac/Jordan are smaller so bound to do more of those dunks you talk about and whatnot... (height is similar)

L.Kizzle
01-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Anyways, you can say/think 'well he's bigger so bound to have more strength/power', and my response was something like, well T-Mac/Jordan are smaller so bound to do more of those dunks you talk about and whatnot... (height is similar)
I was speaking more of the athleticism described in the OP. More of jumping high, agility, ect as opposed to power and strength.

He doesn't fit that criteria as Mac and MJ don't fit the power criteria.

j3lademaster
01-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Anyways, you can say/think 'well he's bigger so bound to have more strength/power', and my response was something like, well T-Mac/Jordan are smaller so bound to do more of those dunks you talk about and whatnot... (height is similar)I'm going to have to agree with this. Athleticism should be the entire physical package: speed, quickness, explosiveness, hops, strength, power, endurance, stamina, body control etc.

Jordan is easily one of the strongest guards to play the game, but you're right he's not overpowering Oaklies and Kemps on a regular basis. Maybe once in a while when he catches them napping he can sneak into position and knock them back with some leverage, but definitely not a regular basis like Chuck.

AintNoSunshine
01-03-2015, 09:21 PM
People who say Barkley isn't top notched athletically are down right stupid

Marchesk
01-03-2015, 10:19 PM
If we're going to count strength, then doesn't a young Shaq have an argument, pound for pound? And of course there is Wilt.

But if we're talking more in terms of running, jumping and quickness, then this dude hasn't been mentioned:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/KIA_clearance/NBA_Corbis/spuddwebb_2.jpg

OldSchoolBBall
01-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Kobe was DEFINITELY more athletic than Pippen. Is this a joke? :oldlol: Similar end to end speed, much better acceleration/agility, better and more versatile leaper, FAR better body control and coordination.

navy
01-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Pippen was very athletic. Near the top, obviously not at the top though.

Pointguard
01-03-2015, 11:17 PM
My first tier - the super freak tier. Accidentally do craziness.
Jordan
Wilt
Nique
Lebron
David Robinson
Rose/Westbrook
V. Carter

The Super athletes
Pippen
Kobe
Kemp
McGrady
Drexler
Barkley
Larry Johnson
Shaq

SugarHill
01-03-2015, 11:53 PM

Dr. J
Jordan
Nique
Carter
McGrady
Kobe
Lebron

Should add Wade. Easily a better athlete than Kobe.

DonDadda59
01-04-2015, 12:00 AM
My first tier - the super freak tier.

http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rick.gif

:dancin

chocolatethunder
01-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Should add Wade. Easily a better athlete than Kobe.
McDyess pre injury had a 42" vert. Larry Nance had a nasty vert. Darrell Griffith had an insane vert at 48".

SugarHill
01-04-2015, 12:20 AM
McDyess pre injury had a 42" vert. Larry Nance had a nasty vert. Darrell Griffith had an insane vert at 48".
That McDyess thing still blows my mind. I mean, yeah, he looked insanely athletic and threw down some of the most vicious dunks I've seen, but a 42 vert? His head should easily be over the rim every single time, no? Gerald Green had his head over the rim a few times.

KungFuJoe
01-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Barkley was a special kind of freak. I can't say he was MORE athletic than Jordan, Carter, etc...but he was unique. Never seen anyone like him.

6'4 and FAT...and he's banging on center like nothing. One of the best rebounders ever and he'd block guys at the rim.

Guys like Jordan and Carter were freaks, too...but there are guys like Gerald Green who have insane hops...but maybe without the grace of Jordan or power of Carter.

But Barkley...man...I never seen anyone like him. Closest I could think of was Clarence Weatherspoon....but even he ain't close.

NBASTATMAN
01-04-2015, 12:24 AM

I agree... Barkley had a ridiculous quick jump. Dude got up with the best of them and was stronger than most of the guys at his position as well.. He is top tier and Pippen may be a bit below top tier. Pip had the great length that made up for not having the ridiculous vertical.

chocolatethunder
01-04-2015, 12:27 AM
That McDyess thing still blows my mind. I mean, yeah, he looked insanely athletic and threw down some of the most vicious dunks I've seen, but a 42 vert? His head should easily be over the rim every single time, no? Gerald Green had his head over the rim a few times.
Did ya see him in college or before he got injured? He did some really nasty shit like really nasty. And just because you have a 42" vert doesn't mean you're gonna be jumping 42" every time you jump. Lavine's vert was measured at 46" but in a game he's not doing insane dunks. At least not yet. MCW has a 40 or 41" vert and you'd never know by the way he plays. Anyway, young McDyess had some really nasty bangs.

SugarHill
01-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Did ya see him in college or before he got injured? He did some really nasty shit like really nasty. And just because you have a 42" vert doesn't mean you're gonna be jumping 42" every time you jump. Lavine's vert was measured at 46" but in a game he's not doing insane dunks. At least not yet. MCW has a 40 or 41" vert and you'd never know by the way he plays. Anyway, young McDyess had some really nasty bangs.

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2015, 12:37 AM

It's never as "linear" as that...

True, and they also measure those things without the ball, without trying to put the ball through a hoop... I mean, Darrell Griffith had a reported 48'' vert and you didn't see him do crazy dunks/layups to the same extent as a Jordan or a Dr J because he didn't have hands as bigs as those guys, he was also shorter, didn't quite have the same "body control", couldn't handle the ball as well and wasn't even as agressive at attacking the rim... but Dr Dunkenstein was still pulling some crazy shit and, most importantly, you see him contesting some shots, grabbing some boards, when he really gets up there it was just :eek: Extremely few could get that high.

He is top tier and Pippen may be a bit below top tier. Pip had the great length that made up for not having the ridiculous vertical.

Scottie had a great vertical leap though.

chocolatethunder
01-04-2015, 12:37 AM

I dunno what you're biggums is about but he had the fifth highest vert at the combine with a 41" vert. He was 9th in the lane drill and 9th in the 3/4 court sprint.

SugarHill
01-04-2015, 12:41 AM
I dunno what you're biggums is about but he had the fifth highest vert at the combine with a 41" vert. He was 9th in the lane drill and 9th in the 3/4 court sprint.

It's just that it's quite shocking. I also read that guys like OJ Mayo and Harden tested higher verts than Westbrook. :lol

Pointguard
01-04-2015, 12:50 AM
http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rick.gif

:dancin
In this case, Wilt makes the list twice.

Marchesk
01-04-2015, 12:54 AM
It's just that it's quite shocking. I also read that guys like OJ Mayo and Harden tested higher verts than Westbrook. :lol

There's raw athleticism and then there's in game athleticism.

sundizz
01-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I don't really consider combine numbers athleticism. If that is the sort of athletic you are going for you should only refer to Olympics (e.g., a sprint, power lifting, etc).

True athleticism is based on your ability to control your body when going 100% (in my book).

This is the difference between Gerald Green and Scottie Pippen. Gerald Green has amazing numbers when it comes to raw athleticism but he lacks body control.

In my mind it is what makes Steve Nash as athletic (or more) than John Wall. John Wall might be able to move faster end to end, or have a quicker first step, or jump higher, but he does not have the same ability to control his body.

Steve Nash could go 100% of his max speed and dribble through defenders, move around them, and make passes, get to the rim, etc. John Wall probably can go 50% of his max speed (and stay under control) to do the same things.

Additionally, I think an underrated aspect of athleticism is being able to use one leg AND two legs for playing hoops. MOST MOST MOST players are significantly better one way or the other (e.g., Bron off one leg, Westbrook off two legs), but Pippen was one of the rare players who could do the full speed one foot takeaway and slam upside your head and also do the same with a two foot power step facial ala Scottie on Ewing the night the Garden died.

NBASTATMAN
01-04-2015, 02:24 AM
It's never as "linear" as that...

True, and they also measure those things without the ball, without trying to put the ball through a hoop... I mean, Darrell Griffith had a reported 48'' vert and you didn't see him do crazy dunks/layups to the same extent as a Jordan or a Dr J because he didn't have hands as bigs as those guys, he was also shorter, didn't quite have the same "body control", couldn't handle the ball as well and wasn't even as agressive at attacking the rim... but Dr Dunkenstein was still pulling some crazy shit and, most importantly, you see him contesting some shots, grabbing some boards, when he really gets up there it was just :eek: Extremely few could get that high.

Scottie had a great vertical leap though.

Great maybe but not close to Wilkins, Lebron, and other freaks. He wasn't nearly as fast as LeBron either. Like Lebron he wasn't a great two legged jumper and wasn't a player with great body control.. His LONG ARMS made up for anything he WASNT FREAKISH AT THOUGH

Pointguard
01-04-2015, 03:49 AM
If you have to ask if he is on the top level, he obviously isn't.

KungFuJoe
01-04-2015, 03:58 AM
If you have to ask if he is on the top level, he obviously isn't.

Ooh I like what you did there. It's like saying if you have to ask how expensive something is you can't afford it.

Very clever.

Pointguard
01-04-2015, 04:16 AM
Ooh I like what you did there. It's like saying if you have to ask how expensive something is you can't afford it.

Very clever.
:lol The only answer is to buy into what I'm saying.

hitmanyr2k
01-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Great maybe but not close to Wilkins, Lebron, and other freaks. He wasn't nearly as fast as LeBron either. Like Lebron he wasn't a great two legged jumper and wasn't a player with great body control.. His LONG ARMS made up for anything he WASNT FREAKISH AT THOUGH

None of that is true at all. Whether it was a one foot leap or two foot leap Pippen made it look effortless.

http://i.imgur.com/8DC0j5N.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Osg0PJm.gif

http://imgur.com/EOHqxG6.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7mRPPbt.gif

http://i.imgur.com/H9IUDQq.gif

sundizz
01-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Yeah definitely wrong. He has two foot facials on pretty much everyone from his era. Also, he is second fastest to only Lebron I'd say of any sf or bigger ever (with the ball + dunking)....and even that it's pretty damn close. Lebron is for sure faster without the ball straight sprinting but end to end while dribbling and finishing off one foot..it's pretty damn close.

Check out this full speed, behind the back, one foot dunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc&t=2m10s

Or find a better 2 handed finish than this....spin move to a 2 handed flush upside your head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc&t=8m19s

sportjames23
01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Dominique wasn't that type of finisher either, though.

Didn't mean to imply Nique was that kind of athlete. Just that Pip was in the same tier as guys like MJ, Nique and the rest as far as overall athleticism goes.

AirFederer
01-04-2015, 11:26 AM
None of that is true at all. Whether it was a one foot leap or two foot leap Pippen made it look effortless.

http://i.imgur.com/8DC0j5N.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Osg0PJm.gif

http://imgur.com/EOHqxG6.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7mRPPbt.gif

http://i.imgur.com/H9IUDQq.gif

Amazing! Seriously underrated.

Someone name a better at dunking on people today?!?
I say none!

97 bulls
01-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Amazing! Seriously underrated.

Someone name a better at dunking on people today?!?
I say none!
I feel hes the best ever at just flat out rising over annd dunking on guys.

Elosha
01-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Can't believe some here are claiming Pippen couldn't jump off two feet.

Here's another example of him dunking over Oliver Miller off two feet in the 93 Finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxXmYnLxTw

Criminally underrated dunk. I never get hear it get talked about, but it is really one of the nastiest Scottie ever had. Show me LBJ ever doing that to any big off two feet. Scottie was close to equal to Lebron off one foot, and significantly better than him off two.

Nevaeh
01-04-2015, 02:27 PM

One of my favorite dunks till this day is the one that Pip had on K. Malone during the 97 finals, game 5. The first quarter of the game, Pip was getting more and more irked that he simply wasnt drawing any foul calls in his favor. So with the Bulls trailing big and MJ on the bench, Pip finally says "ENOUGH" and gives Malone the business.

:oldlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYuWHHIn28

alexd
01-04-2015, 03:50 PM
6 pages and no one said nate robinson...really??

Teanett
01-04-2015, 05:00 PM

for me, he's second after vince.

AlphaWolf24
01-04-2015, 05:08 PM

look at his highlights.....everything MJ did IMO Pip did it better. ( as far as Dunking)

FT line dunk...Pippen actually was behind the line.....

Dunk on Ewing?...Pippens was far nastier....

Pippen wasn't as overall BBALL skilled as MJ( who is?)....but pure athleticism...he is up there with anyone ever!

Pippen could dominate the game....take over on offense and defense......very few players can do that.....he was a top shelf athlete.

NBASTATMAN
01-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah definitely wrong. He has two foot facials on pretty much everyone from his era. Also, he is second fastest to only Lebron I'd say of any sf or bigger ever (with the ball + dunking)....and even that it's pretty damn close. Lebron is for sure faster without the ball straight sprinting but end to end while dribbling and finishing off one foot..it's pretty damn close.

Check out this full speed, behind the back, one foot dunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc&t=2m10s

Or find a better 2 handed finish than this....spin move to a 2 handed flush upside your head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOsRrvpnGc&t=8m19s

Even Lebron can jump off two feet when he is in full motion.. When I speak about jumping off two legs I am talking about on jump shots and post ups over people.. Jumping off of two legs without getting a running start. Few people do that better than MJ AND KOBE.. Lebron and Pippen aren't even close.. I can find Lebron jumping off two legs as well for dunks.. Doesn't mean he is a great two legged jumper..

Barkley was also a great two legged jumper from a stand still position.

NBASTATMAN
01-04-2015, 05:22 PM
I'd say he's in the top 10. Like someone else said, Kobe in his prime is more athletic than Pippen. When it comes to first step, speed, body control (fine details that gets overlooked) Kobe is miles ahead. Kobe was also quicker and faster. Pippen has length and hands but that's about it.

THIS

These kids just don't understand what great athleticism is.. Kobe is much better of an athlete than Pippen ever was..

NBASTATMAN
01-04-2015, 05:25 PM
look at his highlights.....everything MJ did IMO Pip did it better. ( as far as Dunking)

FT line dunk...Pippen actually was behind the line.....

Dunk on Ewing?...Pippens was far nastier....

Pippen wasn't as overall BBALL skilled as MJ( who is?)....but pure athleticism...he is up there with anyone ever!

Pippen could dominate the game....take over on offense and defense......very few players can do that.....he was a top shelf athlete.

:facepalm
You have no clue dude.. Stop smoking that weed..

AlphaWolf24
01-04-2015, 06:44 PM
You have no clue dude.. Stop smoking that weed..

MJ at least 6" over the line

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4826880/Screen_Shot_2014-07-28_at_2.55.19_PM.png

Pippen clearly on or behind the line

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr320/BruceBlitz/IMG_1034_zpsebdd2600.jpg

MJ over Ewing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5btsDbkBonA
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5284f1b26da8117f27c8114d/michael-jordan-says-this-1991-dunk-on-patrick-ewing-is-his-best-dunk-ever.jpg

Pippen over Ewing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJPjeOR5IBI

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/bulls/pippen_ewing_940520.jpg

Pippen is on par athletically with anyone ever......he's so criminally underrated....

( extra credit : dat Ewing dunk was when MJ was out playing baseball...Pippen was still dominating)

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2015, 07:09 PM
MJ at least 6" over the line

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4826880/Screen_Shot_2014-07-28_at_2.55.19_PM.png

How about checking out the 1985 dunk contest... When Jordan dunked with the tip of his toe barely touching the FT line (even being shorter than Scottie):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD54eF2XKJA

slow-mo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o6nCv5qw&t=0m19s

http://i60.tinypic.com/21tnxt.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/df6bc5dcad9f6bb45f38ee98bef7b376/tumblr_n57zloJMeS1svefdfo1_400.gif

http://terezowens-com-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/2012/12/Jordan-Free-throw-gi.gif

Don't talk about shit you don't know next time...

Elosha
01-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Another incredible two foot dunk by Pippen over Barkley in game 6 of the 1993 finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_Pjg1zFjc&feature=player_detailpage#t=2657

Also for those who are quibbling over whether Jordan could dunk with his foot behind the free throw line: check out Jordan's free throw line dunk in 1991 (at age 28) at Magic's midsummer night's charity classic. Footage is a bit grainy, but it sure looks like his foot is completely behind the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=038j-yrL0J4&feature=player_detailpage#t=148

hitmanyr2k
01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Even Lebron can jump off two feet when he is in full motion.. When I speak about jumping off two legs I am talking about on jump shots and post ups over people.. Jumping off of two legs without getting a running start. Few people do that better than MJ AND KOBE.. Lebron and Pippen aren't even close.. I can find Lebron jumping off two legs as well for dunks.. Doesn't mean he is a great two legged jumper..

Barkley was also a great two legged jumper from a stand still position.

It doesn't matter what you meant. Pippen is great at jumping off two legs on dunks, post-ups, whatever. Doesn't matter if he has a running start or not. There's no SF doing this kind of shit in today's game. Keep moving that goalpost though.

http://i.imgur.com/DaFilXX.gif

http://i.imgur.com/XqkwTQR.gif

http://i.imgur.com/AKyOM7w.gif

http://i.imgur.com/A4Yq2Xz.gif

http://i.imgur.com/4h43BZx.gif

http://i.imgur.com/X90JOwi.gif

http://i.imgur.com/EDLS1iR.gif

AlphaWolf24
01-04-2015, 10:48 PM

How about checking out the 1985 dunk contest... When Jordan dunked with the tip of his toe barely touching the FT line (even being shorter than Scottie):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD54eF2XKJA

slow-mo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o6nCv5qw&t=0m19s

http://i60.tinypic.com/21tnxt.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/df6bc5dcad9f6bb45f38ee98bef7b376/tumblr_n57zloJMeS1svefdfo1_400.gif

http://terezowens-com-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/2012/12/Jordan-Free-throw-gi.gif

Don't talk about shit you don't know next time...

Pippen's was still further...

next

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Pippen's was still further...

next

Keep moving that goal post :lol :rolleyes: :facepalm

And no, actually Jordan was a bit further, clear to tell...

Indian guy
01-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Great, but second tier. His combination of speed, hops and overall explosiveness was tier 1, but he didn't possess coordination, agility and body control of the absolute elites.

Indian guy
01-05-2015, 02:17 AM
I'd say he's in the top 10. Like someone else said, Kobe in his prime is more athletic than Pippen. When it comes to first step, speed, body control (fine details that gets overlooked) Kobe is miles ahead. Kobe was also quicker and faster. Pippen has length and hands but that's about it.

When we say fast, are we talking end-to-end speed? Because Kobe's definitely not faster than Pippen on that front. But yeah, in terms of first step, quickness, coordination and body control, Kobe's only 2nd to MJ on that front.

AlphaWolf24
01-05-2015, 04:45 AM
Keep moving that goal post :lol :rolleyes: :facepalm

And no, actually Jordan was a bit further, clear to tell...

Pippens was further...and his Ewing Dunk was nastier.....no doubt about it!

stay Mad.

next

Angel Face
01-05-2015, 09:44 AM
top 10 and is better dunker than Lebron. Lebron dunks on midgets while Pippen dunks on legit rim protectors.

sundizz
01-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Best in game dunkers (quantity, facials, speed, agility, hops, 1 foot dunking ability, 2 foot dunking ability, mid air creativeness, and power):

1. Vince Carter
2. Julius Erving
3. Scottie Pippen
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Michael Jordan
6. Dominique Wilkins
7. Lebron James
8. Shaquille O'neal/Amare/Blake/Kemp/Clyde

My list for best basketball athletes is similar (post 1980 or so). Similar criteria as above (why Gerald Green and his inability to control his body + lack of agility + lack of touch takes him out of this).

1. Shaquille O'neal
2. Lebron James
3. Michael Jordan
4. Scottie Pippen
5. Charles Barkley
6. Julius Erving
7. Kobe Bryant
8. Amare/Blake/Kemp/DRob/Westbrook

Height Freak
01-05-2015, 11:17 AM
At 6-7 3/4, Scottie is a 6-9 guy in shoes with a 7-2/ 7-3 wingspan. He used these physical attributes very well for a guy his size.

Let's not forget he played the guard role with a forward's instinct, and often guarded the opponents quickest players (many of them point guards). That counts for athleticism too.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/910333ad53dcd25546f3d72fce34d208/tumblr_mu0qypRlnZ1sdydefo1_400.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibjpoDJg0GLmPx.gif

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/scottie-pippen-dunk.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/bac36fb4fed7c4813d400dae19c20f78/tumblr_mr8uaxJINT1sdydefo1_400.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/c4fc2ade0311897a92896acc2a3c2fc8/tumblr_mqvovlCUY11sdydefo1_400.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/4380fa0b99df36341394d405f502c7ef/tumblr_mr37skgMN01sdydefo1_400.gif

http://33.media.tumblr.com/9d6fd214008bdca35fc9fd7efa53e042/tumblr_mrdnrikcpi1sdydefo1_500.gif

http://oi40.tinypic.com/350sz81.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/0c6e46dc8752cb84e916a99d04ab444d/tumblr_mr4gm0jqQf1sdydefo1_400.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/2abe68a74ff9b643f2d40b27db357929/tumblr_mtsntjvnxQ1sdydefo1_400.gif