PDA

View Full Version : Is Marc Gasol worth max money?

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Would you want your team to throw 100 million at him?

I don't think you can win a championship if a third tier player like Marc Gasol is taking up over a third of your cap. He's not gonna lead you to a championship.

Plus he's a big man going into his 30's and he's battled weight issues before. All it takes is one foot injury and you're stuck with an overpaid fat guy who can pass and make a jumper.

ZeN
01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Its laughable to think not...

JohnFreeman
01-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Amare got max, and Gasol is a better player

qrich
His age and injury history is a concern, but considering what some other bigs are making, he absolutely is.

Smook A.
He's not worth it, but he'll probably get it.

Eric Cartman
01-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Roy Hibbert got the max.

ROY ****ING HIBBERT.

The guy that couldn't record a point or a rebound against the Hawks last playoffs.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Roy Hibbert got the max.

ROY ****ING HIBBERT.

The guy that couldn't record a point or a rebound against the Hawks last playoffs.
That's not the point.

gts
01-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Of course he is.. quality big men are hard to come by, guys Like Gasol who is arguably one of best bigs playing today are even rarer...

you throw everything you got to get him or keep him

gts
01-05-2015, 10:39 PM
That's not the point.it actually is very much part of the discussion... what other bigs get paid play a part in determining the market

christian1923
Tiago Splitter
Chris Anderson
Joel Anthony
Andrew Bynum
Perkins
Tyson chandler

These are the centers that have been playing in the finals.

Wing players and a PG are what you need.

Eric Cartman
That's not the point.

To answer your question, yes he deserves it.

DPOY, great facilitator and shooter for a big, has great chemistry with the current guys, and we saw how much they missed him last year.

imdaman99
As a Knicks fan, I do not want them to offer him the max. He's having a great year, but he will never have one like this again.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:40 PM
it actually is very much part of the discussion... what other bigs get play a part in determining the market
That doesn't prove that he's worth it though for a team with championship aspirations.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:43 PM
As a Knicks fan, I do not want them to offer him the max. He's having a great year, but he will never have one like this again.
That's what I'm scared of.

I did want him earlier this offseason but I just know this guy would he a huge bust if he came to NY for max money

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:45 PM
To answer your question, yes he deserves it.

DPOY, great facilitator and shooter for a big, has great chemistry with the current guys, and we saw how much they missed him last year.
So if I'm down 10 points with 3 minutes left in a game against Lebrons team, I can count on Marc Gasol to bring the team back? Cause that's what I need from my Max Players or else I'm losing.

Eric Cartman
01-05-2015, 10:49 PM
So if I'm down 10 points with 3 minutes left in a game against Lebrons team, I can count on Marc Gasol to bring the team back? Cause that's what I need from my Max Players or else I'm losing.

Of course, Memphis would've sweept the Heat last year had the met in the finals.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Of course, Memphis would've sweept the Heat last year had the met in the finals.
You must be a Memphis fan, nvm.

qrich
01-05-2015, 10:51 PM

Jamal Crawford may be able to score the points for you to comeback, he has done a lot of help with the Clippers in situations that are similar.

Nick Young was huge during the Clippers huge comeback @ Memphis two years ago.

Do they deserve a max because they were pivotal and bringing their teams back?

JimmyMcAdocious
01-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Well sure he doesn't deserve the max if you don't consider the market. There's like 2 true max contract players in the entire NBA.

But the market does play a major factor and he will and does deserve max money.

qrich
01-05-2015, 10:54 PM

I think Memphis lack of offense would have hurt them, but at the same time, who on Miami would guard the brutes up front for Memphis. Lower scoring the better for Memphis.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Jamal Crawford may be able to score the points for you to comeback, he has done a lot of help with the Clippers in situations that are similar.

Nick Young was huge during the Clippers huge comeback @ Memphis two years ago.

Do they deserve a max because they were pivotal and bringing their teams back?
Being able to lead a comeback is just one thing I need from a max player.

Good job, good effort trying to be a smart ass though

masonanddixon
01-05-2015, 10:56 PM

Yes, look at his stats with Z-Bo out. He's beasting.

sammichoffate
01-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Nope, but he'll get offers for it.

qrich
01-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Being able to lead a comeback is just one thing I need from a max player.

Good job, good effort trying to be a smart ass though

And the ability to stifle the opposition by clogging the paint with great man defense, good help defense, great rebounding positioning, to go with the ability to facilitate from the high post, hit the mid range jumper, or take your man to the bucket at a consistently high rate can't be a part of leading a comeback?

It isn't just offense, and Marc Gasol isn't just a defensive big like Chandler, Noah, Jordan, etc. as he plays on both sides of the court at a real high level.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Well sure he doesn't deserve the max if you don't consider the market. There's like 2 true max contract players in the entire NBA.

But the market does play a major factor and he will and does deserve max money.
This is what I'm saying unless you're LBJ or KD. Or young like Westbrook or Anthony Davis then you're just not worth it.

How often has giving a 30 year old 7 footer a 100 million dollars panned out?

Eric Cartman
01-05-2015, 11:02 PM
This is what I'm saying unless you're LBJ or KD. Or young like Westbrook or Anthony Davis then you're just not worth it.

How often has giving a 30 year old 7 footer a 100 million dollars panned out?

Interesting point. I meam, lebron and kd are worth 120 million a year (at least) for all the revenue that they bring in.

So yeah, Gasol isn't worth what lebron or kd are, but under the current rules, he's worth a max contract, thing is lebron and kd deserve much much much more.

Height Freak
01-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Not sure if he's worth that much money, but as of now he's probably the best center in the league.

christian1923
01-05-2015, 11:04 PM
And the ability to stifle the opposition by clogging the paint with great man defense, good help defense, great rebounding positioning, to go with the ability to facilitate from the high post, hit the mid range jumper, or take your man to the bucket at a consistently high rate can't be a part of leading a comeback?

It isn't just offense, and Marc Gasol isn't just a defensive big like Chandler, Noah, Jordan, etc. as he plays on both sides of the court at a real high level.
Alright if he's as good as you say he is then he should lead this team to the finals. His team is stacked.

He's going up against Howard, Adams, old man Duncan, robin Lopez, Tyson chandler, etc

He should average atleast 25/15 against these guys.

If he's putting up 18/10 and they lose in the 2nd round then he's absolutly not worth max money.

AussieG
01-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Pau or Marc aren't the kind of players that can average 25/15.

I really don't think he's leaving though, there's been no indication at any point that he could leave. He's happy where he is.

And also.. reading this thread felt a bit like an alternate reality. It always seems to happen when people try to talk about another team or their players, when they don't watch them.

I've seen probably 90% of all Gasol's games in his career plus many post game locker interviews. So I feel like I know who Marc Gasol is. For example, becoming over weight isn't an issue. Injury is possible but that's true of any player.

For the Knicks, they got more problems than who their center is. Signing any one player unless it was LeBron or Durant probably wouldn't help. They need a good young core of guys that can mature together and be on the brink of something and then add pieces later that compliment the core that's already solid.

qrich
01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Alright if he's as good as you say he is then he should lead this team to the finals. His team is stacked.

He's going up against Howard, Adams, old man Duncan, robin Lopez, Tyson chandler, etc

He should average atleast 25/15 against these guys.

If he's putting up 18/10 and they lose in the 2nd round then he's absolutly not worth max money.

Alright, if LeBron and Durant are as good as you say they are, then they should meet in the finals, considering both are on stacked teams and Bron is in a real weak conference.

They should put up 32/8/7 against those guys.

If they put up 26/7/6 and they lose in the 2nd round or conference finals, they are absolutely not worth max money.

hiphopfan777
01-05-2015, 11:44 PM
He is better than Cousins. At least Marc Gasol made playoffs every year

christian1923
01-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Alright, if LeBron and Durant are as good as you say they are, then they should meet in the finals, considering both are on stacked teams and Bron is in a real weak conference.

They should put up 32/8/7 against those guys.

If they put up 26/7/6 and they lose in the 2nd round or conference finals, they are absolutely not worth max money.
They've proven they can get to the finals before. I already know they can do it.

Smoke117
01-05-2015, 11:48 PM
3rd Tier...:biggums:

No though...I don't think he's worth the max. He's peaking right now...but I'm pretty positive that he can't do this for even 2 more years at this level. I think he's a fantastic player, but, he is basically peaking RIGHT BEFORE HIS DECLINE. He is just about to to turn 30 and there is no where else to go as a big man but down after that. I can't see him averaging more than 60-65 games over the next 4-5 years he'd be on a max contract. (if even that) I don't trust his health and he's too unselfish to demand the ball like a real max contract player should.

In the end...he's just peaking way too late to give him a max contract at this point in his career. He has all the skills of a max player...just not the consistent production you expect from one.

qrich
01-05-2015, 11:49 PM
They've proven they can get to the finals before. I already know they can do it.

Sure, Durant made it once with a roster stacked more than Marc has ever had, and LeBron has cruised through the East.

But should LeBron, with his stacked team, in the weak East, not go 12-0 in the Eastern portion of the playoffs, and Durant, with his stacked team, get out the West with one, maybe two six game series?

christian1923
01-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Sure, Durant made it once with a roster stacked more than Marc has ever had, and LeBron has cruised through the East.

But should LeBron, with his stacked team, in the weak East, not go 12-0 in the Eastern portion of the playoffs, and Durant, with his stacked team, get out the West with one, maybe two six game series?
Honestly Yeah those guys should make the finals with their teams

TaLvsCuaL
01-06-2015, 04:28 AM
After reading the three pages and all your answers I think you should have named the thread "worth max money any player outside Lebron, Durant or maybe Davis?"

If my limited English proficiency has not made me misunderstand you, I think your concern is more with the salary cap and the economic system that rules the NBA. Focusing on a player (Marc Gasol) leads to a misunderstanding of what you really want to ask.

I agree with you on some points. In my opinion most of the players who get the maximum end up having a negative impact on his team, because they are not good enough to lead his team with a mediocre roster and reduce the chance to make a more balanced/successful team.

But as others already said, in today's market Marc Gasol should get the max because there are many worse players than him getting paid.

It's the law of supply and demand.

bdreason
01-06-2015, 04:30 AM
He's arguably the most complete Center in the league. So, yes, he's definitely worth the max, and someone will definitely pay him the max.

Milbuck
01-06-2015, 05:10 AM
If we take market, the cap situation of the league going forward, the contracts other players are getting...it's close..he might be. His numbers aren't jaw dropping but the impact is up there with the best of them.

That being said..there's just something about Marc getting $20-25mil a year that feels weird to me. To me when a guy's getting that kind of money he needs to be capable of being a championship #1 option or an extremely strong #2....under various circumstances. Marc is doing it right now on the Grizzlies, but the Grizzlies to me are one of those examples of the exception to this rule, where you have an extremely well-built roster full of hardworking, smart, skilled guys who know how to play and play well together, with great coaching and a strong culture that's been built over years of playing together. Marc is a terrific player but there's no doubt he's in an awesome situation right now

And that type of situation is extremely difficult to cultivate, you don't just throw it together in free agency in one offseason. You look at the champions of past years...how many teams have had won with their best player being inferior to Marc? The Spurs last year, and the 04 Pistons are arguable..and both of these teams fall under this category...HOF coaching, brilliant roster construction with skill, toughness, IQ, leadership, chemistry, everything with years of experience and identity building. What they did is damn near impossible to do without a ton of luck and favorable circumstances..it's like the team building equivalent of the OKC draft model. You can strive for it but the odds of actually accomplishing it are slim to none.

Aside from that you have high HOF talents in or close to their primes like Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, KG, Wade, Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, Hakeem winning titles since the 90s. You throw Marc on some random team and give him some semblance of talent, is he leading them to the 4th best record in the league and a 60-win pace like the Grizzlies are right now? I really don't think so. I think in a vacuum he's a 2nd option on a championship team at his absolute best, and more likely a 3rd option...and it just sounds weird giving a 3rd option 20-25 mil a year.

And then if we are to accept that his ceiling under normal circumstances is a championship #2....we have the questions of...what if this constract year is his peak? How long can he sustain this? I mean the guy will turn 30 years old later this month, which is something I don't think people are taking into consideration in all of these FA discussions about him. I know Pau has been showing that he's still a hell of a player well into his mid 30s...but we have no idea whether this will be the case with Marc. And while Marc is the better defensive player, Pau was a clearly better offensive player imo, and we don't know how Marc's defensive superiority will translate as he ages.

It sucks to say because Marc is quickly becoming one of my favorite players but I really don't think the team that gives him a max contract is gonna do all that well in terms of winning championships. Memphis would be the exception to this if he stayed there, but with Zbo getting closer and closer to falling off, and the place not exactly the biggest FA draw..who knows.

SpanishACB
01-06-2015, 05:29 AM

No.

But if you have Marc Gasol chances are you're not down 10 with 3 minutes left.

Do you even understand the logic you're trying to use? Seems not.

Mind you, he'll still bring you back better than most players in the league

buddha
01-06-2015, 05:32 AM
in the age where every good player seems to get the max, why not.

Sharmer
01-06-2015, 05:41 AM
Prime Amare > Gasol. Lets be serious.

kenny817
01-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Definitely worth the max

You get a big like that...throw every dollar you can at him to keep him

rmt
01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
He's definitely worth it and of course, he'll get it (bigs get paid).

keep-itreal
01-06-2015, 11:06 AM
poor man's Pau Gasol

AirFederer
01-06-2015, 11:06 AM

This. Being clutch isn't only about hitting the GW.

Also, he's contributing big time on both ends. He's making bball plays for his team. Look at Spurs. Forget the "option #1 or #2", good teams don't have to be built like that...imho.

FKAri
01-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Who IS worth the max? Lebron? I'd give him 30k because he'd be able to move couches better than your typical Mexican. But not much more than that.

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Ish, where everyone should make half their market value.

Half of you don't understand ball and the other half don't understand NBA finances.

Not only is Marc going to get the Max but 10 teams will fight to pay him that.

The Pels just traded a lottery pick for an expiring Asik. Asik is worth 15M + a lotto pick because of his defensive contributions. Those contributions are less than Gasol's (the reigning DPOY) def contributions. But on the other end of the court Gasol is a knock down midrange player, the best passing big in the NBA, and the guy the team runs their offense through.

In the last two seasons Memphis is 10-13 without Marc and 65-28 with him. Thats the difference between the 3 seed and the 12 seed in the west.

But keep telling yourself that because he isn't a chucker he isn't worth money. Those of us who know better will laugh at you.

AirFederer
01-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Half of you don't understand ball and the other half don't understand NBA finances.

The Pels just traded a lottery pick for an expiring Asik. Asik is worth 15M + a lotto pick because of his defensive contributions. Those contributions are less than Gasol's (the reigning DPOY) def contributions. But on the other end of the court Gasol is a knock down midrange player, the best passing big in the NBA, and the guy the team runs their offense through.

In the last two seasons Memphis is 10-13 without Marc and 65-28 with him. Thats the difference between the 3 seed and the 12 seed in the west.

But keep telling yourself that because he isn't a chucker he isn't worth money. Those of us who know better will laugh at you.

:applause:

Spurs5Rings2014
01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
No.

But if you have Marc Gasol chances are you're not down 10 with 3 minutes left.

Do you even understand the logic you're trying to use? Seems not.

Mind you, he'll still bring you back better than most players in the league

You could of also went the other way with that: you'd be down 20 and getting blown out with no chance of some no defense playing chucker to bring you back. Logic nor successful trolling is the OP's strong suit, it would seem.

:facepalm

eriX
01-06-2015, 11:54 AM
he is because of supply and demand... simple as that...

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Third tier player?
You broke down my lurking mode with your stupidity.

houston
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM
no he ain't

lilteapot
01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Who IS worth the max? Lebron? I'd give him 30k because he'd be able to move couches better than your typical Mexican. But not much more than that.
This joke would be somewhat witty if it made any sense

christian1923
01-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Third tier player?
You broke down my lurking mode with your stupidity.
Is he on Durant or Lebrons level? No

Is he on Curry or Westrooks level? No

He's third tier

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Is he on Durant or Lebrons level? No

Is he on Curry or Westrooks level? No

He's third tier

How many tiers are there? 56, 127? Nobody uses the term third tier like you.
You're entitled to your logic, but your reasoning is on elementary school level.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
How many tiers are there? 56, 127? Nobody uses the term third tier like you.
You're entitled to your logic, but your reasoning is on elementary school level.
I'm elementary but all you're doing is throwing insults :lol

He's not a face of a franchise type player.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:07 PM

And I'll being saying a told you so when you have a 33 year old broken down 7 footer making 25 million a year.

I'm not wishing injury but thats just how it goes, 7 footers don't stay healthy forever. I wouldn't pay any center in the NBA that much money. Even Dwight Howard can't stay healthy

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm elementary but all you're doing is throwing insults :lol

He's not a face of a franchise type player.
My only insult was in my first post. Your logic being on elementary school level is a fact.
As the poster above me stated you have no understanding of NBA economics and basketball as a game.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
My only insult was in my first post. Your logic being on elementary school level is a fact.
As the poster above me stated you have no understanding of NBA economics and basketball as a game.
I know how the Economics work, and they're flawed.

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 01:34 PM
I know how the Economics work, and they're flawed.
Now this is completely different argument and you haven't even touched it in your OP. Do you have an agenda perhaps?
No human being is worth even close to the money Lebron is making, unless his hands cure cancer. So disband the NBA?

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Now this is completely different argument and you haven't even touched it in your OP. Do you have an agenda perhaps?
No human being is worth even close to the money Lebron is making, unless his hands cure cancer. So disband the NBA?
No make the salary cap higher if you're gonna give just anybody max money. Or make the contracts like the NFL. NBA players are way to pampered. Why does all 100 million need to be guaranteed? NBA players union have amazing lawyers

Darius
01-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Of course.

He is a DPOY, you can run an offense through him and he is the best player on one of the best teams in the league.

Levity
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
That's what I'm scared of.

I did want him earlier this offseason but I just know this guy would he a huge bust if he came to NY for max money

Marc Gasol is built for the triangle. its gonna be a great fit.

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 01:42 PM
No make the salary cap higher if you're gonna give just anybody max money. Or make the contracts like the NFL. NBA players are way to pampered. Why does all 100 million need to be guaranteed? NBA players union have amazing lawyers
Your last two posts have nothing to do with the OP. There are NBA rules for the salary cap and under them Marc is worth the max.
Also if you consider him "just anybody" I'm 100% sure you just dislike him.
Have a nice evening, I'm going home.

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
And I'll being saying a told you so when you have a 33 year old broken down 7 footer making 25 million a year.

I'm not wishing injury but thats just how it goes, 7 footers don't stay healthy forever. I wouldn't pay any center in the NBA that much money. Even Dwight Howard can't stay healthy

Anyone could get hurt. And its almost always after 7/8 years that a player finally gets a max deal. EVERYONE has cracks after playing in the league that long.

Dwight has played 29,000+ min. Marc has played <16000.

And if you wouldn't pay any C in the league that much you would make a godawful GM.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Marc Gasol is built for the triangle. its gonna be a great fit.
Yeah that's if we're still running the triangle in 2 years

christian1923
01-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Anyone could get hurt. And its almost always after 7/8 years that a player finally gets a max deal. EVERYONE has cracks after playing in the league that long.

Dwight has played 29,000+ min. Marc has played <16000.

And if you wouldn't pay any C in the league that much you would make a godawful GM.
Spurs
Heat
Mavs
Lakers
Celtics

Neither of them paid a center max money when they won their recent championships.

This isn't pre 2006 anymore, and their are mono Drobs, Hakeem, ewings, shaqs anymore. Centers arnt that valuable anymore

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Spurs
Heat
Mavs
Lakers
Celtics

Neither of them paid a center max money when they won their recent championships.

This isn't pre 2006 anymore, and their are mono Drobs, Hakeem, ewings, shaqs anymore. Centers arnt that valuable anymore

KG plays C in todays NBA. Elite rim defender. Made 300M+ in the NBA.

Timmy is a top 5-8 all time player. And better than that as a rim protector. Only one player is within 1000 points of his DRAPM (his def impact - avg player impact) over the past 17 years (KG). He has made >200M in NBA salary

Pau Gasol plays C in today's NBA. Outstanding interior presence (back then anyways). Was making 19M as a C.

Chandler was one of the most dominant bigs in the league during the Mavs run. Completely cut off the basket. Parlayed D success to 20M/ contract.

These are your examples? They are horrid examples.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
KG plays C in todays NBA. Elite rim defender. Made 325M+ in the NBA.

Pau Gasol plays C in today's NBA. Outstanding interior presence (back then anyways). Was making 19M as a C.

Chandler was one of the most dominant bigs in the league during the Mavs run. Completely cut off the basket. Parlayed D success to 20M/ contract.

These are your examples? They are horrid examples.
Perkins was their center. KG never won a ring as a center

Bynum was their center. Pau never won a playoff game as a center

And chandler doesn't make 20 million.

GimmeThat
01-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Most teams would be willing to take on Marc plus whatever contract that comes with it which adds up to a max contract on their book.

Which means there will still be few teams willing to hand out the offer given they made it to the secound round with their best player being on a contract less than max

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Perk played 92 min in a 6 game series. Ergo KG never played C?

Bynum was 6/4 and 7/5 and played less than half of the minutes in their titles. Pau was their interior presence. I'd have respected you more if you would have said LO.

Sorry, 15M. When he signed the deal it was a huge % of the cap.

Ugh. You have such an archaic way of viewing basketball.

TaLvsCuaL
01-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Not true at all. He has consistently played both positions during most games as a Laker. In the 2009 run Bynum barely played 20 minutes per game and Pau played as Center most of the time with Odom as PF.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01/gamelog/2009/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bynuman01/gamelog/2009/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/odomla01/gamelog/2009/

christian1923
01-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Not true at all. He has consistently played both positions during most games as a Laker. In the 2009 run Bynum barely played 20 minutes per game and Pau played as Center most of the time with Odom as PF.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01/gamelog/2009/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bynuman01/gamelog/2009/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/odomla01/gamelog/2009/
So gasol would play 15 maybe 20 minutes a night at center? Well more in the playoffs.

nightprowler10
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
This thread is proof that the NBA forum is in the toilet. How is this an argument?

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM
This thread is proof that the NBA forum is in the toilet. How is this an argument?
It's just one guy, probably very young, who refuses to take the humble pie.

kshutts1
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Your last two posts have nothing to do with the OP. There are NBA rules for the salary cap and under them Marc is worth the max.
Also if you consider him "just anybody" I'm 100% sure you just dislike him.
Have a nice evening, I'm going home.
You should come out of lurking more often. You seem knowledgeable.

kshutts1
01-06-2015, 03:12 PM
After reading the three pages and all your answers I think you should have named the thread "worth max money any player outside Lebron, Durant or maybe Davis?"

If my limited English proficiency has not made me misunderstand you, I think your concern is more with the salary cap and the economic system that rules the NBA. Focusing on a player (Marc Gasol) leads to a misunderstanding of what you really want to ask.

I agree with you on some points. In my opinion most of the players who get the maximum end up having a negative impact on his team, because they are not good enough to lead his team with a mediocre roster and reduce the chance to make a more balanced/successful team.

But as others already said, in today's market Marc Gasol should get the max because there are many worse players than him getting paid.

It's the law of supply and demand.
One of the best posts I've ever read, on many levels: easy to read, knowledgeable, good insight... :cheers:

nightprowler10
01-06-2015, 03:15 PM
It's just one guy, probably very young, who refuses to take the humble pie.
Then it's a shame it's 6 pages already and is still a testament to how much this forum sucks right now.

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Then it's a shame it's 6 pages already and is still a testament to how much this forum sucks right now.
Yeah I agree... And another post :oldlol:

Dunaprenti
01-06-2015, 03:21 PM
You should come out of lurking more often. You seem knowledgeable.
Thank you but as nightprowler10 said there are too many posters who just spew shit for the heck of it. I don't know why this thread bugged me that much...

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 03:27 PM
So gasol would play 15 maybe 20 minutes a night at center? Well more in the playoffs.

Every time you post you show more gaps in your knowledge.

Why would a coach have them both on the court for 15 min and have neither on the court for 15 min? Then who would play C? Odom?!? No.

Bynum played ~22 min at C and Gasol played 26 min at C and ~7 at PF.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Every time you post you show more gaps in your knowledge.

Why would a coach have them both on the court for 15 min and have neither on the court for 15 min? Then who would play C? Odom?!? No.

Bynum played ~22 min at C and Gasol played 26 min at C and ~7 at PF.
Bynum was playing 29 mpg that year during the season. That's why I said gasol was playing 15-20 minutes at center.

What's wrong with that mr knowledgeable

IncarceratedBob
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Look at what Dwight makes. Marc should make more

kshutts1
01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I would be a bad FA GM because, while I understand how market determines value, I'm not the type to give out deals based on other's mistakes. In other words, I wouldn't give Marc a max deal just because Hibbert got one, and Marc is better.

Though for this particular thread, most posters said what I wanted to... I don't believe that Marc, in a vacuum, deserves the max, but considering all the other factors, he does deserve it and should get it.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Hey if you want a big 33 year old putting up 15&9 for 25 million a year then be my guest.

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Bynum was playing 29 mpg that year during the season. That's why I said gasol was playing 15-20 minutes at center.

What's wrong with that mr knowledgeable

Whats wrong with that? First off we are talking about TWO seasons not one. Secondly, Bynum played 1446 and 1977 minutes those two seasons. That is less than 21 mpg. Leaving 27 mpg at C. Pau played most of that, though clearly not all during Bynum's missed time, though he did play 3000 min the first season which is >37mpg.

HurricaneKid
01-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Hey if you want a big 33 year old putting up 15&9 for 25 million a year then be my guest.

And I'm done. You don't understand the game well enough to understand there are ways of impacting the game other than shooting.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Whats wrong with that? First off we are talking about TWO seasons not one. Secondly, Bynum played 1446 and 1977 minutes those two seasons. That is less than 21 mpg. Leaving 27 mpg at C. Pau played most of that, though clearly not all during Bynum's missed time, though he did play 3000 min the first season which is >37mpg.
Alright you got it man. This isn't about pau though. Who I would much rather have at 2/20 million over marc Gasol for 5/100 million.

christian1923
01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
And I'm done. You don't understand the game well enough to understand there are ways of impacting the game other than shooting.
I do and I understand his value. And in 3 years it won't be worth 25 million a year. He's 7'1 270 pounds.

Lebron is 30 and he's already declining physically, what do you thinks gonna happen to this yetti.

I know he plays with more skill then physical ability but let's just see if he can stay on the court. Cause I doubt it.

ihatetimthomas
01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Yeah he certainly is worth max. One of the few big men who play both ends of the court at very high efficiency. OP is acting like he would be the only guy on the team. Of course you can't win it alone, but you put him with another top tier talent and you have a nasty duo. He won't get you 30/16 but he will give you consistency and will anchor your D. You can also run offense though him as he is a great passer. So yes he is worth max, but no doubt he would need to be paired with another great player to have deep playoff success

miles berg
01-06-2015, 07:18 PM
He is the best center in the NBA. You saw his value when he was out last year and Memphis plummeted.

Dro
01-06-2015, 07:20 PM
I would say so. I always wondered why he didn't average more PPG and I guess the answer was because he didn't want to/wasn't his role. Now you see how he can average 20ppg....

AussieG
01-06-2015, 09:20 PM
He and Conley are the core of the team. When Z-Bo joined, that's when they became good (started winning in the playoffs). And did what J-Will, Pau and Mike Miller could never do (win a playoff game or series).

Z-Bo helped take the team to the next level but already Conley/Gasol were showing potential. They are similar players in that the numbers don't reflect their value. They will never be superstars but are just solid team players that can match up well against the top players in the league at their position. Conley isn't thought of as being a top PG, but has beaten Parker and Chris Paul in the playoffs etc. And there's been many 7 game series against Westbrook. They haven't beaten the Thunder with Westbrook but they've been epic series.

Gasol and Conley have played their entire careers together and both are like extensions of the coach on the court. Gasol is like a PG in a bigman. I didn't see much of Vlade Divac but I assume it was a similar thing for him. When Gasol is on the floor the ball moves better and when he is out, it's very hard to replace him. He is a very smart player, is tough and gritty and is very unselfish, but this season he's become a bit more aggressive. His numbers are better but he'll never be a 25/11 type of player. Even as an 18/9 player, he is very valuable, very versatile and a very good attitude so he is very coachable. There is no major weaknesses in his game, and even his athleticism is pretty decent these days. He's no Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin but he has other things that those players lack. He's very fundamental.