PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hell How Are The Hawks So Damn Good????

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 02:49 AM
They keep dominating every elite Western Conference squad like its nobody's business.

This can't be real life.

Akrazotile
01-06-2015, 02:51 AM
It's the fanbase

VengefulAngel
01-06-2015, 02:51 AM
It's the fanbase

hahaha:roll: :roll: :roll:

miggyme1
01-06-2015, 02:52 AM
good coach and they play for each other. they starting to remind me of the spurs...fun watching them play

Milbuck
01-06-2015, 02:58 AM
Korver, Antic, and Muscala are the keys to their success, literally no one else matters. I'm sure OP would agree with me on this.

oarabbus
01-06-2015, 03:00 AM
The Hawks are really something this year. No way I'd have expected them to be anywhere near this good. Can't wait to play them.

coin24
01-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Strong fan base.

hawkfan
01-06-2015, 03:03 AM
1. Ferry did a great job as GM.
2. Bud has been unreal as a coach.
3. Players are unselfish and come to work everyday.

plowking
01-06-2015, 03:05 AM
Korver, Antic, and Muscala are the keys to their success, literally no one else matters. I'm sure OP would agree with me on this.

:oldlol:

Springsteen
01-06-2015, 03:06 AM
I guess when their racist owner was outed it inspired them.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 03:08 AM

Denis Schroeder too. Even though he's technically black he has appropriated the whitest, most prototypical Aryan name possible.

plowking
01-06-2015, 03:10 AM
I guess when their racist owner was outed it inspired them.

Seems like a masonanddixon type team.

MMM
01-06-2015, 03:11 AM
why do people keep mentioning the fanbase???

It's crazy that people diss the Hawks for being irrelevant for 50 years then bash them for not having fan support.

:biggums:

The hawks franchise hasn't done much to earn the support of their fans over the years. Fans have long memories and until ownership shows a continue commitment to winning only then fans will come out and support the team. It's unfortunate for the current team but they are professionals and should be able to get through some adversity.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 03:14 AM
why do people keep mentioning the fanbase???

It's crazy that people diss the Hawks for being irrelevant for 50 years then bash them for not having fan support.

:biggums:

The hawks franchise hasn't done much to earn the support of their fans over the years. Fans have long memories and until ownership shows a continue commitment to winning only then fans will come out and support the team. It's unfortunate for the current team but they are professionals and should be able to get through some adversity.

They've always been a decent but not good enough team in the East. The lack of a fan base is almost inexplicable given how many others teams there are that have been even more mediocre yet have a decent fan base.

SouBeachTalents
01-06-2015, 03:17 AM
They've always been a decent but not good enough team in the East. The lack of a fan base is almost inexplicable given how many others teams there are that have been even more mediocre yet have a decent fan base.

Idk about that, you seriously can't get any more mediocre than the Hawks have been. How many teams have failed to make a conference final in 40 seasons?

MMM
01-06-2015, 03:21 AM

Southern cities are not great markets to begin with.

Atlanta loss their NHL team and the Braves have had their attendance issues as well. Attracting fans to spend their disposable income on sports rather than other entertainment areas seems like a difficult task to start with. The Hawks could be doing a lot better if they had better ownership over the years.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 03:22 AM
Idk about that, you seriously can't get any more mediocre than the Hawks have been. How many teams have failed to make a conference final in 40 seasons?

lol yeah I guess when you put it like that...but they have made the 2nd rd a shitload of times...

oarabbus
01-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Southern cities are not great markets to begin with.

Atlanta loss their NHL team and the Braves have had their attendance issues as well. Attracting fans to spend their disposable income on sports rather than other entertainment areas seems like a difficult task to start with. The Hawks could be doing a lot better if they had better ownership over the years.

I was going to dispute that statement but the more I think about it, the more true it is. Why is it? The south has their whole Southern pride thing going on, you'd think they'd show up to games.

To be honest, it's really just Texas. Texas teams kill it in terms of attendance for Football and Basketball.

triangleoffense
01-06-2015, 03:33 AM
the east

Dr. Ice
01-06-2015, 03:37 AM
I was going to dispute that statement but the more I think about it, the more true it is. Why is it? The south has their whole Southern pride thing going on, you'd think they'd show up to games.

To be honest, it's really just Texas. Texas teams kill it in terms of attendance for Football and Basketball.

They do...for college football.

People seriously underrate just how badly college football runs the state of georgia, it's like everyone's attention is just too focused on them(and the falcons for that matter)

sundizz
01-06-2015, 03:38 AM
When do they play the Warriors?

Ron Jeremy
01-06-2015, 03:40 AM
People need to respect hawks more. Our biggest knock over the years has been that we haven't had a true big but we've worked around it. The only thing I've disagreed with is the loss of Zaza Pachulia :cry: :cry: :cry:

Teague is most definitely in the same category as curry, lillard, lowry, and wall. Definitely underrated.

Millsap has been a match up nightmare for anyone guarding him because of his size and speed.

Horford is still coming around from his injury but he's regaining all-star form FAST.

Korver has been on pace for an unprecedented year from being the arc. I would take him over Wesley Matthews.

DC has been sort of a poor man's draymond green but he can guard the perimeter a bit better than him.

The bench is plug and play as well with veterans like Elton Brand holding it down. Look at Thabo, he's a totally different player and looks confident. Dennis is improving EVERY game and Pero exposes lazy bigs like hibbert by stretching the floor. Mike scott is just waiting to be unleashed and he can be like a danny green kind of guy.
It goes on and on.

Lastly, we have coach of the month Coach Bud who is undoubtedly a genius. He comes from the Pop coaching tree and is showing it. His line up changes are some of the best for every situation. He's outsmarted top coaches Doc, Terry, thibs, and many others.

This team is real and it's time to accept the truth. The only negative is some of the ATL residents. For years there were several instances when the crowd was cheering for the AWAY team. Magically now they are Hawks nation... Come on, you know who you are.

Oh did I mention we lead the league in assist to field goal ratio. That's a TEAM!

oarabbus
01-06-2015, 03:42 AM
They do...for college football.

People seriously underrate just how badly college football runs the state of georgia, it's like everyone's attention is just too focused on them(and the falcons for that matter)

I'm not trying to hate, but that's just silly to me.

We take college football seriously out here in CA, with Cal, Stanford, and the like (not saying as much as Georgia by any means though). Oregon does the same, obviously. Wisconsin, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Arizona, I could name half a dozen more states that take college football seriously... but still show up to Pro sports games.

At the end of the day Pro > College, I don't care if college is more "pure" the fact is pro is the highest, best, most impressive level of play. Makes no sense to me to put it behind college.

It's stupid for people to not be caring about the HAwks and Braves because of some college teams. At the very least I hope the Falcons sell out and take precedence over college.

sick_brah07
01-06-2015, 03:53 AM
Denis Schroeder too. Even though he's technically black he has appropriated the whitest, most prototypical Aryan name possible.

never thought about this

but yeh one of the most WHITE GERMAN names possible

Keno
01-06-2015, 04:36 AM
east > west. we've known this.

NastaMaverick
01-06-2015, 06:29 AM
the eastern conference spurs.

Top Gun
01-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Great coaching. Simple.

unknowns8
01-06-2015, 07:03 AM
it all boils down to 3 main points for the Hawks

korver shooting 93%FT and .5-something-something% on 3PTs

:bowdown:

Big Al Hordford and Paul Millsap doing their best ZBo/Gasol act

:applause:

Jeff Teague constantly being under-rated by opposition guards/coaches

:no:

All of this made possible by ther superb coach from the school of Pop

:cheers:

shut down at least 2 of the 3 points and you shut down the Hawks

:pimp:

T_L_P
01-06-2015, 07:10 AM
east > west. we've known this.

LeBron: didn't lose a Playoff series in Miami against the East.

Came up with a .500 record against the West.

The #8 Western team is better than the #3 Eastern team, tbh.

k0kakw0rld
01-06-2015, 07:11 AM
You wanna know why, take the time to watch games not just the box score. They play team ball and team defense. They hustle more than their opponent and Korver shoots 50% from 3. Millsap and Teague are truly their MVPs.

josh99
01-06-2015, 07:13 AM
What's the difference between now and last year?

Big Cheese
01-06-2015, 07:23 AM
What's the difference between now and last year?

Horford is healthy.

Got rid of a small iso heavy guard in Lou williams and replaced him with some lockdown defenders with length in Thabo and Bazemore, so our defense and ball movement has improved significantly

Schroder has improved dramatically.

basically thats it :confusedshrug:

josh99
01-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Horford is healthy.

Got rid of a small iso heavy guard in Lou williams and replaced him with some lockdown defenders with length in Thabo and Bazemore, so our defense and ball movement has improved significantly

Thanks, strange that they have seemingly improved so much since last year with so little changes. Same coach right? Ball movement seems to have improved a lot.

MMM
01-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks, strange that they have seemingly improved so much since last year with so little changes. Same coach right? Ball movement seems to have improved a lot.

The East is wide open and not facing a heatles calibre team showed give them confidence. If anybody can win the east then why not F'in them. Toronto has the same level of confidence and both are starting to establish them selves as very good teams. At some point you become what your record reflects what you are.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM
The East is wide open and not facing a heatles calibre team showed give them confidence. If anybody can win the east then why not F'in them. Toronto has the same level of confidence and both are starting to establish them selves as very good teams. At some point you become what your record reflects what you are.

Let's be honest, the Heat were never dominant outside of 2010-2011. This Hawks team could definitely beat the 2011-2014 versions of the Heat.

Also Hawks beat -rockets-mavs-clippers twice, it's not like they are beating up on shitty east conf squads

MMM
01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Let's be honest, the Heat were never dominant outside of 2010-2011. This Hawks team could definitely beat the 2011-2014 versions of the Heat.

Also Hawks beat -rockets-mavs-clippers twice, it's not like they are beating up on shitty east conf squads

That's is a solid point but the Heat's experience does give them an edge. More importantly though im not sure that the Hawks them selves would believe they could beat the heat, they would need to take an underdog mentality into the series. I think they benefit more so this season because they don't have to carry the burden of being underdogs.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 08:20 AM
That's is a solid point but the Heat's experience does give them an edge. More importantly though im not sure that the Hawks them selves would believe they could beat the heat, they would need to take an underdog mentality into the series. I think they benefit more so this season because they don't have to carry the burden of being underdogs.

Yeah the confidence aspect is a huge part of the game so it cannot be ignored. That said I am not sure I am sold on the Hawks. There isn't a one, single, seminal player on that squad who can take over a game in the playoffs when needed. I think they will lose in the Conf semis.

Richesly
01-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Yeah the confidence aspect is a huge part of the game so it cannot be ignored. That said I am not sure I am sold on the Hawks. There isn't a one, single, seminal player on that squad who can take over a game in the playoffs when needed. I think they will lose in the Conf semis.

Sap and Teague can take games over.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Sap and Teague can take games over.

But consistently and when gameplanned for?

I like Schroeder a lot. He crushed Dallas.

MMM
01-06-2015, 08:30 AM

Yeah but do you really need someone to take over the game in today's NBA????

Deficits are a lot more manageable in today's game with how proficient the 3 ball has become, so the hawks can hang around the team with "superstar" talent.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Yeah but do you really need someone to take over the game in today's NBA????

Deficits are a lot more manageable in today's game with how proficient the 3 ball has become, so the hawks can hang around the team with "superstar" talent.

Sure but how many times has a team won without a superstar in the last 20 years? I can only think of the 03-04 Pistons.

Milbuck
01-06-2015, 08:58 AM

I like the Hawks, they're quickly growing on me...but this is a joke right?

Big Cheese
01-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Im not scared of the heat because bud knows how to exploit the heat's defense overaggressive defense just like the spurs did in the finals.

the 2 games vs the heat this season, we lite them up like a christmas tree.

The only teams I am afraid of are teams with size in the paint like the bulls.

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 09:03 AM
I like the Hawks, they're quickly growing on me...but this is a joke right?

what do you mean?

It took them 7 games to beat a shitty Celtics team in 2011-2012 and then 7 to beat a shitty Pacers squad in 2012-2013...I see no reason why this Hawks team thats currently manhandling the West couldn't give them a tough series.

Nash
01-06-2015, 09:52 AM
don't the hawks have a lot of cap space to add a few pieces?

ronnymac
01-06-2015, 09:54 AM
their offense consist of great movement with and without the ball and they defend as well as anyone in the nba.

r15mohd
01-06-2015, 10:07 AM
possible fixed games to get a high sale price? :confusedshrug: :D no one had this type of hindsight for the Hawks, impressive but will it continue to prosper? I would like to see it happen, a good story for the 2014-15 season

Dresta
01-06-2015, 10:07 AM

This is the team that went on a 27 game win streak and won 66 games in 2013 - are you ****ing retarded? Serious question.

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Horford is healthy.

Horford is rebounding the worst of his career and he is not a the 18 PPG level he was at before he got hurt last season. I would say that he is a really good role player now.

nba_55
01-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Sure but how many times has a team won without a superstar in the last 20 years? I can only think of the 03-04 Pistons.

Last year's Spurs

ralph_i_el
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Two really good bigs, plenty of shooters, and great Coaching.

Very Spursian

Droid101
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
It's the fanbase
http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/beardedguyheadnod.gif

Dro
01-06-2015, 05:03 PM
I actually love watching them play, just hate their fans..all but 2 of them...Because they act like being objective means they have to sh*t on their team. It doesn't mean that. But it doesn't mean running around constantly talking about how elite they are and NEVER mentioning any of their flaws, that's how you get your fanbase hated....

But they honestly look like the best team in the NBA to me and I watched them destroy the Clippers last night.....They're an excellent team plus they share the ball and play excellent defense...Every player on the floor is a threat...You just never know how this style will work in the playoffs without one guy to consistently take over the game when you need to or when scoring is hard to come by in the playoffs.....Teague is very good and could be that guy for them...

I'm just not sure about their depth...When I check the box scores, there starters seem to play a lot of minutes and they have like 3 guys off the bench getting consistent minutes...It reminds of the Pacers the last few years playing the starters heavy minutes and always needed to upgrade the bench...

lilteapot
01-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Are you ****ing retarded :roll:

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I actually love watching them play, just hate their fans..all but 2 of them...Because they act like being objective means they have to sh*t on their team. It doesn't mean that. But it doesn't mean running around constantly talking about how elite they are and NEVER mentioning any of their flaws, that's how you get your fanbase hated....

But they honestly look like the best team in the NBA to me and I watched them destroy the Clippers last night.....They're an excellent team plus they share the ball and play excellent defense...Every player on the floor is a threat...You just never know how this style will work in the playoffs without one guy to consistently take over the game when you need to or when scoring is hard to come by in the playoffs.....Teague is very good and could be that guy for them...

I'm just not sure about their depth...When I check the box scores, there starters seem to play a lot of minutes and they have like 3 guys off the bench getting consistent minutes...It reminds of the Pacers the last few years playing the starters heavy minutes and always needed to upgrade the bench...

Mike Scott is the one that has disappeared. He averaged nearly 10 PPG last year in limited minutes, but he hasn't done shit this season.

Dro
01-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Mike Scott is the one that has disappeared. He averaged nearly 10 PPG last year in limited minutes, but he hasn't done shit this season.
That's it...Yeah, I couldn't remember. Why is not getting playing time? I think he's a good player, and he can stretch the floor. The main bench players I see when I watch ATL are Thabo, Dennis, and Antic...I'm probably missing someone..I don't even see Bazemore in the game that much unless he's hurt or something?

Richesly
01-06-2015, 06:17 PM
That's it...Yeah, I couldn't remember. Why is not getting playing time? I think he's a good player, and he can stretch the floor. The main bench players I see when I watch ATL are Thabo, Dennis, and Antic...I'm probably missing someone..I don't even see Bazemore in the game that much unless he's hurt or something?

Mack was our back up shooting SG, but Bazemore took his minutes BAzemore has been playing alot more recently. Antic has been playing pretty well as of late also.

Hawks will be able to add more depth in the off season as they have A LOT of cap space and Brooklyn's draft pick.

oarabbus
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Mack was our back up shooting SG, but Bazemore took his minutes BAzemore has been playing alot more recently. Antic has been playing pretty well as of late also.

Hawks will be able to add more depth in the off season as they have A LOT of cap space and Brooklyn's draft pick.

Why.. Bazemore is trash and Scott seemed to at least be a good offensive threat

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Poor rebounding and below average defense I would say.

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Bazemore is used somewhat sparingly. Mostly when coach Bud wants some swarming defense and defensive stops he will put both Bazemore and Thabo on the court at the same time.

Dro
01-06-2015, 06:25 PM
I don't think Bazemore is trash. I think he plays pretty good defense.....

Bosnian Sajo
01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Teague is most definitely in the same category as curry, lillard, lowry, and wall. Definitely underrated.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no, absolutely not, are you drunk? I like Teague, but he is in no way a tier 1 pg. I'd have a hard time putting him in tier 2 what with CP3, Rose, and Parker chillin there. imo he is a tier 3 pg along with Jennings, Walker, Holiday, etc.

Bosnian Sajo
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM

He played great when he was on the Lakers, haven't seen much of him on the Hawks but "trash" is kinda harsh. He is a good bench player.

oarabbus
01-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't think Bazemore is trash. I think he plays pretty good defense.....

Well shit. I guess things have changed since he played for us. He wasn't a bad defender then, but he was a total bonehead and overall a shitty player. Good for him if he's a serviceable backup now, I'd cringe when they put him in before.

Dro
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Well shit. I guess things have changed since he played for us. He wasn't a bad defender then, but he was a total bonehead and overall a shitty player. Good for him if he's a serviceable backup now, I'd cringe when they put him in before.
I feel that, you know a lot has to do with the culture...Its like when players go to the Bulls or even here in Indiana, when you have a culture of playing defense, and the organization emphasizes defense everybody kind of fits in and poor defenders become average, average defenders become good, etc....Look at Chris Copeland, looks like a decent defender in our system now, lol....Kyle Korver has become a good defender in ATL since they preach and teach defense now...His entire career, he was thought to be a poor defender...

GS to my knowledge has mainly always went for offense back to the Don Nelson days....I think the defense started coming when Mark Jackson took over, correct me if I'm wrong.....

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no, absolutely not, are you drunk? I like Teague, but he is in no way a tier 1 pg. I'd have a hard time putting him in tier 2 what with CP3, Rose, and Parker chillin there. imo he is a tier 3 pg along with Jennings, Walker, Holiday, etc.

He is better than Jennings and Walker. Jennings is a loser and so is Holiday. If Holiday was good that Pelicans team would be better.

Teague is not elite because he goes through periods to where he looks uninterested in the games... Which results in a number of 5-8 point type of performances.

I'm not really impressed with CP3 anymore.

Dro
01-06-2015, 06:55 PM
He is better than Jennings and Walker. Jennings is a loser and so is Holiday. If Holiday was good that Pelicans team would be better.

Teague is not elite because he goes through periods to where he looks uninterested in the games... Which results in a number of 5-8 point type of performances.

I'm not really impressed with CP3 anymore.
I actually think he's definitely better than Jennings and Holiday. Walker is the best of those 3 to me and I'm not sure if he's better than Walker yet...Kemba's been putting up close to 30 ppg in the recent games I've seen. He's really taken over since Lance has been out.....

Real14
01-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Illuminati.

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 06:59 PM
I actually think he's definitely better than Jennings and Holiday. Walker is the best of those 3 to me and I'm not sure if he's better than Walker yet...Kemba's been putting up close to 30 ppg in the recent games I've seen. He's really taken over since Lance has been out.....

Walker only shoots 39% from the field and 32% in 3's. His assists are low and his passing is so so.... Good rebounding PG, but I don't think he is overly dependable. He does not do anything better than Teague outside of rebounding. Even teague's PER is up over 22 while Kemba's is at 18.

Keep in mind that Kemba plays 5 MPG more than Teague does and he is still less productive:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4015/jeff-teague

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6479/kemba-walker

Dro
01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Walker only shoots 39% from the field and 32% in 3's. His assists are low and his passing is so so.... Good rebounding PG, but I don't think he is overly dependable. He does not do anything better than Teague outside of rebounding. Even teague's PER is up over 22 while Kemba's is at 18.
Yeah, he's definitely more efficient than Walker and probably a better PG than Kemba too..I think Kemba is a better scorer but Teague does more of what a PG is supposed to do. Get his team involved and score when needed. So actually, yeah he's probably better than Walker. Good post....

Hotlantadude81
01-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Yeah, he's definitely more efficient than Walker and probably a better PG than Kemba too..I think Kemba is a better scorer but Teague does more of what a PG is supposed to do. Get his team involved and score when needed. So actually, yeah he's probably better than Walker. Good post....

Keep in mind that Kemba plays 5 MPG more than Teague does and he is still less productive:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4015/jeff-teague

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6479/kemba-walker

Teague scores 17.3 PPG in 31 MPG and Kemba scores 18 PPG in 36 MPG.

JohnnyBravo5
01-06-2015, 07:12 PM
The Hawks Fan base deserves a frozen envelope. We need the Nets to fold, win the lottery and allow us to get Okafor.

BuffaloBill
01-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Bud

masonanddixon
01-06-2015, 07:13 PM
This is the team that went on a 27 game win streak and won 66 games in 2013 - are you ****ing retarded? Serious question.

They barely got through the postseason. They weren't dominant at all.

Real14
01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Bud
and Illuminati

hawksdogsbraves
01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
I actually like Bazemore as a 3rd guard off the bench, his defense is pretty decent and he's very athletic. Seems like a really good locker room guy too.

Wouldn't want him playing many more minutes than he does though. He's still new to the system though, it takes guys a while to fully buy in I think.

Dro
01-06-2015, 07:15 PM
They barely got through the postseason. They weren't dominant at all.
A 27 win streak is dominant...no matter how you look at it...If ATL did that, this forum would be unbearable with the Hawks fans......

Playoffs are about matchups so yeah they barely got through the postseason but they got through it...So until the Hawks officially do the same, you can't say they're better than another team that reached a higher level than the Hawks have so far....