PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Players you wish you watched play

KyrieTheFuture
01-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I mean live, not highlights or old game tapes.

1. Larry Bird
2. Wilt
3. Rick Barry
4. MJ
5. AI

kunk75
01-08-2015, 11:36 AM
wilt, oscar, jerry west, pistol pete in his prime, russell so i could decide for myself if he was overrated

Velocirap31
01-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I saw Iverson live ten years ago and he was amazing. He was shooting by himself early in the shoot around to start the game and didn't miss more than a few shots. I realized quickly that I would never be that good. Anyway:

1. Wilt (particularly his 50 pt season)
2. MJ
3. Magic, Kareem and Worthy together
4. Bird
5. Sir Charles

Lebowski
01-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I mean live, not highlights or old game tapes.

Larry Legend
Magic
Earl "The Pearl"
Pistol Pete
Wilt

T_L_P
01-08-2015, 11:41 AM
1. Lew Alcindor
2. Brad Daugherty
3. Bill Walton
4. Sidney Moncrief/Terry Cummings combo
5. Michael Jordan as a Bull

KobesFinger
01-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Jordan
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem

Jailblazers7
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see the evolution of these NBA careers/stories:

1. Dr. J
2. Barkley
3. Jordan
4. Magic/Bird
5. Isiah Thomas

Don't think I'd go much further back than the 80s. I'd love to see a prime Walton but it'd be a bummer to see his career washed away by injuries.

riseagainst
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Anthony Davis
Andrew Wiggins
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
George Mikan

artificial
01-08-2015, 11:52 AM
1. Wilt
2. Russell
3. ABA days Dr. J
4. Earl "GOAT" Manigault - Not an NBA player, but I've always found his story very intriguing.

And for (5.) might be off topic, but when it comes to "would have loved to see", seeing a prime Arvydas Sabonis in the NBA is always close to the top.

kshutts1
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Wilt, Doc, Connie Hawkins, Jay Williams, Greg Oden

Myth
01-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Wilt
Russell
Walton
Kareem
Oscar

elementally morale
01-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Wilt
Oscar
Russell
Pistol
Baylor

Dr.J4ever
01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
This is in order of my eagerness to have watched them play:

1. Julius Erving in the ABA--some say his play there shows he was the best SF ever until Lebron
2. Wilt--to finally decide if his stats match the stories of his greatness
3. Russell-- see #2
4. Jerry West-- As a child, my father made me watch West and Wilt with the Lakers, but I couldn't appreciate them since I was too young. Wish I could get that back.
5. Bob Cousy- to see if really old school PGs like him could have played in today's game

SHAQisGOAT
01-08-2015, 12:07 PM
I guess you're also including live on TV? I've been watching since I was a kid in the mid to late 80's, so I'm gonna say probably (without thinking much)...

Wilt
Pistol Pete
(peak) Kareem
Iceman Gervin
Bill Russell/Walton

Really diggin' most of the lists posted :applause: :rockon:

Would also love to see peak Dr J, David Thompson and Baylor...

ZeN
01-08-2015, 12:08 PM
1. Jerry West
2. Bill Russell
3. Magic Johnson
4. Larry Bird
5. Bill Walton

imdaman99
01-08-2015, 12:11 PM
1. Walt Clyde Frazier - Knicks were winning rings with him around
2. Willis Reed - The Willis Reed game
3. Larry Bird - Was alive, but too young and didn't follow basketball
4. Magic - Same as Bird
5. Wilt - To see how his superhuman stats would live up to today

Jlamb47
01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Allen Iverson
Tracy Mcgrady

Dr.J4ever
01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I like the fact that there are a lot of doctor j's here. As a teen watching doc with the 76ers, I just read about the old ABA Erving from older SI magazines and his biography, The Legend of Doctor J-the story of Julius Erving.

I was a nut for the guy.:bowdown:

Dro
01-08-2015, 12:21 PM
1. Dr J. I was born in 1980, would loved to have seen him in the ABA.
2. Wilt - of course
3. Pistol Pete
4. Gus Johnson - all his peers call him the Lebron of that era
5. Earl Monroe

kunk75
01-08-2015, 12:25 PM
1. Lew Alcindor
2. Brad Daugherty
3. Bill Walton
5. Michael Jordan as a Bull

trust me i saw enough of brad daugherty for both of our lifetimes

kunk75
01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
its pretty cool my son plays aau in what used to be the ABA nets arena. dr j was there often back then

Dr.J4ever
01-08-2015, 12:28 PM
its pretty cool my son plays aau in what used to be the ABA nets arena. dr j was there often back then
Would that be the old Nassau Coliseum in Long Island? I thought they had that demolished?

kunk75
01-08-2015, 12:29 PM
no, island garden on cherry valley avenue is where they practiced and where they played in the semi-pro abs days

Dr.J4ever
01-08-2015, 12:35 PM
no, island garden on cherry valley avenue is where they practiced and where they played in the semi-pro abs days

Okay, I looked it up. Here's where the Nets played:

New York Nets
2012 NBA/ABA Throwback Uniforms -
New Jersey Nets / New York Nets Throwbacks & Schedule
Index of All 2012 NBA/ABA Throwbacks
Years of existence: 1968-69 through 1975-76
Colors: Red, White and Blue
Home Arenas:
1968-69: Commack Arena (6,000)
Interior 1 | Interior 2
1969-70 through mid 1971-72: Island Garden (8,500)
Exterior
1971-72 through 1975-76: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (17,800)

kunk75
01-08-2015, 12:37 PM
still can't believe they fit 8500 people there, it's so small

T_L_P
01-08-2015, 12:45 PM
trust me i saw enough of brad daugherty for both of our lifetimes

Sarcastic/joke comment or?

What did you think of his play? I've watched maybe two full games of his and there's absolutely nothing on YouTube (2 mixes and 1 game highlight).

SHAQisGOAT
01-08-2015, 12:53 PM

:applause:

Young Terry Cummings was a beast; big and ripped, very athletic, good post-game, solid jumper, very good scorer, good on the boards, nice defensive player... Pretty fun to watch.

Then you got El Sid (leading them), who's most likely the GOAT m2m guard/perimeter defender... Something like a poor man's (prime) D-Wade on offense (similar in "style") too, great rebounding guard...

They also Pressey during those years, one of the greatest point-forwards ever, great defender.

Those teams were pretty great and exciting to watch on both ends... Shame that they were playing in (arguably) the GOAT conference, and then injuries derailed them.

Nowitness
01-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Shaq Daddy
Yao Ming
Tracy McGrady

SHAQisGOAT
01-08-2015, 12:57 PM

What did you think of his play? I've watched maybe two full games of his and there's absolutely nothing on YouTube (2 mixes and 1 game highlight).

Loved to watch his offensive play... Just a very good overall post-game, could knock down jumpers and he's one of the greatest passers out of the post ever, better yet one of the best passing centers, made it flashy too.

Those Cavs were very good and great to watch.

Shame for injuries though, as usually...

Dr.J4ever
01-08-2015, 12:58 PM

Young Terry Cummings was a beast; big and ripped, very athletic, good post-game, solid jumper, very good scorer, good on the boards, nice defensive player... Pretty fun to watch.

Then you got El Sid (leading them), who's most likely the GOAT m2m guard/perimeter defender... Something like a poor man's (prime) D-Wade on offense (similar in "style") too, great rebounding guard...

They also Pressey during those years, one of the greatest point-forwards ever, great defender.

Those teams were pretty great and exciting to watch on both ends... Shame that they were playing in (arguably) the GOAT conference, and then injuries derailed them.

Agree about Cummings. But before Cummings went there, it was Marques Johnson. He was a heck of a player/perennial AllStar/ all round SF. He would handle the point at times for the Bucks as their Point forward, but later on, yes it was Paul Presey.

thefatmiral
01-08-2015, 01:13 PM
1. AI
2. Wilt
3. david Robinson, I watched him as a kid but I don't remember much. actually kinda thought he was boring. but as an adult I appreciate it now.
4. prime wade
5. spud webb, one of my favorite players and not enough games online.

T_L_P
01-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks. :cheers:

As with Daugherty, there isn't a whole lot of footage out there on them (not that I can find anyway). I've seen enough of Moncrief to know he's one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, and he was more than capable of being the team's primary offensive option (I think he was All-NBA First Team once, though I'm not sure).

I have some old Spurs games which Cummings played in but he obviously wasn't what he was in Milwaukee. I heard he was a pretty lethal post scorer.

SHAQisGOAT
01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Agree about Cummings. But before Cummings went there, it was Marques Johnson. He was a heck of a player/perennial AllStar/ all round SF. He would handle the point at times for the Bucks as their Point forward, but later on, yes it was Paul Presey.

True, Marques was a baller, easily one of the most underrated/overlooked players ever. Dude had a great peak at the SF position, great point forward too like you've mentioned... Just a great all-around player in his best years, forgotten plenty nowadays.
Top2 SF in the league at some point, even made all-nba 1st over Erving once (Dr was the #1 SF in the league though)

Yea, before Moncrief/Cummings/Pressey/Pierce and so on, it was Marques/Winters/Bridgeman/(old) Lanier/Buckner... then Sid came around.
Coached by Nellie during the those years, who ran a great defensive "system", a defensive minded team before he coached the run-n-gun Run-TMC.

Thanks. :cheers:

As with Daugherty, there isn't a whole lot of footage out there on them (not that I can find anyway). I've seen enough of Moncrief to know he's one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, and he was more than capable of being the team's primary offensive option (I think he was All-NBA First Team once, though I'm not sure).

I have some old Spurs games which Cummings played in but he obviously wasn't what he was in Milwaukee. I heard he was a pretty lethal post scorer.

True, there's some but not a lot out there (on yt). I remember him in those late 80's/early 90's Cavs squads, which I love(d) to watch. Try to find some Cavs vs Bulls games or something, I believe a friend borrowed me some tapes once...

Moncrief was all-nba 1st at least once, yea. At some point the best SG in the league too, when Gervin declined and before Sid's injuries while Jordan came around too.
Indeed, dude was a terrific defender, great rebounder for his position/size, and provided more than good enough all-around offense. And he was out there playing hard every night, never "giving up" on any play.

Yea, Cummings had an early peak and he was never the same after injury in 1992 (I believe)... Dude was very hard to guard in his best years though, just really strong, very athletic, equipped with a nice post-game, good footwork and could knock some jumpers
I remember him alongside D-Rob too.

gcvbcat
01-08-2015, 03:40 PM
We only started getting NBA in india in the mud 90s.

1. Peak DRob
2. Magic/ Bird
3. Wilt
4. Peak Barkley
5. 80s MJ

lilteapot
01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
MJ
Wilt
Magic
Dr J
Hakeem

Rooster
01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Earl The Pearl
ABA Dr. J
Pistol Pete
Iceman Gervin
Tiny Archibald

T_L_P
01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
True, Marques was a baller, easily one of the most underrated/overlooked players ever. Dude had a great peak at the SF position, great point forward too like you've mentioned... Just a great all-around player in his best years, forgotten plenty nowadays.
Top2 SF in the league at some point, even made all-nba 1st over Erving once (Dr was the #1 SF in the league though)

Yea, before Moncrief/Cummings/Pressey/Pierce and so on, it was Marques/Winters/Bridgeman/(old) Lanier/Buckner... then Sid came around.
Coached by Nellie during the those years, who ran a great defensive "system", a defensive minded team before he coached the run-n-gun Run-TMC.

True, there's some but not a lot out there (on yt). I remember him in those late 80's/early 90's Cavs squads, which I love(d) to watch. Try to find some Cavs vs Bulls games or something, I believe a friend borrowed me some tapes once...

Moncrief was all-nba 1st at least once, yea. At some point the best SG in the league too, when Gervin declined and before Sid's injuries while Jordan came around too.
Indeed, dude was a terrific defender, great rebounder for his position/size, and provided more than good enough all-around offense. And he was out there playing hard every night, never "giving up" on any play.

Yea, Cummings had an early peak and he was never the same after injury in 1992 (I believe)... Dude was very hard to guard in his best years though, just really strong, very athletic, equipped with a nice post-game, good footwork and could knock some jumpers
I remember him alongside D-Rob too.

Just as we talk about Moncrief, I find this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2rnk5u/who_is_sidney_moncrief_oc/

Some cool stuff here. Definitely gave me a better picture of his game, along with your posts. :cheers:

kunk75
01-08-2015, 04:35 PM
he was fine, i'm trying to think of a comparison, he just never seemed to shine at big or critical moments. ron harper and price were my favorite cavs back then.

IncarceratedBob
01-08-2015, 05:19 PM
To anyone who wish they had seen Wilt play, coming from someone who saw him play in person, take a look at 2000 Shaq and triple the dominance.

GimmeThat
01-08-2015, 05:27 PM
nice thread title.

It makes me think that even just watching the first round of the playoffs might be an indicator in terms of styles or methods, in how future championships may be won.

To see something, others have yet to seen.

That_Admiral
01-08-2015, 05:40 PM
1. Larry Bird
2. Bill Russell
3. Wilt
4. Dr. J
5.Barkley

T_L_P
01-08-2015, 05:49 PM
nice thread title.

It makes me think that even just watching the first round of the playoffs might be an indicator in terms of styles or methods, in how future championships may be won.

To see something, others have yet to seen.

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ohhh.png

bdreason
01-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Wilt
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Prime Kareem (only saw old Kareem)

SHAQisGOAT
01-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Just as we talk about Moncrief, I find this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2rnk5u/who_is_sidney_moncrief_oc/

Some cool stuff here. Definitely gave me a better picture of his game, along with your posts. :cheers:

Good read there :cheers: Some nice insight too.

Love that game-winning floater over Dr J:

http://i.imgur.com/JxBNQW3.gif

Agree with most there but I don't know about those Bucks being fast-paced... Maybe relative to nowadays yea, but opponents are also different along with some "nuances" of the game, so it can't be compared straight up that way.
During those years they were pretty much always at the very bottom in terms of pace, Payton's Sonics were sometimes at the very top, for comparison... Bucks liked/tried to keep the pace down, and while having some pretty good offense, they were defensive-minded and won more cuz of D.

And yea, you look at some players aready in the HoF and realize that it's such a shame that Moncrief's not there yet, even with his career cut short by degenerative knees.

And that man wasn't out there gambling for steals or something, he was straight up locking down opponents.
www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312018
(read the 2nd post)

YT got some vids of him... Including a hour-long (I think) of him going up against Jordan in the Playoffs, playing some terrific D while contributing on the offense; Cummings playing like a beast too.

CeltsGarlic
01-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Bird
Hakeem
Wilt
Gary Trent
Danny Ainge

Asukal
01-09-2015, 06:39 AM
1. Wilt and Russell
2. Mikan
3. KAJ
4. prime Bird and Magic
5. 80's Jordan

SamuraiSWISH
01-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Bird
Magic
West
Kareem
Wilt

Milbuck
01-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Wilt
Russell
Dr J
Kareem
Oscar

SamuraiSWISH
01-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Honorable mentions to Pistol Pete, and Earl 'The Pearl' ... in his Washington days, without the leash.

Not the injury riddled guy who had to conform to a rigid system as he did in New York. His playground style would've been fun to watch.

Kind of the way Jason Williams got neutered when he played for Hubie Brown in Memphis.

artificial
01-09-2015, 10:20 AM
To anyone who wish they had seen Wilt play, coming from someone who saw him play in person, take a look at 2000 Shaq and triple the dominance.
That's precisely what makes me wish I could've seen him. Prime Shaq is the most dominant player I've seen play. Not saying he was a better player than Jordan or else, but prime Shaq had me feeling sorry for anyone that had to guard him... And it's pretty difficult to feel sorry for people that make that much $$$

So I can't just imagine someone way more dominant than Shaq. I believe Wilt was, it's just that it's a couple of steps further than I can realistically imagine. And from all I read, he was a superstar in all extension of the word... Being a pimp and doing crazy stuff all the time.

Man, must've been fun to watch.

christian1923
01-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Mj
Bird
Magic
Bias
Kareem

kunk75
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
len bias. i wish i got to see what he would have become. lenny cooke if he could have pushed himself away from the buffet and the bad people around him.