PDA

View Full Version : what trades can the Lakers make before the deadline?

triangleoffense
01-08-2015, 02:45 PM
I've heard rumors that they are looking into Paul George? Is that the best on the table? Lot of defensive big men on the team who can rebound but no real offensive paint presence, also there's doesnt seem to be a system either as the Lakers have had different lineups the past 3 games

riseagainst
01-08-2015, 02:54 PM
trade Kobe.

ArbitraryWater
01-08-2015, 02:55 PM
They're like a LeBron away from 3-peating

Levity
01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
We have good sized 3 expiring contracts, two of whom can help teams in playoff contention. so most likely we'll ask for picks back, albeit late ones. If mozgov can fetch 2 picks from the cavs (though, that stunk of desperation), a late 1st rd for Hill or Lin doesnt seem farfetched.

or bite the bulllet and see what it takes to land hibbert. dont know his contract off hand, but im thinking its shitty (remember POR going all out and IND matching). hes been more than lackluster for awhile, but hes a good pairing next to randle (next season), with davis coming off the bench.

GimmeThat
01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
you can't really make any good trades until teams officially declare their currently constructed plan for competing has failed

chocolatethunder
01-08-2015, 03:05 PM
We have good sized 3 expiring contracts, two of whom can help teams in playoff contention. so most likely we'll ask for picks back, albeit late ones. If mozgov can fetch 2 picks from the cavs (though, that stunk of desperation), a late 1st rd for Hill or Lin doesnt seem farfetched.
yes it's totally far fetched and I'll explain why. When Lin was traded to the Lakers, the Rockets had to give the Lakers a first round pick just to take Lin. Since the new CBA has been in effect, teams don't get picks for expiring contracts, they have to give picks in order for a team to take on those contracts. Mosgov is an anomaly because the cavs had been trying to get him and Denver knew they needed/wanted him and the Cavs had to pay their price. In addition, there is and will always be a premium on big men who can even barely pay. Why? Because there just aren't that many people who are actually that tall. There is no shortage of 6'3" guards. If the Lakers wanted to trade Lin they would probably have to surrender a 2nd round pick with him to make a deal.

Levity
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
yes it's totally far fetched and I'll explain why. When Lin was traded to the Lakers, the Rockets had to give the Lakers a first round pick just to take Lin. Since the new CBA has been in effect, teams don't get picks for expiring contracts, they have to give picks in order for a team to take on those contracts. Mosgov is an anomaly because the cavs had been trying to get him and Denver knew they needed/wanted him and the Cavs had to pay their price. In addition, there is and will always be a premium on big men who can even barely pay. Why? Because there just aren't that many people who are actually that tall. There is no shortage of 6'3" guards. If the Lakers wanted to trade Lin they would probably have to surrender a 2nd round pick with him to make a deal.

Would you say the same applies for Hill?

Rooster
01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
The only thing that makes sense for the Lakers is to give up productive players like Hill who has a good trade value for another expirer and a draft pick. Also they should just wait for those desperate teams that may want to pick up guys like Boozer, Davis, Johnson and willing to dangle draft picks.

fiddy
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
They're like a LeBron away from 3-peating
Bran for J Hill, Steve Nash and Rockets 1st

Bran is probably depressed playing in Cleveland, he needs more sunshine and spot lights

Rooster
01-08-2015, 04:19 PM

I don't get this. Let's say a team that is 10 million under the cap wants to get Hill, can the Lakers trade him for a draft pick? Or a team that has a player making 5 mil, can the Lakers trade him and get that player and a draft pick as long as that equals to 70% of J Hill salary.

longtime lurker
01-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Lin was a special case considering that the Rockets were under a time constraint to create room to make an max offer for Bosh. Typically teams don't give away 1st round picks to get rid of expiring contracts. If a team wants to bolster their bench for the playoffs it might be worth them trading a low 1st round pick for Hill. Lakers would rather just let Lin expire than to trade a pick with him unless they're getting back a better player.

IncarceratedBob
01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Umm Paul George is questionable to ever play in the NBA again and the Pacers are thinking about releasing him seeing as his injury isn't progressing correctly. Any team would be stupid to trade for him

chocolatethunder
01-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Lin was a special case considering that the Rockets were under a time constraint to create room to make an max offer for Bosh. Typically teams don't give away 1st round picks to get rid of expiring contracts. If a team wants to bolster their bench for the playoffs it might be worth them trading a low 1st round pick for Hill. Lakers would rather just let Lin expire than to trade a pick with him unless they're getting back a better player.
Since the new CBA teams have been including picks whether it's a first or a second to get teams to take contracts off their hands. The days of expiring contracts getting you something in return are over. That's a fact.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I've heard rumors that they are looking into Paul George? Is that the best on the table? Lot of defensive big men on the team who can rebound but no real offensive paint presence, also there's doesnt seem to be a system either as the Lakers have had different lineups the past 3 games

where the heck did you get the paul george thing?

Dr Seuss
01-08-2015, 05:35 PM
The days of expiring contracts getting you something in return are over. That's a fact.

Isnt Mozgov a FA after this season? So... not a fact.

chocolatethunder
01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Isnt Mozgov a FA after this season? So... not a fact.
You're joking right? Denver wanted two first round picks for Mozgov because they knew that Cleveland desperately needed a big and there is always a shortage of bigs. Cleveland acquiesced because they had extra first round picks so they felt that they could take the hit. If Varejao didn't go down there's no way in hell that Denver could have gotten two firsts for Mozgov.It had nothing to do with them unloading salary. You're retarded.

ralph_i_el
01-08-2015, 06:01 PM
What do they have off value to trade away? You don't just GET Paul George level players because you're the Lakers.

HurricaneKid
01-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Yeah they do. It happens all the time. The Clippers did the same thing with Dudley just to dump a 4M salary so they could sign Hawes who hasn't been nearly as good as Duds.

No one is giving ANYTHING for Hill. He is making 9M and no contenders A) have that kind of salary available and B) that salary is more productive than Hill.

The only thing of value the Lakers have is Randle (who is worth less because of the multiple surgeries) and their picks. All of which they need to start rebuilding.

AirFederer
01-08-2015, 06:08 PM
:applause: good post!

Dr Seuss
01-08-2015, 06:12 PM
You're joking right? Denver wanted two first round picks for Mozgov because they knew that Cleveland desperately needed a big and there is always a shortage of bigs. Cleveland acquiesced because they had extra first round picks so they felt that they could take the hit. If Varejao didn't go down there's no way in hell that Denver could have gotten two firsts for Mozgov.It had nothing to do with them unloading salary. You're retarded.

So, in other words, not a fact. You can bring up the CBA all you want, but thats not an all-encompassing answer. Jordan Hill can fetch a late first round pick and hes an expirer. Lin cant. but thats not the point.

and what did i say exactly that was retarded. what you said was retarded "expirers cant get a pick. fact" thats simply not true. every situation is different, but no need to put a blanket statement on something so broad. ease up on your anger.

hawkfan
01-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Lin and Nash for Brook Lopez.

chocolatethunder
01-08-2015, 06:25 PM
So, in other words, not a fact. You can bring up the CBA all you want, but thats not an all-encompassing answer. Jordan Hill can fetch a late first round pick and hes an expirer. Lin cant. but thats not the point.

and what did i say exactly that was retarded. what you said was retarded "expirers cant get a pick. fact" thats simply not true. every situation is different, but no need to put a blanket statement on something so broad. ease up on your anger.
No it is a fact because his contract had nothing to do with the trade. The practice of teams trading expiring contracts and getting picks in return is over. Is this weren't the case then Amare would be traded yesterday. So no, expirers that are getting traded because they are expiring aren't bringing picks back in return. You want to argue some dumb point that I obviously wasn't talking about. Mozgov wasn't traded because he was an expirer, that's a fact. In fact, Denver has been resisting trading him because they didn't want to let him go. However, Cleveland was in desperate need of a big so Denver ass raped them. Yes he's an expirer but that's not why he was traded. So yes I can make a blanket statement because the trade that just happened had nothing to do with his contract. So stop trying to argue and making yourself look smart because you just look stupid.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Lin and Nash for Brook Lopez.

nope. only if u include Karasev + M Plumlee

Rooster
01-08-2015, 06:38 PM
No it is a fact because his contract had nothing to do with the trade. The practice of teams trading expiring contracts and getting picks in return is over. Is this weren't the case then Amare would be traded yesterday. So no, expirers that are getting traded because they are expiring aren't bringing picks back in return. You want to argue some dumb point that I obviously wasn't talking about. Mozgov wasn't traded because he was an expirer, that's a fact. In fact, Denver has been resisting trading him because they didn't want to let him go. However, Cleveland was in desperate need of a big so Denver ass raped them. Yes he's an expirer but that's not why he was traded. So yes I can make a blanket statement because the trade that just happened had nothing to do with his contract. So stop trying to argue and making yourself look smart because you just look stupid.

This is not entirely true. Amare hard to trade because he has huge salary that draft picks not enough to match at least 70% of it nor no team has the cap to get him and willing to pay him that much

gts
01-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I can't see the Laker making any trades that would tie up cap room next summer or the summer after... it would have to be a special player OR an expiring that comes along with picks or something that helps them next summer

they're not going to take on a 2 year contract of some player who either ties up a ton of cap room or isn't in the best interests of the long term plans

Lakers are not going to toss away a season and halfs worth of laying a foundation just to move up a spot or two in the standings

Rooster
01-08-2015, 06:56 PM
I can't see the Laker making any trades that would tie up cap room next summer or the summer after... it would have to be a special player OR an expiring that comes along with picks or something that helps them next summer

they're not going to take on a 2 year contract of some player who either ties up a ton of cap room or isn't in the best interests of the long term plans

Lakers are not going to toss away a season and halfs worth of laying a foundation just to move up a spot or two in the standings

This is what I want and expect them to do. I'm hoping they can keep this year pick too.

KungFuJoe
01-08-2015, 06:58 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/509/everyone2.jpg

Dr Seuss
01-08-2015, 06:58 PM

listen, i understand what youre saying. but the point at hand is that the lakers have both Lin and Hill available for trades, if needed. and someone suggested the team trade hill for a late first round pick. then you jumped in here and said that wont happen because expirers dont bring back picks. that was never the point of the thread, though. you came in here to make a point that had nothing to do with the topic.

you dont think lin can generate anything substantial? ok i agree. but hill can. and no, it has nothing to do with his expiring contract, but it indeed helps any skepticism on the receiving team.

AirFederer
01-08-2015, 07:12 PM
I hear Stephon Marbury is available...

chocolatethunder
01-08-2015, 07:21 PM
listen, i understand what youre saying. but the point at hand is that the lakers have both Lin and Hill available for trades, if needed. and someone suggested the team trade hill for a late first round pick. then you jumped in here and said that wont happen because expirers dont bring back picks. that was never the point of the thread, though. you came in here to make a point that had nothing to do with the topic.

you dont think lin can generate anything substantial? ok i agree. but hill can. and no, it has nothing to do with his expiring contract, but it indeed helps any skepticism on the receiving team.

Someone said "we have three good sized expiring contracts...if Mozgov brings back two first rounders then Lin or Hill get get us one late first rounder" which in the case of Lin it's not possible.I was referring to Lin who is one of those expiring contracts. I didn't just pull something out of thin air. A poster said that and I quoted that poster.