PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of "Best Player In Basketball"?

k0kakw0rld
01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I wanna know the criterias to be the best basketball player in the world.

-Being alpha
-Killer Instinct
-Plays both ends at a high level (Defense & Offense)
-Leadership

Other criterias?

Once we done let's all take a deep breath and finally decide the true winnner. Cause there can only be one.

bizil
01-08-2015, 09:56 PM

-Being alpha
-Killer Instinct
-Leadership

Other criterias?

Once we done let's all take a deep breath and finally decide the true winnner. Cause there can only be one.

I think u have the criteria down. Typically, u gotta be an alpha dog and great all around player (for your position) to be the best in the world. In addition to having alpha dog level capabilities, u need to be great in two of the three other categories. Which are of course rebounding, passing, and defending. That's why these kind of guys can elevate teams in an epic fashion because they fill so many gaps.

The only exceptions to the rule I can think of are Moses Malone because he wasnt a great defender or passer for a big. And also Bill Russell (before Wilt got in the L) back in the day because he wasn't an alpha dog.

And when a perimeter guy was regarded as the best in the would, it was a guy in the 6'6 to 6'9 range who could play a minimum of three positions great. So that falls in line with MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, and Lebron. And by ALL RIGHTS Big O should be on that list too, but I don't think he was ever regarded as the best in the world with Wilt around in that same era.

buddha
01-08-2015, 09:57 PM
the best player in basketball.

MellowYellow
01-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Highest PER in the league

ArbitraryWater
01-08-2015, 10:01 PM
I guess it would have to be who the best is at playing basketball......................... I know, shocking

SouBeachTalents
01-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Highest PER in the league

:facepalm So players like Russell, Magic, Hakeem, Duncan and Kobe have never been the best in the league?

Budadiiii
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Kevin Durant

Thunderfan86
01-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Kevin Durant
This

smoovegittar
01-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Michael Jordan. That.

k0kakw0rld
01-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Kevin Durant
Yup 3/16 vs Best team and best player in the league.

Fudge
01-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Kevin Durant
:applause:

/thread

Budadiiii
01-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Yup 3/16 vs Best team and best player in the league.
Can't wait to watch the Warriors flame out in the playoffs like they always do.

Curry can't handle the playoffs. He'll never make a finals and he'll certainly never win a ring. Plus Klay is the much better player anyway. At least Klay plays D.

k0kakw0rld
01-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I think u have the criteria down. Typically, u gotta be an alpha dog and great all around player (for your position) to be the best in the world. In addition to having alpha dog level capabilities, u need to be great in two of the three other categories. Which are of course rebounding, passing, and defending. That's why these kind of guys can elevate teams in an epic fashion because they fill so many gaps.

The only exceptions to the rule I can think of are Moses Malone because he wasnt a great defender or passer for a big. And also Bill Russell (before Wilt got in the L) back in the day because he wasn't an alpha dog.

And when a perimeter guy was regarded as the best in the would, it was a guy in the 6'6 to 6'9 range who could play a minimum of three positions great. So that falls in line with MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, and Lebron. And by ALL RIGHTS Big O should be on that list too, but I don't think he was ever regarded as the best in the world with Wilt around in that same era.
Thank you for actually responding to my OP. Mostly SFs in that case, I assume :confusedshrug:

MellowYellow
01-08-2015, 10:40 PM
:facepalm So players like Russell, Magic, Hakeem, Duncan and Kobe have never been the best in the league?

I agree, aside from Hakeem who was the best when Jordan retired.

Marchesk
01-08-2015, 10:44 PM
50/25

FKAri
01-08-2015, 10:45 PM
A great list of criteria you have. There's just one thing I'd like to add to your criteria, "being reasonably good at basketball".

La Frescobaldi
01-08-2015, 10:46 PM
http://www.sikids.com/sites/default/files/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/nba-finals-mvp/images/wilt-chamberlain.jpg

http://www.thetallestman.com/images/kareemabduljabbar/kareemabduljabbar.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/164gmh.jpg

These are the Three, all others are merely........ human

La Frescobaldi
01-08-2015, 10:49 PM

-Being alpha
-Killer Instinct
-Leadership

Other criterias?

I saw all three of those guys in their glory and after 40+ years I still can't decide. They are so far away from anybody else that it's not even close.

But deciding between the 3 is impossible.

They are the summit, those 3.

JebronLames
01-08-2015, 10:55 PM
LeBron

DatAsh
01-08-2015, 11:15 PM
For me, it's always been the player that gives the average team the best chance of winning. Players playing different roles can make it pretty hard to tell sometimes, but that's what I try to go by.

TheBigVeto
01-08-2015, 11:23 PM

Kobe has never been the best in the league.

iTare
01-08-2015, 11:32 PM
If I want to win a title this season, these playoffs, i'll take LeBron Raymone James.

bizil
01-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Thank you for actually responding to my OP. Mostly SFs in that case, I assume :confusedshrug:

Ya for perimeter players mainly SF's and those 6'6 SG's like MJ and Kobe. MJ and Kobe could play PG, SG, and SF as well as provide great defense. But Bron, Bird, and Magic are so unique because they can play the power forward too. They have big man elements in their games that MJ and Kobe don't have. So as they can move to the PF and create SICK MISMATCHES!

Also when they get older and slow down, they move to the PF more exclusively if they need too. Bird in particular rebounded as well as most PF's when he played that spot. I've always said that Bron, Bird, and Magic are the BRIDGE between the perimeter and power positions. So whenever a perimeter player was regarded as the best in the world, it was those players who were alpha dogs AND had EPIC versatility in that 6'6 to 6'9 range.

SavageMode
01-09-2015, 02:15 AM
Shaq/Lebron