PDA

View Full Version : LMA

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Watching Aldridge throughout the years, to me he's been almost a no impact player according to the eye test. The stats may suggest differently and he's probably the best mid-range big in the game, but I never seem to notice him on the court unless I put him under a microscope. He's more boring to watch than Tim Duncan.

The average TS% for players in 2014 was 0.53 and LMA was at 0.507. He's currently ranked 219 with the likes of Tony Allen, Kaman, and Perry Jones at 0.518. Poor free throw and 3pt shooter in Blake Griffin averages a 0.56 for his career. Aldridge has the same defensive rebounding rate as Chris Bosh since 2011. Last year he shot almost 46% and this year...the same. He does it without shooting 3s too. He took 899 mid-range jumpers last year which is 133 more than second place Carmelo.

I like the dude with his humbleness and skills. I just can't put him in the top 1, 2, or even 3 power forwards like most do. Even though he may be the better player, Portland goes as far as Lillard takes them. Their real leader.

Myth
01-09-2015, 02:30 PM
No impact because he is boring like Duncan? :biggums:

You must have missed watching him in the playoffs against Houston as well.

Jlamb47
01-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Watching Aldridge throughout the years, to me he's been almost a no impact player according to the eye test. The stats may suggest differently and he's probably the best mid-range big in the game, but I never seem to notice him on the court unless I put him under a microscope. He's more boring to watch than Tim Duncan.

The average TS% for players in 2014 was 0.53 and LMA was at 0.507. He's currently ranked 219 with the likes of Tony Allen, Kaman, and Perry Jones at 0.518. Poor free throw and 3pt shooter in Blake Griffin averages a 0.56 for his career. Aldridge has the same defensive rebounding rate as Chris Bosh since 2011. Last year he shot almost 46% and this year...the same. He does it without shooting 3s too. He took 899 mid-range jumpers last year which is 133 more than second place Carmelo.

I like the dude with his humbleness and skills. I just can't put him in the top 1, 2, or even 3 power forwards like most do. Even though he may be the better player, Portland goes as far as Lillard takes them. Their real leader.

Crazy how you bring this up, because i was thinking about this when watching Portland play lastnight. Portland is definetly going as far as Damian takes them. When LMA was sitting out, they were still winning and Damian was str8 beast.Dude runs the offense so well. LMA is top 5 Pf but i believe his impact isnt all that

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 02:33 PM
No impact because he is boring like Duncan? :biggums:

You must have missed watching him in the playoffs against Houston as well.
I don't find Duncan boring.

Yeah, I didn't watch him last year against Houston. I watch him probably 3-4 times a year and he's just not a game changer to me. He piles his stats in the flow in the game a jumper at a time and doesn't impose his will. Nothing special on defense either. His pick and roll game and help defense is lacking but his man-to-man in the post is pretty solid.

Spurs5Rings2014
01-09-2015, 02:47 PM
I don't find Duncan boring.

:applause:

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 02:54 PM
:applause:
Awesome back to basket game, ability to pass from anywhere, bank shot, hook shot, mid-range jumper, effective pump fake, and everything on D. He has all the tools and skills. He's a DJ mixing everything up. Also has a top 2 troll smile no homo. :D

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/06/duncan-howard.gif

BasedTom
01-09-2015, 03:01 PM
I disagree OP.

keep-itreal
01-09-2015, 03:18 PM
He shoots jumpers instead of going inside. Pau Gasol is better

Yoda
01-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Overrated Aldridge is.

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 03:22 PM
He shoots jumpers instead of going inside. Pau Gasol is better
Both statements are true. Pau is probably the second best PF right now after AD.

Practice?
01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
I just can't put him in the top 1, 2, or even 3 power forwards like most do.

Who do you have over him? I have him at #2 assuming we are counting Davis as a PF.

Crown&Coke
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
I really like LMA, but his true impact will shine come playoff time. Regular season you can run around and play uptempo ball and that favors the guards.

He plays the high post a lot, but dude can post. With his high release it's a tough cover.

Dame is a stud and lifts them up to another level, but LMA is a beast and without him they would drop a level or two.

And Duncan aint boring, he is a dying breed

ralph_i_el
01-09-2015, 04:10 PM
He shoots a ton of midrange J's. That's not a good thing.

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Who do you have over him? I have him at #2 assuming we are counting Davis as a PF.
Based on right now, AD and Pau. I have a 3 way tie between LMA, Blake, and Millsap. I'll give LMA the edge though based on overall production.

Mass Debator
01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I really like LMA, but his true impact will shine come playoff time. Regular season you can run around and play uptempo ball and that favors the guards.

He plays the high post a lot, but dude can post. With his high release it's a tough cover.

Dame is a stud and lifts them up to another level, but LMA is a beast and without him they would drop a level or two.

And Duncan aint boring, he is a dying breed
I didn't watch him last year in the playoffs but wasn't he going against Terrance Jones? Didn't that have something big to do with his highly regarded series?

He's a tough cover true but that's the reason why for this thread really. Why isn't he doing more? Why always settling? He's great at what he does but the stats suggest he isn't being that efficient. He should be shooting over 50% easily for a big man who rarely takes 3s.

Seriously, I'm rooting for the Blazers out West with Memphis. I want to see more intangibles. Up his intimidation factor and the ability to pass from the post while driving. From what I'm seeing, Lillard is the leader, Matthews is the heart and soul, and Aldridge...I just don't know. No disrespect...it is what it is.

Myth
01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I didn't watch him last year in the playoffs but wasn't he going against Terrance Jones? Didn't that have something big to do with his highly regarded series?

He's a tough cover true but that's the reason why for this thread really. Why isn't he doing more? Why always settling? He's great at what he does but the stats suggest he isn't being that efficient. He should be shooting over 50% easily for a big man who rarely takes 3s.

Seriously, I'm rooting for the Blazers out West with Memphis. I want to see more intangibles. Up his intimidation factor and the ability to pass from the post while driving. From what I'm seeing, Lillard is the leader, Matthews is the heart and soul, and Aldridge...I just don't know. No disrespect...it is what it is.

I do agree that Lillard is the motor and heart and soul, but LMA's talents cannot be overlooked. And the versatility of LMA is one of those significant intangibles. I too would like him back to the basket more often, but that is an effective weapon for him regardless of if he uses it enough. Against the Rockets he did eat up Jones as you mentioned, which he did by backing him down. That means the Rockets had to make a change, which meant putting a rim protector on him. Howard and Asik then had to be used on him (mostly Asik), and then LMA's ability to spread the floor came into play, pulling Asik out of the paint. It put the Rockets in a huge dilemma: Let Aldridge continue beasting Jones, or play a rim protector away from the basket (since Asik was usually the one, that effectively meant that Howard had no back up once they both got tired). That is clear cut intangibles.